• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So based on Sakurai’s latest Famitsu article.

-This is the last DLC after Fighters pass volume 2 it’s over.

-Sakurai can’t make other games but he’s okay with that and wants to make others happy.

-There are no plans for the future.

Cool with all that. Let’s see what happens next.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Terry is extremely popular in South America, so it¨s not exactly "out of nowhere"
I mean it is. Whenever a character is popular in another region Sakurai is quick to bring it up. Instead Sakurai's presentation was a history lesson on Terry and acting if no one really was aware of who he was. Perhaps Terry is a popular character in South America but it's very safe to say it literally had nothing to do with his appearance in Smash.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
So here's a fun little brainstorm that may have been tried before but I rarely see: we've discussed ad nauseam Geno's moveset, songlist, his opening cinematic, spirit battles and even his reveal placement, but there's something even more fun we can sink our teeth into.

Pretend you're Sakurai. Geno's trailer drops and we get whatever takes form of his reveal cinematic. Now we go into the in-game demonstrations that showcase how Geno functions during play. What kind of clever, deep-cut and funny scenarios do you cook up for Geno's exhibition before the Final Smash?

I have a few ideas that I would love to see. It's hard to be super specific mainly because we won't know some things in advance like what kind of moves he'll end up getting in the end, what his stage will be or even how he'll behave at all, so just assume we can make up some actions that would make sense for his character and try not to be reliant on the SMRPG stage that would come with him. Spoilered for multiple images:

Scene 1:
rpg1.jpg

Recreate the scene with either a pink-haired Villager or Mii Brawler with a Toad Hat behind a shrunken Geno (Poison Mushroom effect). I'm assuming one of Geno's moves will be a rocket punch, which he'll show off against a shrunken Bowser and normal size Mario. Bowser will dodge the attack and hit Mario, who will already have enough damage to be sent flying. Have this take place in one of the rooms in Tomodatchi Life.

Scene 2:

rpg2.jpg

I'd imagine a setup where Geno charges forward through a hail of arrows being fired from characters off-screen (sever versions of Link, probably), to deliver an uppercut (Up-air?) against a red-tunic Link also firing arrows representing Bowyer. Stage would best be fit if we get a Forest Maze section in the DLC, but for now let's go with Garden of Hope or Whispy Woods.

Scene 3:

rpg3.jpg

Pretty lighthearted nod to the Docaty Mountain Railroad, have either Geno or Mario in the minecart in The Great Cave Offensive stage chasing the other down the tracks. Add in a super mushroom over the rider homaging the boost mechanic before it hits the fleeing party.

Scene 4:

rpg4.jpg

Have Geno and Mario taunting or standing at the base of Princess Peach's Castle, then have Peach descend with her Parasol and join in, as if she's joined the party like the original.

Scene 5:

rpg5.jpg

Have Geno on the Fountain of Dreams stage, where Star-themed items keep spawning from the sky (Super Stars, Launch Stars, maybe even a Starfy assist). Have Kirby crash down in front of him on a Warp Star, shocking him.

Scene 6:

rpg6.jpg

Set it in Gerudo Valley, and have Geno fighting Meta Ridley holding the Staff item, who looks the closest to Yaridovich. This might be the best place to show off the Geno Beam, which surely would be in the moveset somewhere.

Scene 7:

rpg7.jpg

Skyworld from Kid Icarus. Put Palutena in the back with Geno busting out his Heavy Smash attacks against a DeDeDe in his black alt. If possible, put in a stationary Gold Mario that Dedede turns back to, then ignores.

Scene 8:

rpg8.jpg

Aboard the Halberd stage, Geno fights 5 differently colored Game & Watches, representing the Axem Rangers. I'd imagine Geno Flash as an AoE special, that he'd use here to demonstrate how many characters he could hit at once.

Scene 9:

rpg10.jpg

Put Geno fighting a Shovel Knight assist trophy on the Midgar stage, with Metal versions of Meta Knight, ROB and Mega Man to homage the mass produced weapons of Smithy Factory. Bowser, Peach and or Mario could assist with the other fighters, while Geno maneuvers towards Shovel Knight.

Forgive the wall, but there are so many fun scenarios we could whip up to create a montage for Geno's reveal that I thought could be good food for thought. What kinds of ideas might you all have?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well, with the latest PapaGenos video providing much more evidence that Mandycan did the Twitter trick...

I think next time we ought to be more wary of these kinds of leakers. Mandy was smart to keep a nice and approachable persona but I honestly think he fooled a lot of you.

I give him credit for being a nice guy and not pulling usual fake leaker 101 stuff.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just hope for our sake that all the insiders/sources who're willing to bet on Geno being playable that Fatman talked about a while back are accurate.

QQS

Smash Lord
I'm still thinking we might still have a chance of Geno being FP6, he would still technically be the 7th DLC character overall after all. That, and if Cloud didn't need an E3 direct to be revealed, then neither does Geno frankly.
That’s right. Just waiting for his reveal, in a Direct or E3. He will be probably #76; if not, he will be #77.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean it is. Whenever a character is popular in another region Sakurai is quick to bring it up. Instead Sakurai's presentation was a history lesson on Terry and acting if no one really was aware of who he was. Perhaps Terry is a popular character in South America but it's very safe to say it literally had nothing to do with his appearance in Smash.
With your logic, I suppose no one knew what Fire Emblem was, concidering his breakdown and history lesson of that franchise? Oh wait....

Heck he has had a history lesson of every character besides Joker (who came with that massive infodump trailer)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
With your logic, I suppose no one knew what Fire Emblem was, concidering his breakdown and history lesson of that franchise? Oh wait....

Heck he has had a history lesson of every character besides Joker (who came with that massive infodump trailer)
I honest to god think he did try to increase general knowledge on the series. Perhaps he thinks people just think of them as "those sword guys". Really insane. I mean I get Smash bros dwarfs the sales FE but Sakurai come on. Still, he never once mentions Terry's popularity in any region. It's pretty obvious it's more what SNK has done and Sakurai's personal attachment to KoF that got him in.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I honest to god think he did try to increase general knowledge on the series. Perhaps he thinks people just think of them as "those sword guys". Really insane. I mean I get Smash bros dwarfs the sales FE but Sakurai come on. Still, he never once mentions Terry's popularity in any region. It's pretty obvious it's more what SNK has done and Sakurai's personal attachment to KoF that got him in.
Outside of arguably Dragon Quest ("Iconic Japanese RPG") he never said jack #%"¤ on where the popularity of said character comes from. So sorry, but your logic makes no sense what so ever. Yes, there could have some corporate attachment as well, but to say that there was no demand for him what so ever concidering his status in South America. Just because YOU don¨t know where it¨s popular does not mean it's not popular everywhere.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
You are wrong because you are arguing semantics on a separate topic.

Fatman is arguing about individual character SLOTS in the game.

You are arguing about character uniqueness and personality, which has nothing to do with the argument.

Move on, and learn to understand the statement being made before you try to debate next time.
Except that's not the argument at all. We were talking about the theory that ALSO includes shared-slot characters like the Koopalings, Alph, and Hero's variations. Which, oh yeah, are not individual slots. So how about you learn to understand the statement being made before you try to debate next time?

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Outside of arguably Dragon Quest ("Iconic Japanese RPG") he never said jack #%"¤ on where the popularity of said character comes from. So sorry, but your logic makes no sense what so ever. Yes, there could have some corporate attachment as well, but to say that there were no demand for him what so ever concidering his status in South America.
Um yes he did. Banjo he mentioned the west. Joker he didn't mention because he was also out of nowhere. Chrom was east. Dark Samus was west. K Rool was everywhere. Ridley was west. If a character is popular in a specific region he always brings it up.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Um yes he did. Banjo he mentioned the west. Joker he didn't mention because he was also out of nowhere. Chrom was east. Dark Samus was west. K Rool was everywhere. Ridley was west. If a character is popular in a specific region he always brings it up.
Just listened to the Banjo presentation, and no he didn¨t.
And care to link me about the Chrom, K.Rool and Dark Samus?

Do you know what your argument reminds me of? It reminds me of comic book fans, that claims that Hollywood should use "said character" because of that character is popular within the comics, but fail to realize that the general moviegoing audience 99% knows jack **** about said character. A classic example where the whole "what Spiderman should MCU use", with many arguing about Miles Morales for MCU and Sony continues with their new version of Peter Parker starring Andrew Garfield at the time, even though when the general moviegoing audience at then (and still do even after the animated Spiderman Into The Spiderverse) think Peter Parker when they hear Spiderman

I said it before, and I say it again. Just because a group of people do not care/care about a character, does not mean that others do not/do care about said character. There are tons of people that do care about Terry, even if it's not within our circle. Yes, of course, there were more than just fan demand that made Nintendo to chose Terry, but that goes for every character and to belive the oppositive is just foolish

Joker - Strengthen the relationship with Atlus, a popular character from a recent game, while Atlus get the chance to promote Persona5R and Scramble (with the latter soon to arrive on Switch)
Dragon Quest - Square Enix needed to push the franchise hard over in the west to justify distribution overseas. Something Smash helped a lot with.
Banjo - Strengthen relationship with Microsoft and arguably the easiest one to grab between him, Master Chief and Steve.
Terry - Promote SNK for what they have done for Nintendo back since the SNES era, and throw Sakurai a personal bone
Byleth - Promoting the DLC that got its trailer pretty much right on cue after his Smash Bros reveal.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Here you go!
https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-smash-bros-ultimate-newest-fighter-reveals-modes-and-more/
"The Direct also revealed that Chrom from the Fire Emblem series and Dark Samus from the Metroid series would be joining the fight. Both Chrom and Dark Samus were highly requested fighters, the former mostly being within Japan and the latter being overseas."

GenoBoomer.png

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Just listened to the Banjo presentation, and no he didn¨t.
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1143913069044588545
The thing is Sakurai usually talks about the characters more in-depth about why they were added in articles so while he didn't in his presentation he did in his famitsu column.
No problem as it's the same article for all 3.
https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-smash-bros-ultimate-newest-fighter-reveals-modes-and-more/
Do you know what your argument reminds me of? It reminds me of comic book fans, that claims that Hollywood should use "said character" because of that character is popular within the comics, but fail to realize that the general moviegoing audience 99% knows jack **** about said character. A classic example where the whole "what Spiderman should MCU use", with many arguing about Miles Morales for MCU and Sony continues with their new version of Peter Parker starring Andrew Garfield at the time, even though when the general moviegoing audience at then (and still do even after the animated Spiderman Into The Spiderverse)
No idea what you're trying to get at. I'm saying Terry is one of those characters people are unfamiliar with.

I said it before, and I say it again. Just because a group of people do not care/care about a character, does not mean that others do not/do care about said character. There are tons of people that do care about Terry, even if it's not within our circle. Yes, of course, there were more than just fan demand that made Nintendo to chose Terry, but that goes for every character
I agree sometimes people don't consider a different group's opinion. However, what I'm saying is Nintendo most likely didn't base on sort of decision-based on Terry's popularity in South America considering it's such a small region as far as videogames go. Really while I don't doubt the claim he's loved there I just doubt it had any bearing what so ever on his inclusion.
Terry - Promote SNK for what they have done for Nintendo back since the SNES era, and throw Sakurai a personal bone
Yeah exactly.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
"The Direct also revealed that Chrom from the Fire Emblem series and Dark Samus from the Metroid series would be joining the fight. Both Chrom and Dark Samus were highly requested fighters, the former mostly being within Japan and the latter being overseas."
Thank you.

No idea what you're trying to get at. I'm saying Terry is one of those characters people are unfamiliar with.
What I tried to tell you is that, just because he is unfamiliar within the circles "WE" are in, doesn¨t mean he is unfamiliar EVERYWHERE. Something that a lot of people fail to realize no matter the fandom.

Yeah exactly.
Did you miss that I pointed out that every DLC had some form of corporate reasoning or did you just not care to write about those?

D

Deleted member

Keeping a close eye on that direct tommorow.

This series looks awesome.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Thank you.

What I tried to tell you is that, just because he is unfamiliar within the circles "WE" are in, doesn¨t mean he is unfamiliar EVERYWHERE. Something that a lot of people fail to realize no matter the fandom.

Did you miss that I pointed out that every DLC had some form of corporate reasoning or did you just not care to write about those?
But the issue is I know where Terry is familiar, and I'd bet all my money Terry was meant to appeal to the FGC than some popularity in South America, but more importantly, it was the reasons listed that were actual considerations. I'm sure FGC fans thinking it was cool was an added bonus but really it wasn't popularity that got Terry in. As for the other having possible cooperate motives I did ignore them as they aren't relevant to the discussion but if you want my opinions on them Joker is mainly right but it's also due to Sakurai being a big fan as P5 is mainly Sony associated it's not the Atlus character most beneficial for Nintendo to use but his game was well received and he was a massive surprise so Sakurai picking a character he wanted is fine when it's more subtle than Byleth, Hero yeah no arguments, Banjo I disagree, it was fan demand that drove that decision, otherwise, we would have Steve or the Chief over him, I'm sure fostering relations with Microsoft didn't hurt but it was fan demand. And Byleth is Byleth. No one is claiming that was done to a secret demand. 3H is a fantastic game but that was blatant corporate shilling.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If you are talking about the guy in the pointed hat, I agree. But what is that anime, anyway?

God, I am bored, because of a lack of Smash news.
Yup, and the anime is the 90s Moominvalley. The pointed-hat dude’s name is Snufkin.

I’ve watched a few episodes so far, sometime recently YouTube started recommending me Moominvalley videos out of nowhere, and I like them. I think all of the cartoon’s episodes are on Youtube as well, that’s where I’ve been watching them. I recognized Snufkin from people comparing Geno to him sometime earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm really looking forward to tommorow.

The series seems really special and it just seems like one of those games that'd cheer you up if you had a rough day. The calming atmosphere, amazing characters beautiful music.

Definetly can't wait too see what they got on in store.

You got this Animal Crossing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I think next time we ought to be more wary of these kinds of leakers. Mandy was smart to keep a nice and approachable persona but I honestly think he fooled a lot of you.
Idk about nice and approachable. Based on his tweets, especially hours before his "leak" was wrong, his confidence gave him a very arrogant vibe. Not saying that he's a bad guy or anything, but the "212% confidence" was pretty obnoxious to then blatantly be wrong.

Here you go!
The *Belmonts* were added because of the ballot. Geno is a lock unless SE is a ****. There's no way Geno did worse than the Belmonts; I refuse to believe that.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Get ready for Animal Crossing NH Direct Tomorrow.
Aww man, do I have to? It's on at 6 am PST, I really don't want to wake up that early again so soon after Byleth.
GenoDisappoint.png

I am so excited for tomorrow
While I like the series quite a bit, and I'm definitely happy for everyone who's excited for it, over the years I've found myself growing more and more tired of it's slow, laid back gameplay. From what I've seen of it, it just seems like more of the same old same old, so it's not really that exciting to me.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
While I like the series quite a bit, and I'm definitely happy for everyone who's excited for it, over the years I've found myself growing more and more tired of it's slow, laid back gameplay. From what I've seen of it, it just seems like more of the same old same old, so it's not really that exciting to me.
I'm kind of in the same boat after NL, but NH seems to be different. Hoping the direct blows expectations away and makes that delay worth it. If it's just "more of the same", I will be fairly disappointed, but I'll still enjoy it. Really hoping crafting is deep and extensive and not just "well now you can craft stuff instead of buying stuff" because that would really suck if it just replaces the store.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Obviously we don't have hard data on the Smash Ballot but this poll collection did get like 40k sample size.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
Link doesn't work but without even looking at it, even if I was given evidence to the contrary, unless it was presented by Nintendo/Sakurai themselves, I just refuse to believe he didn't do well.

In this, Geno did better than a lot of characters that are already playable.
Yeah, likely further confirming that it's SE who caused issues in the past, and if we don't get him in Ultimate yet again, I will blame them forever.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Link doesn't work but without even looking at it, even if I was given evidence to the contrary, unless it was presented by Nintendo/Sakurai themselves, I just refuse to believe he didn't do well.

Yeah, likely further confirming that it's SE who caused issues in the past, and if we don't get him in Ultimate yet again, I will blame them forever.
The link works now so give it another go.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Geno is from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the SEVEN stars. Geno is speculated you be the 7th DLC which would make him the 77th Fighter.....I think Nintendo WOULD do this just for the joke

D

Deleted member

I think we’re very likely to get him. It’s unlikely that Mii costume is missing at the first wave for nothing. Strangely every costume pack came back with 2 returning costumes except Hero. Hopefully that Smithy/Mallow costume leak is still legit. We may not know Geno’s fate up till Fighter 7 or 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

QQS

Smash Lord
The good thing is that, assuming for example we don’t have a February Smash Direct, Geno reveal would be March or June, not beyond that. Call me a dreamer but for me he is already in as a playable character and he was always considered since they dropped the costume in WiiU.

Geno is from 1996, the first Smash is 1999. He is from that era. Then in Melee (2001) Geno was already in the polls, high places (if I remember well, ranked #8); then Sakurai himself (2008) admitted he wanted and think Geno fits perfectly for the game. After that, when Square Enix began building bridges with Smash, they began with the first piece of cake (Cloud) and for me, since that moment, Sakurai was already allowed to add Geno, but he thought it was better to save this gift for the next Smash. It makes sense, cause the Team already started working on Smash Ultimate after WiiU-DLC ended, so putting Geno there would be to soon to surprise us, and a costume would keep us calm for a while. Now in Ultimate we can confirm that fans have been listened (Ridley, KKR & Banjo), and also we got the second piece of cake (Hero) in the game. So SquareEnix is already big enough represented and it’s time to bring the third and final character: Geno. Long time requested, 24 years old, always on the top polls, coming probably with a Sora-costume to the KH fans, and perfect for this game, given the “back to the roots” scenario we can see in many aspects (Ocarina themed characters, Bowser has Yoshi’s Island Final Smash, and many more).

Moreover, it was pointless to add Geno in the FP1, cause it had already a Square Enix character and the Pass was already universally well bought and paid with Banjo-Kazooie. So adding Geno there would have been going with your best two cards in the hand in the same turn. Of course you have to wait, and drop Geno at #76, #77 or even #78.

If you ask me, I know being #76 would make him the 7th DLC cause we had Plant + the other five before; but having him in #77 would make him come in Challenger Pack #7, which makes a perfect square in many things. Hero also was the second pick of the Pass, Geno is the second person to join the party in SMRPG and he restores the second star in the game and the game has the name Seven Stars on it. People would associate and remember better that he is character #77 (in honor of the game-name); rather than he is #76 (being technically the seventh DLC).

If I have to choose; I would prefer for other person to be #76 (Doomguy, Crash, Hayabusa, Waluigi or a Pokémon); and Geno to be #77. I know my most requested character ever will make it in very soon. Been waiting since 1996.

Almost every fan-favorite pick are already playable and Geno is acknowledged even by Sakurai. He fits perfectly in design, moveset and also bringing some new mechanics to the game: timed hits. It’s just Ultímate character to close this long big demand. I also believe he has many options of a CGI trailer: something Geno related (puppets in the box from Smash 64, Bowyer scene or coming to life in Gaz’s house) or following up Rosalina’s trailer, which would be also amazing, cause this is Smash and it’s a crossover.

Hope I explained myself clear, best wishes from Chile and thanks for reading. Long time Geno fan from 1990. My dream character would become true sooner than later.

Will let some Sakurai words for motivation:

"Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter," said Sakurai. "He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash. I was hoping I'd be able to put him in as far back as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but unfortunately that never ended up materializing."
"He's incredibly popular," noted Sakurai. "Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game."

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Now that we know for certain this is it, I feel like something like this is the end result. Maybe Waluigi instead of Toxtricity, but I'm very confident in this.

link2702

Smash Champion
This should be Geno's voice:

...this is it, I think this one would be fine.

I still am of the mindset though that it should be through some sort of filter or something to give it some sort of echo or hollow ring to it since he's a wooden doll. Just nothing overboard to where you can't clearly hear his voice.

But this VA..I think they'd fit.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The link works now so give it another go.
Thank you, and very interesting stuff. Seeing Phoenix that close to Simon is also veeeery interesting, assuming I was reading all that right. Really curious who is in this pack; I'm itching to know.

QQS

Smash Lord
Credits to TrevZed on YouTube for my new profile picture. Nice video and awesome design/voice for Geno by the way!

Thank you!

1BFADF74-6FB2-4663-ADD4-66E35D6E3D06.png

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Credits to TrevZed on YouTube for my new profile picture. Nice video and awesome design/voice for Geno by the way!

Thank you!

View attachment 263180
So credits for the artist, thanks bro!
Seriously, you guys are gonna get the thread locked again if you keep up this off-topic discussion.
GenoGunHat.png

Remember THE HAT.
:ultpacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom