• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough, but that seems like a really odd design choice frankly.

I still think we are getting more newcomers than people are thinking though. I wouldn't be surprised if we did get 12 more characters, but we are at least getting 6. There is no way so many fan favorites don't make the cut.
Sadly I think we are gonna see quite a few fan favorites missing from base game. in general I'm getting a vibe from nintendo that they are nervous fans will be upset about the lack of brand new characters. and it would be likely that reviewers would dock points off their scores because the game doesn't have much in the way of new characters and stages.

the game seems to have a focus on repurposing older content while also making quality of life changes to the game people have been really asking for.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I've been thinking on it and I kinda hope that Geno image leak is the real deal. I can stop being so nervous. That being said has anyone found the model anywhere online? I havent heard anything to prove it fake. Just distaste at the design...

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking on it and I kinda hope that Geno image leak is the real deal. I can stop being so nervous. That being said has anyone found the model anywhere online? I havent heard anything to prove it fake. Just distaste at the design...
well with the lightning looks like whoever made it put a lot of work into making the lighting look real. so there probably isn't an image of a seperate model out there. was probably all self made. so unless he wants to pull an artsy omni to get him some attention for his work. but in this case everyone is calling it super ugly so in that case he probably wouldn't want to even do that. would just get him a bunch of hate without any of the benefits.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sadly I think we are gonna see quite a few fan favorites missing from base game. in general I'm getting a vibe from nintendo that they are nervous fans will be upset about the lack of brand new characters. and it would be likely that reviewers would dock points off their scores because the game doesn't have much in the way of new characters and stages.

the game seems to have a focus on repurposing older content while also making quality of life changes to the game people have been really asking for.
Pretty much this. I barely expect four new characters at this point and I don’t believe Sakurai is going to pull some massive gotcha moment with the roster at the last minute. I don’t understand how people can think this honestly as:
1. At E3 he said don’t expect too many newcomers
2. Said there were only a few more after the Echo fighters in the August Direct. We already have gotten King K Rool and Isabelle since that comment, so that’s already decreasing the pool.
3. His Famitsu column altogether should have been the last death nail for any potential hype train of a ton of characters. He admits to being too trigger happy with reveals and that reveals will slow down.
4. Smash 4’s hype cycle pretty much concluded with a whimper anyway. Shulk was requested and from a popular game, but he wasn’t even internationally revealed. Then we just had Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, and... Dark Pit. Not exactly what I’d call the most hype newcomers for the game.

Has he gone beyond expectations? Honestly, yeah, for me at least. Is he going to sore past that? Probably not. Two more unique and two more Echo fighters like the August Direct feels right to me. And I doubt we get anything outside of a final Smash direct. There isn’t really a reason for an additional Direct anywhere, except maybe for Pokémon? And a general Direct is either too soon or too late seeing as they will have definitely revealed everyone by the end of November.

And honestly? They aren’t missing the number of fan favorites people make a big deal about. Skull Kid really had his explosion after the supposed leaks, but his status as a top request is relatively recent. Elma has solid support but never had some insane backing. Shantae kind of exists in a weird position where there’s a question if Sakurai even considered her in the least bit and she’s only really built that support off of a campaign WayForward did during the ballot and the subsequent fallout of that campaign. Banjo Kazooie is likely a much larger legal headache than most people make him out to be, he’s never been impossible but he’s not exactly likely either. Retro reps don’t really seem to have a space here either.

Really, it comes down to four fan favorites I know of that are missing with perhaps a more developed support base: Paper Mario, Geno, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee. And they all have reasons to get in and not to get in. Geno and Isaac can’t escape the dead games reality, and there is always a (devastatingly awful if real) chance that even fan support in the face of a dead franchise or character means nothing. King K Rool was a first good step, but we need to go further. Paper Mario has gotten some real flack over recent years and it’s entirely possible that Sakurai doesn’t want another Mario in the roster. He’s already got a stage without a reveal, and that feels like a death sentence. Finally Bandanna Dee is probably in the best shape all around, but does Sakurai actually see him as all that important or unique? Cause he is our literal word of God at this point.

I think you have those four missing, with a good chance for at least one to get in. Though that’s the competition at this point. And Pokémon is always going to be a looming presence that could take a place on the roster. As are any curveballs. And then i think we just see Ken and Shadow as Echo fighters.

That kind of covers all the big ones we have left. The rest are either in at this point, or properly assist trophies. He’s missing a few fan favorites, yes, but not exactly a lot of them either. And those left could run in to some issue along the way for all we know. They could also easily show up as DLC too.

God I just want this final Direct to know and move on to just been hyped for the game haha.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder

Someone posted this in the discord. More than likely fake given Isaac's orientation, and the notches in the logo, but have to admit, I really like this render. Best one I've seen so far. Just wanted to share this beautiful render.

EDIT: Image wont load but link might work? https://i.imgur.com/wVBXtY7.png

Anyone seen this? Takeing look at 70 next to Isaac. Anyone have any insight on if this is real or fake and why? Quoting someonenfrom the Isaac thread who posted this.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Anyone seen this? Takeing look at 70 next to Isaac. Anyone have any insight on if this is real or fake and why? Quoting someonenfrom the Isaac thread who posted this.
while an amazing render that nobody has found yet, the placing of isaac and the logo being choppy elude to it probably being fake. Isaac's hair color is off as well. Although, i'd love for it to be real for us both. Isaac and Geno deserve to get in together.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
while an amazing render that nobody has found yet, the placing of isaac and the logo being choppy elude to it probably being fake. Isaac's hair color is off as well. Although, i'd love for it to be real for us both. Isaac and Geno deserve to get in together.
They have both been my two most wanted characters since Brawl. It would literally by a dream come true.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'd actually contest Isaac's hair color is accurate, considering Cloud's is also a bit washed out. They both have similar hair color usually, and it seems the image itself is washed out.

What's wrong with the logo, if I may ask?

Last edited:

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
I'd actually contest Isaac's hair color is accurate, considering Cloud's is also a bit washed out. They both have similar hair color usually, and it seems the image itself is washed out.

What's wrong with the logo, if I may ask?
It appears to have rough edges on what would be straight lines. In other words, pixelated aritfacting. The other Icons comparatively are relatively smooth whilst this one appears very jagged upon close inspection. However, this may just be the distortion from the camera, as there are traces that this was taken of a screen and not a screenshot.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It appears to have rough edges on what would be straight lines. In other words, pixelated aritfacting. The other Icons comparatively are relatively smooth whilst this one appears very jagged upon close inspection. However, this may just be the distortion from the camera, as there are traces that this was taken of a screen and not a screenshot.
Ahh, I see what you mean. The resolution is bad throughout though, so that may just be the camera, like you said.

Something else I noticed while really getting in close: The number 69 seems to be a tiny bit too small compared to the other numbers. It also appears to have an incorrect angle to the other numbers (It skews right instead of left.)

So it may very well be fake. It does seem suspicious that someone managed to get this picture of Isaac, but didn't bother to angle slightly to the right to get Geno's render too...I mean, it would be right there, lol. I guess they didn't want to bother making another render?;)

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I bought a Switch over the weekend to prepare for Smash (and Pokemon Let’s Go)! I’ve already got the GameCube controller adapter and 4 controllers so I am ready to Smash on December 7!

I am currently playing Mega Man 11 and Bayonetta 2 to distract myself from the great knowledge drought of 2018. Mega Man 11 is as difficult and Bayonetta is as vulgar as I’d hoped for! Also got Switch Online set up and played some Mario 3 on the NES suite that it comes with!

As for that leaked Geno render, while I’d prefer Geno not have pringles ears, it’s no big deal to me as long as I get to play as him and his moveset is faithful to his moves in SMRPG. I’ve waited for this moment since Brawl, I’m not gonna let a couple of earlobes ruin it for me.

I hope they announce a direct soon!
I am thirsty for new info.

Last edited:

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Gonna swooce in here to say that I really, really hope that render leak isn't real. I really do want Geno, but c'mon guys. I wouldn't settle for an ugly model just for the sake of having Geno in. If he's gonna be in, he should get the same treatment that King K. Rool and Ridley got - a dope redesign that "updates" him so that he looks like he fits in with the other characters in his series and other characters in the game.

So... that means that Geno shouldn't have a bobblehead like he did in SMRPG. In Smash, I'd expect him to have similar proportions to Mario.

domriver

Smash Lord
Gonna swooce in here to say that I really, really hope that render leak isn't real. I really do want Geno, but c'mon guys. I wouldn't settle for an ugly model just for the sake of having Geno in. If he's gonna be in, he should get the same treatment that King K. Rool and Ridley got - a dope redesign that "updates" him so that he looks like he fits in with the other characters in his series and other characters in the game.

So... that means that Geno shouldn't have a bobblehead like he did in SMRPG. In Smash, I'd expect him to have similar proportions to Mario.
I agree . Though i personally wouldn't mind that supposed "leaked" model. You know we will ALL grow to like it eventually xD

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
I agree . Though i personally wouldn't mind that supposed "leaked" model. You know we will ALL grow to like it eventually xD
It'd feel like a hollow victory. Yeah, he's in, but he looks like garbage. It'd feel like an insult more than anything else.

TBone06

Smash Ace
It'd feel like a hollow victory. Yeah, he's in, but he looks like garbage. It'd feel like an insult more than anything else.
I don’t have any doubts in my mind that if he’s in, Sakurai will make him look awesome. I’m not worried about that at all.

This is interesting. Typically I don't believe these at all, and I don't personally believe this. But it really does look well done to the untrained eye. It also means there would be a second echo somewhere based on the slots the current characters are in. If Isabelle is in the far right section, that means there has to be two echoes before her, and even more interesting, one of those echoes wouldn't be Ken. You can see Duck Hunt and Cloud (59 and 61) meaning Ryu is between them, and there isn't room for an echo. This means there are two echoes before Bowser Jr. (Maybe Shadow and Dixie?). But if you believe Verge, this one is a write off because it doesn't have either Ken or Incineroar. It also means if we WERE to get those two after, that would give us six more characters, which I think is pushing it. However, as I don't really care for either Ken or Incineroar, I would be perfectly fine with it. Isaac and Geno? PLUS two other echoes. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Pretty much this. I barely expect four new characters at this point and I don’t believe Sakurai is going to pull some massive gotcha moment with the roster at the last minute. I don’t understand how people can think this honestly as:
1. At E3 he said don’t expect too many newcomers
2. Said there were only a few more after the Echo fighters in the August Direct. We already have gotten King K Rool and Isabelle since that comment, so that’s already decreasing the pool.
3. His Famitsu column altogether should have been the last death nail for any potential hype train of a ton of characters. He admits to being too trigger happy with reveals and that reveals will slow down.
4. Smash 4’s hype cycle pretty much concluded with a whimper anyway. Shulk was requested and from a popular game, but he wasn’t even internationally revealed. Then we just had Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, and... Dark Pit. Not exactly what I’d call the most hype newcomers for the game.

Has he gone beyond expectations? Honestly, yeah, for me at least. Is he going to sore past that? Probably not. Two more unique and two more Echo fighters like the August Direct feels right to me. And I doubt we get anything outside of a final Smash direct. There isn’t really a reason for an additional Direct anywhere, except maybe for Pokémon? And a general Direct is either too soon or too late seeing as they will have definitely revealed everyone by the end of November.

And honestly? They aren’t missing the number of fan favorites people make a big deal about. Skull Kid really had his explosion after the supposed leaks, but his status as a top request is relatively recent. Elma has solid support but never had some insane backing. Shantae kind of exists in a weird position where there’s a question if Sakurai even considered her in the least bit and she’s only really built that support off of a campaign WayForward did during the ballot and the subsequent fallout of that campaign. Banjo Kazooie is likely a much larger legal headache than most people make him out to be, he’s never been impossible but he’s not exactly likely either. Retro reps don’t really seem to have a space here either.

Really, it comes down to four fan favorites I know of that are missing with perhaps a more developed support base: Paper Mario, Geno, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee. And they all have reasons to get in and not to get in. Geno and Isaac can’t escape the dead games reality, and there is always a (devastatingly awful if real) chance that even fan support in the face of a dead franchise or character means nothing. King K Rool was a first good step, but we need to go further. Paper Mario has gotten some real flack over recent years and it’s entirely possible that Sakurai doesn’t want another Mario in the roster. He’s already got a stage without a reveal, and that feels like a death sentence. Finally Bandanna Dee is probably in the best shape all around, but does Sakurai actually see him as all that important or unique? Cause he is our literal word of God at this point.

I think you have those four missing, with a good chance for at least one to get in. Though that’s the competition at this point. And Pokémon is always going to be a looming presence that could take a place on the roster. As are any curveballs. And then i think we just see Ken and Shadow as Echo fighters.

That kind of covers all the big ones we have left. The rest are either in at this point, or properly assist trophies. He’s missing a few fan favorites, yes, but not exactly a lot of them either. And those left could run in to some issue along the way for all we know. They could also easily show up as DLC too.

God I just want this final Direct to know and move on to just been hyped for the game haha.
God I've never seen a more dreary outlook and I must say I disagree entirely on multiple points. Also, I want to proceed this by saying that I don't personally feel that anyone's character means less than another's, but rather that I'm taking in information and logically looking at likelihood of inclusion from that information. If I say you character you loved didn't have much a chance, realize now that it's not because I hate them or anything but that the odds didn't seem very high based on evidence.

1. Sakurai has said many things before and not followed through, one way or another.
2. Refer to 1.
3. Refer to 1 yet again, but even better to mention that either in that interview or another he did mentioned twisting arms and pulling favors I believe, don't quote me on the pulling favors part but he definitely mentioned twisting arms. This could refer to getting older characters back like Snake but it could just as likely refer to more difficult newcomers.
4. This isn't Smash 4, my friends: this is ULTIMATE! That's what I'm trying to get at here, there is no way something this hyped up gets dropped hard. We are getting minimum 3 unique newcomers and I'll bet money that we get more. Sure, maybe we won't get anything crazy like the 12 newcomers split between uniques and echos I originally was supporting, but I've said ever since the box theory we are getting between 3-6. People are sleeping on Sakurai.
5. Characters that have been popular more recently really don't stack up for me, which is why Shovel Knight made it in as AT and I think Shantae will as well if she gets in at all. There are higher priority characters and I think the priority is the long-time requests, though I really wish everyone could get who they want. Skull Kid never seemed likely as LoZ was the only franchise that got a remade BotW Link and a returning character in the form of Young Link as well as redesigns for Zelda and Ganondorf plus a new stage...that's way more than enough attention when you consider comparing that against Metroid or DK who hadn't gotten many reps over the franchise's history and had roughly the fewest number of reps for the longest amount of time.
6. I think you are flat out wrong about B&K being a nightmare, mainly because everyone is stating how easy it is for Sakurai to get Sora, and if it's that simple to get Sora than it should be even simpler to get B&K. Phil wants them in Smash, they represent the N64 golden era, Sakurai loves MineCraft and knows the Brawl and Ballot data so he could easily have already done negotiations, and Nintendo and Microsoft are awful buddy-buddy right now.
7. I never thought we wouldn't get a Pokemon rep, as I'm convinced we are getting Incineroar, but I'm just as convinced that we could get Geno, Issac and BWD alongside Incineroar and Ken plus two more echos.

TBone06

Smash Ace
FYI confirmed fake. Someone posted in the Isaac board.

TBone06

Smash Ace
on to the next! xD
This dry spell is the worst. It wouldn't be so bad if the updates on the blog were new pieces of information. But everything being revealed is what we already know. I have to say, they dropped the ball in that sense. Sure when we get info it's jam packed, but this is the second time we've really experienced a huge lull, and that's not what you want going into the home stretch.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That Geno render just looks really off.

Not to mention, the textures just seem too realistic, and the CSS render doesn't seem to fit with the rest of Ultimate's renders.

The image where Geno is glancing sideways looks and fits Ultimate much better in my opinion.

edit: well I tried uploading it but the site is having issues, so I used imgur:

and it still won't show up, oh well.

Last edited:

Stage4Boss

Smash Cadet
This is something that I see a lot of people miss. Smash 4's "hype cycle" as people call it (I would call it marketing) ended with Duck Hunt, not Shulk. People seem to forget that both Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr received trailers after the game's debut, meaning that marketing ended with those two.

This subjective, but I find Duck Hunt to be a significantly more 'out of left field' and interesting reveal compared to Shulk, so the argument that this "hype cycle" may end with a whimper because 'that's how Smash 4 did it' doesn't have much to stand on.

That said, I fully expect that there will not be many more characters. I am pretty resolutely a conservative 3 remaining (including echos). There seems to be a lot of information suggesting this so I'll put my faith in occam's razor.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
at most I see us getting 5. 2 unique 3 echos or if we're really luck 3 unique 2 echoes. I'm still really confident in Geno's chances. there is a whole lot there to convince me he's one of those final picks. it's just at this point I'm worried about the rest of the fanbases.

we're pretty chill here because we have reason to believe we are the SE character so Vergeben actually gives us hope. but for everyone else? seeing a lot of people on the internet desperate to believe Vergeben is wrong, they will take whatever they can get to prove he is wrong no matter how lackluster their claims might be. there is still a chance there is a character in there that nintendo has managed to keep secret like they did with K. Rool. so there is a little hope their still. but things are still looking bleak.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
God I've never seen a more dreary outlook and I must say I disagree entirely on multiple points. Also, I want to proceed this by saying that I don't personally feel that anyone's character means less than another's, but rather that I'm taking in information and logically looking at likelihood of inclusion from that information. If I say you character you loved didn't have much a chance, realize now that it's not because I hate them or anything but that the odds didn't seem very high based on evidence.

1. Sakurai has said many things before and not followed through, one way or another.
2. Refer to 1.
3. Refer to 1 yet again, but even better to mention that either in that interview or another he did mentioned twisting arms and pulling favors I believe, don't quote me on the pulling favors part but he definitely mentioned twisting arms. This could refer to getting older characters back like Snake but it could just as likely refer to more difficult newcomers.
4. This isn't Smash 4, my friends: this is ULTIMATE! That's what I'm trying to get at here, there is no way something this hyped up gets dropped hard. We are getting minimum 3 unique newcomers and I'll bet money that we get more. Sure, maybe we won't get anything crazy like the 12 newcomers split between uniques and echos I originally was supporting, but I've said ever since the box theory we are getting between 3-6. People are sleeping on Sakurai.
5. Characters that have been popular more recently really don't stack up for me, which is why Shovel Knight made it in as AT and I think Shantae will as well if she gets in at all. There are higher priority characters and I think the priority is the long-time requests, though I really wish everyone could get who they want. Skull Kid never seemed likely as LoZ was the only franchise that got a remade BotW Link and a returning character in the form of Young Link as well as redesigns for Zelda and Ganondorf plus a new stage...that's way more than enough attention when you consider comparing that against Metroid or DK who hadn't gotten many reps over the franchise's history and had roughly the fewest number of reps for the longest amount of time.
6. I think you are flat out wrong about B&K being a nightmare, mainly because everyone is stating how easy it is for Sakurai to get Sora, and if it's that simple to get Sora than it should be even simpler to get B&K. Phil wants them in Smash, they represent the N64 golden era, Sakurai loves MineCraft and knows the Brawl and Ballot data so he could easily have already done negotiations, and Nintendo and Microsoft are awful buddy-buddy right now.
7. I never thought we wouldn't get a Pokemon rep, as I'm convinced we are getting Incineroar, but I'm just as convinced that we could get Geno, Issac and BWD alongside Incineroar and Ken plus two more echos.
I don’t think I’m being particularly dreary, even optimistic perhaps, particularly in the face of box theory. I’m saying double the characters that theory says. Four is not an insignificant number of additions to the roster at this point. That would leave us with 7 unique and 6 Echo fighters, which would be quite comparable to Melee newcomer wise actually.

1. This seems to be a big part of your argument, that Sakurai isn’t always bound to his words. This is true in the context of characters and overall game decisions, not in how he has portrayed the hype cycles. Yes, he did mention Brawl as having fewer newcomers, but at some point you have to admit there exists the bounds of development time and resources to a roster of characters this big in a game this packed with content. The not expecting too many newcomers is a way to patrol absurd expectations of just how many newcomers we’ll get. Brawl expectatione were crazy high from what I understand, and Ultimate likely would have been too if gen wasn’t tempering expectations through and through. His definition of not too many may be different than ours, but there isn’t a chance not expecting too many means expect Smash 4 or Brawl numbers of unique additions. Sakurai is straightforward with how he confronts the fan base in the lead up to the game, and I’ve seen the unfortunate realities of not taking him at his words with Smash 4.
3. It could. But managing Konami, Square, Capcom, and Sega in one game is a lot for any developer of an ambitious cross over.
4. Ultimate refers to the returning characters arguably much, much more than new content. Everything has focused on returning content. The stages are incredibly focused on old favorites returning to the point where almost all the olds one are. Everyone is Here is the entire point of the game and the basic hook of this one. Sure he’s added some characters of major fan appeal that helps further this status, but Ultimate’s tag line and premise was met in the E3 2018 Smash section. Ultimate does not refer to, nor need to refer to all fan requests to retain the title as Ultimate. The personal connotation of Ultimate Smash is going to vary so wildly from player to player that you’ll never quite get a chance to be all inclusive. Especially when, again, the focus was and is on the returning veteran roster.
5. I agree on this and that’s how I analyzed characters that we have left. Though to say newer characters don’t entirely stack up isn’t entirely fair either seeing the likes of Isabelle and Inkling here.
6. Sora can have a game on a Nintendo console, Banjo Kazooie probably cannot. Sora is a mess in his own right, but you can at least say the communication channels for him are open as Square is involved. Sure he is owned by Disney, but I’d imagine Square would have some involvement too, or at least could help. Kingdom Hearts still has good connections with Nintendo, Banjo is straight up a first party IP from a competitor. And I think Sora’s chances are generally overstated as well, which doesn’t bode well for Banjo. Phil Spencer can say he’ll allow it, but that’s just good PR. Microsoft and Nintendo have to come to a much more specific agreement to make him happen, and if that breaks down at any place, Banjo is basically done. He’s entirely a fan service moment for Nintendo as he can’t be anything more than pleasing old fans, and I think that may not necessarily be as appealing to Nintendo execs when the question of why bother comes up. I think that makes him much less likely than people seem to think these days.
7. I mean you do you on the hype cycle man. I just think you’re expecting way too much from the base game. They typically reserve unique reveals for either the beginning or end of a Direct, and we’ve basically got the time frame for one left. Until we see evidence of them stacking multiple character reveals, I think that’s a fair assumption to make that such a trend will continue. Again, people are fair to make their hype as they see it. But, I don’t think a ton of characters is all that reasonable when Sakurai himself all but confirmed that such an expectation was unreasonable. Would I love to be completely wrong? Of course! That would make me very happy actually, and I’d gladly eat my words, but I’m trying to be realistic with my expectations this time around.

Edit: didn’t address Steve. He’s at least something Nintendo can promote on their own console as Minecraft is available on Switch and 3DS. But Mojang pretty much acts independently of the rest of Microsoft at this point with how they just release it on everything. I don’t think Steve, if he’s in, remotely comes close to making Banjo a done deal. More likely? Sure. But he’s a lot easier to include on both parties than Banjo. Also, buddy-buddy is a strong statement for companies mostly taking advantage of Sony’s poor decisions for free positive marketing. All they’ve done is allow cross play with one another and across the board unify Minecraft, which again, was something on Mojang’s part. The buddy-buddy narrative is one that gets brought up a lot, but they’ve not actually done much to give any credence to that argument. They’re much more allies of convenience and circumstance than intention.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
we're pretty chill here because we have reason to believe we are the SE character so Vergeben actually gives us hope. but for everyone else? seeing a lot of people on the internet desperate to believe Vergeben is wrong, they will take whatever they can get to prove he is wrong no matter how lackluster their claims might be. there is still a chance there is a character in there that nintendo has managed to keep secret like they did with K. Rool. so there is a little hope their still. but things are still looking bleak.
I'd say it's more foolish to believe that Vergeben, some text "leaker" that has zero video or physical proof about anything he says is without a doubt telling the truth. It seems like a lot of people in the Smash community don't realize how easy it is to lie to people about upcoming Smash content. Smash Speculation is fun and all but at the end of the day it's going to come down to official announcements by Nintendo and Sakurai regarding Smash news.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'd say it's more foolish to believe that Vergeben, some text "leaker" that has zero video or physical proof about anything he says is without a doubt telling the truth. It seems like a lot of people in the Smash community don't realize how easy it is to lie to people about upcoming Smash content. Smash Speculation is fun and all but at the end of the day it's going to come down to official announcements by Nintendo and Sakurai regarding Smash news.
we do know Vergeben has sources for fighting games, he leaked the Ninja Turtles for injustice 2. He is credible but isn't always right probably because his sources are misinformed or leaked beta concepts that never came to be.

Klimax

Smash Ace
The fact is that when it comes to Smash, Vergeben is right since the beginning. Without him, Isabelle would have been a complete surprise, same for Simon, no one expected these characters. and no one talked about them.

Leaking Ridley was not enough.
Leaking the return of the veterans was not enough.
Leaking Simon was not enough.
Leaking Isabelle (and not even as an echo) was not enough.

At this point, even after Incineroar and Ken's reveals, people will be like "nah, lucky guesses".
The guy has obviously a credible source when it comes to Super Smash Bros.
People just don't want him to be right because Ken and Incineroar are not fan favorites. It's like during brawl days, people refused to believe the leaks because they were disappointed by the last characters.

In my opinion, there's only credible scenario for the base game: 2 unique newcomers (Incineroar and the Square Enix Rep who's probably Geno) and 2 echo fighters (Ken and Shadow or Dixie Kong). Only 4 characters during more than half of september, october and november looks legit, especially after what Sakurai said (thy're obviously not going to show 5 or 6 or even more characters).

You can still refuse to trust Vergeben, no problem about it but in my opinion, you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
the reason we believe him is because he has not been wrong yet about his leaks for smash. it's not really about if he has video evidence but about how consistent he has been. he has taken extra care to confirm with all his sources before releasing info (probably doing more double checking with smash then any other game because he knows how volatile the smash community can be) and on 3 separate occasions his info has been true. 4 if you believe that Ken image leak to be true.

I'm sorry everyone but it's hard to believe Vergeben isn't legit at this point. now does that mean incineroar is 100% confirmed? No, there is a slim possibility something could go wrong within his source's pipelines. like a piece of misleading information or Sakurai's team wising up after the first few leaks and coming up with a plan to screw up the leakers.
but that is still a very slim chance.

Vergeben has seemed to moved on from leaking ultimate. and that could either be because there is no more major info left for his sources to find. or because Sakurai did plug the holes and those sources he had seemed to be locked out in whatever way. and there are 1 or 2 more secrets still lying in wait.
I'm just hoping for that latter. because while I'm still gonna be happy no matter what, even ecstatic if we get Geno. I still also hope would could also see the likes of Banjo or Isaac.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
The fact is that when it comes to Smash, Vergeben is right since the beginning. Without him, Isabelle would have been a complete surprise, same for Simon, no one expected these characters. and no one talked about them.

Leaking Ridley was not enough.
Leaking the return of the veterans was not enough.
Leaking Simon was not enough.
Leaking Isabelle (and not even as an echo) was not enough.

At this point, even after Incineroar and Ken's reveals, people will be like "nah, lucky guesses".
The guy has obviously a credible source when it comes to Super Smash Bros.
People just don't want him to be right because Ken and Incineroar are not fan favorites. It's like during brawl days, people refused to believe the leaks because they were disappointed by the last characters.

In my opinion, there's only credible scenario for the base game: 2 unique newcomers (Incineroar and the Square Enix Rep who's probably Geno) and 2 echo fighters (Ken and Shadow or Dixie Kong). Only 4 characters during more than half of september, october and november looks legit, especially after what Sakurai said (thy're obviously not going to show 5 or 6 or even more characters).

You can still refuse to trust Vergeben, no problem about it but in my opinion, you'll be disappointed.
My exact reasoning as to why I think no one should just automatically say Vergeben is wrong.

domriver

Smash Lord
Yeah Vergeben is been pretty dead on sure not perfect. We just need a smash direct to finally settle everything! Nintendo please announce a direct for wednesday MORNING :D xD

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
We really do need a direct to clear the air. smash speculation has been less about getting hype than a constant fight against our fears.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'd say it's also fairly unwise to assume anyone is automatically right about any leaks or predictions, regardless of track record. That's not to say we should ignore Vergeben completely, just that his word isn't gospel. Even without him, I would still say Ken and a Pokemon are coming, along with a Square rep which is obviously Geno. There could be more, or less. If his info was complete, he would've just revealed the whole roster before E3, and said who the Square rep is.

His info is valuable, and has merit. But until it's confirmed, it's still vaporous. Literally the only info source that's infallible is Sakurai himself, and Nintendo. I believe nothing for a fact until they speak.

Edit: which I desperately wish they would do, of course.:p

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is something that I see a lot of people miss. Smash 4's "hype cycle" as people call it (I would call it marketing) ended with Duck Hunt, not Shulk. People seem to forget that both Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr received trailers after the game's debut, meaning that marketing ended with those two.

This subjective, but I find Duck Hunt to be a significantly more 'out of left field' and interesting reveal compared to Shulk, so the argument that this "hype cycle" may end with a whimper because 'that's how Smash 4 did it' doesn't have much to stand on.

That said, I fully expect that there will not be many more characters. I am pretty resolutely a conservative 3 remaining (including echos). There seems to be a lot of information suggesting this so I'll put my faith in occam's razor.
I meant for the pre-release hype cycle. Shulk was the last reveal, and he was rather unceremoniously revealed in the sense he got revealed in a Japanese only Direct. The marketing of Smash 4 was rather odd because of the 3DS/Wii U split. For all intensive purposes, the last reveal should be considered Shulk seeing as he was their last reveal prior to release. He was certainly a more requested character than a few of Smash 4's newcomers. Regardless of how personally interesting you may find Duck Hunt and/or Bowser Jr (Both of whom are characters I actually really love), they were not all that hype final newcomers for the game along with Shulk. At a time when people were praying for Mewtwo, King K. Rool, and so on, that was a massive blow to hype. The more requested newcomers we got in Smash 4 had been revealed already in Mega Man, Villager, Pac-Man, and Little Mac. While the end had interesting characters, they were much less overall exciting from a fan requested stand point.

And sure, you can argue the past games have no bearing on this one. But you have to throw every other argument from past games standards to do that. All we've really got to go on is Smash 4's ending hype cycle wise, That game would indicate that Sakurai doesn't necessarily see the final newcomers he reveals to be the most hype ones. This could indeed change with Ultimate, but I think to discount how he's done it in the past is also incorrect. I agree it doesn't have much to stand on by itself, but when you combine it with my other points on why we should have lower expectations coming from Sakurai directly, I think it becomes a more relevant piece of information.

Anyway, on Vergeben. Yeah, I still doubt him as having completely solid info. Ridley has been on every goddamn leak since Smash 4, so including him isn't anything special. Regardless of how likely he was or not after Sakurai made him comments, he just showed up all the time. The general consensus was that the game was a port, so there was an expectation of no cuts from Smash 4 and Ice Climbers were about the safest possible bet in a returning veteran. Isabelle was also a likely character, one that he got wrong by calling her an Echo. Ken and Incineroar remain unfounded claims, but are probably the easiest predictions to make for the game (A new Pokemon and the original Echo fighter that is hugely important to Street Fighter as a whole).

Snake and Simon Belmont are his claims to fame. Konami was assumed missing from Smash generally forever. I think it's reasonable to say if one got in that the other would, seeing as Simon Belmont/Castlevania has had some fan support and Sakurai support, it's not impossible. But I think these are his best claims so far that are true. And I think he had some information that was indeed correct.

Minecraft content is still completely unfounded despite people seeming to say it's a foregone conclusion and is still the most out there claim he has made. Square Enix with a second seems likely, but he's only now concerned about people's jobs which doesn't sit well in his reasoning. Seems more of a fear to commit given that he's, you know, a leaker. What's he missed is of even more importance. All the Echo fighters so far? Like not even one? King K Rool was missing. And then Everyone is Here is a bit too big of a tag line to miss I feel like, and he never once predicted that we'd be seeing all the previous cut characters make it back in. And with that being the crown of the game's marketing, I feel like that should be incredibly hard to miss.

Thus, I see Verge as a leaker who has/had some information. Not all of it was incorrect and it was missing a fair amount. It's entirely possible he turned to more speculative "leaks" as time went on in my mind. I'm not saying that's what happened/is happening, but I think it's just a possibility. Where Verge fails for me and why I tend to want to give him as little credit as possible is the way he's handled it all. Responding bin it to fake leaks to show his information, with a drip feed approach that screams attention seeking (Especially with the Pokemon that he strung people out on initially) feels very off and not of proper conduct for a leaker to me. He's not been super upfront with his predictions and information, and some of his leaked info has been very non-committal. Even if he has legit information all around and was just missing some, he's not the type of leaker I want us as a community to support. Especially one that rails so harshly against the community for asking questions and casting doubts, which I know was somewhat justified given just how much he gives, but it again speaks to an attitude I find really find distasteful. Lashing out at the fans isn't a good way to keep your support no matter how right you might be.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
We really do need a direct to clear the air. smash speculation has been less about getting hype than a constant fight against our fears.
I was expecting one this month, but if that were the case, we should've gotten it a week ago. I'm predicting November 7 or 8, since that's in line with the last two Directs we got. Probably 7, since that's exactly a month before the game launches.

domriver

Smash Lord
I was expecting one this month, but if that were the case, we should've gotten it a week ago. I'm predicting November 7 or 8, since that's in line with the last two Directs we got. Probably 7, since that's exactly a month before the game launches.
I would agree but Pokemon will be launching and its a pretty big deal for Nintendo. I don't think Nintendo wants to distract people with Smash and forget about Pokemon. :S hmmm

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I would agree but Pokemon will be launching and its a pretty big deal for Nintendo. I don't think Nintendo wants to distract people with Smash and forget about Pokemon. :S hmmm
Hm, that's an interesting point. Those games launch on November 16, so that's the week after when the Direct might happen.

It could go either way. They might be assuming that the Pokémon release isn't going to be affected by Smash (which it won't, since Pokémon sells well regardless), so they'd do the Smash before its launch regardless, or they'll wait until sometime afterwards. Hopefully it's the former, but I guess the latter is possible as well, grueling as it may be.

domriver

Smash Lord
Hm, that's an interesting point. Those games launch on November 16, so that's the week after when the Direct might happen.

It could go either way. They might be assuming that the Pokémon release isn't going to be affected by Smash (which it won't, since Pokémon sells well regardless), so they'd do the Smash before its launch regardless, or they'll wait until sometime afterwards. Hopefully it's the former, but I guess the latter is possible as well, grueling as it may be.
Yeah which just re-affirms that a direct in the last half of October is very possible. ( i think it will happen) A direct hopefully this week then a Pokemon direct 2nd of week of November for Pokemon. Its perfect LOL of course all subject to change its just a matter of waiting and seeing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom