• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not about to let myself get hopeful just yet, as I'd pretty much accepted that Geno's not coming in my mind, but I can't deny the intrigue over this. I've been wracking my brain with figuring out how this could feasibly connect to anything else given the timing. I've just come up with empty leads. Granted, the hints for Banjo and Kazooie were right there, and I'd been flat-out told that they were happening for sure... and I still wasn't getting my hopes up. I'm ridiculously jaded, but it's been a good cushion in case of disappointment.

Today's a great day, though, starling stuff or not! Operation Starfall's site is up and ready, and we're gonna be doing some neat stuff with the project!!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, let's suppose for a moment that the bird has nothing to do with Geno, who else would be associated with a starling?

Feels like a lot of this is hanging on the fact that it's a starling, but what if it was just a photograph of a bird he was sharing? As in, not taking into consideration what kind of bird it was, but hinting at something else entirely? I know some have asked this question already but I do kind of wonder if we just won't know until the news of whatever it is drops and we'll only know by then what this was all about.
I don't really think he's gone up to the levels of "this is not a pipe" in regards to riddles here. Let's not get crazy.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Back when the Banjo rumors were circulating I briefly graced that thread with my presence, and look what happened? So now I’ve come to bless this thread as well/s

In all seriousness, I think this hint is way too vague to narrow it down to anything yet. I personally don’t think it means Geno, but you never know.

I haven’t come to tell you to temper your expectations, be as hype as you wanna be! I just think the bird may mean something completely unrelated to Smash, and personally I wouldn’t put all my eggs in this one basket.

It’s nice to see this thread get some activity though!

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Back when the Banjo rumors were circulating I briefly graced that thread with my presence, and look what happened? So now I’ve come to bless this thread as well/s

In all seriousness, I think this hint is way too vague to narrow it down to anything yet. I personally don’t think it means Geno, but you never know.

I haven’t come to tell you to temper your expectations, be as hype as you wanna be! I just think the bird may mean something completely unrelated to Smash, and personally I wouldn’t put all my eggs in this one basket.

It’s nice to see this thread get some activity though!
Oh hey Noipoi! It's nice to see you're visiting the thread it's always a pleasure to have you around.

I would have to agree with what you're saying though. This is too vague to put all our hopes on and to debunk the other scenarios straight up nor is it enough to debunk it going for Geno. It's a wait and see scenario which is why I'm not holding my breath, Of course I would like it to be Geno but I don't know one way or another but none of us do.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Ah, and here I was thinking there was some old leak I knew nothing about like a Mario pipe or something lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, nothing has happened, as usual for this month.

There's still Jon's otters post though (which probably has nothing to do with Smash, but does at least hint that some sort of news should be coming soon), but that's it.

I mean, I'd be 95 by that point, so...

Like I said, you guys are young. XD
And physically speaking, I haven't actually aged since I was 16.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
It seems more like Sabi doesn't know if it means nothing. It could be something, could be nothing, but it's not labelled as a tease. She knows as much as we do.
But wouldn't the source tell Sabi it's a tease? I imagine if it was something it would've been at least said that it was a tease in DMs or something or another.

I don't know what to think of this, Maybe I jumped the gun. Maybe I didn't all I know is it looks bad.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm losing hope as fast as I gained it. If Sabi's source was trying to tell us Geno was in wouldn't they have sent a picture of a doll or something? The bird is probably just a bird anyway. I can't imagine they expected us to recognize the specific species. If Fatman didn't already know what it was, we probably never would have even thought about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We just don't know, that's it. No need to panic over vagueness that makes the supposed "female with a projectile" rumor look clear-cut.

It's kinda awkward to bring up a picture from what's a talk between acquaintances, when you're not sure if the person who posted it wanted other people to see it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But wouldn't the source tell Sabi it's a tease? I imagine if it was something it would've been at least said that it was a tease in DMs or something or another.

I don't know what to think of this, Maybe I jumped the gun. Maybe I didn't all I know is it looks bad.
He usually doesn't... That's the kicker. Like I've been saying, we don't know because he's doing his usual thing of going off the grid for awhile.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Imagine packing it up when someone says they have no idea what it means.

It doesn't me it is or isn't something important. I means Sabi doesn't know what it means and is tired of being asked about it.
Yeah I may have jumped the gun too early, I just assumed they would've told Sabi that it may have been a hint. I just want to know the fate of Geno already and I don't want this hope I have to turn out false so I preemptively assumed it meant the bird was nothing.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, listen here, y'all. If this turns out to be nothing, don't look at this as reason to grow silent. In fact, use this as a reason to get louder. We want to see our boy come back? Fight. Keep fighting. Don't give up. I know it sounds tempting to, trust me, I do, but this is just another sign to me that we need to be even louder for Nintendo and Square to understand how much our boy means to us.

LET'S BE LOUD. LET'S DO IT.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But for now. Go out and impress all your friends with your newly acquired knowledge of the European Starling.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Food for thought: If I was a well-known leaker who was literally spoken to by Nintendo legal team ninjas about not leaking their **** with the dangling threat of legal action I wouldn’t publicly sign off on any sort of vague rumors either especially if they were connected to something big like SSBU stuff even if I did think they could be legit.

Well, listen here, y'all. If this turns out to be nothing, don't look at this as reason to grow silent. In fact, use this as a reason to get louder. We want to see our boy come back? Fight. Keep fighting. Don't give up. I know it sounds tempting to, trust me, I do, but this is just another sign to me that we need to be even louder for Nintendo and Square to understand how much our boy means to us.

****ing this. Some people definitely have the idea that if Nintendo was going to do something Geno related it doesn’t matter if we make noise about it or not because they’ve already seen the demand for him over the years. But that’s bull****. We need to be visible and vocal and make it known that people really want to see Geno again be it in Smash or elsewhere. People need to be respectful if not a little creative with how exactly we’re showing support to stand out from the crowd, but it’s something that can definitely be done.

But for now. Go out and impress all your friends with your newly acquired knowledge of the European Starling.
I literally told the Shakespeare anecdote that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice shared to my girlfriend while we were waiting to be seated at a restaurant today lmao

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm not about to let myself get hopeful just yet, as I'd pretty much accepted that Geno's not coming in my mind, but I can't deny the intrigue over this. I've been wracking my brain with figuring out how this could feasibly connect to anything else given the timing. I've just come up with empty leads. Granted, the hints for Banjo and Kazooie were right there, and I'd been flat-out told that they were happening for sure... and I still wasn't getting my hopes up. I'm ridiculously jaded, but it's been a good cushion in case of disappointment.

Today's a great day, though, starling stuff or not! Operation Starfall's site is up and ready, and we're gonna be doing some neat stuff with the project!!
I wouldn't really say that there were a ton of hints specifically for Banjo Kazooie in the lead-up to his reveal though. The "hints" were extremely notable events like Microsoft working with Nintendo more and more in addition to more Banjo Kazooie merchandise. Those read as less hints and more just demonstrable facts that worked in favor of a Banjo Kazooie return. Geno's, unfortunately, have always been much more of the reference nature than they have been of implicating him in any future. Banjo Kazooie was an IP that Microsoft at least wanted to push nostalgia wise even if they didn't do anything significant with the IP. Geno just doesn't have anything remotely close to a "Cuphead on Switch" moment right now.

I'm not surprised by this. The other hints have been extremely specific in what they've referenced, having to do the starling connection was always a bit too far of a stretch in comparison for this to be as significant.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said earlier, he has a tendency to drop bombshells and just sort of YEET himself out of existence. I think the longest spell that he flat out didn't comment on anything was like a week and a half. The fact that he hasn't disclosed anything to even Sabi is really telling in my opinion. Either he's hard commited to an enormous troll or he knows something that he wants absolutely none of us to directly know.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, until the birds migrate for the Winter and we know what happens after the pass deal ends, is anyone here looking forward to Krazy potentially getting to do his Banjo-related dream?

Atta girl. :smash:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, it's for the best. I was starting to think Bird/House meant Edelgard was in.
That’s becoming my overall feeling because if you look at the Banjo hints it was pretty much, “Witch - Puzzle” & “Bear - Bird,” so I’m thinking that the species of the bird might not be what’s hinted here.

It’s funny how all of these hints coincided with the launch of Operation Starfall. We’ve revved up the analysis machine over the last couple days, generating a lot of energy and excitement with it. Perhaps it’s time to transfer that passion into momentum for Operation Starfall. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s planned for the near future!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was starting to think Bird/House meant Edelgard was in.
That’s becoming my overall feeling because if you look at the Banjo hints it was pretty much, “Witch - Puzzle” & “Bear - Bird,” so I’m thinking that the species of the bird might not be what’s hinted here.
I'd be fine with that, given how people assume, according to their crystal 8-balls, that the pass wouldn't have a single first-party in it.

andree123

Smash Ace
Since that starling pic tease doesn't make sense at all, I guess that I'm going with Jon's otters hinting at new directs.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Like I said earlier, he has a tendency to drop bombshells and just sort of YEET himself out of existence. I think the longest spell that he flat out didn't comment on anything was like a week and a half. The fact that he hasn't disclosed anything to even Sabi is really telling in my opinion. Either he's hard commited to an enormous troll or he knows something that he wants absolutely none of us to directly know.
That makes sense to me. I think the photo does mean something, especially with the timing of Jon’s tweets. Did any of the source’s photo hints come to fruition months later or were they mostly in advance of a Direct or other imminent reveal? If it is referencing Geno, I still feel like his reveal would be at least a month or more away, considering the timing of the August direct last year following Ridley at E3. Jon tweeted earlier that he’s not expecting Hero until August or September, so the prior otter tweets might be referencing Fire Emblem or something else entirely.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Here's my take on the European Starling image. Taking the word starling itself, and thinking about it in the same way as earthling, starling could be used to refer to one of the ethereal beings (the Wish Stars) that inhabit Star Hill (where Geno originally comes from). The bird being on a roof can be seen as a symbolic image of the starling descending onto a house and, of course, in SMRPG Geno (in their true form) descends into Gaz's house and hence possesses the doll which characterizes them. Also, I believe someone earlier looked up the meaning or symbolism of the European Starling, and said symbolism matched with Geno's introduction to Mario by them saying that they were a messenger that served a higher purpose.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

Man, I wish that I could put up a big giant flashing sign on this thread that says exactly this. If people don't think that their voice matters, think about the countless examples in Smash already. Ridley was too big. K.Rool was irrelevant to the DK franchise. Banjo-Kazooie, does it even need to be said? They hadn't had a game in over 10 years and still were celebrated probably the most out of any Smash newcomer in recent history. What do all of them have in common? They had fans who kept pushing no matter the odds that their character faced.

Keep in mind that Nintendo made the DLC selection. We feared that we would only get promotional picks, but I didn't see any new Banjo game getting announced at E3 this year. I think that this is telling and that Nintendo knows what the fans are clamoring for, and that's Geno. Even if this particular rumor doesn't pan out, the fact that Geno, a secondary character from an over 20 year old game, has been in the rumor mill at all is a testament to how important fan demand really is.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That makes sense to me. I think the photo does mean something, especially with the timing of Jon’s tweets. Did any of the source’s photo hints come to fruition months later or were they mostly in advance of a Direct or other imminent reveal? If it is referencing Geno, I still feel like his reveal would be at least a month or more away, considering the timing of the August direct last year following Ridley at E3. Jon tweeted earlier that he’s not expecting Hero until August or September, so the prior otter tweets might be referencing Fire Emblem or something else entirely.
It has varied, ranging from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Seems like most of the past hints have been about a week and a half off until they came to fruition.

Add in: Looking back on Sabi's Twitter, apparently she originally thought her source was trolling her with the Banjo Kazooie hints and that they didn't mean anything.

https://mobile.twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1138505550612668416

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom