• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
User was warned for this post
^ Your siggy = bae. I likey. (Contributes nothing cause I"ma bause).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hopefully the leaks are kept the NintenZone thread, and at the very least, are spoiled here if real. Personal request, anyway.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Yes, can we please make a pact to post any legitimate looking leaks in spoiler tags? I'd like to be part of speculation in what could be it's final hours, but I don't wanna get spoiled, and would like to know when I need to start hiding from the internet :p

Also, predictions:
-Cloud information
-Maybe Wolf...
-Literally who knows?

I like where I've gotten with speculation. I'm past caring and worrying about what we could get, I'm just excited to see what we will get :grin:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
wolf and snake and ill be happy

but for newcomers, id be cool with one of (hopefully both) isaac or elma from xenoblade x

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Yes, can we please make a pact to post any legitimate looking leaks in spoiler tags? I'd like to be part of speculation in what could be it's final hours, but I don't wanna get spoiled, and would like to know when I need to start hiding from the internet :p
Yeah, I agree, we really ought to put in spoiler tags, seriously you guys had me worried at first with that leak today, if that leak was real I would have been more than a little angry that I got spoiled, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel that way too, so for the love of all that is Jiggly please use spoiler tags. For all you guys who don't know how to do a spoiler, you do a (spoiler=leak) (/spoiler) with [ and ] instead of (and ), it isn't hard at all, please use it, thanks.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
The day before the Smash Direct huh. It's been a wild ride.

Speculation for Smash 4 was very interesting to me and I'm sad to see it go.

I feel speculation has been soured for most people by users that act as horribly as YouTube comments. Any hope for a rational argument were buried by piles of aimless speculation or flame wars. I've been seeing that here in these last few days.

"Fan rules" comes from people's blatant bias clouding their judgement and views of a character. Too many FE/Mario/Pokémon reps. Too many blond anime sword characters (this was actually a post a few days ago). Too new/irrelevant.

While some of arguments above have some level of validity, a lot of them were used as a defensive mechanism (they are "attacking" my favorite character, so I'll attack what I believe is theirs) as a means to criticize a community (Inklings hate is a prime example), or just your average entitled circlejerk (too many of X is in my game). They may have had possible shreds of truth, but they just come off as ****ish.

When this thread actually thought about what Sakurai could be looking for in a character, we had decent discussions. Unfortunately, agenda pushing and character put-downs were far too noticeable and frequent, so we spent a lot our time running in circles with pointless arguments.

I guess this is the nature of a community that loves their characters too much to let other characters take their glory. Hopefully, we can be more willing to consider other characters in the next installment.

But hey, you can't stop someone from hating on a fictional character, right?

:023:

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Guys my dad works at Nintendo, he said that the other two characters are Paper Palutena and Dr. Pit. Kappa.

In all seriousness, the hype is surreal.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
The day before the Smash Direct huh. It's been a wild ride.

Speculation for Smash 4 was very interesting to me and I'm sad to see it go.

I feel speculation has been soured for most people by users that act as horribly as YouTube comments. Any hope for a rational argument were buried by piles of aimless speculation or flame wars. I've been seeing that here in these last few days.

"Fan rules" comes from people's blatant bias clouding their judgement and views of a character. Too many FE/Mario/Pokémon reps. Too many blond anime sword characters (this was actually a post a few days ago). Too new/irrelevant.

While some of arguments above have some level of validity, a lot of them were used as a defensive mechanism (they are "attacking" my favorite character, so I'll attack what I believe is theirs) as a means to criticize a community (Inklings hate is a prime example), or just your average entitled circlejerk (too many of X is in my game). They may have had possible shreds of truth, but they just come off as ****ish.

When this thread actually thought about what Sakurai could be looking for in a character, we had decent discussions. Unfortunately, agenda pushing and character put-downs were far too noticeable and frequent, so we spent a lot our time running in circles with pointless arguments.

I guess this is the nature of a community that loves their characters too much to let other characters take their glory. Hopefully, we can be more willing to consider other characters in the next installment.

But hey, you can't stop someone from hating on a fictional character, right?

:023:
Its not like there are things like ignore buttons if you can't deal with the way people are talking.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
I'm ok with absolutely anyone who would make it in at this point, because I know regardless who Sakurai picks, they're gonna be unique to play as, and chances are a lot of people will be happy about their inclusion.

I still have my own little needs for the DLC characters, but meh, I'm just a speck in the never ending sea that is the Smash fanbase. That and I'll basically main whoever the new characters are anyway :p

No, what I'm really more curious about though, is the amount of DLC characters that will be added, instead of who's being added. The last datamine said that there were two slots after cloud, so I'm wondering if that will be it, or if they're going to add a few more.
I'm guessing we'll get 2 at least and 4 maximum.

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
What if the reason there are no leaks is because Nintendo is basically just going to give Cloud and say goodbye?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
King K Rool / Beast Ganon.

What a day that would be.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
What if the reason there are no leaks is because Nintendo is basically just going to give Cloud and say goodbye?
This is doubtful, we didn't know we were getting Cloud... if they locked that up, it's safer to assume they're keeping a lid on things more this time vs something more drastic like that. Of course I don't have a magic ball, just going with probabilities. And those lead to more than Cloud just to begin with.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i dont think so because i think its safe to assume that we have at least 1 other character besides cloud coming, because i really doubt cloud was the winner of the smash ballot.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Because if Sakurai only chose characters who were the most popular, it would ruin the surprise and not be as much fun. I personally want characters that not many people would expect.
K. Rool's and Dixie perceived chances are mixed and most people don't expect Isaac and especially Snake. Only Wolf and someone like Inklings seems to be seen as generally likely.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Because if Sakurai only chose characters who were the most popular, it would ruin the surprise and not be as much fun. I personally want characters that not many people would expect.
You're only saying that because you don't think Sceptile won the ballot.

No, actually choosing the characters people actually want would not be surprise ruining. Especially since we don't know who's the most popular. And if they don't choose the most popular, the poll would be nothing more than a copout

Burruni

Smash Hero
You're only saying that because you don't think Sceptile won the ballot.

No, actually choosing the characters people actually want would not be surprise ruining. Especially since we don't know who's the most popular. And if they don't choose the most popular, the poll would be nothing more than a copout
While the single most popular character not getting in wouldn't be a cop out, if it wasn't someoen that we recognized for their massive, and I mean MASSIVE, popularity particularly on a worldwide scale then certainly.

Reminder that the top 10 requested fighters for Melee were as follows:
:bowsermelee:
:peachmelee:
:warioc: (BEFORE THE WARIO WARE GAMES SO WHY ISN'T THERE MORE FROM LAND/WORLD IN THE MOVESET?!)
:dedede:
Ganon (I mean... we got :ganondorfmelee:)
James Bond
:mewtwomelee:
Banjo-Kazooie
Toad
Mew

And then looking to the 11-20
:marthmelee:
Mr. Saturn
:pt: (Ash, technically)
Anyone From Fire Emblem
Gooey (Kirby Dreamland 2/3 Character)
:diddy:
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Anyone from Pokemon
:metaknight:
Lugia

(if someone wants to find listings for the Brawl Poll, feel free. I couldn't when I tried).

We won't see a 1-1 by any means, so "the most requested" isn't a lock. However, if it was someone that we didn't foresee with our relative gauges of popularity, eyebrows WILL be raised.

K. Rool or Inklings if there's only one 1st Party Newcomer being, I'd say, a 90~95%.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I had this weird dream last night that Jibanyan made it as a fighter. The trailer played up a rivalry between Pikachu and him, and showed off some abandoned Japanese inspired home with all sorts of Yokai popping out of the floor boards, roof, windows and doors to alter the stage and cause havoc (not legal)

It was a very weird and detail dream, there was even a small cut scene at the end with Miis with the Whisper hat on the roof of the middle building of Onet with Jibanyan ground level trying to dash attack into the cars.

I guess that's what happens when you watch Yokai watch the week before a smash direct lool

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I actually had a weird thought of mine. Let's say a third-party character that is currently owned by Microsoft gets into Smash 4 outside the realm of the 'ballot'.
I think both Steve? and Banjo-Kazooie have good chances in this scenario.. but there's one more character I could see getting in.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I was actually thinking recently about how other Rare characters might do.

I'm a huge Donkey Kong Universe/Rare fan, so I would be psyched if Banjo got in, but he's not necessarily the only option. If Nintendo is already working with Microsoft, the other Rare characters that might be interesting are Conker, Rash, Horstatio, and a Killer Instinct representative (maybe Saberwulf or Fulgore).

These are all very unlikely and I'd personally prefer Banjo, but these all have a lot of potential from a competitive perspective. Rash could be pretty useful with her transformative limbs and Conker could use his many "context-sensitive" weapons.

Of course, Nintendo would never go through the trouble of getting the rights to Rare characters and not pick Banjo, so the point is moot. I would like to see some of these as Mii costumes, though.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sakurai please give us a DLC blowout.

KKR, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Bomberman, Paper Mario!

That's my wish list.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
Of course, Nintendo would never go through the trouble of getting the rights to Rare characters and not pick Banjo, so the point is moot.
I'd agree! Still, disregarding how saught after Banjo & Kazooie are, the Battletoads are almost equal as iconic. I think they're cool :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
I was actually thinking recently about how other Rare characters might do.

I'm a huge Donkey Kong Universe/Rare fan, so I would be psyched if Banjo got in, but he's not necessarily the only option. If Nintendo is already working with Microsoft, the other Rare characters that might be interesting are Conker, Rash, Horstatio, and a Killer Instinct representative (maybe Saberwulf or Fulgore).

These are all very unlikely and I'd personally prefer Banjo, but these all have a lot of potential from a competitive perspective. Rash could be pretty useful with her transformative limbs and Conker could use his many "context-sensitive" weapons.

Of course, Nintendo would never go through the trouble of getting the rights to Rare characters and not pick Banjo, so the point is moot. I would like to see some of these as Mii costumes, though.
Just to say.
Horstatio isn't a Rare character.
It's Goku situation. LISCENCE games of a brand by a video game company unrelated to the show/written source which it is based on.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I get the feeling that more than two more characters will be revealed. There was supposedly a ton of heavily encrypted data in the last big update in August and not all that much has been released since then aside from the DLC dump in late September.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I get the feeling that more than two more characters will be revealed. There was supposedly a ton of heavily encrypted data in the last big update in August and not all that much has been released since then aside from the DLC dump in late September.
A ton of heavily encrypted data? This is the first I've heard of it.
Only the added slot in october, and the lingering... I think it's 2 stages worth of 3DS slotted, given there's the standard and omega that eat up a slot listing each.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) gets leaked in the next 24 hours. I'm tempted to spoil myself.

Anyway, there's really nothing left to talk about. Although I think at this point, it's safe to say what Sakurai has already said..."DLC is coming to an end".

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I really hope sakurai goes for something like the less popular characters get into smash 4, like (in my opinion) Crash Bandicoot. Since for one, a lot of people will be angry, but it would be cool, or they balance it with like half not popular characters and half popular, & Knuckles.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm conflicted in that I'd want to spoil myself on the characters if they're underwhelming or outright bad, but if it's something good or off-the-wall insane (the 0.01% chance of a shock Ridley reveal out of nowhere, for example), I'd want it to be a surprise.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) gets leaked in the next 24 hours. I'm tempted to spoil myself.

Anyway, there's really nothing left to talk about. Although I think at this point, it's safe to say what Sakurai has already said..."DLC is coming to an end".
When are you guys gonna actually link when he said that?

Burruni

Smash Hero
When are you guys gonna actually link when he said that?
Well, there was a Source Gaming translation of an interview around July when Sakurai said that the team can only be held together for a short while and that there were "only several characters left."

His interview as part of the 25th anniversary of Fire Emblem thing, however (coupled with this BEING THE FINAL BROADCAST FOR SMASH WIIU/3DS) said that this is our endgame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0sy0dn3r8U

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
I really hope sakurai goes for something like the less popular characters get into smash 4, like (in my opinion) Crash Bandicoot. Since for one, a lot of people will be angry, but it would be cool, or they balance it with like half not popular characters and half popular, & Knuckles.
I was really weirded out that Crash Bandicoot wasn't in Playstation All-Stars. I'd like it, although it'd be a weird pick. I dunno. I'm a huge fan of his games, so I shouldn't feel this way.

I think the less popular guys and gals deserve the same amount of chance as the big icons!
In the grand scheme of things, the ballot oughta be the chance those characters get.
I'm not super-hot on the idea of turning named persons of creature races into a fighter.. like Bandana Dee and Cap. Toad (sorry, fans!).. but like, characters most people DON'T care about should get their chance.
To be fair, what I just said could apply to Pokémon, couldn't it. :p

& Knuckles.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ Your siggy = bae. I likey. (Contributes nothing cause I"ma bause).
Infricted like a bause
I actually had a weird thought of mine. Let's say a third-party character that is currently owned by Microsoft gets into Smash 4 outside the realm of the 'ballot'.
I think both Steve? and Banjo-Kazooie have good chances in this scenario.. but there's one more character I could see getting in.

IF anything else from Rare should get in outside of Banjo, and of course Conker, anything Battle Toad related would also cause mad hype I'd imagine! They might not be exactly iconic, but they make it up for being ironic. :laugh: Am all for it. Better than Steve by far.
While the single most popular character not getting in wouldn't be a cop out, if it wasn't someoen that we recognized for their massive, and I mean MASSIVE, popularity particularly on a worldwide scale then certainly.

Reminder that the top 10 requested fighters for Melee were as follows:
:bowsermelee:
:peachmelee:
:warioc: (BEFORE THE WARIO WARE GAMES SO WHY ISN'T THERE MORE FROM LAND/WORLD IN THE MOVESET?!)
:dedede:
Ganon (I mean... we got :ganondorfmelee:)
James Bond
:mewtwomelee:
Banjo-Kazooie
Toad
Mew

And then looking to the 11-20
:marthmelee:
Mr. Saturn
:pt: (Ash, technically)
Anyone From Fire Emblem
Gooey (Kirby Dreamland 2/3 Character)
:diddy:
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Anyone from Pokemon
:metaknight:
Lugia

(if someone wants to find listings for the Brawl Poll, feel free. I couldn't when I tried).

We won't see a 1-1 by any means, so "the most requested" isn't a lock. However, if it was someone that we didn't foresee with our relative gauges of popularity, eyebrows WILL be raised.

K. Rool or Inklings if there's only one 1st Party Newcomer being, I'd say, a 90~95%.
This is the best I could find:
http://smashboards.com/threads/samuraipandas-translation-thread-updated-11-1.72642/
Anyway weird that Diddy got so few votes for Melee. Sakurai did state on the Brawl Dojo however that Diddy's arival in Brawl was quite late. Am sure that with less time pressure, Sakurai could've included Diddy in Melee. Up untill today, am still puzzled that the whole Rare buyout drama could've contributed to his exclusion. Rare / Microsoft did try to get the rights to Donkey Kong at that time, but still Rare DKC related elements where present in Melee. Dixie and K.Rool trophies for example with high modeled detail... Cranky in the background in Jungle Japes. Klap Traps. Melee had the most Rare related DKC elements of any Smash game. And they where credited in the begin screen of Melee to, and credits after Arcade / Adventure Mode / All Star. How come Diddy couldn't be made playable then? If I could ask Sakurai ANY question relating Smash Bros. it's that. A Diddy throphy is also strangely missing from Melee, which leads me to speculate more.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
IF anything else from Rare should get in outside of Banjo, and of course Conker, anything Battle Toad related would also cause mad hype I'd imagine! They might not be exactly iconic, but they make it up for being ironic. :laugh: Am all for it. Better than Steve by far.
I mean, it'd be crazy if Conker got in somehow, wouldn't it? Imagine the final smash. Yuck! :(
Rare has been part of some pretty iconic characters, games, music and settings. I don't care much about Rare's first-person shooters, but I'd be psyched about almost any Rareware in Smash. YO WHAT IF LIKE WE GOT A ZX SPECTRUM STAGE

Let's agree to disagree about Steve?.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Given that Cloud of all people wasn't leaked, I'm fairly confident that they'll be able to keep things under wraps until tomorrow. In all honesty, there hasn't been a legitimate leak since last fall, when several sources leaked that Mewtwo was going to be DLC. The only reason Roy and Ryu were leaked was because Nintendo dun goofed with fully encrypting the Mewtwo update. I think Nintendo might be legitimately in the clear this time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Crash is like the only 3rd party character that could be considered as iconic as Cloud and Ryu. Being right up there with Mario and Sonic in the late-90's as well occasionally outselling Mario is a huge feat. Even if the Crash series has been dead for a long time, his status as an icon can warrant him in the game. I'm just surprised that I never thought of him as a serious contender. People talk about Banjo and Rayman all the time but Crash is probably a bigger icon than the both of them combined.

Lets not also forget that Crash was pretty popular in Japan during his peak and that helps a lot in getting in the game.

I'm conflicted in that I'd want to spoil myself on the characters if they're underwhelming or outright bad, but if it's something good or off-the-wall insane (the 0.01% chance of a shock Ridley reveal out of nowhere, for example), I'd want it to be a surprise.
My thoughts as well. If the Wolf/Paper Mario leak turns out to be true (which it 99% most likely isn't), then I would rather just be spoiled because I wouldn't be all that hyped (like both characters though their not hype worthy for a final broadcast).

If we were talking about another huge gaming icon like Cloud and someone like Isaac or K. Rool, than screw that. I want to be completely shut off from Smashboards or any Smash related site so I can see the Presentation when it happens (or rather an hour after because i'll be writing my finals when the Presentation is happening lol).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom