• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Resident Evil Thread

DaleLT

Smash Rookie
(I didn't see one on the search so if one's been made before, I'm sorry.)

Anyway, even though it's been a bit contradictory of late I was wondering if there are any other Resi fans here. Been a fan of it since it first came out which was when I was about 2 I think (I started early)

So what do you all think about the series and where it's heading?
Favourite Resi game?
Favourite Character?
etc. Feel free to discuss anything Resident Evil related :)

Also, opinions on the upcoming Resi 6 and rumours about Downfall for the 3DS which is said to have Claire as the main character? (Refer to sig for loves)

Kal

Smash Champion
Favorite Resident Evil game is probably Resident Evil 2. But all of them, with the exception of 5, are pretty awesome.

My favorite character is probably Rebecca Chambers. It's hard to make a game a survival horror when your character has basketball shoulders, and Rebecca is a healthy balance between "being competent" and "being susceptible to death." Pretty sure if the Ganado who shot Mike's helicopter in RE4 had pointed the sucker at Leon, Leon would have kicked the rocket back at him. >_>

I'm super excited about RE6. Plot-wise, I would not be surprised if it were a complete ****ing disaster, like RE5. But gameplay-wise, it looks to be superior to just about every Resident Evil game, and it appears to actually return to being a survival horror, and not just an action third-person shooter (like RE4 and RE5). I'm a little disappointed with the PC version coming later, and am not sure I will even get the PC version (since the PC versions of RE4 and RE5 got shafted pretty hard), but I'm pretty excited for this game.

DaleLT

Smash Rookie
RE2 is my favourite was aswell :)

I really hated RE5's storyline it was just terrible! I guess I can't say that it was all bad as I did enjoy the multiplayer features and have spent days on them. At the same time it shouldn't have to make up for it though. I think Revelations had a good storyline and good gameplay, so it can be done.

With the storyline for 6, it could potentially be really good or just suck depending on whether the new female villain is Ada or this rumoured clone Carla. Either way I think they need to end one of the major characters here, but not like how they did with Wesker (Rocket launcher to the face, seriously???) hopefully it'll be Chris because I'm getting sick of the sight of him

Kal

Smash Champion
Wesker ended in a blaze of failure. They tried to lampshade this by having Chris point out that he had turned into a comic book villain, which just made it worse.

I hate Chris as well. I hope he dies. I hope Leon ends him, and we start getting the real characters in on sequels. That would be:

Barry Burton
Rebecca Chambers
Billy Coen
Jill Valentine
Claire Redfield

**** Chris. Leon's nothing to get worked up over, either. At least Hannigan is going to be in RE6.

DaleLT

Smash Rookie
Agreed, There's been hints that Rebecca could return, according to Capcom she's the most anticipated character to return after Claire, this was said before Degeneration too. So maybe she'll be in Damnation seen as though there has been very little revealed about it. Plus the fact that her and Barry have been in RE5 and Mercs 3D should imply them returning, not too sure about Billy.

Also I mentioned earlier about the RE: Downfall rumour, having Claire as the main character, not much information has been found by it yet though. However with how the RE6 rumour turning out to be true, I don't see why this one wouldn't be.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/346828/new-resident-evil-downfall-title-coming-to-3ds-report/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I like Resident Evil, but don't get me started on 5. The fact that about halfway through the game your main cause of death from ZOMBIES was being GUNNED DOWN BY THEM. I play a Resident Evil game to feel survival horror, not to get into a gun battle with the undead that decide they can suddenly wield shotguns, AK-47s, Gatling Guns, throw Molotovs, and shoot from Turrets and Missiles.

The absolute BIGGEST crime in Resident Evil 5? When you kill Wesker. Not that Wesker dies, not that Wesker has to be blown up by 2 Rockets in lava, but that is Chris and Sheva that do it. Not Jill, SHEVA. FREAKING SHEVA. I mean really, ANYBODY who followed the series at all would know that it would make so much sense for it to be Chris and JILL that kill Wesker since for over ELEVEN YEARS it had been leading up to that and they were the very first to start it (and BOTH of them were IN THE GAME). Yet, they choose to say "screw you guys" and have some random NOBODY take part in killing him. The equivalent of that is having Tingle show up and magically be the one to kill Ganondorf, Toad defeat Bowser, or Udina take down Sovereign single handily. It just felt WRONG and I felt so robbed by that that I'm amazed more people aren't sickened by it.

*end rant*

Kal

Smash Champion
Thanks for punching a boulder Chris. Thanks for going from "I want that extra dollar" to "I want to change the world," Wesker. And thanks for tagging along, Sheva!

**** RE5.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
sooooo who's hyped for RE6??

<----- this guy is

played the demo, and was sad the gameplay (at least for chris and weskers son) was more shooting instead of survival horror, but hopefuly thats not representative of the whole game. Eitherway im still hyped, favorite video game series behind Metal Gear Solid.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

<----- this guy is

played the demo, and was sad the gameplay (at least for chris and weskers son) was more shooting instead of survival horror, but hopefuly thats not representative of the whole game. Eitherway im still hyped, favorite video game series behind Metal Gear Solid.

Wesker has a kid? Say what? Is he all matrix-y too?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233

<----- this guy is

I played the demo too, it was so weird, since everything got revamped. Sadly though, the game is now a TPS. That storyline better be good. Good news is that it is fun if you get a friend to play with you.

Oh, and live wire, Wesker Jr. isn't all matrix like. He does know his fair share of kung full though. =P

:phone:

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
anyone play it yet? I got it on my way to class but I wont be able to get back and play it till like midnight

curious to why the reviews for the game are so polarizing

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Speaking of RE, has anybody seen Retribution yet? I'm not going to spoil, but in one part they integrated one of my biggest RE5 complaints, lol.

D20

Smash Lord
I picked up RE6 this afternoon and will give it a play tonight. In all honesty, I'm expecting a game that's a step ahead of RE5 but two steps behind RE4. If it turns out to be awful, I'll still have the new Amnesia game to look forward to in the new year.

EDIT (with update): I played through the first few chapters of Leon's campaign... it's a mixed-bag so far. The game doesn't feel as polished as it should, the new controls take some getting used to (there is no option to use the RE5 controls), and the "action" is a little too much (and not terribly entertaining). That said, there have already been more "Resident Evil" moments than in all of RE5. Several of the sequences have been enjoyable and the visuals are pretty awesome. I'll just have to see how it pans out.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
The game is not so good imo. Better than 5, but not by nearly enough. Leon's scenario is by far the best because it plays to re's strengths. It feels way more thought out than the rest of the game. Capcom should narrow the focus and do what theyre good at instead of making a bland shooter in hopes of targeting a bigger audience. I sure do hope Jake dies by the end. I cant decide who I hate more out of him and sheva. It seems the newer characters annoy me more and more.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
only had a chance to play through the first chapter of leon

it was a bit tedious and i came out thinking "ok i killed alot of zombies, but i still dont know wtf is going on". I wish there was more plot development in the first chapter instead of just running and gunning. But from what the past posts have said it should get better so i wont let the first chapter turn me off.

Also was playing it co-op with a friend and it was alot of fun

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
only had a chance to play through the first chapter of leon

it was a bit tedious and i came out thinking "ok i killed alot of zombies, but i still dont know wtf is going on". I wish there was more plot development in the first chapter instead of just running and gunning. But from what the past posts have said it should get better so i wont let the first chapter turn me off.

Also was playing it co-op with a friend and it was alot of fun
At first I was kind of like "meh."

But then I played with hotarms and I was like "Yeah!"

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So I just finished Leon's story. Omg, this game is incredibly incredibly good. I kind of agree that the first chapter was slow but once you get into the swing of things it becomes insanely addictive. I loved the plot of what's going to happen but I won't spoil because it seems others are still near the beginning. This game easily is better than RE5 in my opinion and probably going to be that way forever even after 1 storyline of RE6.

Moving onto Chris' story now. I already hate Piers and I wanted my Jill. Oh well. After I beat through all the stories solo mode, I'll be looking for people to do some fun playthroughs with if anyone's interested for the PS3. :D

@Retribution: It was fun I guess? It had some fun moments in it but I really wasn't expecting it to be much and it was better than I thought. Pleasant surprise would be the best way to put it.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Leon's campaign was truly the highlight of the game. I loved the game as a whole despite my gripes with it. 2 and 4 still remain my favorites of the series though.

If there's anyone on ps3 that wants to do co-op or mercenaries I'm down :3 just send me your psn namessss!

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
to those who have played enough to be able to answer this

in which order should i play the campaigns?

is it bad to play the storylines simultaneously?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Definitely do Leon's First. You can probably do Chris' first and it'll make a bit of sense plus it's an easy transition from RE5 since Chris' story follows more of an RE5 gameplay anyways in terms of the enemies you have to fight.

I am on the final chapter of Chris' story and I am so upset that I am forcing myself to stop.

Leon's campaign so far was astounding. I cannot wait to get the Sherry's.

Oh, side-note, I absolutely hate Piers because he is just so annoying. I just continuously call him ***** boy whenever I need him to do something.

Also because of Chris' story, I am now so damn confused about Leon's story haha. No spoilers but those of you who have played to a point will get why I am confused.

My love for Ada has gotten to burn so much stronger now that I am finding myself just playing the game to see more of her. I absolutely love her in this installment.

@Chrismas: Definitely! :D Sounds like that would be fun.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So, question that hopefully I'll get a non-spoiler answer about. How is Jake in comparison to Sheva from RE5? Will he make me want to say "to hell with this crap" and just feel total disgust at and robbery from the game the way she did at RE5's end, or is he just mildly annoying sometimes?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Haha I think I liked Piers mainly because he kinda ***** slapped Chris around at certain parts and he's a sniper :p other than that I didn't get emotionally attached. Helena however! Oh LAWD I love her~ I really REALLY hope she's in another RE, along side Leon would be even better but if not, I'd still love to see her again. PLEASE CAPCOM DON'T FORGET HER LIKE YOU DO WITH SOME OF YOUR OTHER CAST =[ she basically jumped her way up to the top alongside Ada and Claire as my fav female.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
scumbag banjokazooiepro

"sorry hot_arms i dont feel like playing tonight"

plays with wingsofredemption 15 minute later

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So, question that hopefully I'll get a non-spoiler answer about. How is Jake in comparison to Sheva from RE5? Will he make me want to say "to hell with this crap" and just feel total disgust at and robbery from the game the way she did at RE5's end, or is he just mildly annoying sometimes?
Just watch the first scene of Jake/Sherry's story. That would give you a good feel of that character Jake is. He is a total badass and I love him already. The RE cast needed a character like him. He's not annoying yet at all.

!!! Agreed with you on Helena, Crismas. She is such an astounding character and at certain parts her character just made you want to cry. I feel she is so powerful and has a lot of potential to be such a good character. She doesn't top Ada or Rebecca but still, she is up there and probably tied with Claire.

Also finished Chris' story earlier. I take everything back I said about Piers. He is insanely cool and a man and just...wow. (I still think it's silly he has a scarf/ascot...)

Man, all these characters are really really good. Someone needs to talk to me about the game who has already passed certain parts. I have theories I need to discuss. xD

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Dependent on what you mean by back-up story. They are their own characters and have their own train of though/etc. but I haven't tried playing as an opposite character entirely through a game but I would imagine there would be little change except for you being put into different scenarios.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Probably gonna be a rental for me. Sometime next month, plan to activate a free month of Gamefly and check out this, Dishonored, and AC3.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Just watch the first scene of Jake/Sherry's story. That would give you a good feel of that character Jake is. He is a total badass and I love him already. The RE cast needed a character like him. He's not annoying yet at all.
I wasn't a fan of Jake actually haha, he annoyed me a ton. I really tried to like him too.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
scumbag banjokazooiepro

"sorry hot_arms i dont feel like playing tonight"

plays with wingsofredemption 15 minute later
Hahaha I didn't think he would invite me. I was actually about to turn off my xbox when I got the party invite and I was like meh, whatever.

He's a really chill guy when he's not playing CoD of course....but that goes for me as well. I wish he didn't have to play CoD to get views because he would be infinitely more entertaining.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I wasn't a fan of Jake actually haha, he annoyed me a ton. I really tried to like him too.
Really? How so, if I can ask? I am just starting Sherry/Jake's story so I don't know much but the first few cutscenes are pretty hilarious with Jake. He is smug, but I like that about him.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
His constant complaining and sayings just get on my nerves. Felt overall that the character wasn't fleshed out enough for me to like him (lacking some back story for someone who's Wesker son especially) and his character seemed really forced (pushing the tough guy thing) just mehhh. One scene in the end of the fourth chapter sealed the deal for me but I won't spoil anything. Again, just my opinion I don't hate him, just don't like him either. There's so many other characters in the series that did a better job of being awesome/badass/interesting especially new ones.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
just finished doing the first two chapters for each character, now Im at the point where the storylines are around the same time. Im thinking ill do the rest of leons all the way through first, then chris's, then jakes

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm enjoying the gameplay, but I have a lot of issues with the game itself (no past resident evil nostalgia). I'm only a few hours in, but I can say I'm not surprised by the mixed reviews it's gotten.

Kal

Smash Champion
All of the negative reviews seem overblown to me. Yeah, the game has problems, but it's a solid game. The overall narrative and plot is pretty ****ing awful, though.

Right now, I'm just trying to unlock the last Mercs character, which requires me to get an A with Ada. Which is hard because she's apparently a ****ty Mercs character.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I feel like this is the only place I can discuss this, the RE 6 trailer was just so awesome, but the game honestly... seems meh at best based on what I've heard.

Seriously, the music combined with the voiceover, and the visuals are mostly alright except for that last scene where the guy says "but she had fled", the image of the 2 clasped hands being pulled apart, jesus, it was beautiful.

Edit: Errr, I specifically mean the version used on internet commercials, the full version is a bit padded.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Please don't go by reviews (if you had been). Almost everyone I know who's played or owns it enjoyed it at the very least. At least rent/borrow it to give it a whirl and see how you feel.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You guys may find it fun, but I'm not really a fan of the series, I thought 4 was a great action game and that's pretty much it.

Mostly just wanted to talk about how beautiful the trailer was.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Games good, reviews were a bit overblown. Id agree with everyone that they seemed to put alot more effort in leons campaign. So glad they stopped doing the individual level ups and perks for each gun, i hated that lol

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
You guys may find it fun, but I'm not really a fan of the series, I thought 4 was a great action game and that's pretty much it.

Mostly just wanted to talk about how beautiful the trailer was.
-shrug- k then.

@Hot ArmS: I didn't mind leveling up the guns but it's mainly cause Merchant was the best to me. LOOOOOOOL [I'm weird].

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Welcomeeeeee

merchant was awesome, i guess my main dislike was using all my money to level up a shotgun then i find another shotgun whose base value is better than the leveled up shotgun, so really felt like a waste of money

Top Bottom