• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hopefully, it is. There isn't really anything very appealing about it. Though, Duck Hunt Dog makes me smile. I've never supported the character, but it is nice to see an old character return.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
There's a lot of inconsistencies.. so don't get too obsessed with it. We will see in the upcoming month if it's true through pics and whatever last minute trailer they have.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Hey, guys! DLC video for SMASH 4:http://youtu.be/SRbZU3f7W9w P.S: I'll discuss about 3rd party characters I want for SMASH 4 later and see ya to let me know about it, soon, OK?/! This is too much to talk about!
Like I said before, This is too much to talk about, but about 3rd party characters I personally & actually want to see are Shantae,Risky Boots,Izuna The Unemployed Ninja with her two sisters: Shino & Shizune, Geno from Mario RPG, which is what,we are keep representing here, Goemon: The Mystical Ninja, debut Ninten from EarthBound Zero, Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends with you series, debut Manic & Sonia The Hedgehogs from Sonic Underground series, Mewtwo from Pokemon series and finally The lovely Bayonetta! P.S: Rules for third party characters to be in Super Smash Bros. 1.) Must have originated from a video game. 2.) Must have appeared on any Nintendo systems. Well, I've got this from this video about The Big real deal of 3rd party characters to be confirmed in SMASH 4 rosters:http://youtu.be/osNj3H3lQyU

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Pretty sure there is 6 open spots for more characters on that leaked roster.

Still a small thread of hope if those images are indeed real.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Pretty sure there is 6 open spots for more characters on that leaked roster.

Still a small thread of hope if those images are indeed real.
Yeah I thought that room was left for the supposed DLC characters, but apparently the leaker said that leaked roster wasn't the full roster. Dixie Kong, Ridley and Mewtwo were left to be unlocked, and then maybe more? But if he is ESRB I dunno how he'd know that

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, with the new music update, we see Yoko Shimomura listed with the artists. While credited for FF and Mario & Luigi RPG, she also worked heavily on SMRPG music. Like the Forest Maze song, for example. Here's hoping for some music at least from the game, if nothing else!

Last edited:

Toasterman247

Smash Cadet
NNID
Toasterman
So, with the new music update, we see Yoko Shimomura listed with the artists. While credited for FF and Mario & Luigi RPG, she also worked heavily on SMRPG music. Like the Forest Maze song, for example. Here's hoping for some music at least from the game, if nothing else!
Let's hope so! Even if SMRPG music doesn't get in, i'm hoping for some nice spin on the Mario & Luigi games music, I love that series to death.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i did spend 1 hour to make this :,)

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

i did spend 1 hour to make this :,)
Seriously, Geno needs to be confirmed in SMASH 4 as a DLC playable character and what we're doing is fandom support of Geno, just like how Megaman got confirmed in SMASH by with the power of L-O-V-E and supportives from fans worked so hard, but same thing we can do for Geno!^_^

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Hello, everyone! For whatever the reason, I feel the need to speak my mind in this thread, even if briefly and only once. Let me start off by saying that I fully support the inclusion of Geno in SSB4, preferably as a playable character. I know this time around, I've not been vocal about my support any, but back in the pre-Brawl era, I can assure you I had my own placement for Geno. The unfortunate truth is that Geno's popularity isn't nearly what it was pre-Brawl, and that can be detrimental to any character fans of want to be included. That being said, it's not as if the chance is 0%, so why not have at least some hope, right? As a character (as every supporter knows by now), Geno has been absent for quite some time (which is a shame in itself). . . The one fortunate thing that comes to mind for SSB4 (and more specifically, for Geno's inclusion) is that the roster was finalized a few years ago now, perhaps leaving a lingering thought or what-have-you in Sakurai's mind. If nothing else, even seeing an AT for the character, or having select music from the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars game (Beware the Forest Mushrooms knowingly being the ideal choice) would probably be great at this point. Perhaps DLC would be possible for Geno if SSB4 goes down that route, if his fandom and demand is vocal enough (and depending on how Nintendo / Sakurai wants to handle the DLC). Anyways, I'm just sort of hypothesizing at this point, maybe even being wishful. . . That being said, Geno does and always will have my support, whether it be for the SSB series, or for a return in the Mario RPG series (preferably an appearance that is relevant).
For anyone interested, the five characters I'd enjoy being revealed for SSB4 would, in no order, be:
- Shulk
- King K. Rool
- Mewtwo
- Geno
- Revamped Ganondorf and / or a new TLoZ character (lost my chance at Tingle and Ghirahim. . . Don't let me down, Sakurai!)

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
:link:
Hello, everyone! For whatever the reason, I feel the need to speak my mind in this thread, even if briefly and only once. Let me start off by saying that I fully support the inclusion of Geno in SSB4, preferably as a playable character. I know this time around, I've not been vocal about my support any, but back in the pre-Brawl era, I can assure you I had my own placement for Geno. The unfortunate truth is that Geno's popularity isn't nearly what it was pre-Brawl, and that can be detrimental to any character fans of want to be included. That being said, it's not as if the chance is 0%, so why not have at least some hope, right? As a character (as every supporter knows by now), Geno has been absent for quite some time (which is a shame in itself). . . The one fortunate thing that comes to mind for SSB4 (and more specifically, for Geno's inclusion) is that the roster was finalized a few years ago now, perhaps leaving a lingering thought or what-have-you in Sakurai's mind. If nothing else, even seeing an AT for the character, or having select music from the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars game (Beware the Forest Mushrooms knowingly being the ideal choice) would probably be great at this point. Perhaps DLC would be possible for Geno if SSB4 goes down that route, if his fandom and demand is vocal enough (and depending on how Nintendo / Sakurai wants to handle the DLC). Anyways, I'm just sort of hypothesizing at this point, maybe even being wishful. . . That being said, Geno does and always will have my support, whether it be for the SSB series, or for a return in the Mario RPG series (preferably an appearance that is relevant).
For anyone interested, the five characters I'd enjoy being revealed for SSB4 would, in no order, be:
- Shulk
- King K. Rool
- Mewtwo
- Geno
- Revamped Ganondorf and / or a new TLoZ character (lost my chance at Tingle and Ghirahim. . . Don't let me down, Sakurai!)
Put your happy smiles for Geno in SMASH 4 3DS/Wii U versions:http://youtu.be/5aFxrmlTnNc and there's always hope too:http://youtu.be/9y7dnaFAKEE! P.S: Never give up on our hopes for Geno in SMASH 4 as a playable character & good-luck to watch this:http://youtu.be/5VvqbFbbHKQ to burn this into our brains deeper than we've original thought!

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, my buddy and I set up a youtube channel a few weeks ago... doing all kinds of **** irrelevant ****.

But we just did a podcast on potential characters... It was a spontaneous thought and a bit random, plus it's our first podcast ever. I think we were a bit nervous throughout the discussion. But we talk about Geno in the 2nd part :) Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iR1ofG9V0Q

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Interesting to see all this discussion about Geno! I love the character and could die happy if he made it into Smash 4, though there's a big pain point that worries me (and maybe it's already been addressed buried somewhere within 44 pages of thread!)

Assuming Square still has Geno's rights, let's say Nintendo and SquareEnix do go into a third-party agreement for a Smash character. Who's more likely to get in; A once-used, barely-remembered character with a cult following in their mid-late 20's+, or any one of a dozen Squaresoft characters who have appeared in numerous releases, boast gigantic fanbases, have already appeared in crossover games (Kingdom Hearts), and some of whom are in high enough demand to warrant a movie be made about them (the entire FF7 cast)? Ultimately, it's going to go to who's worth the most profit (after all, it costs money to get that third-party licensing), and I think it's pretty clear what'll happen there.

Unless Nintendo did buy the rights of the character, I can't help but feel like Geno's inclusion would be a miracle and an act of charity. Given the opportunity, someone like Cloud would be more likely to get in (Not that I'm a Cloud supporter, we already have enough swords... just talking business sense here).

Honestly, I'm looking forward to reasons why I'm off base. Geno would be an amazing addition... but business is business :/

Last edited:

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Unless Nintendo did buy the rights of the character, I can't help but feel like Geno's inclusion would be a miracle and an act of charity. Given the opportunity, someone like Cloud would be more likely to get in (Not that I'm a Cloud supporter, we already have enough swords... just talking business sense here).:/
Just as an FYI cloud would never make it in Smash. He was the main character in the game that broke the bond between Square and Nintendo for the longest time.

That being said with Yoko Shimomura making music for smash 4 my hopes for Geno rose a little bit.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It's just a shame that people are making some pretty wild assumptions based on the composer list, as if Sakurai would simply give out hints like that.

I mean, I've shown my support for Geno on this very topic, but it's not just Geno I've seen this for.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
It's just a shame that people are making some pretty wild assumptions based on the composer list, as if Sakurai would simply give out hints like that.

I mean, I've shown my support for Geno on this very topic, but it's not just Geno I've seen this for.
Yeah, I don't think the Chrono Trigger composer means Chrono has a chance per se. And we've seen a lot of things hint to Shulk, the writer of Xenoblades retweeting Sakurai's tweet about the next newcomer before the Robin reveal, Xenoblades composer on board, etc. Watch Shulk not show up lol

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Just as an FYI cloud would never make it in Smash. He was the main character in the game that broke the bond between Square and Nintendo for the longest time.

That being said with Yoko Shimomura making music for smash 4 my hopes for Geno rose a little bit.
What exactly happened between Square and Nintendo? I tried looking this up but can't find any details about it.

There was actually an entire second half to my post pointing out how Square hasn't released anything serious on a Nintendo console (not counting FF re-releases, Chocobo Dice, and Fortune Street... though that last one is notable for being a Squinex/Ninty crossover) until Bravely Default. I ended up scrapping it because I couldn't find any hard evidence to back it up.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Square initially built FF7 for a nintendo console and due to some limitations with N64 cartridges and Super Nintendo Cartridges, they jumped ships to Sony.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
What exactly happened between Square and Nintendo? I tried looking this up but can't find any details about it.

There was actually an entire second half to my post pointing out how Square hasn't released anything serious on a Nintendo console (not counting FF re-releases, Chocobo Dice, and Fortune Street... though that last one is notable for being a Squinex/Ninty crossover) until Bravely Default. I ended up scrapping it because I couldn't find any hard evidence to back it up.
Square and Nintendo's bond seemed unbreakable until 1996, when Square revealed (in an announcement that stunned the industry) that it would cease all Nintendo projects and thereafter publish games exclusively on the Sony PlayStation, a CD-ROM based game system. With the massive data storage space of a CD-ROM drive, which Nintendo's new Nintendo 64 hardware lacked, Sakaguchi was able to bring FMV (full-motion video), or fully animated movie sequences, to his games. He explained that the shift was made entirely because the CD-ROM format "allowed for more artistic freedom." It appeared to be the right choice. Final Fantasy VII, was the RPG that single-handedly moved RPGs from "niche" to "mainstream" in the US by offering a 3D, computer-animated experience that appealed to America's desire for impressive graphics while retaining the RPG game play; in fact, it sold more copies in the United States than in Japan.

It is important to remember that Square had its choice of CD-ROM based hardware to program for. In 1995, the PlayStation and the Sega Saturn were locked in a dead heat for units sold in Japan, each with about 2.5 million units sold. Before the announcement of Final Fantasy VII, it seemed as if the Sega Saturn would be the victor; it had the immensely popular Virtua Fighter software. But after the announcement of Final Fantasy VII, the PlayStation began a meteoric rise. Within a few years, Sony's sales in Japan had grown to 17.4 million units compared to Sega's 5.7 million units.

Square's move to CD-ROM development was not singular among software publishers. In fact, every other formerly Nintendo-loyal publisher made the shift. The difference was that Square announced that it would not support Nintendo's systems, neither the Nintendo 64 nor the portable Game Boy line, whereas other major publishers like Konami, Capcom, and Enix only transfered the majority of their efforts to Sony's and Sega's systems while still supporting Nintendo.

To take Enix as a specific example, the company announced that Dragon Quest VII would appear on the PlayStation. But it continued to support the Nintendo 64 with the occasional title. One early effort, Mischief Makers, was published by Nintendo in the US and, perhaps more importantly, remade its earlier Dragon Quest games for Nintendo's portable Game Boy Color system, the first version of the handheld to have a full-color screen. Enix's Dragon Quest Monster titles, patterned after Nintendo's wildly successful Pokemon games, were particularly hot sellers.

By Square's own admission, the bridge between Square and Nintendo was not, as many speculated, burned because Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi felt like a jilted bride. In a 2001 interview with the Nikkei business newspaper, Square president Nao Suzuki took all the blame, not merely for leaving Nintendo but for convincing other publishers to go with them:

"Our true enemy," he admitted, "was our pride". This was pride that resulted from the heady years of the original PlayStation. When Square originally announced back in 1997 that the Final Fantasy series would be PlayStation exclusive from now on, Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi treated the affront lightly, saying that the console selection "couldn't be helped." Suzuki responded by publicly bashing the N64 and convincing Enix to join the PS camp along with them, which, looking back at it now, he realizes wasn't an incredibly smart move. The little grudge match between them that resulted was the main reason Square failed in their bid for a Nintendo license earlier this year.
http://www.egameaddiction.com/forums/index.php?topic=805.0

Now on to SMRPG2. A Sequel to Mario RPG was in development and all the characters from the first game was going to return. Until Square disallowed any sequels to Mario RPG to be made!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
If Square is not going to do anything with the character they should at least make him an Official Character in the Final Fantasy Series come on how cool would it be to have Geno in FF15 have you guys seen the new look they gave Batman?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
If Square is not going to do anything with the character they should at least make him an Official Character in the Final Fantasy Series come on how cool would it be to have Geno in FF15 have you guys seen the new look they gave Batman?
Or Geno popping up in KH3, now that'd be rad.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't think the Chrono Trigger composer means Chrono has a chance per se. And we've seen a lot of things hint to Shulk, the writer of Xenoblades retweeting Sakurai's tweet about the next newcomer before the Robin reveal, Xenoblades composer on board, etc. Watch Shulk not show up lol
Oh, how I wish to see Crono return to gaming. I never played Chrono Cross, so I'm not sure the story behind it with Crono, but, man, how I wish I could see Crono and Geno return. How my SNES childhood would erupt with cheers...

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Pretty much.... Time to start giving up on Geno again.

Also just for next time, I think we're barking up the wrong tree.
Really the only way he's getting in is if they make SMRPG2 before the next smash bros.

Need to start demanding another SMRPG before expecting Sakurai to add a 20+ year old 3rd party character who was only in one game......
Being highly demanded is clearly not enough.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Pretty much.... Time to start giving up on Geno again.

Also just for next time, I think we're barking up the wrong tree.
Really the only way he's getting in is if they make SMRPG2 before the next smash bros.

Need to start demanding another SMRPG before expecting Sakurai to add a 20+ year old 3rd party character who was only in one game......
Being highly demanded is clearly not enough.
Smrpg2 is Mario paper and there is 0.1% chance of getting smrpg2 but we could get a 3d remake of smrpg and it doesn't matter how old is geno or how many games did he appeared the most important thing is that he is the only 3rd party charcter that history is ONLY with Nintendo

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah. Honestly, I wouldn't have been as upset since the roster still isn't finalized from the leak. But, with Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario being characters, I just can't see Geno making it with them in as well.

Top Bottom