• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The problem is that Rex "deserved" to be in more than anyone. He is very popular on both sides of the ocean and is the protagonist of a very successful game that is part of a Nintendo franchise that is rising in popularity. If they just decided on the dlc recently then I have no idea why he isn't in. Even though they are trying to help the fans by lowering their expectations with the deconfirm, it still feels cruel.
I don't know about anyone else, but I would prefer to have the bandaid ripped off and have Geno be deconfirmed instead of being stuck in this limbo...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The problem is that Rex "deserved" to be in more than anyone. He is very popular on both sides of the ocean and is the protagonist of a very successful game that is part of a Nintendo franchise that is rising in popularity. If they just decided on the dlc recently then I have no idea why he isn't in. Even though they are trying to help the fans by lowering their expectations with the deconfirm, it still feels cruel.
I mean...it's still not cruel, dude. They're doing their best to make it up to you even though he can't be in. They also softened the blow by saying he won't be in. It sucks, but they're being very kind about it.
This wouldn't be the case with Geno.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I guess my question is why they say Geno is leakbait. Do they have an understanding of what the Nintendo heads are looking for with dlc based on proof? Or do they just personally feel he is an irrelevant character?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. I think Rex got "Daisy'd" pretty hard just like Chrom and Wolf did in Smash 4 but, unlike those three, Xenoblade will probably move on from Rex by the time the next Smash rolls around. There's decent evidence that another Xenoblade is already in the works and a decent chance the series will simply move on from him. I also get the feeling that the next Smash is going to liquidate a lot of the cast with a lot of the secondary characters and that's going to be difficult for even characters that made it as playable to navigate. If at least a 1/4th of Smash Ultimate's cast isn't cut for the next game, I will be genuinely surprised.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I mean...it's still not cruel, dude. They're doing their best to make it up to you even though he can't be in. They also softened the blow by saying he won't be in. It sucks, but they're being very kind about it.
This wouldn't be the case with Geno.
Why couldn't he be in if as dlc if they just decided it recently? I would 100% understand if they chose the dlc a long time ago, but apparently everything is pointing to the dlc choices being made recently. If that is the case then it wasn't that they couldn't do it (because the game came out by then), but they didn't WANT to do it. If that is the case then it is cruel no matter how "nice" Nintendo is trying to be with the costume. He "deserves" it a lot more than Joker. I now others will disagree, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Honestly it feels like every leaked potential character is a red herring. Each and every one of them. What better way of staying hidden than hiding in plain sight?

In this day and age, what with how easy it is to leak information onto the internet, why wouldn't a big company that's trying to keep things secret for the purpose of excitement just throw out a list of both greatly desired, middling, and things no one's asked for in order to keep the real character secret? Just start pitching names left and right, tell people anything and everything so that should someone who actually knows what's going on has a moment of going rogue and leaks "official" information, no one would actually know if it's true or not, thus the secrecy is still kept.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Ehhh I don't really agree that he deserved to be in "more than anyone". There are plenty of other characters who didn't make it in that are very popular and are part of popular Nintendo franchises. There are plenty of people from other fandoms who would question the sentiment that he should have been over any other characters. That said Sakurai essentially said he'd have been in if the game had been announced earlier than it was. That should count for something.

Edit: Also reminder this is the Geno thread not the Rex thread.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why couldn't he be in if as dlc if they just decided it recently? I would 100% understand if they chose the dlc a long time ago, but apparently everything is pointing to the dlc choices being made recently. If that is the case then it wasn't that they couldn't do it (because the game came out by then), but they didn't WANT to do it. If that is the case then it is cruel no matter how "nice" Nintendo is trying to be with the costume. He "deserves" it a lot more than Joker. I now others will disagree, but that is just my opinion.
Not here to comfort you over Rex not being in, here to explain to you how Nintendo is 100% softening the blow over him not being in.
If you think Rex would've attracted more hype, media attention, profit, and happy fans then Joker then you're wrong imo but that's not the point here.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh I don't really agree that he deserved to be in "more than anyone". There are plenty of other characters who didn't make it in that are very popular and are part of popular Nintendo franchises. There are plenty of people from other fandoms who would question the sentiment that he should have been over any other characters. That said Sakurai essentially said he'd have been in if the game had been announced earlier than it was. That should count for something.

Edit: Also reminder this is the Geno thread not the Rex thread.
Yeah, I just wanted to give my two cents since others brought him up. I actually support Geno more than anyone, but just felt that Rex deserved to be in.

D

Deleted member

The only sign of doubt I have is just the spirits thing all over again. Like I cannot tell if that is the case or not but I think that messes him up more than someone like Slime who is not in the game currently.

Perhaps this is the stubborn side of me, but I will be on the Geno train until the very last day where I will go down with the ship. Not that it is a guaranteed thing, but I'm on board until something comes out that officially writes him off.

It's not life or death for us if he doesn't make it so let's just enjoy and keep hope alive. What has been your favorite spirit battle so far? (Aside from Geno/Mallow ones)
Other than the Geno and Mallow spirits, my favorite is the Ninten spirit!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, I disagree with you on that completely, but agree to disagree I guess.
...can I ask why you think this???
P5 has sold over 500,00 more copies than XC2. It's part of a very long-running, well-received series, and had been hyped for years, so everyone knew about it. It has received countless awards, far more than XC2. Joker as a character is incredibly recognizable at this point. Rex as a character was laughed at back in the day, with the negative attention XC2 got.
I understand your opinion but I just don't get how this can be the case.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
God, could you imagine if Geno was shown as an assist trophy in the final Direct? Isaac, Shadow, and Geno all being hard disconfirmed back to back after the Grinch Leak? It would have been the Old Yeller approach but, like I said earlier, better than being stuck in this weird purgatory we're in now, made even worse by how a Square character has been hinted at since the summer and that we may be waiting up to 14 months for a solid answer.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I haven't given up on Geno. It's coming to the realization that I shouldn't be one of the main people of the fanbase anymore, largely because of my age. Younger people need to take over, people who haven't been around here since Brawl was development. I'm old. Thirty one is super old by gamer standards if you're not the one actually developing games or in the industry. If you ain't suit and tie, you're kind of a weirdo by most people's standards. Twenty five is when most professional gamers start thinking about retirement and I'm now six years past that. I can stick around but I shouldn't be the one leading discussions. I shouldn't be the one doing research and making the lengthy theorycrafts. I've technically done it for four games give my first foray into Smash speculation was way back in 2002 with the Adult Swim forums. That's sixteen years with thirteen seriously backing Geno online. Some of you here were still toddlers back then. People I'm now running into at tournaments weren't even born yet. ****in' YIKES, amirite? That's how long this has been going for me and I'm simply... tired. Yes, people like reading my stuff and people seemingly respect me but being the equivalent of Bernie Sanders when it comes to video game speculation isn't exactly flattering. For everyone's sake, I need to back off. If there's fan campaigns, I can help but my time as one of the carnival barkers for this fanbase has long passed and my relevance is strained as it is. It's time to pass on the proverbial torch.
Nah, if long-timers like you back off, washed-up oldie characters like Geno will remain washed-up forever. We need to maintain some level of firsthand passion to remain relevant here.

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
This is extremely selfish of me to say, but any Square character getting in over Geno would just sting. I can’t think of any other Square character constantly requested for smash with such a dedicated, long-lasting fanbase like Geno. Of course I’m being biased again, since I love this fanbase. Many of us have been at this for years, and a newer/less requested Square character getting in over Geno at this point would feel like a punch to the gut for me. But as with anything, life isn’t fair, and I’ll accept Geno’s fate like an adult, whether he makes it into smash or not.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah the limbo is much worse than a deconfirmation. God, it sucks having BOTH your most wanted characters perpetually stuck in it...

Though I’m willing to bet we’re gonna get our next character revealed in the spring.

Other than the Geno and Mallow spirits, my favorite is the Ninten spirit!
Please post his spirit in the Ninten thread I must see him.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
God, could you imagine if Geno was shown as an assist trophy in the final Direct? Isaac, Shadow, and Geno all being hard disconfirmed back to back after the Grinch Leak? It would have been the Old Yeller approach but, like I said earlier, better than being stuck in this weird purgatory we're in now, made even worse by how a Square character has been hinted at since the summer and that we may be waiting up to 14 months for a solid answer.
for better or worse, potential deconfirmation or no, I'm on this train 'till the end, boyo. But that would be the most disappointing thing ever.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
...can I ask why you think this???
P5 has sold over 500,00 more copies than XC2. It's part of a very long-running, well-received series, and had been hyped for years, so everyone knew about it. It has received countless awards, far more than XC2. Joker as a character is incredibly recognizable at this point. Rex as a character was laughed at back in the day, with the negative attention XC2 got.
I understand your opinion but I just don't get how this can be the case.
I wasn't really around the game at launch so that may be why I haven't really seen much detraction. Occasionally I see a comment against Rex or the clothing in the game, but mostly everything I have seen has been positive. From my perspective the game was a seen as a huge hit that was a testament to the Switch's success. Yeah, his game sold less, but it was still a complete hit on a Nintendo console. Joker only had a more hype feeling because he was completely unexpected imo. I think the majority of the fanbase is happy Joker is in, but I think the majority would also have been fine with Rex. Both would have the same amount of detractors imo. Also anecdotally, people I have talked to in real life and on the internet felt the Rex deconfirm was the least deserved. Xenoblade 2 is my friends favorite game of all time. I guess my perspective on the games and the their popularity are just different from yours, because I feel if you polled the Smash fanbase with the two characters, Rex would win IMO. Just my opinion btw.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nah, if long-timers like you back off, washed-up oldie characters like Geno will remain washed-up forever. We need to maintain some level of firsthand passion to remain relevant here.
I dunno. I don't feel like I'm really needed anymore. The fact that people still gave a **** after Brawl when fanbases of significantly bigger characters all but evaporated was a miracle in itself, the fact that Nintendo rereleased the game three times in ten years has completely blown my mind. I see a lot of people come in here that have never even played SMRPG and really like Geno and that was almost unheard of in the Brawl days. I'm fairly certain that people will support him to some degree until he's confirmed or Nintendo flat out says he'll never be in Smash. Thanks to people like Papagenos and Terminal Montage he's not only deeply ingrained in Smash culture but Nintendo fan culture as a whole too. I don't think that would happen if I just shut my laptop, walked out of the room with a thousand yard stare, and downed a gallon of bleach, never to be heard on Smashboards again. I could be hit by a semi tomorrow and people would probably still support Geno for this game, Smash 6 and beyond.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah the limbo is much worse than a deconfirmation. God, it sucks having BOTH your most wanted characters perpetually stuck in it...

Though I’m willing to bet we’re gonna get our next character revealed in the spring.

Please post his spirit in the Ninten thread I must see him.
Well, I actually haven't come across it yet lol. I just know he is a spirit, and him and Geno are my favs :)

for better or worse, potential deconfirmation or no, I'm on this train 'till the end, boyo. But that would be the most disappointing thing ever.
I will remain on this train as well. It would suck if he isn't in after all the evidence pointing to him coming

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think absolute worst case scenario would be the SE character being saved in the final direct, Geno showing up at the beginning of the trailer, and then getting btfo by Slime with Slime announced as the DLC. Basically a Chrom in Sm4sh situation. But with Slime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think absolute worst case scenario would be the SE character being saved in the final direct, Geno showing up at the beginning of the trailer, and then getting btfo by Slime. Basically a Chrom in Sm4sh situation.
No thank you :)

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It's probably going to be Crono, honestly. Kind of debating whether I want to be this invested for a minimum of 7 months to be BTFO for the third time in 10 years.
I'm starting to agree with this to be honest. And it would make sense.

Joker represents modern JRPG's while Crono represents classic JRPG's.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it could be more cruel. Rex is a spirit, a Mii costume, and one of Shulk's ALTs and basically was disconfirmed by Sakurai himself in a Direct and Heihachi was reduced to one of Pac-Man's taunts so...
The Alt for Shulk is actually for one of his party members, Sharla, in the game. That being said I do think Xenoblade was underrepresented this time around. That being said again, let's end the Rex discussion because this is a Geno thread.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I have trouble seeing it being Crono personally. He has every Pro and Con that Geno has IMO. At that point, I feel Sakurai would choose Geno. Then again, if Nintendo really did provide a list for Sakurai to choose from they may have just excluded Geno on it and had Crono on. I personally see DQ as more likely than Crono regardless.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
i would really strongly prefer that we don't get another RPG swordsman whose name isn't Isaac

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, I actually haven't come across it yet lol. I just know he is a spirit, and him and Geno are my favs :)

I will remain on this train as well. It would suck if he isn't in after all the evidence pointing to him coming
Jeez, he must be an ultra hard one to get as a bunch of my friends have been grinding like crazy and none of them have found him yet either.

And yeah I agree. If all the evidence led to nothing that'd be tragic.

D

Deleted member

Jeez, he must be an ultra hard one to get as a bunch of my friends have been grinding like crazy and none of them have found him yet either.

And yeah I agree. If all the evidence led to nothing that'd be tragic.
I can't wait to find his spirit. I also wonder if he would just be equipped to Ness, Lucas, or someone else. I thought Geno would be equipped to Mii gunner or Mega man, so I wonder if Ninten is equipped to someone different.

I just hope for the love of everything that they just confirm Geno. Every time I think he will be revealed, it's like a string dangling in front of me, and I am about to grab it, but I miss and have to wait a few more months for a chance. I hope the string isn't missed at least one of the next four times

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I can't wait to find his spirit. I also wonder if he would just be equipped to Ness, Lucas, or someone else. I thought Geno would be equipped to Mii gunner or Mega man, so I wonder if Ninten is equipped to someone different.

I just hope for the love of everything that they just confirm Geno. Every time I think he will be revealed, it's like a string dangling in front of me, and I am about to grab it, but I miss and have to wait a few more months for a chance. I hope the string isn't missed at least one of the next four times
Inb4 he's a Lucas

I'm personally thinking Geno's gonna be the 3rd or final reveal at this point. Praying for a third.

D

Deleted member

Inb4 he's a Lucas

I'm personally thinking Geno's gonna be the 3rd or final reveal at this point. Praying for a third.
Same. Maybe he just wasn't the first reveal because he would be revealed right after PP? I didn't think it would be a problem since PP is a bonus, but maybe he wasn't the first and will be revealed later, after some other characters? I've only been in this speculation cycle since August, and I just need him revealed. Hopefully our wishes are granted :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Hey guys, the game is so far really fun, just yesterday finally unlocked the entire roster and WoL is a masterpiece, what's going on he-- Oh, oh I see.

D

Deleted member

Man, why are all so quick with unlocking the roster? I still have a good amount of characters left to unlock lol

D

Deleted member

Why third? Genuinely curious.
In Smash 4, Cloud was revealed third to last, and he was highly requested, and Bayonetta, another highly requested character, was revealed last. I think he could be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th, but I'm not really expecting him to be the 2nd. It would be amazing if that was the case though

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
No but, like I said, it's irrelevant. I have plenty of things outside of Smash including a myriad of hobbies and my LinkedIn profile reads like a damn novel because how involved I am in my community but this ultimately has zero net worth. It doesn't advance my career. It doesn't make me money. It's just the possibility of my favorite video game being playable in another game. That's it. Cathartic, yes, but emotions are fleeting and ultimately worthless if not attached to something of genuine worth.
Wow what a 180. Tell you what I’ll quit this place with you. If you feel in your heart it’s time to go, it’s time to go. No dwelling on regrets, there was a reason you and I were here and now there’s a reason we’re leaving. Just say goodbye and turn the page to the next chapter.

It’s been fun everyone! Long time Geno supporter, I came here for the speculation and now it’s pretty much wrapped up. I seriously feel really good about Geno’s chances due to the HQ thing, we won’t find out for a while but even if it’s not him it’ll be someone cool.

Strawberry Rhubarb pie seriously is the best, if you haven’t had it you have to try it. This is my last post, take care everyone!

D

Deleted member

Wow what a 180. Tell you what I’ll quit this place with you. If you feel in your heart it’s time to go, it’s time to go. No dwelling on regrets, there was a reason you and I were here and now there’s a reason we’re leaving. Just say goodbye and turn the page to the next chapter.

It’s been fun everyone! Long time Geno supporter, I came here for the speculation and now it’s pretty much wrapped up. I seriously feel really good about Geno’s chances due to the HQ thing, we won’t find out for a while but even if it’s not him it’ll be someone cool.

Strawberry Rhubarb pie seriously is the best, if you haven’t had it you have to try it. This is my last post, take care everyone!
If Geno comes, everyone who is currently quitting speculation must return to attend the ceremony, celebrating the return of the starsend savior himself, Geno. This means: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , Darkfur Darkfur , paper roxy paper roxy , Wazygoose Wazygoose , Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity , and any one else whose names I missed (sorry). Take care you all, I will miss speculating with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom