• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Or Spiral Mountain. If they just used the orchestrated music remixes from Nuts and Bolts, they'd pretty much be set. Seriously though, who wouldn't want to fight to this theme:[/MEDIA]
I want a stage that takes place on the bridge to Grunty's Lair with Gruntilda making an appearance, similar to Twinrova on the 3DS Gerudo Valley stage. That or Treasure Trove Cove (I think that's what it's called) where you fight on the side of the water. If you go in the water, the shark will slowly approach and if it bites you, it's an insta-KO. Then on the other side of the stage, the shipwreck could be there. Maybe you can collect notes or honeycombs to boost your power or heal you. There's so much they could do.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I'd like to think that by revealing Cloud, who clearly wasn't one of the top Ballot characters, Sakurai intentionally shook our confidence in who we believed could make it as DLC. Just think back about a month or two ago, we were 95% sure that we were going to get either K. Rool or Wolf. Now? We're not so sure, especially with the dwindling number of DLC spots left. However, that uncertainty will make the hype all that much greater when we get the characters we asked for in the Ballot!

Or maybe I'm reading too deeply and they really ignored the Ballot all together lol.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I am pretty hyped for the presentation (probably like the rest of you guys), but it's also kind of sad to have the speculation and anticipation of new stuff coming to an end.

Let's hope this last farewell salute will bring some nice surprises.

Characters that I personally can see as realistic choices now are:
Wolf, Banjo Kazooie and the Inklings.

This comes from an avid K. Rool supporter, mind you. Clearly though, Sakurai has proven that for DLC characters, he prefers either veterans being brought back by fan demand or newcomers who can really bring something entirely new to the table (i.e. Ryu's inputs, or Cloud's Limit Breaks)

Inklings' gimmick is self explanatory, really and Banjo Kazooie has so much potential thanks to all their moves, their ability to split up, etc that I find neither of them unlikely.

Anyway, let's hope for a big bang!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
well to change the topic lets play mini game
put the first game than you remember of the next genrer
IT MUST BE OUTSIDE Nintendo
Fighting
Platform
FPS (first person shooter)
TPS (third person shooter)
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
RPG or JRPG (role play game)
Strategy
Racing
Bloody Roar
Banjo Kazooie
Team Fortress 2
...Hitman? Tomb Raider? Do they even count?
Resident Evil
???
Skies of Arcadia
Plants Vs. Zombies?
Sega All Stars Racing. Dang it, I blame TF2 and Skies of Arcadia for this one since they both have characters in it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I am pretty hyped for the presentation (probably like the rest of you guys), but it's also kind of sad to have the speculation and anticipation of new stuff coming to an end.

Let's hope this last farewell salute will bring some nice surprises.

Characters that I personally can see as realistic choices now are:
Wolf, Banjo Kazooie and the Inklings.

This comes from an avid K. Rool supporter, mind you. Clearly though, Sakurai has proven that for DLC characters, he prefers either veterans being brought back by fan demand or newcomers who can really bring something entirely new to the table (i.e. Ryu's inputs, or Cloud's Limit Breaks)

Inklings' gimmick is self explanatory, really and Banjo Kazooie has so much potential thanks to all their moves, their ability to split up, etc that I find neither of them unlikely.

Anyway, let's hope for a big bang!
I'll second the hype (beyond excited,) but the speculation and anticipation coming to an end is something to be celebrated for me at least. So done with it

/cheers though
Big Bangs away!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
- Soulcalibur
- Shovel Knight
- Halo
- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil
- Ace Attorney
- Tales Of
- Worms
- Big Rigs Over The Road Racing

Some of these I kinda drew a blank.
I'd love a Worm in Smash Bros. tho lol.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Street Fighter
Mega Man
Team Fortress 2
*Drawing a blank* Metal Gear Solid V?
Resident Evil
Katawa Shoujo/Phoenix Wright
Final Fantasy
Rise of Nations
Need for Speed

Not sure what it has to do with DLC, but okay.

:231:

Last edited:
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Tekken
Jak & Daxter
Some King Kong game
Ratchet & Clank
I don't think I've played any
See above
Kingdom Hearts
Worms
Jak X

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
For the record, most of these were first thought Nintendo titles, but the very next thing my brain went to, I wrote down no cheating. As it turns out, many of these games are not my favorites. Just the slot they take up in my mind's registry I guess lol :upsidedown: they popped up first.

Street Fighter
Crash Bandicoot (this was hard, I went from Nintendo to Nintendo etc.)
Halo
Gears of War
Resident Evil 4?
I need to open my eyes to visual novels I guess? Blank
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Command and Conquer
Cruising USA

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Darkstalkers 3
Mega Man Zero 2
Halo 4
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil Remake
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Final Fantasy VII
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Lego Racers

I'd like to think that by revealing Cloud, who clearly wasn't one of the top Ballot characters.
Honestly, I'm not convinced he wasn't. Sakurai nor Nintendo ever stated when they'd begin work on Ballot Characters they were interested in..its possible Sakurai saw a Cloud request and immediately wanted to do so..beyond that, if its based on popular vote, then that's also not a sure thing since we literally have nothing good to go off of. I mean, we have the English Fan-Run Polls, but only a Minority of those that took the Ballot even did the Polls after..and in my opinion they weren't really done that well to begin with from what I recall from the couple I did.

I see Cloud's chances as being 50/50 in regards to being from the Ballot..even a top one considering his popularity overall.

That said, it doesn't matter if he was 'top', they never said those chosen would be the most requested ones.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Tekken
Spyro The Dragon
Killzone
Gears Of War
Silent Hill
Zero Escape saga
Bloodborne
Empire Earth
Wipeout

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes

Man... I don't need anything from Undertale in Smash but I'd love to add this track somehow. Great Cave Offensive maybe for no other reason but its omega looks like it would fit the feel. Maybe Norfair because of the similar hot location, but I'm dig'n how it would sound on Great C. Offensive. It's not happening, I'm just enjoying the thought. I guess I could just play it myself ;P
Undertale has so much good music. The famous Bonetrousle theme litterally sounds like a Wario Land theme.
It's a shame there's no facility to more freely decide what music plays during stages, and letting SD card files play on stages.

Wouldn't it be better to wait and see than to spread misinformation?
But then we can't destroy this thread forever, man!!!!!! (some people are really through with this thread, hah)

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Banjo would be ground & internet breaking.

Smash has yet to get a third party character owned by a Western Developer. That alone is a signifcant achievement if it were to happen.

On top of that he comes from a rival console company, something thought to be impossible.

It kind of feels like the planets, stars, and ort cloud are alining. But this is one character I need to keep my expectations at zero for. The let down is too disappointing.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Banjo would definitely be my hype character, but I'm keeping myself away from expectations at this point. The games great it's fantastic how many characters have gotten in, I certainly have my wants for the end here and I hope I get blown out of the water with content but realistically it's amazing we have as much as we do.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
I mean, there's another "third-party" choice.. one that would chock the gaming world to its core.

-> FOLLOW THE MONEY <-
on a unrelated note, 'Rolling Start' music for Windy Hill would be AMAZING

Last edited:

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
Please stay on-topic.
Let's not get mad about people thinking outside the box. Especially since the box isn't all that big at the moment. (If our discussion was limited to King K. Rool, the Inklings, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and Wolf we wouldn't have anything interesting to talk about.)
smash puppy how has it going

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Bring back some 90's Western game era characters... Lol or some other company should make a western smash clone.

Banjo
Crash
Spyro
Rayman
Earthworm Jim

Why didnt PSASBR have Jersey Devil or Captain Blasto?

There's barely any Western character representation in Smash... I mean that's fine, but If this is a celebration of gaming can the west get some love, or are western games not as impactful?

Last edited:

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
Looks like we're coming to an end! If this is really the final DLC announcement and we don't get anything more, I must say it's been a pleasure to speculate with you.
Although I can't seem to avoid a thought everytime says this is it. Didn't they found 5 more slots for characters in the game? Does this mean we are getting news of this 5 characters all at once this 15th? It sounds really crazy to me, but I can't deny it. What do you think?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm going to play tooXD
Fighting - Street Fighter
Platform - Rayman
FPS (first person shooter) - Halo or Doom
TPS (third person shooter) - Max Payne
Survival Horror - Resident Evil
Visual Novel - Walking Dead
RPG or JRPG (role play game) - Final Fantasy
Strategy - Age of Empires
Racing - Need for Speed
Mortal Kombat
Crash Bandicoot
Halo
Mass Effect
Resident Evil
Ace Attorney
Dark Souls
Civilization
Forza

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
Although I can't seem to avoid a thought everytime says this is it. Didn't they found 5 more slots for characters in the game? Does this mean we are getting news of this 5 characters all at once this 15th? It sounds really crazy to me, but I can't deny it. What do you think?
Probably not.. I wouldn't deny the chance of getting some ballot character on the 15th, since I'm sure they could've predicted the outcome looking at the ballot mid-way or so through its lifetime.

That was probably just a generous extension they made for their own sake. It's a bit weird that it got out like that, but having support for something isn't the same thing as actually doing it.

D

Deleted member

At this point I'm thinking Mii costumes Final Fantasy 7, and maybe some characters who didn't get in.

Details about Cloud and Midgar.

And Inklings and Wolf as the final two chracters with Cloud. I'm
Keeping my expectations in check these are just my thoughts your free to disagree with them, but at this point this is what I expect. This is all exciting and good enough for me though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I wish we would get additional content past this direct, the fact that they're telling us flat out that this is the last presentation...I think it's fair to say that if they have any more content to show us, it'll be in the broadcast.

I'll share my thoughts on what to expect later. But I think most people have an idea of what we will get in some form.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While I wish we would get additional content past this direct, the fact that they're telling us flat out that this is the last presentation...I think it's fair to say that if they have any more content to show us, it'll be in the broadcast.

I'll share my thoughts on what to expect later. But I think most people have an idea of what we will get in some form.
Yeah, that's my mentality as well. A lot of people are thinking that there's going to be more Smash Bros content after this but I just disagree really. Nintendo has put heavy emphasis on how this Direct is the last Smash Bros presentation and I take that to mean DLC is officially done on the 15th

Especially considering how expensive DLC costs and that all the DLC exceeds the price of the game itself. People are spending a crap ton for all this content. Top that all of with Sakurai needing a break from all this work and it only makes sense for this to be the end of DLC. The only updates in the future would be balance patches really.
At this point I'm thinking Mii costumes Final Fantasy 7, and maybe some characters who didn't get in.

Details about Cloud and Midgar.

And Inklings and Wolf as the final two chracters with Cloud. I'm
Keeping my expectations in check these are just my thoughts your free to disagree with them, but at this point this is what I expect. This is all exciting and good enough for me though.
I would be pretty salty if all the remaining characters were getting are those 2. Inklings everyone here knows I loathe greatly and Wolf, whom I want to see return to the series still won't feel complete without a really hype character (Inklings is not that character for me, just saying). What we need is a Nintendo newcomer that appeals to everyone and possibly another 3rd party character that throws everyone off completely like Cloud.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
Pichu? Whut? I must've missed the people that wanted Pichu to return. Hey, sure. Equal chance to all three remaining veteren Pokémon, honestly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Pichu would be great IMO. Especially to see the internet explode.

Would buy fo sho.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
What we need is a Nintendo newcomer that appeals to everyone
Serious question: Who?

When we look at a relative Big 4 with Nintendo characters being requested....

K. Rool: Has had his abscence of 7-8 years, and a number of people legiitmately have thought that he just disappeared after the N64.

Inklings: "Too new, just a cash grab."

Bandana Dee: "Wow just give us a generic enemy with a special piece of headgear."

Isaac: Faces worse "obscurity" than K. Rool for younger audiences.

Edit:
Pichu would be great IMO. Especially to see the internet explode.

Would buy fo sho.
And can we please be done with the mentality of "I want this character because people will be upset" that I keep seeing sporadically....

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, that's my mentality as well. A lot of people are thinking that there's going to be more Smash Bros content after this but I just disagree really. Nintendo has put heavy emphasis on how this Direct is the last Smash Bros presentation and I take that to mean DLC is officially done on the 15th

Especially considering how expensive DLC costs and that all the DLC exceeds the price of the game itself. People are spending a crap ton for all this content. Top that all of with Sakurai needing a break from all this work and it only makes sense for this to be the end of DLC. The only updates in the future would be balance patches really.

I would be pretty salty if all the remaining characters were getting are those 2. Inklings everyone here knows I loathe greatly and Wolf, whom I want to see return to the series still won't feel complete without a really hype character (Inklings is not that character for me, just saying). What we need is a Nintendo newcomer that appeals to everyone and possibly another 3rd party character that throws everyone off completely like Cloud.
Inklings may not be your cuppatea...but they would certainly still bring a lot of hype given how big Splatoon is right now...

It is IMPOSSIBLE to release a character that would make everyone happy...no matter who the remaining DLC is going to be there are going to be a number of people that will hate them...even K Rool has quite a bit of opposition...mind you they aren't quite as vocal as say Ridley's opposition, but haters exist regardless...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think it would be a letdown if Inklings were the only ballot character, because it would feel like all of the other submissions people made got cast aside for a pick whose inclusion was a foregone conclusion, either now or in Smash 5. Like, why invest so much into a ballot if you're just gonna pull an obvious promotional character you would have added anyway and pass it off as some bone thrown to fans?

Same goes for if a/the winner is a veteran. You didn't need a ballot to know people would love them back.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There has to be a character out there that everyone wants. maybe it's an LoZ character or another character that were not expecting that we will all love to see in the game.

K. Rool IMO is that character for me personally and for a lot of other people. He's the main villain from one of the most iconic Nintendo games of all time + he has enormous popularity so that easily justifies him in the game. Combine that with the fact that relevancy isn't a deciding factor in the game (:4lucas::4feroy:) and he's feasible to appeal to pretty much everyone.

I was being half serious about wanting to see the internet explode over Pichu. For one, I do support Pichu to return to the series though it's funny to think of the prospect of people reacting to Pichu's return.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
If I had to guess, we're getting Cloud and two other fighters. Since we know there's one more stage at least, I'm guessing Wolf is returning and then a newcomer from an unrepresented franchise. I think this could be either Isaac with a Golden Sun stage only because I do find it strange how Golden Sun has even less representation in this iteration. Or Inklings, which seems more likely due to a more overwhelming popularity. As much as I like King K. Rool and Dixie Kong, I think we might have to wait for Smash 5 (if there is one) and I'm okay with that considering all of the newcomers and DLC we've gotten.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So we've already gone through the characters we all want, but what about the stages that accompany them? Here's mine:
Shantae- Scuttle Town and Zombie Caravan: a pure fanservice stage like Town and City from Animal Crossing.
Vaati- Minish Woods: kinda the same deal as the Wii U pikmin stage. Just without hazards and with Minish in the background
Tiki- Grima: Fighting on the back of a dragon in Awakening was beautiful and I must see it in HD
I'll do this just for the ones I want that are also in my sig.

King K Rool - Gangplank Galleon
Impa - Kakariko Village
Shantae - Scuttle Town.
Rayman - Glade of Dreams
Bayonetta - City of Noatun or Vigrid
Inkling - Inkopolis
Medusa - Tbe Underworld
Snake - the one from Brawl
Dixie Kong - something from Tropical Freeze
Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysuar - N/A as veterans who have stages from their series already. Like Lucas/Mewtwo/Roy.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think people are going about it the wrong way if they're trying to dig out individual characters who will "appeal to everyone." There are absolutely characters who will appeal to people more than others, and that should 100% be a consideration where the ballot is concerned. However, I think the better approach is to look at DLC as a package, and depending on who ultimately gets the last few spots, Sakurai and co. will have done a pretty bang-up job at adding in "something for everyone."

You have characters for the nostalgic Smash fans who enjoyed previous games, like Mewtwo and Lucas.

You have characters for the more casual Smash fans who are big into memes, like Roy and his T3h Ph1r3.

You have characters who appeal to fans of the fighting game genre, like Ryu.

You have characters who appeal to the ZOMG HYPE WTF BBQ crowd who suggest off-the-wall characters, like Cloud.

The missing pieces you can add here are the more hardcore Nintendo fans and "the casuals," so to speak. The former, you can appeal to by picking one or two of the characters they voted for in the ballot, and the latter, you can appeal to by putting out flashy and fun-looking characters, probably from newer games. The caveats to consider are that 1) hardcore fans aren't a perfect representation of the fanbase as a whole and 2) casuals aren't the ones who will generally care about DLC and/or still be playing Smash over a year after release.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think people are going about it the wrong way if they're trying to dig out individual characters who will "appeal to everyone." There are absolutely characters who will appeal to people more than others, and that should 100% be a consideration where the ballot is concerned. However, I think the better approach is to look at DLC as a package, and depending on who ultimately gets the last few spots, Sakurai and co. will have done a pretty bang-up job at adding in "something for everyone."

You have characters for the nostalgic Smash fans who enjoyed previous games, like Mewtwo and Lucas.

You have characters for the more casual Smash fans who are big into memes, like Roy and his T3h Ph1r3.

You have characters who appeal to fans of the fighting game genre, like Ryu.

You have characters who appeal to the ZOMG HYPE WTF BBQ crowd who suggest off-the-wall characters, like Cloud.

The missing pieces you can add here are the more hardcore Nintendo fans and "the casuals," so to speak. The former, you can appeal to by picking one or two of the characters they voted for in the ballot, and the latter, you can appeal to by putting out flashy and fun-looking characters, probably from newer games. The caveats to consider are that 1) hardcore fans aren't a perfect representation of the fanbase as a whole and 2) casuals aren't the ones who will generally care about DLC and/or still be playing Smash over a year after release.
Why wouldn't Roy fall under the 1st category? He's a highly requested character to return to the series just like Mewtwo and Lucas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom