• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimax

Smash Ace
As far as I'm concerned, Geno's still in the running unless it gets shown that his Mii costume is back.
There’s a Inklings mii’s costume, so, it’s not a big deal if there’s still a Geno costume.
We’re still in a good spot, now that we know FOR A FACT that Vergeben, we know that a Squate Enix rep is coming.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Looks like it was a player icon. The dream is alive and we aren’t getting off this train for a long time.

Holy piranha plant though LOL

Asxin

Smash Rookie
I keep comforting myself story that Kirby as the hero to save everyone is awesome(I always want stuff like this happen, I even wrote a fanfic like this)...but it's still hard not to get upset.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Dammit Geno's a spirit. I was really rooting for you guys.

Edit: oh, nvm, player icon. Hmmm....

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Thinking about it, as crappy as it is that he's not in the base roster, if he's DLC, he's guaranteed to have a stage and music.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Player icon for SHULK. So, tin foil hat time of predicting the future DLC character???

I mean I doubt it, but as of right now he’s only an icon we’ve seen which is still good news I suppose...

I’m going to be dejected all day I feel like.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Congrats for Geno still standing after the Assist Trophy slaughter. There are 5 DLC spots open, grab one of them.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I mean, spirits are basically just JPGs lol.
Hell there's a Kaptain K. Rool spirit even though King K. Rool is playable.
So i'd say Geno, a RH character, Mach Rider and Banjo are all still runners for DLC.
RIP Isaac and Shadow though :104:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
The only cool moments for me for that entire direct was seeing Fatal Frame characters being included as spirits/AT. I didn’t expect that franchise to be recognized.

Let’s pull for DLC I suppose, how do we even begin though?

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
guys geno isnt a spirit. he is a tag for the online. he has a chance to be dlc. he wasnt deconfirmed

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Phew, that was a big time gut punch. Sakurai and the team probably should've saved K. Rool for this direct, but it's not completely out of line with past Smash games. They've always tended to front load the most exciting content and characters. Piranha Plant I guess is the NES rep. He's kinda giving me Duck Hunt / Bowser Jr. vibes. He looks interesting from a gameplay perspective though. There's still a lot I'm looking forward to: K.Rool, Ridley, Castlevania content, veteran fighters, etc. I'm actually kinda excited to try Ken out. As a Street Fighter fan, I think the subtle changes to his moveset are really cool. I'm a little confused about the online features, though, they feel like a huge step in the opposite direction.

Geno, Isaac, Shantae, Dixie, and Shadow disconfirmations are really tough. With only Ken and Incineroar remaining, I'm surprised they didn't disconfirm them earlier. Right now, it feels like a cynical business move in order to keep hype churning until the very end.

A couple early DLC thoughts: Is Piranha Plant considered the first DLC character? Akira was shown as an assist but not Heihachi or Lloyd. A Square Rep is looking imminent, and I'm thinking it has to be Sora right now. I won't close the door entirely on Geno, but I do feel that being a spirit is disconfirmation. I was feeling Banjo had a shot today with the rumors of the N64 Classic announcement, but I'm thinking he's looking shaky now even as DLC.

I just wanted to quickly add that although I've only been a part of this community for a brief period, it's been a real pleasure following the speculation cycle with you all. Mario RPG is an amazing game regardless of its Smash representation, and I think the dedication of its fans really exemplifies that.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
What is more, the fact that he appears at all means that Sakurai and Nintendo have the rights to use him. So it might point to him being already in development...

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I am so sick of being repeatedly spit on by sakurai. Ending with 3 characters that no one or at least a very small minority asked for.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
Still holding out for Geno DLC. At the very least, Geno being a player icon means that Nintendo at least has the rights to use him; we've got 5 DLC slots, let's make the most out of them, fellow Geno supporters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only cool moments for me for that entire direct was seeing Fatal Frame characters being included as spirits/AT. I didn’t expect that franchise to be recognized.

Let’s pull for DLC I suppose, how do we even begin though?
Sounds like they've already decided who they're going to be. So, 5 characters with Rex, Pyra, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Shadow, Chibi Robo, Lip, Isaac, and Black Knight out of the running and it strongly being implied that at least one of the DLC characters is from Square Enix... It's literally the waiting game at this point. Worse case scenario, we have another year to wait...

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
This is why i stayed skeptical of the grinch leak....so many were absolutely sure it was real, we now see it was faked as well...don’t take anything in it as true, not saying some of the characters listed in it aren’t possible, but shadow and isaac at’s completely destroy any credibility of it.

Speculation time since it’s all we can do atm... you think sakurai might possibly be fighting a long battle against square and maybe that’s why geno isn’t confirmed base? What is the likelihood that sakurai and square are in frustrating negotiations (or...were...) and by the time he finally got geno, he just didn’t have time to get him in by the deadline for release?

We gotta cling to that last bit of hope for dlc. Honestly in some ways it makes things a bit more nerve wracking...least isaac and shadow fans have confirmation of the fate of their characters, we’re still in the dark. But still try to stay hopeful...

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
PiranhaPlant.jpg
Here's a snippit from the official website, so yeah, the piranha plant is separate from the 5 DLC fighters.

Klimax

Smash Ace
So, he's a spirit or a player's icon ? I don't think it changes anything but it's still good to know.
Geno is still likely, there's still the "Square Enix rep"

But, that direct was terrible and I can't wait to see Sakurai finally getting out of Smash, he's just out of touch. Here's what I think about the direct:
- The first trailer was awesome and yeah, Incineroar and Ken are cool.
- The spirits mode looks boring, I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to play it more than 1 hour.
- They talked too much about options.
- So, we just have Dracula and Rathalos as bosses, nothing else ? Boring.
- Huge slap in the face of many fans (what they did to Shadow and Isaac).
- That was just not interesting, I spent 80% of the direct telling myself "this is way too long" while i was telling myself "it was WAY too short" after the 8.8 direct.
- Piranha Plant, sure, the character looks great and fun to play. But, who the **** wanted her ?
- Also, the last trailer. I enjoyed it but seeing Kirby being the one who's saving the day is just boring. Yeah Sakurai, we know that you created Kirby.

Here's my note: Piranha Plant/20.

I think that Geno has a good shot at DLC but after that direct, anything could happen, the next character could be a freakin' Waddle Doo and I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, I gotta say that Sakurai is an hypocrit:
"This is really hard to work with every third party" Yeah sure, so hard that when you get the rights of a character, you transform them into a stupid sticker (Shantae).
"Making a new Smash Bros is really hard, long and exhausting" Yeah sure, so hard that you replaced every trophies by pre-existing images. Just imagine the time they gain by doing that. But "huh having Snake making a comeback was sooooooo hard". Just stop, enough.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Basically Piranha Plant is Smash's first official joke character. Lord, who saw that coming? On an upside, people can't **** on Bandana Waddle Dee fans anymore because we now have an actual generic enemy as a fighter.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Also there's no Geno mii costume we know of so far, if he wasn't being considered for DLC and we know there's a spirit/player icon for him, i'd say that's pretty suspicious.
Though the pessimist in me says the costume is still in and we just haven't seen it lol.
Gonna keep the hope up though.

Last edited:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why people are so down on spirits mode all of a sudden. It's literally a better event mode with boss battles and story stuff. Like what's the deal?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I am so sick of being repeatedly spit on by sakurai. Ending with 3 characters that no one or at least a very small minority asked for.
Lmao "small minority" is being generous to Piranha Plant

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Spirit shouldn't serve as disconfirmations. Remember Mewtwo and Lucas's trophies in 4 before DLC came along?

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
GENO IS DLC; He's not a Spirit; even if he is; that doesn't mean he COULDN'T be DLC; after all, Lucas & Mewtwo were Trophies before becoming DLC in SSB4!!

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Also there's no Geno mii costume we know of so far, if he wasn't being considered for DLC and we know there's a spirit/player icon for him, i'd say that's pretty suspicious.
Though the pessimist in me says the costume is still in and we just haven't seen it lol.
Gonna keep the hope up though.
I agree. I will say it is interesting that he wasn't at least given a "moment" like Shantae and Dixie's spirit or Isaac and Shadow's assist trophy. That little tag could be a hint, but at the same time it could just be that they don't want to overtly show anything other than Cloud from Square yet. I'm gonna keep my Geno hype at a very low setting for the time being. As TBone06 mentioned though, if he is DLC he'll be guaranteed a stage and music which would be awesome.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Might want to keep expectations low just in case Geno gets another shaft. Not that I think Geno will but you never know.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Spirit shouldn't serve as disconfirmations. Remember Mewtwo and Lucas's trophies in 4 before DLC came along?
But he talked about spirits as character specifically not fighting or some ****. It seems like an intentional way of confirming to me

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
But he talked about spirits as character specifically not fighting or some ****. It seems like an intentional way of confirming to me
Spirits are nothing more than existing official artworks. They literally don't have in-game models at all. Plus, K. Rool and Male WFT have spirits as well, yet are still playable.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Yeah, that's what I noticed. My heart is shattered. Rest in piece most of my wanted. Freaking Quote from Cave Story (my most wanted) is still in the running though I noticed. Maybe the indie pick for a character? Idk.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Despite appearing as a Spirit, I think whether or not this deconfirms Geno is debatable. The way I see it: Spirits are somewhat similar to the Stickers in Brawl, in that you could equip them to characters to power them up. Some of the playable characters in Brawl also appeared as Stickers.

Furthermore, when Mewtwo appeared in Smash 4 as a regular trophy, people wrote him off as deconfirmed. Yet, he was later revealed as a downloadable fighter. Also, I wouldn't say Mii Costumes count as a deconfirmation, since there were plenty of Mii Costumes based on playable fighters--which is why I haven't given up hope for Rex.

That all said, I personally wouldn't give up on Geno just yet--at least not until we know whom the five additional fighters will be.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'll just say this. I'm not gonna be ungrateful because we are still getting a fantastic game.

and I don't think being a spirit completely excludes you from having a chance as DLC. heck this proves even more how right Vergeben is! so maybe that Square character is in fact one of the DLCs they are planning and could still very well be Geno. we're not stuck as assist trophies unlike our poor brothers Isaac. my condolences go out to them.

I'm probably gonna bow out from speculation when DLC starts coming around. not wanting to get too caught up in it again and just enjoy whatever does come our way. but it's been a pleasure speculating with you all. I know we will all stay strong and continue to support our boy in the future. I just hope people won't let the lack of one character keep them from enjoying what is gonna be a fantastic game.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping he'd make the base game so I wouldn't have to go through the slog of hoping he makes the grade as a DLC fighter. I find hoping exhausting but I better brace myself for another year (potentially) of keeping it alive.

Geno for DLC 2019!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom