• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yeah, to me, it didn't feel entirely OUR CHOICE. It felt more like, we vote for these and the one that is more fit, will be chosen.

It was truly a SUGGESTION BOX more than anything.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
All in all, I cannot help but laugh at this whole experience.

More hours on this site than I spent playing Brawl.
More absurd speculation for the fun of it than I have had...since Brawl.
Characters that do not need to be justified because the only sole factor is Sakurai.

I've had a good time with all of this.
Corrin is ridiculous, and I love it. Its quite literally so infuriating that its hysterical. *This* did surprise me. And in a somewhat charming way.
I'm not ever going to have the roster I want. Brawl was damned close. This one...actually back tracked a good deal for me.
But, it doesnt matter. Its a game about mechanics, and that is why Ive always enjoyed playing Melee the most. (I recently picked it up again with friends in NYC, and damned, it was incredible. Such nostalgia with the roster, teaching one how to use advanced techniques a bit, even the unpolished charm). Melee is the best game in the series for me, and I couldn't admit that before Corrin's reveal.
Ultimately, I don't think Sakurai's intent was to utilize his initial concept, because he no longer needs to do so. In one of Source Gaming's articles, they go into a translation in which Sakurai only ever used the Nintendo IPs because he was afraid the fighting game wouldn't appeal to people on its own without recognizable IPs. Now that he knows it is successful- he doesn't need to give us characters we give a damn about. I do wish the mechanics were most fun, even casually, I think Melee is most fun. "Who cares about the characters," is something I can finally say.
I'm not sure why you weren't able to admit that before. It's pretty obvious that you could have all the characters you want, but if you don't enjoy the mechanics it won't do you any good. Thankfully I do enjoy Smash 4's gameplay and all of these characters are a great bonus for me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fire Emblem definitely needed the advertisement back in Melee and Brawl. Nowadays, not so much...

Corrin's still just a really bland looking character that could of been pretty much anybody else, in the sense that you could apply most of it to other characters. Moveset reminds me of those fan-made movesets that incorporates a bunch of signature abilities without making them actually work in Smash in an interesting way, like virtually every Shovel Knight moveset people came up with.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, to me, it didn't feel entirely OUR CHOICE. It felt more like, we vote for these and the one that is more fit, will be chosen.

I could see our suggestions holding more weight in the next entry of Smash just because the entire roster will take our votes into consideration as opposed to just one downloadable character. Or, perhaps they will just ignore the results! I am an adamant advocate of the developer making all of the essential decisions anyways as that usually results in the best game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know, at this point I'd really expect people to have confidence in Nintendo that any character they add is going to be great (they have all been so far), but I guess not. Just gotta whine and complain that your character wasn't in there.
You are whining about other people expressing emotions about their character not being included in a game which was originally including well-known IPs to generate excitement in a genre that was known to fail.

What does that say?

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
I don't understand this logic at all.
You start with a generalization about most people (which happens to directly contradict the people I spoke to when I was 11- when melee came out. It being the only characters unavailable in the West were really intriguing).
Additionally, they werent available outside of Japan before Melee!! Of course Melee paved the way for them, this is without question. Didnt Sakurai even confirm this, directly?
Like I said, Fire Emblem has much of it's success due to Advance Wars doing well. If not for that, the games wouldn't even be localized, which would keep even more people from knowing about the series and getting it exposure.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I sometimes do wonder. If I have played any FE games, Final Fantasy, or Bayonetta. Would my opinion and reaction for these last 3 DLC characters be different? I really don't know.
Well, yeah, characters you know are a hell of a lot more hype than those you don't. Granted I haven't played Final Fantasy or Bayonetta, but I did follow them enough to appreciate them and finding they have characters added into Smash is the hypest thing for me. Kamui is also pretty cool, cause I dunno, I like swords.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'm torn on the amount of Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4. On the one hand, several of them are all unique to each other, but on another hand, we do have a series that isn't quite popular compared to others and yet has 5-6 characters over other series that are far more popular and with less representation.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I could see our suggestions holding more weight in the next entry of Smash just because the entire roster will take our votes into consideration as opposed to just one downloadable character. Or, perhaps they will just ignore the results! I am an adamant advocate of the developer making all of the essential decisions anyways as that usually results in the best game.
It did seemed to me to be. But a part of me, like most of us anyway, didn't thought that was the case and were more 'hopeful' but from the looks of it, it wasn't a 'pleasant' end, but yeah.

If it makes for the better for the GAME, then I'm up for it, but when decisions are taken for preference on the director/co/workers than who at times is buying the product to make more of it, it can be kind of troublesome to handle for many.

I am fine since the content shown/chosen looks interesting to play with, but in the other hand, kind of stunning for it to end like this.

Hopefully next time, more choices that are varying from each other are used then.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
All in all, it's fine. My most wanted character already got into another fighting game as a playable character, so I'm still happy about that. I feel kind of sorry for King K. Rool fans who have spent years supporting their favorite character just to end up with a lousy costume, though. Sakurai must really hate Western franchises, huh?
Ridley says hey, K.Rool may be a costume but it's still not as bad as that horrendous stage hazard

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
Don't expect poll results, obvious cherrypicking took place. Ostensibly, Bayonetta trailed 4 other veterans or otherwise 'realizable' characters in North America, didn't even pretend Japan wanted her LOL. Mii costumes DEFINITELY took consolation prize. Sakurai DEFINITELY chose opportunistically. Corrin coincides with Fire Emblem Fate's release. Capcom conceded Ryu to hype up SFV. Square Enix conceded Cloud to hype up FF7 Remake. Bayonetta DEFINITELY resulted from Nintendo's S Support with Platinum on the Wii U. Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 exclusivity AND Platinum producing Star Fox Zero? Nintendo asked, "Hey Platinum, which character you want?" DEFINITELY understand Bayonetta over Wonder Red. About who wasn't picked... Golden Sun got blown tf back. Thing is though, Smashboard's favorite characters (K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, Bandana Dee) always have an open door. Personally hype for our DLC but DEFINITELY understand the salt. Can see Nintendo riding SSB4 for much much longer than the others with a GOTY edition for NX. There's DEFINITELY still hope though. Tatsumi Kimishima thinks business, no doubt recognizes SSB's value. How can you close out something that never ends?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I have to say that I think it's insulting to both Nintendo fans and FE fans that Fire Emblem has to come off as so weak that it relies on Smash Bros to coddle it for it to make it's sales, Fire Emblem is clearly Smash's special snowflake at this point and it does nothing but harm both series's reputations :/.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not gonna lie, I actually think that Corrin is an interessting character. In retrospect, if we didn't got Robin in this game his inclusion would be that much greater. But I always thought that Corrin would be a nice character for Smash ever since the first time of him being revealed, and reading up what his abilities are. I always thought he'd be a logical pick for Smash 5.

Am just mostly bothered with Cloud and Bayonetta. I really won't be caught dead playing as either, and I doubt I would buy them. In fact, am pretty sure my Smash buddy won't even buy them either. He voted Toad and Dixie Kong he said. Well, I doubt this **** would satisfy him, couldn't help him get into Fire Emblem even if I tried.

I also think that all these 3 new DLC characters look OP as ****, and I actually hope they end up sucking bad because of this. The hell they need to look so flashy for? Mewtwo especially looks so damn underwhelming. It's really bothering me actually. You can SEE from each character's quality of moveset currently when they got added into Smash Bros., it's really bad. How come Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Little Mac, Rosalina and Shulk have all these weird ass gimmicks from their original games, but Ganondorf is still a horrible semi clone? Samus can't run and shoot? Mewtwo is still terrible and underwhelming?

:facepalm:

Smash 5 better fix this ****

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I also think that all these 3 new DLC characters look OP as ****, and I actually hope they end up sucking bad because of this.
In all fairness, most of the newcomer trailers made their respective characters look OP, both base game and DLC. In practice however, there might be different results. They might not be as effective as they seem to be. Or they might. We can't know for sure until the players get their hands on them.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have to say that I think it's insulting to both Nintendo fans and FE fans that Fire Emblem has to come off as so weak that it relies on Smash Bros to coddle it for it to make it's sales, Fire Emblem is clearly Smash's special snowflake at this point and it does nothing but harm both series's reputations :/.
Considering Fire Emblem was going to end if Awakening wasn't a success, they're probably trying to do everything they can to catapult it into Nintendo's A or B-listers.

Sakurai himself is a fan, so he obviously wouldn't object to that.

:231:

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
You know.. I'm not mad or furious. I'm just very disappointed. They look cool as balls playable-wise, sure, but.. Well that'll teach me not to expect LOGICAL characters next time, if there is a next time.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I'm torn on the amount of Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4. On the one hand, several of them are all unique to each other, but on another hand, we do have a series that isn't quite popular compared to others and yet has 5-6 characters over other series that are far more popular and with less representation.
I feel like its not just the amount of characters, but how their characters are. If we wouldn't have gotten Lucina and Roy I feel like it would have gone over better.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
Considering Fire Emblem was going to end if Awakening wasn't a success, they're probably trying to do everything they can to catapult it into Nintendo's A or B-listers.

Sakurai himself is a fan, so he obviously wouldn't object to that.

:231:
-removed-

Last edited by a moderator:

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
I'm going to swallow my salt and admit that Bayonetta looks like one of the coolest characters in the game.

I would actually been very satisified if we had gotten someone like Isaac or K. Rool instead of the FE *Removed* with the lance.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm not really sure how to feel about Corrin, tbh.

From a gameplay standpoint, he honestly looks pretty fun to play as. I mean, he's got a chainsaw sword and can turn into a dragon. That's pretty neat, I must admit.

However, I still can't help but feel that we got a walking advertisement over a character that people actually requested. I kind of figured there would only be one Ballot fighter, but... Would it have killed them to at least add Wolf?

I'm not upset, just a little confused at this point.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, I waited a bit before posting here to see if my Corrin salt levels would recede and they have...a bit.

I'm not even mad because it's a FE character as much as I am because Corrin's a blatant promotional character; the opposite of fan service as far as I can tell. Not even the most popular promotional character option of the year since Splatoon happened.

Bayonetta at least made it worthwhile and although I wasn't exactly rooting for her she looks plenty of fun, and I got the Tails and Knuckles Mii outfits I was hoping for. Even if they're a little creepy looking, I'm pleased.

Congrats to the Geno fans on getting him noticed in some capacity. Never thought I'd see the day.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
I voted for bayonetta im so happy for her.

Much salt, such angry, very unexpected. wow.

I sometimes do wonder. If I have played any FE games, Final Fantasy, or Bayonetta. Would my opinion and reaction for these last 3 DLC characters be different? I really don't know.
As someone who has played final fantasy 1-10, like 4 fire emblems and both bayonettas i can tell you im very very very happy with the results of DLC.

Missing games from 3 major franchices(bayonetta is making a name on its own) in the world of gaming is a sin than a lot of people are paying right now, therefore the salt.

Sakurai knows how to please the fans, im very pleased myself, just not the kind of prople who lurks here it seems.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202

I guess you don't talk to a lot of Europeans...
When the kremling kampaigner is shouting in your neighborhood, it's really the majority of what you hear.

mymerlincat

Smash Cadet
Well, I waited a bit before posting here to see if my Corrin salt levels would recede and they have...a bit.

I'm not even mad because it's a FE character as much as I am because Corrin's a blatant promotional character; the opposite of fan service as far as I can tell. Not even the most popular promotional character option of the year since Splatoon happened.

Bayonetta at least made it worthwhile and although I wasn't exactly rooting for her she looks plenty of fun, and I got the Tails and Knuckles Mii outfits I was hoping for. Even if they're a little creepy looking, I'm pleased.

Congrats to the Geno fans on getting him noticed in some capacity. Never thought I'd see the day.
Were you mad that Roy was in Melee?

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Honestly, I'm currently writing a script for video that is an analysis about most of Smash 4, so having no changes to any modes makes it easy for me to go forth.

I'm still satisfied with all three DLC characters, even though I only actually care about Bayonetta's game. They all look cool to me.

I'm not surprised we didn't get to know the ballot result details in this broadcast, but I wonder if we'll get to know down the line. They've done it before, so I'm hopeful we'll get to know someday, at the very least. Some of you CAN'T STAND how the results came out, so I'd be interested to see if the Smashboards Bubble is in effect or not.

It's a good feeling to know that the mental prison I made for myself has been broken, now that Smash 4 is 2 months away from being officially over forever. I can finally stop thinking about this. Even clone characters take time, so someone like Wolf is probably not happening. The team currently behind Smash 4 must be pretty small.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I kind of doubt Bayonetta really won here fairly, I think there's no way there wasn't some mass voter fraud, from what I could tell, and perhaps I'm wrong, Dixie Kong and K. Rool were the big cheeses here in Europe. I don't know why people have suddenly started believing in this "silent majority" that apparently is interested in a niche hardcore game, when a much easier solution would be that a few people decided to rig the ballot with a lot of proxy IP votes. Seriously, there was a lot of cheating going on in the support threads during the ballot, do you all really think nobody was dedicated enough to vote, say, 1000 times? It's not hard at all, just tedious. Look, I'm not upset with her inclusion at all, (I'm pleasantly surprised by her) and who knows, maybe she really is the most popular character here, but it really does concern me that people have just accepted she won without questioning how much fraud took place and are instantly taking her popularity over K. Rool or Wolf as a fact.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I think what I'm happiest about after this final direct is that the Smashboards Echo Chamber has been proven wrong.

Perhaps moving forward everyone here will remember that the hardcore, American focused, late teens/20 something predominately male community that populates this site does not speak for the Smash fanbase as a whole.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Were you mad that Roy was in Melee?
No madder than when I found Marth was in Melee. Literally no one had heard of either of these guys in the western world since FE hadn't come over here.

I was however mad when Lucas was announced in Brawl.

I shouldn't be mad at Lucas anymore though, he's not a promotional character; we're never getting his game. Same with Roy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom