• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
yea but a common monster getting in before a series mascot doesnt really make sense. its like if we got genome soldiers in smash instead of snake, or if we got mets before megaman. sure mets or the genome soldiers are iconic in their own right (genome soldiers more or less for how goofy and dumb their ai is), but it wouldnt be right to add them before the main character
On one hand, Slime is a generic enemy, but on the other hand, it has its own series of games, has tons of merch, several forms to use in its moveset, and is iconic. Slime is basically like Pikachu to DQ, while the main characters are the trainers you play as.

I'd still see this move more of a SE thing rather than Nintendo wanting to put in Slime, unless they really want to help DQ's sales in the west.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but...can someone tell me what exactly is the appeal of Dragon Quest? Are the characters well-written? The stories? How does the gameplay distinguish itself? Is there a unique setting or hook?

Because, no offense intended, DQ looks like an extremely unremarkable RPG from the outside. Like, I've seen nor heard anything that makes it stand out to me. I feel it's basically the same thing as FF, just brighter and with Akira Toriyama characters, and FF's pretty standard RPG as is.

Genuinely curious over here.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but...can someone tell me what exactly is the appeal of Dragon Quest? Are the characters well-written? The stories? How does the gameplay distinguish itself? Is there a unique setting or hook?

Because, no offense intended, DQ looks like an extremely unremarkable RPG from the outside. Like, I've seen nor heard anything that makes it stand out to me. I feel it's basically the same thing as FF, just brighter and with Akira Toriyama characters, and FF's pretty standard RPG as is.

i recently found a copy of sentinals of the starry sky (i guess my friend gave it to me because it was in my drawer and i dont think id ever buy a dragon quest game) in my room and played a bit and it really wasnt anything special. might just be that game specifically but it felt kinda boring and it gave me the same feeling the my sims ds games gave me

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I have no clue, dude. I didn't even know what DQ was until I found Slime in Mario Sports Mix. All I know is it's one of the oldest RPGs out there, but in general, it never really appealed to me like Pokémon, Final Fantasy, and the Mario RPGs. It uses a bunch of new protagonists you play as in each game, kinda like the new generation Pokémon trainers and Final Fantasy protagonists. But I've seen gameplay of it and it never got me interested in playing one DQ game. Now I know why it isn't popular in the west, because it can't defeat the fun it gives us like the Pokémon games, FF games, and the Mario RPGs.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
i recently found a copy of sentinals of the starry sky (i guess my friend gave it to me because it was in my drawer and i dont think id ever buy a dragon quest game) in my room and played a bit and it really wasnt anything special. might just be that game specifically but it felt kinda boring and it gave me the same feeling the my sims ds games gave me
I played a bit of IX and it's not that great. XI is the only other one I've played and did so from start to finish. It's much much better. I also hear VIII is fantastic but I haven't played it.

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet

Dude Dragon Warrior 3 was the **** when I was like 7 or 8. You got a big ass manual with it and posters with all the enemies and items

https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw3nes/dw3nes_manual.pdf

https://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dw3nes/poster/dw3nes_poster_side1.png

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dragon-Warrior-III-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1992/5699?iid=183554809343

You had to use a bit more imagination back in those days but it definitely felt like an adventure. The music was iconic and the enemies were very unique. I love the babble.

You gotta remember this was a time when Enix was a competitor of Square so the franchises of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior were somewhat of rivals.

Last edited:

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie

Using the most recent game (Dragon Quest XI) as an example, yes the game does a great job with well written characters, narrative, story, and overall endearing quality.
If you've never played a game in the series before, XI should be your gateway game if VIII already wasn't. But I'd go as far as recommending XI over it since it had little fixes that go a long way that a lot of JRPGs still lack.
For example, on XI, every party member gets the same amount of EXP (and getting EXP isn't a ridiculous grind to 99 either) regardless of if they participated in the battle and you can switch between any party member at any time and aren't required to always have the MC in the party either, plus it has in-game recaps of the story if you've gone a little bit without playing, it can catch you back up like no time has passed.
Oh, and Party Chat is a great feature, as everytime the story moves along, they have new things to say. The characters on XI all feel and come off as best friends and familial and even give eachother guff when needed.
Games in the series are also great at using cliches and then totally messing your expectations.
Another thing to mention is that NPCs are well written too and fun to talk to and revisit. In Dragon Quest XI for example, everytime the story moves along, entire towns get whole new sets of dialogue if you wanna get totally lost and immersed in the world.

There's your problem. Dragon Quest IX's draw was that it's a multiplayer experience.
You need to play IV, V, VIII, or XI.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, we need to go over this point again I brought up recently: the Vifam gun that Sakurai bought most likely in reference to Smash Ultimate. I saw a video of the bosses in the game and none of them had any weaponry like that. Now please answer me this, do any of the DQ reps or Crono use guns as their primary weapons or in any case at all? Do any of them use weaponry that would require a specific point of reference that official artwork or 3D models for those characters couldn't already provide? The answer is flat out no. The only character it can possibly fit since not one of the newcomers made for Smash Ultimate nor any of the bosses have that kind of weaponry is Geno. I mentioned months ago that a good reason Sakurai would have to buy the Vifam just for the gun is that there is no official artwork of the gun barrel that fires the Geno Beams. All the other stuff including the Rocket Fists and Geno's alternate capes were included in the official Super Mario RPG guidebook. If the artwork for said gun barrel is lost, Sakurai and the development team would have to find an alternate item to use for reference. And lastly, look at the date when the interview talking about it was mentioned https://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-bought-a-vifam-figure-as-a-reference-for-his-work/

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really don't think it's Slime. Slime at best will show up some DQ Hero's moveset, or more likely, taunt. I think that's it.

Chocobo's one of the main mascot's of FF but you don't see people clamoring to get him over cloud

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I have no clue, dude. I didn't even know what DQ was until I found Slime in Mario Sports Mix. All I know is it's one of the oldest RPGs out there, but in general, it never really appealed to me like Pokémon, Final Fantasy, and the Mario RPGs. It uses a bunch of new protagonists you play as in each game, kinda like the new generation Pokémon trainers and Final Fantasy protagonists. But I've seen gameplay of it and it never got me interested in playing one DQ game. Now I know w 8hy it isn't popular in the west, because it can't defeat the fun it gives us like the Pokémon games, FF games, and the Mario RPGs.
You think it's because of gameplay that it isn't popular? Not even remotely true. Dragon Quest is a far more consistent franchise and doesn't try to "change for the sake of change" meanwhile FF is literally killing SE. The appeal of DQ is that in a sea of games that try to fix was isn't broken, DQ does not. When you pick up a Dragon Quest game you know exactly what you're getting. An amazing adventure with a solid JRPG experience.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
You think it's because of gameplay that it isn't popular? Not even remotely true. Dragon Quest is a far more consistent franchise and doesn't try to "change for the sake of change" meanwhile FF is literally killing SE. The appeal of DQ is that in a sea of games that try to fix was isn't broken, DQ does not. When you pick up a Dragon Quest game you know exactly what you're getting. An amazing adventure with a solid JRPG experience.
if every game is the same gameplay wise i can get why it isnt too popular with how simplistic the battles are (at least in my opinion)

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Okay, we need to go over this point again I brought up recently: the Vifam gun that Sakurai bought most likely in reference to Smash Ultimate. I saw a video of the bosses in the game and none of them had any weaponry like that. Now please answer me this, do any of the DQ reps or Crono use guns as their primary weapons or in any case at all? Do any of them use weaponry that would require a specific point of reference that official artwork or 3D models for those characters couldn't already provide? The answer is flat out no. The only character it can possibly fit since not one of the newcomers made for Smash Ultimate nor any of the bosses have that kind of weaponry is Geno. I mentioned months ago that a good reason Sakurai would have to buy the Vifam just for the gun is that there is no official artwork of the gun barrel that fires the Geno Beams. All the other stuff including the Rocket Fists and Geno's alternate capes were included in the official Super Mario RPG guidebook. If the artwork for said gun barrel is lost, Sakurai and the development team would have to find an alternate item to use for reference. And lastly, look at the date when the interview talking about it was mentioned https://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-bought-a-vifam-figure-as-a-reference-for-his-work/
This is an interesting theory becuase, if true, it presents a Sakurai who was working on Geno as far back as 2016 (which im sure SSBU was already in development at that time). Also given Verge knew about the SE Rep before the DLC announcement, and given Geno's presence already featured in both SSB4 and SSBU, this is very likely. But also it must mean some DLC was decided or already being prototyped before NoJ got involved. EDIT: Which is also possible because PPlant

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
"I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand.." "He has a gun for a hand .." "He has a gun for a hand .."

GAMERS RISE UP

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This. It's always Nintendo's SMRPG tweet from this year and the Vifam gun that always gets me. When the Grinch leak came out, it eventually led to the thought that the gun was used for Mach Rider. Then the leak was fake and the answer went back to the unknown, and still, no newcomers and bosses used any guns that looked similar to the Vifam gun; Inkling doesn't count because her gun looks much different, and it was already made by the Splatoon developers. Sakurai likes to use references when creating his NEW projects.

I, too, have seen the bosses and no boss used any gun that looked similar to the Vifam gun. There is no official artwork for Geno's gun, we have no clue what it would look like in the modern day. This is why Sakurai needed the Vifam gun, to design Geno's hand-gun since there is no official gun design or modern design for Geno's hand-gun.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I have no clue, dude. I didn't even know what DQ was until I found Slime in Mario Sports Mix. All I know is it's one of the oldest RPGs out there, but in general, it never really appealed to me like Pokémon, Final Fantasy, and the Mario RPGs. It uses a bunch of new protagonists you play as in each game, kinda like the new generation Pokémon trainers and Final Fantasy protagonists. But I've seen gameplay of it and it never got me interested in playing one DQ game. Now I know why it isn't popular in the west, because it can't defeat the fun it gives us like the Pokémon games, FF games, and the Mario RPGs.
Dude Dragon Warrior 3 was the **** when I was like 7 or 8. You got a big *** manual with it and posters with all the enemies and items

https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw3nes/dw3nes_manual.pdf

https://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dw3nes/poster/dw3nes_poster_side1.png

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dragon-Warrior-III-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1992/5699?iid=183554809343

You had to use a bit more imagination back in those days but it definitely felt like an adventure. The music was iconic and the enemies were very unique. I love the babble.

You gotta remember this was a time when Enix was a competitor of Square so the franchises of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior were somewhat of rivals.
The responses are appreciated! Hmm...so it seems it pretty much is just what I thought: a generally standard RPG from a long time ago that, while high quality, hasn't really evolved much over the years. That might be fine for some, but I never really got into those kinds of RPGs--I was spoiled by the more action-based gameplay of SMRPG and the unique setting of Earthbound. The "standard" RPG format and gameplay just does not appeal to me. Closest one to that I ever liked was Skies of Arcadia, and that had way more beyond the standard stuff. It takes a bit more for me to bite on and RPG than simply being good at a long-established format.

With that said, I really hope DQ isn't our Sqeenix rep. Even if it's not Geno, that would just be underwhelming.

Edit:
Using the most recent game (Dragon Quest XI) as an example, yes the game does a great job with well written characters, narrative, story, and overall endearing quality.
If you've never played a game in the series before, XI should be your gateway game if VIII already wasn't. But I'd go as far as recommending XI over it since it had little fixes that go a long way that a lot of JRPGs still lack.
For example, on XI, every party member gets the same amount of EXP (and getting EXP isn't a ridiculous grind to 99 either) regardless of if they participated in the battle and you can switch between any party member at any time and aren't required to always have the MC in the party either, plus it has in-game recaps of the story if you've gone a little bit without playing, it can catch you back up like no time has passed.
Oh, and Party Chat is a great feature, as everytime the story moves along, they have new things to say. The characters on XI all feel and come off as best friends and familial and even give eachother guff when needed.
Games in the series are also great at using cliches and then totally messing your expectations.
Another thing to mention is that NPCs are well written too and fun to talk to and revisit. In Dragon Quest XI for example, everytime the story moves along, entire towns get whole new sets of dialogue if you wanna get totally lost and immersed in the world.

There's your problem. Dragon Quest IX's draw was that it's a multiplayer experience.
Ah, was writing my post so I didn't see yours. Very informative, thank you. I could always give XI a try and see if my mind can be changed. I'm all about character interaction, and it sounds like it's got it. I might be able to handle it, if the battle system isn't too much of a drag.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Well, DQ didn't appeal to me. And I didn't full-on mean gameplay, I meant like a YouTube walkthrough/"let's play". I should've been more specific, sorry. Final Fantasy 7 is what appealed to me most, but I agree, FF isn't doing any good for Square at the moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Basically, Dragon Quest uses a tried and true formula (inspired by Wizardry) that generally adds some quality of life refinements with each major iteration (and extra touches like party talk), and never had any radical reinventions like its cousin series Final Fantasy typically did (seriously, the Enix branch does so well with that, I won't be shocked if they eventually split off from Square like IO Interactive did).

It is the purest major JRPG series out there, and people appreciate it for its simplicity.

This. It's always Nintendo's SMRPG tweet from this year and the Vifam gun that always gets me. When the Grinch leak came out, it eventually led to the thought that the gun was used for Mach Rider. Then the leak was fake and the answer went back to the unknown, and still, no newcomers and bosses used any guns that looked similar to the Vifam gun; Inkling doesn't count because her gun looks much different, and it was already made by the Splatoon developers. Sakurai likes to use references when creating his NEW projects.

I, too, have seen the bosses and no boss used any gun that looked similar to the Vifam gun. There is no official artwork for Geno's gun, we have no clue what it would look like in the modern day. This is why Sakurai needed the Vifam gun, to design Geno's hand-gun since there is no official gun design or modern design for Geno's hand-gun.
That's actually a really good point. The guy doesn't hint at anything unless he shows his hand immediately afterwards, so it is generally smart to hide the purpose of something you plan to use in a game project.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace

if every game is the same gameplay wise i can get why it isnt too popular with how simplistic the battles are (at least in my opinion)
They aren't all exactly the same. I just mean the franchise doesn't go overboard with changes like FF13 did. For example in DQ5 you could tame monsters. This was before Pokemon was a thing.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Decided to join the discussion here. Hope Geno is the Square rep, but honestly it could be just about anyone. This new stuff about Vergeben is pretty interesting though. Curious to see how this all plays out in the end.

D

Deleted member

Decided to join the discussion here. Hope Geno is the Square rep, but honestly it could be just about anyone. This new stuff about Vergeben is pretty interesting though. Curious to see how this all plays out in the end.
Welcome to the thread :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As I said to PsychoIncarnate earlier today, Geno's pretty much in arm's reach of the finish line, sitting in a lawn chair drinking a Long Island ice tea because his haters are MF exhausting, especially with today's bombshell that spirits don't discomfirm characters paired with Geno and Mallow literally being the only other Square Enix characters in the game aside from Cloud. We've also established that his closest competition is Erdrick based on insiders. Dragon Quest's liscensing is a nightmare now that we've added yet another company to the pile, making a grand total of four, making the Odyssey look like a Carribean Cruise. DLC includes a character, a stage, and music and all three of these would need to be negotiated and liscensed out by a separate company. For those keeping score at home, Geno needs one, Square Enix and he's literally already in the game along with SMRPG's composer Yoko Shimomura. So, that all said, Murphy's Law would have to kick in hardcore for Geno to entirely miss out, like 20 Make a Wish Foundation kids would have to come forward and request another Square Enix character levels.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, I'm fairly convinced like mentioned before, the other names apart from Geno were leakbait and were deliberate attempts from Square to keep leakers guessing and cause confusion. No other DLC characters have had this many names associated or attached to one company in particular since Square is so paranoid about leaks in general. The Vifam gun was probably meant to be a clue for people later on. That, and remember how the gun functions? Compare it to the Geno Beam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwszwb3aIPg&feature=youtu.be&t=1m2s https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dfe/...venmoo1_500_by_arachnid_le_spider-d9uwvwq.gif Also a clearer image of the gun from the Vifam toy. There's nothing else it could be pointing towards at this point.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
As I said to PsychoIncarnate earlier today, Geno's pretty much in arm's reach of the finish line, sitting in a lawn chair drinking a Long Island ice tea because his haters are MF exhausting, especially with today's bombshell that spirits don't discomfirm characters paired with Geno and Mallow literally being the only other Square Enix characters in the game aside from Cloud. We've also established that his closest competition is Erdrick based on insiders. Dragon Quest's liscensing is a nightmare now that we've added yet another another company to the pile, making a grand total of four, making the Odyssey look like a Carribean Cruise. DLC includes a character, a stage, and music and all three of these would need to be negotiated and liscensed out by a separate company. For those keeping score at home, Geno needs one, Square Enix and he's literally already in the game along with SMRPG's composer Yoko Shimomura. So, that all said, Murphy's Law would have to kick in hardcore for Geno to entirely miss out, like 20 Make a Wish Foundation kids would have to come forward and request another Square Enix character levels.
I don't know if I missed something on that tweet, but did it explicitly say that Spirits didn't deconfirm? My take was it was really vague and didn't really say much, but I may have missed something on it. I've been sick all day so my brain is a bit cloudy.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
As I said to PsychoIncarnate earlier today, Geno's pretty much in arm's reach of the finish line, sitting in a lawn chair drinking a Long Island ice tea because his haters are MF exhausting, especially with today's bombshell that spirits don't discomfirm characters paired with Geno and Mallow literally being the only other Square Enix characters in the game aside from Cloud. We've also established that his closest competition is Erdrick based on insiders. Dragon Quest's liscensing is a nightmare now that we've added yet another another company to the pile, making a grand total of four, making the Odyssey look like a Carribean Cruise. DLC includes a character, a stage, and music and all three of these would need to be negotiated and liscensed out by a separate company. For those keeping score at home, Geno needs one, Square Enix and he's literally already in the game along with SMRPG's composer Yoko Shimomura. So, that all said, Murphy's Law would have to kick in hardcore for Geno to entirely miss out, like 20 Make a Wish Foundation kids would have to come forward and request another Square Enix character levels.
Totally onboard here. Imagine telling ourselves a decade ago all the things in Geno’s favor right now. It’s looking way more real than ever.

One of the most telling things is all the haters coming into the thread can’t even decide which DQ character should be in and some are even still saying Sora is a lock. Just incredibly out of touch. As we know, of course it is possible that Geno doesn’t get in but holy hell if the hard evidence isn’t all pointing positively. SE has a tough enough time negotiating liscensing their own characters, let alone involving other companies that would have to share a piece of the pie with them.

Come on! Let’s get this show on the road.

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Totally onboard here. Imagine telling ourselves a decade ago all the things in Geno’s favor right now. It’s looking way more real than ever.

One of the most telling things is all the haters coming into the thread can’t even decide which DQ character should be in and some are even still saying Sora is a lock. Just incredibly out of touch. As we know, of course it is possible that Geno doesn’t get in but holy hell if the hard evidence isn’t all pointing positively. SE has a tough enough time negotiating liscensing their own characters, let alone involving other companies that would have to share a piece of the pie with them.

Come on! Let’s get this show on the road.
I may have to commission a geno cape if he does get in. Might as well show up to weeklys with style.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Okay. Here's what I will do. I'm not sharing these DMs.

Sephiroth, Crono, and DQ characters are the 3 he heard most. The DQ characters include Erdrick, Luminary who is the DQ11 protagonist, and Slime. He only heard Slime from 1 person. That's 5 of the characters right there. Geno is the sixth. He's heard Geno but he was told to "not take him too seriously". The seventh character, Sora, he said "was told to him as NOT in the game". If Geno was deconfirmed, he would have said the same thing he did with Sora. So, in total, the names are:

-Sephiroth
-Crono
-DQ reps
-Geno
-Sora (who is NOT in)
Yeah, don't really trust Verge with DLC. Might just be me.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just came to a shocking realization... Maybe Geno and Cloud are not so different after all.
"All right, everyone, let's mosey."
Spiritual brothers.
That said, a bit unrelated, but :ultlucas: doesn't have a Memories article. Even though his GAME never came out of Japan. The site staff keeps finding new ways to disappoint.

But what about a Million Arthur character?
Nah, she's already in SNK Heroines.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Hello Geno fans. Since Neku basically doesn't really have a chance anymore, I'm here to support the puppet guy myself!

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
omg you guys are crazy! So many new posts from one night to the next. 10 more pages of your speculation to read through. It's great! We'll reach 400 pages by the end of the month at this rate. Anyway, still holding out for Geno for DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom