• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General RPG Discussion

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
rpg's in my eyes the most hardcore games out their and in this thread you can talk about them from pokemon to final fantasy from chrono trigger to phantasy star from evolution worlds to world of warcraft give out tips tricks reviews or simply discuss

Gates

Banned via Warnings
They made Elder Scrolls V. It was called Fallout 3.

Obvious joke.

But seriously, I haven't played the Elder Scrolls games, but I have played Fallout 3 and I liked it. I was doing a Fist of the North Star run (fists/melee weapons only).

finalark

SNORLAX
So once I inevitably hit 85 on both my Alliance and Horde characters and then get board in Cataclysm I think I'm going to switch back to LOTRO and DDO. Anyone else play either one of those?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Every E3 I wait for an annoucement about Elder Scrolls 5 :(

finalark

SNORLAX
So am I the only one who's pretty interested in Guild Wars 2?

It looks like they're genuinely putting a ton of effort into the game rather than just making a WoW clone and calling it a day.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XI was pretty decent.

XIV was ****ing terrible.
=p I played XI for 954days or so (was my playtime), had 8 jobs 75(cap back then), and loads of armors. Owned sky dyna and sea :D. It was decent, but only if you had no social life what so ever. Now that I looked back on it, it kinda blew. And now it's so lulzy.

And xiv... hahhhaaaa

Wrath`

Smash Master
Going through DQVIII again after some time, I hate the power spike that monsters in get even when you keep your levels decently high.

finalark

SNORLAX
Going through DQVIII again after some time, I hate the power spike that monsters in get even when you keep your levels decently high.
I could never get into DQVIII. I really wanted to like the game but given that I had to grind my balls off in order to even stand a chance against the baddies in the first dungeon was kind of discouraging.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I could never get into DQVIII. I really wanted to like the game but given that I had to grind my balls off in order to even stand a chance against the baddies in the first dungeon was kind of discouraging.
You start off at lv one, the recommended level to beat the first boss is lv eight:c:c:c.

Eh I actually enjoy grinding some days, but it does get annoying fast on those days you don't want to grind

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You start off at lv one, the recommended level to beat the first boss is lv eight:c:c:c.
That's no worse than FFI.

Besides, games like that mean you actually have to use strategy instead of just mindlessly grinding, which is a good thing.

Wrath`

Smash Master
That's no worse than FFI.

Besides, games like that mean you actually have to use strategy instead of just mindlessly grinding, which is a good thing.
Not if with Two Defensive spell boosts/the best armor you can get at that pint in the game and selecting "Defend" you are still taking 1/5 to 1/4 of you max HP as damage.

Or running into 6 of faster monster A that uses Group attack B that does a guaranteed high damage out put encounters you. and it only take 4 of them to KO' your party.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Not if with Two Defensive spell boosts/the best armor you can get at that pint in the game and selecting "Defend" you are still taking 1/5 to 1/4 of you max HP as damage.

Or running into 6 of faster monster A that uses Group attack B that does a guaranteed high damage out put encounters you. and it only take 4 of them to KO' your party.
You've never played Persona 3 or 4 have you?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
I'm a pretty big fan of RPGs. My personal favourites are TWEWY, Persona 3 + 4, Mother 3, and Chrono Trigger.

Oh and Wrath, the Persona games are great, but if you don't like anime stylized games, you might be turned off by it.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
No, I have not, is it good? Or will I break some controllers?
P3 and 4 are probably some of the better JRPG's to come out in recent years. If you like JRPG's in general I recommend trying them out. The high school simulation seems awkward at first but it actually adds to a lot of the games charm.

As for the difficulty of the game it can be rather frustrating at times when random criticals wipe out 3/4 of your team or your MC gets insta killed.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite RPG of all time.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
=p I played XI for 954days or so (was my playtime), had 8 jobs 75(cap back then), and loads of armors. Owned sky dyna and sea :D. It was decent, but only if you had no social life what so ever. Now that I looked back on it, it kinda blew. And now it's so lulzy.

And xiv... hahhhaaaa
Please tell me that playtime is an exaggeration...

...?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite RPG of all time.
Mine too. The game doesn't get old for me, and I love playing it every year or so.

I don't play any Western RPGs, just mostly JRPGs. I don't play MMOs either.
RPG series that I like are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales of, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, and some others.

Some RPGs that I own but need to beat are the first two Grandia games. I'll get to those eventually.

As for the topic on grinding, you don't need to grind much in DQ as you would think.
Just play smart and make sure you get in a decent amount of battles.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Funny, I hated the dual mode in TWEWY.
Meanwhile, I button mashed the top and focused on Neku, somehow got through the game.

I have lots of mixed emotions about grinding so yeah...

Chrono Trigger and Wild Arms were pretty fun.

§leepy God

Smash Master
With so many epic RPG titles out, is there a such thing as the best RPG? xD

My most favorite type of RPG is Tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, and Advance Wars. Action RPGs is also my favorite type.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
FF1 on NES isn't hard, it's broken.

I'm getting Star ocean 4 very soon :D

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Advance Wars is a strategy game, not an RPG.

I love it, but it's not an RPG.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Funny, I hated the dual mode in TWEWY.
Meanwhile, I button mashed the top and focused on Neku, somehow got through the game.

I have lots of mixed emotions about grinding so yeah...

Chrono Trigger and Wild Arms were pretty fun.

I know what you mean, but when I first played TWEWY it was at a time where I'd started to get flaked out and "ugh" on RPGs because nothing felt the "Same" as it did during the PS1/PS2 days, and then I found it and it was just so fresh that I thought the game was awesome. A similar thing happened kinda when I first played Suikoden V because I'd been losing faith in the Suikoden series and yearning for a Suiko 2 level game, and then V came along and bam, had my faith restored.

Also, Wild ARMs 1 has a lot of sentimental value for me as it was the first ever PSX game I played when I bought a Playstation in mid 99. I still have the original game that I had then now.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I never considered fire emblem to be an rpg, but a strat game. I guess Strategy rpg fits, though.

lol I wish someone would start jrpg vs wrpg debate, because as much as I love jrpgs, wrpgs > jrpgs this generation. Square Enix has been such a letdown this generation >.>

finalark

SNORLAX
lol I wish someone would start jrpg vs wrpg debate, because as much as I love jrpgs, wrpgs > jrpgs this generation. Square Enix has been such a letdown this generation >.>
Okay.

Mass Effect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any recent JRPG.

In my opinion.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Waitwaitwait, we're considering MASS EFFECT an RPG? I've always considered it, y'know, a shooter. Hell, I don't even consider ZELDA games to be RPGs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ what I said? The only good jrpg this generation is star ocean 4 (from what I've read), and Dragon Age probably beats it, then you have all the other wrpgs that are good too.

:3

finalark

SNORLAX
Waitwaitwait, we're considering MASS EFFECT an RPG? I've always considered it, y'know, a shooter. Hell, I don't even consider ZELDA games to be RPGs.
Because it's combat involves shooting?

That's like saying that Warcraft III is a dungeon crawler because it has a few dungeon-crawlish missions here and there.

Pick up a DnD book then play Mass Effect, it's an RPG.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Square Enix has been such a letdown this generation >.>
Remember everyone, Square Enix makes every JRPG ever. Atlus? Nippon Ichi? Mistwalker? Lavel 5? Namco Bandai? Sega? These companies do not exist. They are merely holding companies for the giant that is Square Enix.

Seriously, this kind of thinking is incredibly ignorant. Just because Square made a bad game doesn't mean that all JRPGs of that generation are terrible. That's like saying "Well, Activision really ****ed up Call of Duty 9000, I guess EVERY FPS THIS GENERATION IS ABSOLUTE CRAP, TIME TO PLAY 6 MORE YEARS OF COUNTERSTRIKE" and ignoring great FPS games like Team Fortress 2, Bioshock, Killzone 2 and 3, and Halo 3 and Reach. It's extremely narrow minded and just downright ignorant.

Mass Effect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any recent JRPG.
I'm sorry, but when I think about Mass Defect 1, all I can remember are the ****ing terrible controls on the Mako and how it was so damn hard to drive it made me want to traverse the big-*** landscape on foot, even though it would take me about 10 hours to get from one point to the next. I ****ing hated that pathetic excuse for a vehicle and it's what ruined the game for me.

Of course, I have a tendency to blow certain aspects of a game out of proportion and let it ruin the game for me. I stopped playing God of War because the platforming was so bad. But still.

They removed it for Mass Effect 2 though, so if you were to say that Mass Effect 2 is the best RPG of this generation you'd be more accurate. Not Mass Effect 1 though, that was a pile of ****.

Mass Effect is a game where you have a party that you walk around with, you complete various quests to level up, your squad learns abilitys through experience, and it's a story-driven game. The combat is like a 3PS but that's as far as the shooter elements go. Borderlands is considered an RPG too, just so you know.

Zelda isn't an RPG though. It's definitely an adventure game. The difference is that in RPGs you can just gain experience to get more health, defense, offense, etc. whereas in an adventure game you have to find it yourself (collecting hear pieces, doing quests for a bigger bomb bag or better sheild, finding stuff in dungeons, etc.). Zelda II has RPG elements* though, but that game sucks.

* http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RPGElements

^ what I said? The only good jrpg this generation is star ocean 4 (from what I've read)
Hold on, let me check Metacritic.

List of JRPGs released since 1/1/2007 by Metascore (not including remakes, Nintendo published games, and portable games with Metascore < 85)
(Non-Square in italics.)

Persona 4 - 90
Demon's Souls - 89
Persona 3: FES - 89

The World Ends With You - 88
Dragon Quest IX - 87
Valkyria Chronicles - 86
Persona 3 - 86
Monster Hunter Tri - 84

Final Fantasy XIII - 83/82 (different scores for each console, wtf)
Eternal Sonata - 80/79 (again, different scores for each console)
Tales of Vesperia - 79
Blue Dragon - 79
Lost Odyssey - 78
Resonance of Fate - 74/72 (seriously, can we get some consistency up in this *****)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Star Ocean 4) - 74/72

THE ONLY GOOD JRPG THIS GENERATION INDEED.

Maybe before you make statements like that you should actually find out if it is good.

But seriously, there are good JRPGs this generation, it just happens that those are either niche (read: anime otaku) or marketed poorly (read: nobody buys them outside of Japan so the publishers don't work as hard on the next in the series and the quality keeps going down and down or the series goes to PSP), and the ones with good marketing (read: brand recognition) and marketed well (read: made by Square) have a ton of other faults. Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 2, Oblivion, Borderlands, and Fallout 3 (but not New Vegas because that's a glitchy mess) are all great games this generation and I love them. But it irritates me a lot when people say things like "JRPGs are dead". They're not dead, you're just not willing to try things other than Final Fantasy.

So I'd like to end my argument with this image, which sums up what I think of JRPGs and WRPGs.

They're both awesome.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm sorry, but when I think about Mass Defect 1, all I can remember are the ****ing terrible controls on the Mako and how it was so damn hard to drive it made me want to traverse the big-*** landscape on foot, even though it would take me about 10 hours to get from one point to the next. I ****ing hated that pathetic excuse for a vehicle and it's what ruined the game for me.

Of course, I have a tendency to blow certain aspects of a game out of proportion and let it ruin the game for me. I stopped playing God of War because the platforming was so bad. But still.

They removed it for Mass Effect 2 though, so if you were to say that Mass Effect 2 is the best RPG of this generation you'd be more accurate. Not Mass Effect 1 though, that was a pile of ****.
So all of the great character comtomization, story, missions and combat are automatically **** because the Mako sucked (which I do agree with)?

I believe we call this "nitpicking." But I will admit that ME2 was a billion times better than ME1.

So I'd like to end my argument with this image, which sums up what I think of JRPGs and WRPGs.

They're both awesome.
I second this.

Although that picture would be more accurate if for WRPGs you had a generic looking Knight guy while for JRPGs you had some feminine man claiming that he he's in his early twenties despite not looking/acting anywhere past the age of 14.

Top Bottom