• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If was Sakurai, I would have chosen Pacman & Megaman before Snake.
And also Rayman / Snake / Dragon Quest character before Ryu + Cloud.

But oh well.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Everything in moderation. Guest characters become boring once they become the norm.
Yh I guess they would be less exciting each time. But if they are unique they shouldn't be counted as boring. Cloud is much less exciting than Ryu for me, despite the leak, due to him taking some moves from Ike/Robin/Link/Shulk...

He is surprising, but not particularity exciting imho. I'm mostly excited for the stage & it's music, and the future potential of 3rd Party additions that Ryu opened the doors to. (tho it was a fan made rule anyway.)

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
This reminds me of my reaction to Snake back in 2006. I feel like Sonic works because of the history of the rivalry with SEGA followed by Sonic appearing on Nintendo consoles and with Mario at the olympics. Pac Man works because Namco helped make the game, they could have given Namco 3 reps even an obscure one and it would be fine because they are a part of this game. I even feel Mega Man works because he was notable on early Nintendo systems. But Snake, Ryu and Cloud are the sort of characters that really take away from this being a Nintendo cross over, why should smash give free advertising to other companies. The FF7 remake is not coming to WII U but they have now helped out Sony by making Cloud relevant again.
As long as the third party in question is a big name I don't really think it matters about the relationships. Again Ryu is from an upcoming PS4 title but yet he got in the game. Snake is the first third party in Smash and people still want him back even with the Konami/Kojima debacle. Cloud, Final Fantasy like MegaMan the first few games were all on Nintendo systems. Square always had association with Nintendo whether big or small they were always there. The whole relationship rule is really starting to get invalid by the second, I don't think Nintendo really care about who they are close to or not close to. Sakurai has stated as long as a third party character has a legacy/history they can be represented into Smash Bros. And Final Fantasy, especially 7 does have a history and a legacy behind it.

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
Let me explain: The demise I speak of is the roster becoming MUGAN. Obscure Nintendo characters may not be initially exciting, but they bring light to a different side of the company. They add something interesting, and they help represent the company's history, Because this is what the game is about. Super Smash Brothers is about celebrating Nintendo. What does Heroes of the Storm celebrate. Does it celebrate the golden age of PC gaming, or is it about Blizzard. It's the latter. That means I don't want Command and Conquer characters in Heroes of the Storm. I want Tracer, not the Scout.

The demise of Smash Brothers is because the roster and additions become meaningless. It becomes about adding "icons" and becomes a mess. MUGAN is a fan game for a reason.
I think your spot on but if I can ask you a direct question, what do you think about Pac Man being in the game? For me playing melee for the first time it was characters like Ness, Falcon and IC's that helped me find the heart of the series and knowing it all came from the same company was even better. It makes you want to find out about those series instead of seeing characters you already know look somewhat out of place from other companies. Obviously the game needs Mario, Link, Pikachu and Villager but once you get past those obvious characters you start to learn about the history of the company.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just want Snake more than ever now. I feel that the more maturish characters there are in Smash, the more they fit in the game. It helps ZSS, a Ninty char, became slightly more mature, too.
Well, Ryu and Mario have similar moves.
Ryu was fighting way before Mario tho. :p Ryu just had to have all of his iconic moves otherwise him in Smash wouldn't have done him justice imo.

Last edited:

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
As long as the third party in question is a big name I don't really think it matters about the relationships. Again Ryu is from an upcoming PS4 title but yet he got in the game. Snake is the first third party in Smash and people still want him back even with the Konami/Kojima debacle. Cloud, Final Fantasy like MegaMan the first few games were all on Nintendo systems. Square always had association with Nintendo whether big or small they were always there. The whole relationship rule is really starting to get invalid by the second, I don't think Nintendo really care about who they are close to or not close to. Sakurai has stated as long as a third party character has a legacy/history they can be represented into Smash Bros. And Final Fantasy, especially 7 does have a history and a legacy behind it.
Don't you think it's weird that they pay respect to companies that have left them. This is why people weren't shocked at Snake being dropped. The game still needs to have an identity. If people want cross overs featuring other characters look at PS All Stars or Marvel v Capcom.

In your sig you suggest Rayman, Inkling and Impa, all of these would be better picks than Cloud. I feel like Sonic, Mega Man and Pac Man are like mascots so they represent their company well as the pick for smash. Ryu and Cloud less so. Rayman is a mascot type and still releases on WII U. Nintendo should think more about including Inkling as it's great for WII U owners to have Splatoon as a separate game and in smash. Impa has made several appearances in one of Nintendo's biggest franchises including a role in HW that explores her more as a fighter. They should be in ahead of Cloud as it connects WII U owners with the other games they own or might consider getting.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I'm pretty salty about Cloud. A lot of people know me as the Nintendo guy, but its starting to get almost silly now; almost a parody of itself. Think about this: with all the DLC, only 3 of the 5 characters are Nintendo characters and the new characters are third party characters......in a Nintendo fighting game. Its like adding Batman and Jughead in Marvel vs Capcom over actual Marvel characters. Or better yet, its like replacing the cast of SNL with Justin Timberlake and other guest.

Im surprised the responses here were positive because it was more negative on Twitter. The problem is that its getting to the point where its not even feasible. You now have 5 third party characters, 6 with Snake, from 4(5) different companies. That is at least 4 different outside publishers you need to negotiate with. That also means you have 5(6) different stages plus music and trophies. You wont even be able to bring them all back at a reasonable cost.

I think the issue I have is on principal. As I said, its like being a fan of Billzard and getting the Heavy in Heroes of the Storm. You aren't there for Team Fortress 2. You are there for Billzard. In the same way, I'm here from Smash because I want Nintendo, not Final Fantasy. And only in Smash Brothers is it consider alright to have outside characters. I feel the series is going on a dangerous path that would lead to its demise. Dramatic? A bit. But if Super Smash Brothers is about Nintendo than to keep adding outside characters makes the roster clash more and makes it more costly. It makes it less exciting to see outside characters. It degrades a roster that represents the history of a company into MUGAN. Essentially, we are one step closer to Goku and SpongeBob. "You're crazy Smashchu." Would you have said during Brawl that Cloud was getting in?

That's what I was thinking.
You're assuming this is about Nintendo all stars. War has changed. It's about GAMING all stars.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You're assuming this is about Nintendo all stars. War has changed. It's about GAMING all stars.
Still mostly Ninty, but I adore the change. :p

I just want my Rayman. He definitely deserves a spot by now. :(

Last edited:

Sonicjamareiz

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting think all this community can do is set themselfs up for disappointmen, cry and complain you guys did this with the Lucina, ESRB leak and now Cloud and I freaking tired of this mess of a community its not that freaking serious all you have to do is A. buy it and be happy or B. don't buy it and be happy. There's absolutely NO reasons for the fuss if this means that much to you talk with you wallet instead of meaningless words mkay?

Last edited:

Zorthax

Smash Rookie
This is just my theory, but it's possible they've split the Smash Ballot up into winners by region.
I can see it much more likely that Cloud was the winner for Japan rather than the winner overall. Next month's Smash direct could show us the winners for NA and PAL. Three empty characters slots were leaked, so it fits IMO.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
I'm starting think all this community can do is set themselfs up for disappointmen, cry and complain you guys did this with the Lucina, ESRB leak and now Cloud and I freaking tired of this mess of a community its not that freaking serious all you have to do is A. buy it and be happy or B. don't buy it be and be happy. There's absolutely NO reasons for the fuss if this means that much to you talk with you wallet instead of meaningless words mkay?
Criticisms are just as valid as praise. Otherwise this thread would be titled "General DLC Praise".

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Don't you think it's weird that they pay respect to companies that have left them. This is why people weren't shocked at Snake being dropped. The game still needs to have an identity. If people want cross overs featuring other characters look at PS All Stars or Marvel v Capcom.
Well not really it happens in fighting games all the time. When is the last time you saw Link in a Soul Calibur game for example. Never! Guest characters will tend to get dropped no matter how close to the company they are, especially if they don't make that offer again, which is probably why Sonic may have stayed because they could had that as a part of the three-game contract. This could've been the reason as to why Snake may have got dropped. Its all about who can negotiate and who can't if you are on board then more than likely you are in if not you are out.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No, since Limit Breaks are only activated, if the characters in Final Fantasy 7 take damage. I guess, it's more similar too Little Max. With the difference that only damage fills his gauge and all his moves have a "Limitbreak"-Version.
I think I am right. Looks like Cloud is voluntarily charging his limit bar to me.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Can someone please explain to me how Clouds limit break works in Smash, or at least, how it might work please?

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
I'm starting think all this community can do is set themselfs up for disappointmen, cry and complain you guys did this with the Lucina, ESRB leak and now Cloud and I freaking tired of this mess of a community its not that freaking serious all you have to do is A. buy it and be happy or B. don't buy it be and be happy. There's absolutely NO reasons for the fuss if this means that much to you talk with you wallet instead of meaningless words mkay?
To be honest i'll probably end up either buying and at least be happy with the stage or not waste my money on a character I won't use. I doesn't bother me playing against Ryu who I feel similar towards just gives me extra incentive to win but I don't tend to use him and almost wish i hadn't got him so he wouldn't be there on random. But the discussion is still fun especially for something unexpected. When WFT was announced I was on the positive side and it was fun and now i'm on the negative side but it's still interesting to discuss.

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
Well not really it happens in fighting games all the time. When is the last time you saw Link in a Soul Calibur game for example. Never! Guest characters will tend to get dropped no matter how close to the company they are, especially if they don't make that offer again, which is probably why Sonic may have stayed because they could had that as a part of the three-game contract. This could've been the reason as to why Snake may have got dropped. Its all about who can negotiate and who can't if you are on board then more than likely you are in if not you are out.
But it's more special when it's 1 or 2 guests, having 5 starts to take away from the identity of the series.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Can someone please explain to me how Clouds limit break works in Smash, or at least, how it might work please?
I think Cloud charges his limit bar with Down B. This enhances the next special that is used.
His B move looks like a beam.
His side B a slice combo.
His Up B a vertical slice.

If Down B is used when the gauge is full, instead of charging the bar, Cloud unleashes a hurricane of blade swipes sending opponents upwards.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've seen this image going around, really made me like Cloud that much more.
2011 nintendo magazine.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
To be honest i'll probably end up either buying and at least be happy with the stage or not waste my money on a character I won't use. I doesn't bother me playing against Ryu who I feel similar towards just gives me extra incentive to win but I don't tend to use him and almost wish i hadn't got him so he wouldn't be there on random. But the discussion is still fun especially for something unexpected. When WFT was announced I was on the positive side and it was fun and now i'm on the negative side but it's still interesting to discuss.
I see where you are coming from, and who is to say that these characters would even stick around the franchise. I wouldn't worry about it too much. 2 of the guest fighters are really just DLC meaning optional while the other three made it into the base game. Sonic, MegaMan, and maybe even PacMan (+ a requested third party) I can see sticking with the franchise because of how important they are to Nintendo and the gaming industry. I think Ryu and Cloud are just something a little extra for Smash 4, who may not end up coming back in future installments.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm sure Cloud is going to be fine, and fun and all as a character, but I really think there were better picks. I mean, pretty sure Sakurai chose him because of wanting to add the limit break characteristic in order to help the game keep evolving which is fine.

But come on Nintendo, have some pride! This is the game when Square broke ties with you! Cloud has never been on a Nintendo console (correct if wrong), and as someone said before, this brings us one step closer to Goku and Sponge Bob.. god forbid.. The only light at the end of the tunnel, for me at least, is that if they are clearly going for iconic and hopefully nostalgic characters, that Simon Belmont's chances have just risen quite a bit.

I'm glad to see new and inventive content being brought to the game, but I feel like this could be a step in the wrong direction. Let's just hope they don't start getting carried away with it.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The announcement of Smash info in December had Brawl music playing... All missing Brawl vets are getting ported? Sans the icies, of course. That'd be amazing.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I see where you are coming from, and who is to say that these characters would even stick around the franchise. I wouldn't worry about it too much. 2 of the guest fighters are really just DLC meaning optional while the other three made it into the base game. Sonic, MegaMan, and maybe even PacMan (+ a requested third party) I can see sticking with the franchise because of how important they are to Nintendo and the gaming industry. I think Ryu and Cloud are just something a little extra for Smash 4, who may not end up coming back in future installments.
And a funny tidbit...Cloud in his trailer does say "I never thought I see the day."
When in reality it meant "No one never thought this would ever happen."

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy could be returning to Nintendo. This is great. But the new FF games look too serious. The developers have to have more fun with the story. Cloud had to dress in drag to seduce a mob boss.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Some of you people aren't GAMING fans. Or at least it doesn't seem that way.

Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Ryu and Cloud is a fantastic lineup of gaming all-stars. I said it before and I'll say it again. It's about gaming all-stars. It may not have started that way, but that's a big part of the series now.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We legit have had all the big Gaming all-stars of the 90's in one game (well minus Rayman and Snake) of series/brands that appeared on a Nintendo console and y'all are complaining?

Wow. Seriously, Cloud looks fantastic, and I didn't even want Cloud. It's clear his moveset REEKS of PASSION AND LOVE, much like Ryu, who IMO is probably the best designed newcomer in Smash BY FAR.

Dear God, none of this should be possible, but is. I had freaking arguments over Cloud being in "Smash 2" back in elementary school, as well as the likes of Ryu, Mega Man, and Sonic. Now, we got all 4 of them IN THE SAME GAME VIA MAGIC!!! This is freaking mind-blowing.

This is a big reason why I love video games.
I basically covered this
Here's what the 3rd party characters are icons of:
Snake: The stealth genre, PS2 3rd party games (and kinda sorta all of Gen 6)
Sonic: Non-Nintendo console platformers, SEGA consoles (and sort of all of Gen 4 [outside of Nintendo])
Mega Man: Nintendo console platformers, NES 3rd party games (and kinda sorta all of Gen 3)
Pac-Man: Classic arcade games, the original video game icon (and kinda sorta all of Gen 2)
Ryu: New generation arcade games, fighting games, and SNES 3rd party games (and kinda sorta all of Gen 4)
Cloud: the traditional RPG genre, PS1 3rd party games (and kinda sorta all of Gen 5)
We got it all covered up to Gen 6 since Gen 1 lacked any character that could be playable (please don't pitch Pong).

IDK what you'd do for Gen 7 to be honest that's very character driven. There's no real clear cut 3rd party character there.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pffff, dissapointing.

Honestly, I could see this coming in hindsight. Yes, I guess to those who played Final Fantasy, this is amazing. But really, Cloud seems uninspiring to me. Lots of similar moves to Ike for example, and even those Final Smash attacks... Makes me wish Isaac would've been included before Cloud even more. Not having strong hopes for him anymore unfortunately... :urg:

Haven't seen anything else yet from the Direct except Cloud's reveal, as I just came home. But ughh... Am not exactly motivated to look into it right now either. Just one character reveal to... Has Sakurai / Nintendo given any indication of more DLC content down the line?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So far all the third party DLC share this in common...

1) Major Japanese game developer owned.
2) Iconic/ face/ mascots of franchises with a lengthy legacy.

What could be remaining?

Konami - Snake? Bomberman? Simon Belmont?
Tecmo Koei - Ryu Hayabusa?

Sorry but I didn't open these flood gates. :p

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
You're right about the DLC thing. To be honest all the DLC so far has been questionable, Lucas and Roy are clones and arguably not needed, M2 has a somewhat awkward play style that isn't one the most unique and 2 3rd party, pure fan service. But there is still untapped potential in Nintendo's own history with characters like Saki or Isaac or Inkling that should have priority. I've said it's not like I will be mad at having to play other people who are using the character. I still feel Duck Hunt is only character that truly shouldn't be there but that's a different discussion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Adding Snake back would be amazing right now. He should be here. Sure, I reek of bias. But i'm sticking to it.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The announcement of Smash info in December had Brawl music playing... All missing Brawl vets are getting ported? Sans the icies, of course. That'd be amazing.
Yeah, they had SSBB's Final Destination playing during that message. I don't want to start reading too much into it, but that would just be too awesome if it signaled :wolf:'s return.

Some of you people aren't GAMING fans. Or at least it doesn't seem that way.

Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Ryu and Cloud is a fantastic lineup of gaming all-stars. I said it before and I'll say it again. It's about gaming all-stars. It may not have started that way, but that's a big part of the series now.
We have the many Nintendo all-stars with a few well known icons from other developers included in Smash. What could possibly be better than that?

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
I just don't know what to say. The surprise was sooooo huge. I'm glad Nintendo didn't let the information be leaked. Now I want that all characters were leak free.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Is there really going to be a Smash direct on December or it just a livestream?

Also, CLOUD EMOTE WHEN!?!?!?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
But come on Nintendo, have some pride! This is the game when Square broke ties with you! Cloud has never been on a Nintendo console (correct if wrong), and as someone said before, this brings us one step closer to Goku and Sponge Bob.
He's been in Kingdom Hearts games, like Chain of Memories for the Game Boy Advance.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Adding Snake back would be amazing right now. He should be here. Sure, I reek of bias. But i'm sticking to it.
The fact we could have Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Snake, and Pikachu in the same game on the same stage at the same time is freaking amazing.

Y'all need to step back and realize that.

Also, y'all need to look at Cloud's moveset and how sweet it looks. How do you not want to play as that?

It's an insanely cool take on the sword and magic combination with loads of cool FFVII and FF moves mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom