• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
Irrelevant because people clearly still want him and Sakurai's interview in Nintendo Dream was shortly after the game began production. I feel the same way about Lloyd. Sakurai's words were extremely positive with both characters and Persona 5 is yet another game that Sakurai had personally spoken very highly of. Unless someone dressed in a Geno costume killed his wife/cat since 2016, I doubt his opinion of the character has changed much.
good thing i went dressed as sephiroth in that party
This makes me question on how much agency Sakurai has on the DLC.
Did he influenciate in any way the picks made by Nintendo?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Whomever thinks Reggie meant "new series characters" are just stretching what he actually said, Reggie didn't mention new series or games at all, he simply said "characters new to the series" so he could've simply meant "no echos" or "new movesets/characters that feel new."

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Whomever thinks Reggie meant "new series characters" are just stretching what he actually said, Reggie didn't mention new series or games at all, he simply said "characters new to the series" so he could've simply meant "no echos" or "new movesets/characters that feel new."
Personally I feel like it's just another way of saying that dlc won't be composed of veterans since they're all already here

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Irrelevant because people clearly still want him and Sakurai's interview in Nintendo Dream was shortly after the game began production. I feel the same way about Lloyd. Sakurai's words were extremely positive with both characters and Persona 5 is yet another game that Sakurai had personally spoken very highly of. Unless someone dressed in a Geno costume killed his wife/cat since 2016, I doubt his opinion of the character has changed much.
Geno :Alright , I have your wife , your cat , if you don't put me in Smash , you're gonna see some "9999" flying around moth********.

it's even more hilarious when you picture the guy with a costume that's badly made lol

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Yknow; we should look into OTHER games Sakurai has spoken highly of (preferably on multiple separate occasions) to see what we can piece together.
If Sakurai speaks highly of games he likes, it doesn't mean they're 100% officially confirmed to get some content in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Lets be real, if an Undertale rep is added, it's going to be Papyrus rather than Sans.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Lets be real, if an Undertale rep is added, it's going to be Papyrus rather than Sans.
I can imagine it being Papyrus with Sans off to the side (like Pokemon Trainer) sleeping or watching him, helping him if he starts getting hit at high damage and also being involved with his final smash.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I’ll be honest, the Nintendo-sponsored HQ questions having Geno as a focal point basically confirms Geno for me. There’s no reason to have him as the focus of a sponsored question-answer than to prop him up. And why prop up an old forgotten character, getting him more in the public consciousness, unless there’s some content coming.

For those who don’t know, HQ is a mobile trivia game, and is not related to the rest of the non-mobile gaming industry in general. Nintendo sponsored some trivia questions and “Super Mario RPG” was the answer to “What game has a possessed doll as a playable character?” After the question, HQ gave the answer, adding that Geno was the name of the possessed doll.

Really the takeaway is not, “why did Nintendo choose Geno as sponsored trivia”, it’s “why did Nintendo choose Geno instead of picking any other trivia that they could have chosen”.

Further, under the paradigm that the trivia is SMRPG, why choose Geno over Mallow, Smithy, collecting the 7 stars to repair star road, Boshi, timed-hits, super jumps, Booster, Culex, etc—it’s because Geno is the most iconic non-Mario universe part of SMRPG, maybe second to the huge sword in Peach’s Castle.

I doubt this is all to sell another Geno Mii costume. Unless there’s instead a remake or rerelease of SMRPG coming, this means playable Geno in Smash.

Sorry to the detracters, I’m just super confident now and won’t believe he’s not in unless it’s 100% doubtlessly confirmed. But I don’t expect that, I expect Geno now. Now it’s just the waiting.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I can imagine it being Papyrus with Sans off to the side (like Pokemon Trainer) sleeping or watching him, helping him if he starts getting hit at high damage and also being involved with his final smash.
What if sans was a part of Papyrus's moves? Like some of his attacks would be in his move set; and whenever they are executed, you can see sans moving his hands around in the background.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That could work; they basically share a lot of moves anyway.
It would represent their relationship as brothers pretty well if sans was giving Papyrus a helping hand while he goes into it thinking he's doing very well, when really sans does a lot of the work. Plus I guess it loosely ties in with the "friendship" themes of undertale.

GENO!!!! :D

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I’ll be honest, the Nintendo-sponsored HQ questions having Geno as a focal point basically confirms Geno for me. There’s no reason to have him as the focus of a sponsored question-answer than to prop him up. And why prop up an old forgotten character, getting him more in the public consciousness, unless there’s some content coming.

For those who don’t know, HQ is a mobile trivia game, and is not related to the rest of the non-mobile gaming industry in general. Nintendo sponsored some trivia questions and “Super Mario RPG” was the answer to “What game has a possessed doll as a playable character?” After the question, HQ gave the answer, adding that Geno was the name of the possessed doll.

Really the takeaway is not, “why did Nintendo choose Geno as sponsored trivia”, it’s “why did Nintendo choose Geno instead of picking any other trivia that they could have chosen”.

Further, under the paradigm that the trivia is SMRPG, why choose Geno over Mallow, Smithy, collecting the 7 stars to repair star road, Boshi, timed-hits, super jumps, Booster, Culex, etc—it’s because Geno is the most iconic non-Mario universe part of SMRPG, maybe second to the huge sword in Peach’s Castle.

I doubt this is all to sell another Geno Mii costume. Unless there’s instead a remake or rerelease of SMRPG coming, this means playable Geno in Smash.

Sorry to the detracters, I’m just super confident now and won’t believe he’s not in unless it’s 100% doubtlessly confirmed. But I don’t expect that, I expect Geno now. Now it’s just the waiting.
That is really interesting. It's kinda like the online battle tag cameo from the 11/1 direct. A small little, "Hey don't forget Geno." It could also just be a really good trivia question since only the most hardcore Nintendo fans would know the answer. I wonder if Nintendo needed Square's permission at all to use Geno as a question? Anyway, I'm gonna file that away as a "Hmmmm" but overall I think I'm going to keep my mind open to the possibilities. I feel like all the theories are out the window for now.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
What's this trivia game everyone's talking about? Is it an app or site or what?
It a mobile trivia app, totally unrelated to gaming in general. A few times a day they have like 10 questions and if you get to the end, you split the pot with whoever else got to the end. Sometimes a lot of people get to the end and everyone wins like 80 cents. Sometimes it's like 3 and they all get $100.

Link to the Nintendo sponsored trivia game for HQ:

https://hqbuff.com/us/game/2018-12-06/3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It a mobile trivia app, totally unrelated to gaming in general. A few times a day they have like 10 questions and if you get to the end, you split the pot with whoever else got to the end. Sometimes a lot of people get to the end and everyone wins like 80 cents. Sometimes it's like 3 and they all get $100.

Link to the Nintendo sponsored trivia game for HQ:

https://hqbuff.com/us/game/2018-12-06/3
Noticed Ninja Gaiden and Chrono Trigger too. Imagine, Geno and Crono in Smash. Ha ha... *sweats profusely*

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I hope so. I'm easy influenced and everyone is saying the dream is dead D;

link2702

Smash Champion
I just thought of something that made me a bit nervous...granted very tinfoil hat though...

Marvel ultimate alliance 3 is apparently switch exclusive...Disney owns marvel now...

What if this is a sign that Nintendo is working with Disney to eventually get sora?

I mean no one could have predicted joker, who’s to say all these rumors of folks saying sora was shot down early on were in fact false?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I just thought of something that made me a bit nervous...granted very tinfoil hat though...

Marvel ultimate alliance 3 is apparently switch exclusive...Disney owns marvel now...

What if this is a sign that Nintendo is working with Disney to eventually get sora?

I mean no one could have predicted joker, who’s to say all these rumors of folks saying sora was shot down early on were in fact false?
Disney publishing an exclusive game for a system doesn't mean they had all of a sudden a big talk with Nintendo and Smash DLCs.

Not to say It's impossible , but I think Sora couldn't happen without a KH collection on the Switch. Yeah , Sora would be hype , but if you reveal him , people will want to play his games and... You got 3 Nintendo handeld games that were all remastered on Sony systems.
If you want to play KH , you need a PS3/4. Sony has all the KH games on their systems , Nintendo would work with both Square and stinking Disney to promote a character wich promote a franchise on another console.

They need to have both at once in my opinion.The KH collection ,and Sora in smash.

"Yeah but Joker , P5 not on Switch" a port could happen , there are SMT games on Nintendo systems... And I think Sega and Atlus are easier to deal with than Square and stinking Disney.

link2702

Smash Champion
I just can’t help but be nervous is all I guess. Like, I tried to keep that shred of doubt with me last night, and for the most part it kept my hype in check...

...but we’re still back here in the dark and so back to the stressful wait of not knowing either way.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh I think the "SE character would be first DLC" thing was just speculation among leakers, since they haven't heard of anyone else (aside from maybe Minecraft, though Vergeben never had confirmation that it was a character and even heard it was a boss not long ago). Sora and Sephiroth probably aren't happening.

Though, Spawn Wave and NateDrake were wrong so idk.

Also, given recent Nintendo-person statements and Joker, Geno would fit because he would also be unexpected, even by Geno fans.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Sora would need Square AND Disney to be on board though, so I think Marvel is slightly different

Adding to the tin foiliness:

Why hide the name Geno? It’s...not like Geno was actually one of the choices. The correct answer was Super Mario RPG. I get being vague for the sake of like, it’s a trivia question, but they were vague with “Nintendo’s first primate themed game” which we all know is Donkey Kong. In fact I think the correct answer for that is pretty obscure. This is also the, what, 3rd or 4th time this year Nintendo has mentioned or brought up Geno? (The tweet, a Spirit, a trivia question) hmmmmm indeed

timbo8

Smash Cadet
Sora would need Square AND Disney to be on board though, so I think Marvel is slightly different
well actually they need a yes from and yes from just Nomura and hashimoto for llyold I did heard a rumor about him being dlc

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Disney doesn’ t mind if sora on smash they need Nomura blessings
Indeed , I don't think they would say no. It's Smash Bros , getting your character as DLC is the best thing that can happen.

The big problem would be money , how much Nintendo and Square Enix can get from the DLCs sales/amiibos.
And Nintendo still need to be interested. I wouldn't say that "Sora is an anime swordman duuuuh" , because I think there is enough room to make a unique character. But without KH3/collection on the Switch , this would be big promotion for a franchise mainly on Sony systems , the PS4.

They'll probably need to tie in both the Sora reveal , and the KH 3/collection Switch.
The best timeline for Sora fans would be Sora in Smash +KH3/collection on Switch.

But honestly , I'll be disapointed if he doesn't come with a game for the Switch. I just feel like third parties that aren't on Nintendo consoles should bring the most possible History to Nintendo.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Assuming the SE leaks could still be real (I believe Vergeben saying the SE character would be first was just his speculation(?)), Sora is also looking to be rather unlikely.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Assuming the SE leaks could still be real (I believe Vergeben saying the SE character would be first was just his speculation(?)), Sora is also looking to be rather unlikely.
As Iv'e stated before , without KH on the Switch , Sora only has the popularity factor.(And I think that Sora is gaining a lot of popularity because of KH3. He was less requested before.)

Tbh , if Joker doesn't come with a P5 port on the Switch , then I'll be disapointed. That is a Big problem for Sora , they need to do two things at once , the Sora reveal and the KH game on Switch. This would need quite a lot of negotiations , not impossible... But pretty hard.

And I wouldn't call Sora iconic , he's not like Ryu or Cloud. He need more.
With Bayonetta , there was Bayonetta 1/2 on the Wii U ,I discovered it thanks to Smash.

But with KH , I don't want to spend 400 dollars + a 60 dollars priced game just to see where Sora came from. Or even a PS2 copy of KH1/2. If you promote a character on a Nintendo console without games from this character on it , I don't understand.

I mean , Sephiroth , Luminary/Slime will have games on the Switch. Neku and the Octopath rep have games on the Switch. Geno can easily have a port or a remake , since his game is a Mario game. As for Crono , I don't know.

And since SE already did a spirit bomb of FF games/ports for the Switch , I dunno if they'll continue with KH , when there is also DQ in the corner with Builders 2 and 11 S. Or even this "secret mission".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom