• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I almost completely forgot. Last year, I went to the Kingdom Hearts Orchestra Concert. Was absolutely amazing as a KH and Yoko Shimomura fan. I also got the VIP ticket, meaning I got to meet her and have her sign something.

...While everyone else was understandably having her sign Kingdom Hearts copies and Albums, I had her sign this.

IMG_20180908_112215423.jpg

IMG_20180908_112244716.jpg

She was surprised, to be sure :V.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So I just beat SMRPG for the first time and I gotta say, what a great game! (Played like a mad man) My team was Mario Geno and Peach. I did not get the lazy she'll or fight Culex, but you can bet that will be next. If (when) Geno is revealed they HAVE to have a reunion of some kind for our long lost friend.

pika.thunder25

Smash Rookie
Hi! Just want to throw in my support for Geno! I've been listening to Forest Maze nonstop these days, and the hype is real. I'm actually in the middle of my first playthrough of SMRPG, and I absolutely love it (had to take a break recently because of college)! Geno is one of my favorite characters in the game, and I'm hoping to finish it before a potential Geno reveal.

I have a gut feeling that he was supposed to have been revealed in this latest Nintendo Direct (him or Skull Kid, though I don't peg SK's likelihood as high as everyone else's), but either way, I hope to see him soon, and I definitely want to semi-main him!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I almost completely forgot. Last year, I went to the Kingdom Hearts Orchestra Concert. Was absolutely amazing as a KH and Yoko Shimomura fan. I also got the VIP ticket, meaning I got to meet her and have her sign something.

...While everyone else was understandably having her sign Kingdom Hearts copies and Albums, I had her sign this.

View attachment 162560
View attachment 162561
Awesome! If I went to her concert I would've liked to do the same, I'm glad you did this :D

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Now that I've beaten the game I just found out that Yoko Shimomura was the one who did the soundtrack! As a huge Kingdom Hearts fan that was crazy to learn, no wonder why I liked the music in this game so much! With hindsight, It really was a treat to hear her earlier compositions and get to experience her evolution as an artist.

It becomes super mega obvious after listening to her updated composition for "Goodbye Geno." The soft strings and piano are unmistakably her style.

Seriously, just play that over any emotional scene in Kingdom Hearts and you wouldn't even know that the song was made in another game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Now that I've beaten the game I just found out that Yoko Shimomura was the one who did the soundtrack! As a huge Kingdom Hearts fan that was crazy to learn, no wonder why I liked the music in this game so much! With hindsight, It really was a treat to hear her earlier compositions and get to experience her evolution as an artist.

It becomes super mega obvious after listening to her updated composition for "Goodbye Geno." The soft strings and piano are unmistakably her style.

Seriously, just play that over any emotional scene in Kingdom Hearts and you wouldn't even know that the song was made in another game.
Fun fact, she credits this game along with Street Fighter 2 and Kingdom Hearts as the turning point of her career, so it holds a lot of weight for her.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Awesome! If I went to her concert I would've liked to do the same, I'm glad you did this :D
She gave me a VERY surprised look at first, then she smiled. I would have loved to talk with her more about it, but the line had to move very fast.

Another fun fact, a friend of mine also met her back at Anime Boston a few years back and brought her M&L Dream Team to sign. She apparently beamed when that happened after all the KH merch she had been signing that day, haha.

My friend also said she apparently wasn't too satisfied with her work on Dream Team when she talked with him for a moment. If that's what Yoko can do on an off day, then I fully believe she's incapable of making bad music, haha.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 162560
View attachment 162561
That sounds so freaking cool! Oh my God going to one of her concerts sounds like a dream! I think you may have made her day bringing an old but nostaglic reminder of her past to her instead of the doubtlessly countless Kingdom Hearts things she would typically sign.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
That sounds so freaking cool! Oh my God going to one of her concerts sounds like a dream! I think you may have made her day bringing an old but nostaglic reminder of her past to her instead of the doubtlessly countless Kingdom Hearts things she would typically sign.
I sure hope so! I couldn't really read her expression at first since she was really caught off guard, but I like to think her smile in the photo was genuine.

Here's to hoping she finally gets to revisit some of her Mario RPG compositions when our boy makes it in!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
New Leak

1536431767194.png

unknown.png

(Bottom Right is implied Geno)

It's part of this leak though

1536429401495-jpg.png

Which people have already proven is fake

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

I've... never heard this before. This is absolutely amazing.

New Leak

View attachment 162608
View attachment 162609

View attachment 162610

This brings up a good point of discussion; if Geno doesn't use the Mario icon, what could his icon be?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This brings up a good point of discussion; if Geno doesn't use the Mario icon, what could his icon be?
I have always said that it would be Exor. It was on all the promotional material, it was first surreal SMRPG thing you saw in the game, and he's very iconic.

link2702

Smash Champion
What if his icon was the starman from the mario series? Where as mario and the rest get the mushroom icon, Geno would get the star. It would both differentiate him from the standard mario crew while also having him be clearly linked to them. It would also fit his character more.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
New Leak

View attachment 162608
View attachment 162609

View attachment 162610

Has it been though? It's hard to keep up in the general thread. I know someone said they found the render for that Golisopod, but it truly doesn't match up with what's there.
That is an interesting thing though. Why go through with all this work to make a fake leak?
As far as what icon to use for Geno, Starman could work, but the RPG logo is interesting as well.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Has it been though? It's hard to keep up in the general thread. I know someone said they found the render for that Golisopod, but it truly doesn't match up with what's there.
That is an interesting thing though. Why go through with all this work to make a fake leak?
As far as what icon to use for Geno, Starman could work, but the RPG logo is interesting as well.
I mean, considering they gave Cloud a "FF" instead of the Meteor logo from 7 despite Smash classifying it as FF7 and not Final Fantasy in General, I guess it could happen.

I still feel like he's just have the Mushroom icon though.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I mean, considering they gave Cloud a "FF" instead of the Meteor logo from 7 despite Smash classifying it as FF7 and not Final Fantasy in General, I guess it could happen.

I still feel like he's just have the Mushroom icon though.
I would think so, but Geno is owned by SE. So who knows what it would be.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
New Leak

View attachment 162608
View attachment 162609

View attachment 162610

Seems too good to be true. Like those are a lot of new series icons. Mario RPG, Banjo, Chibi robo, I assume the sun is golden sun. Not sure about what the other symbols are.

Also Golisopod? Feel like that's the arbitrary "lets put something weird and unexpected so people believe it" pick made for a leak

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
A lot of the series icons on there are pulled directly from Smashified characters. The BK one, the Golden Sun one, and it looks like Klonoa's wind gem ring as well.

So yeah, prolly fake. It is true they put in some work for this one, though.

On the icon for Geno...I like the starman idea best. It might clash with Kirby a bit, but it fits so well. I could live with the RPG, though. Or even just the mushroom. I just want Geno in, lol.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I would have a shooting star for Geno's logo to reference that people make wishes on shooting stars. It's also an allusion to when Exor falls and the game title is shown.

What would his victory theme be like? The tune that plays when one of the stars is obtained or the battle victory theme? I guess if it was the battle victory theme, it'd work like Cloud's where it is the original and plays throughout until the player goes back to the select screen.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
A lot of the series icons on there are pulled directly from Smashified characters. The BK one, the Golden Sun one, and it looks like Klonoa's wind gem ring as well.

So yeah, prolly fake. It is true they put in some work for this one, though.

On the icon for Geno...I like the starman idea best. It might clash with Kirby a bit, but it fits so well. I could live with the RPG, though. Or even just the mushroom. I just want Geno in, lol.
I don’t think it would clash to much, Kirby’s star icon is tilted, and doesn’t have eyes, so geno getting the starman would still stand out.

Make the points less round,give it eyes, and don’t have it tilted like Kirby’s and it’s clear it’s a mario Star not a Kirby one.

As for victory theme, the fanfare from smrpg is easy and simple to use, but they could also go with the opening part of the forest Maze theme.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I would have a shooting star for Geno's logo to reference that people make wishes on shooting stars. It's also an allusion to when Exor falls and the game title is shown.

What would his victory theme be like? The tune that plays when one of the stars is obtained or the battle victory theme? I guess if it was the battle victory theme, it'd work like Cloud's where it is the original and plays throughout until the player goes back to the select screen.
It's either the victory theme or bust. Why leave that piece of nostalgia out?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If the Geno costume is something to go by, Geno would get the Super Mario RPG logo as the character's logo, and would be in smash as its own series instead of as a Mario rep.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
So the costume has been out for 3 years. I know I still use my Geno Mii fighter. How about everyone here? I firmly believe the only Mii fighter that looks anything like what they're supposed to is Geno. Everyone else looks funny. Like K. Rool is just a Mii wearing an alligator suit, you can't even use your imagination to pretend it's him. I was so happy we got a Geno costume in Wii U! just hope he's in this time as the real deal. I feel like no matter what equipment I give him, he's always one step behind the Level 9 CPU's. I like to watch CPU battles. I'm still grateful for it, but here's hoping we get the real thing in Ultimate!
IMG_2310.JPG

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know going back to this image guys I noticed something...
what is the background supposed to be??

previously I assumed this was him being picked on the character select screen but that's not how the background looks like when a fighter is selected.
i mean I already distrust any zoomed in picture because if it's so close it obviously means they are trying to hide something.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
You know going back to this image guys I noticed something...
what is the background supposed to be??

previously I assumed this was him being picked on the character select screen but that's not how the background looks like when a fighter is selected.
i mean I already distrust any zoomed in picture because if it's so close it obviously means they are trying to hide something.

A while back, I got to wondering the very same thing you did: this does not look like the CSS. So where is Geno?

It could be gameplay footage, but then what's the stage he's on? No one stage jumps out at me, but it does look like something I've seen before. Specifically, someplace with water, and a blue sky...I just can't place it. Could also be a new stage.

What's more, it could be part of his trailer. That might explain why the background is so simple. But I'm not sure there's a setting anywhere in SMRPG that looks like that...

So many mysteries. I think that's why this leak is so intriguing. No one can completely figure it out. It's like the new Palutena leak.

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
The momentum just vanished across all the threads today. Glad to see y'all and the Isaac thread are still chuggin' along though

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The background of that Geno image always seemed to match Wii Fit Studio's aesthetic in my eyes. It's not a perfect match but the closest that I can see.

The momentum just vanished across all the threads today. Glad to see y'all and the Isaac thread are still chuggin' along though
That's because of the Direct delay. Smash hype has gone to a standstill, partly out of respect to the people of Hokkaido and partly because what happened completely killed the momentum of the day before. I'm sure once the Direct gets a new date people will start speculating once again.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
We were DEFINITELY going to get a fighter in that direct, there's little room for doubt. That's why everything has slowed down... We're just waiting for the next direct announcement, because we KNOW we're gonna have something to sink our teeth into.

WatchMojo uploaded the top 10 most requested characters to be placed in Smash Bros by fans. Geno is placed 2nd behind to Waluigi. Happy that fans wanted to see Geno make it in.
I wouldn't take anything WatchMojo says at face value. There are no actual statistics behind anything they do.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno was to be revealed alongside two veterans, who would you want them to be? I resent the fact that Rosalina makes so much sense and fits so well because I LOATHE Rosalina in Smash. I like the idea of ROB because he's technically a toy come to life too. Bowser Jr or Metaknight attacking with their respective airships is a fun idea too.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If Geno was to be revealed alongside two veterans, who would you want them to be? I resent the fact that Rosalina makes so much sense and fits so well because I LOATHE Rosalina in Smash. I like the idea of ROB because he's technically a toy come to life too. Bowser Jr or Metaknight attacking with their respective airships is a fun idea too.
Sorry man, Rosalina is bar none the most sensible character to be in his trailer. You can hate her in Smash, but that doesn't stop her from being one of the best Mario characters. :V

As for another rep, I half wanna see Cloud. Just to finally see Geno and Final Fantasy in the same shot together.

No, Culex doesn't count.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Yeah it makes sense, but like I said previously, Peach NEEDS to be in his reveal. She could be attacked by Bowser Jr or somebody. Then Geno could message to save the day.

grizby2

Smash Lord
having Rosalina in the trailer would be great, because YOU can watch her DIE :demon:

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m still of the mindset that they need to somehow make his reveal based on the original smash64 opening. How they do it without spoiling his reveal too early in it idk.

I agree that Rosalina does make some sense to be in it in some ways, but I also feel it’d be better to have mario, peach and bowser, just because they all appeared together and worked together in smrpg.

But regardless I just wanna see something using the original smash bros opening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom