• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
We need Snake back now.
Imagine this..
:4mario:,:4sonic:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4ryu:,:snake: and Cloud fighting on the same screen.
Smash bros turned into something else...
It is actually what I always wanted Smash Bros to be.... :)

Plenty of 3rd parties, but 80-90% of all characters to be from Nintendo anyway. Now it's like, what, 7% 3rd Party?

Now imagine :4mario:,:4sonic:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4ryu:, Cloud, :snake:, Shantae, Rayman, Simon Belmont / someone else (Bayonetta.) ......

Would be even more GLORIOUS.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The announced December Smash Direct is pretty much what i've been predicting since around June. I was here always saying that Nintendo would have a Direct of some sorts for Smash that will completely finish all the DLC in the game and it looks like i'm sorta right here. There might be a chance that some characters might be released early next year though I doubt it given that Sakurai (by the time of the December Direct) would have 6 months of dev time and i'm only expecting 4 more DLC characters (Cloud included).

As for non-Character content, I can very well see an announcement of a new Adventure-like mode which would be great given how barebones 1-P modes feel in the game.

Also, all we need is Snake back in the game to make this roster the ultimate fighting game roster.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I'm pretty salty about Cloud. A lot of people know me as the Nintendo guy, but its starting to get almost silly now; almost a parody of itself. Think about this: with all the DLC, only 3 of the 5 characters are Nintendo characters and the new characters are third party characters......in a Nintendo fighting game. Its like adding Batman and Jughead in Marvel vs Capcom over actual Marvel characters. Or better yet, its like replacing the cast of SNL with Justin Timberlake and other guest.

Im surprised the responses here were positive because it was more negative on Twitter. The problem is that its getting to the point where its not even feasible. You now have 5 third party characters, 6 with Snake, from 4(5) different companies. That is at least 4 different outside publishers you need to negotiate with. That also means you have 5(6) different stages plus music and trophies. You wont even be able to bring them all back at a reasonable cost.

I think the issue I have is on principal. As I said, its like being a fan of Billzard and getting the Heavy in Heroes of the Storm. You aren't there for Team Fortress 2. You are there for Billzard. In the same way, I'm here from Smash because I want Nintendo, not Final Fantasy. And only in Smash Brothers is it consider alright to have outside characters. I feel the series is going on a dangerous path that would lead to its demise. Dramatic? A bit. But if Super Smash Brothers is about Nintendo than to keep adding outside characters makes the roster clash more and makes it more costly. It makes it less exciting to see outside characters. It degrades a roster that represents the history of a company into MUGAN. Essentially, we are one step closer to Goku and SpongeBob. "You're crazy Smashchu." Would you have said during Brawl that Cloud was getting in?

Please tell me I wasn't alone when I first saw the trailer I had Star Fox vibes and was literally saying #FreeWolf!
That's what I was thinking.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I agree, but like Ryu, I'll get used to him. Heck, I already watched his trailer like 5 times...

I am Seruously reconsidering all potential 3rd party characters chances now. Seems more like anyone could join who is a game character, not just popular choices.
Remember the competitive and speculative Smash fans are in the minority compared to more casual Players- I definitely wouldn't say cloud wasn't wanted by /anyone/ just by people who follow the fan made rules/theories on how characters are chosen since Cloud has only appeared on Nintendo games in Square Enix spin off titles. Cloud is an Icon of gaming and the Poster-boy of JRPGs.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
For the most part, I really enjoyed that Direct.

But the end? That was like finishing my ice cream and finding out there was a cockroach at the bottom of the ice cream cone the whole time.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
So, his down special looks like it might charge his other specials which are:
Sword Beam
Sword Combo
Vertical Slice

Does that seem right?
No, since Limit Breaks are only activated, if the characters in Final Fantasy 7 take damage. I guess, it's more similar too Little Max. With the difference that only damage fills his gauge and all his moves have a "Limitbreak"-Version.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So I'm pretty salty about Cloud. A lot of people know me as the Nintendo guy, but its starting to get almost silly now; almost a parody of itself. Think about this: with all the DLC, only 3 of the 5 characters are Nintendo characters and the new characters are third party characters......in a Nintendo fighting game. Its like adding Batman and Jughead in Marvel vs Capcom over actual Marvel characters. Or better yet, its like replacing the cast of SNL with Justin Timberlake and other guest.

Im surprised the responses here were positive because it was more negative on Twitter. The problem is that its getting to the point where its not even feasible. You now have 5 third party characters, 6 with Snake, from 4(5) different companies. That is at least 4 different outside publishers you need to negotiate with. That also means you have 5(6) different stages plus music and trophies. You wont even be able to bring them all back at a reasonable cost.

I think the issue I have is on principal. As I said, its like being a fan of Billzard and getting the Heavy in Heroes of the Storm. You aren't there for Team Fortress 2. You are there for Billzard. In the same way, I'm here from Smash because I want Nintendo, not Final Fantasy. And only in Smash Brothers is it consider alright to have outside characters. I feel the series is going on a dangerous path that would lead to its demise. Dramatic? A bit. But if Super Smash Brothers is about Nintendo. To keep adding outside characters makes the roster clash more and makes it more costly. It makes it less exciting to see outside characters. It degrades a roster that represents the history of a company into MUGAN. Essentially, we are one step closer to Goku and SpongeBob. "You're crazy Smashchu." Would you have said during Brawl that Cloud was getting in?

Meh. The difference in ratios between 3rd Party and Nintendo characters will always be huge.

He isn't the 3rd party I want, but I welcome Cloud in. In fact, I would be mega super happy if there was 1 more, or even 2 more DLC's being 3rd Party.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
is this real life or is this just....

...fantasy
I see what you did there...
It is actually what I always wanted Smash Bros to be.... :)

Plenty of 3rd parties, but 80-90% of all characters to be from Nintendo anyway. Now it's like, what, 7% 3rd Party?

Now imagine :4mario:,:4sonic:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4ryu:, Cloud, :snake:, Shantae, Rayman, Simon Belmont / someone else (Bayonetta.) ......
That would be awesome, but they wont be able to fight all at once.
:(
Would be even more GLORIOUS.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For the most part, I really enjoyed that Direct.

But the end? That was like finishing my ice cream and finding out there was a cockroach at the bottom of the ice cream cone the whole time.
Eww :scared:

TBH, it was the opposite for me. The Cloud announcement and the announcement of RBY being on the VC are the only things I really liked.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm really surprised.

Final Fantasy 7 was only on Playstation, and had a rerelease on PS4 with upscaled graphics.

Fun Wiki Fact:

Development of Final Fantasy VII began in 1994. The game was originally intended for release on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, but was moved to the Nintendo 64. However, since the Nintendo 64's cartridges lacked the required storage capacity, Square decided to release the game for the CD-ROM based PlayStation instead.

But Final Fantasy does have a legacy with Nintendo, Cloud was a surprising choice to represent it though, I guess Cloud is the face of the series after all.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I would comment in general my thoughts on the Direct, but I was warned before here for a non-Smash DLC related post.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another surprise, come December btw. Someone like.....Bayonetta. Maybe. Juuuust Maybe. :p

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Meh. The difference in ratios between 3rd Party and Nintendo characters will always be huge.

He isn't the 3rd party I want, but I welcome Cloud in. In fact, I would be mega super happy if there was 1 more, or even 2 more DLC's being 3rd Party.
Here's a ratio: 25 percent of the new characters in Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS are not Nintendo characters. This is including Lucina and Dark Pit who were costumes.

Well, here's the deal.
Where did Final Fantasy get its start? Nintendo. Who made what was originally going to be Square's last game into a major success? Nintendo. So this is repayment for making Final Fantasy a household name. We get Cloud, previously a PS2 exclusive, on a Nintendo console. Plus, where's the current home of Final Fantasy? Apparently on the 3DS. Where's Dragon Quest XI? On the the NX. It's simply foolproof. Cloud makes sense in a lot of ways that people wouldn't expect. And I'm sure he owned the Japanese fighter ballot. And hey, at least it's not Goku.

New main for me? I think a definite MAYBE. The moveset may be a bit of a copy from Marth, Shulk, and Link, but it's the perfect combination for a new swordfighter. His unique FF7 moves also fit well into the game, with the Limit system. This is a fighting style (unspecific to Cloud) that I've been dreaming of, and it can now be materialized.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Remember that Super Smash Bros Strife thing?

And people were like, "Cloud? he'd never get in, plus he'd just be a clone of Ike."
And now he's in…
This just proves that we can never truly predict what Sakurai is planning! But that is to be expected because… He's Sakurai

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

I think the issue I have is on principal. As I said, its like being a fan of Billzard and getting the Heavy in Heroes of the Storm. You aren't there for Team Fortress 2. You are there for Billzard. In the same way, I'm here from Smash because I want Nintendo, not Final Fantasy. And only in Smash Brothers is it consider alright to have outside characters. I feel the series is going on a dangerous path that would lead to its demise. Dramatic? A bit. But if Super Smash Brothers is about Nintendo than to keep adding outside characters makes the roster clash more and makes it more costly. It makes it less exciting to see outside characters. It degrades a roster that represents the history of a company into MUGAN. Essentially, we are one step closer to Goku and SpongeBob. "You're crazy Smashchu." Would you have said during Brawl that Cloud was getting in?

*Sees mention of Heavy from Team Fortress 2*

*Urge to post "Cry some more" picture intensifies*

EctsasyovDusk

Smash Rookie
I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by Cloud being the next DLC fighter. I'm sure I'll still have fun with the character upon release (and the stage looks pretty cool) but there are quite a few I would have preferred.

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
I'm not happy and may not purchase the character, although if it's tied to the stage I might have to as the music will be awesome. I have issues with FF and feel it's not really relevant to Nintendo anymore, and the character looks too much like a standard sword-fighter so far.

But another way of looking at it is I got :4charizard::4robinm::4lucina::4pacman::4darkpit::4drmario::4bowserjr::4feroy::4lucas: who others might question I can accept that this will make other people happy. More characters means it's less likely for me to share mains with people and that can be fun.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

The Demise of Smash Bros. would happen regardless if newer Nintendo properties keep being seen as "casual" and not taken seriously or if they never reach outside of their niche audiences (Style Savvy, Pikmin, etc.) They make the roster seem large, but a larger percentage of people don't care for those characters. I personally like the strange and obscure franchises, but when it comes to DLC its understandable they will try and cast wide nets.

I think it isn't that bad because we are getting cream of the crop gaming icons and the popular AAA characters in a way attract more people to also become familiar with the more obscure and iconic Nintendo cast- As long as the guest characters dont make up more than a quarter of the cast it honestly isn't an issue. Besides characters like Sonic, Mega-Man, (and other characters like Layton, Cooking Mama, etc.) are seen as Nintendo characters or characters that are tied heavily with Nintendo.

If anything Nintendo should try and celebrate the few third party ties they have left, because despite what critics say they are there- I personally would have gone with a more "Nintendo" Square Enix chracter, but there is no doubt this announcement will make waves. What other Gaming Icons don't they have in Smash? When those run out, then I'd be worried.

Well I have a new "most hype worthy" moment for smash. Damn this is exciting. Too bad Edea/Agnes are pretty much permanently out of the running but they never had much of a shot to begin with. Nice to see another true icon of gaming. Cant wait to play him.
:bluejump:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The plus side is, we may get a handful of Square mii costumes.
Geno and Black Mage come to mind.

I like to think this increases Snake's chances... since he's like 1) a vet 2) Konami is the last Japanese developer not in yet. 3) He can't be considered less likely than Cloud :p

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Here's a ratio: 25 percent of the new characters in Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS are not Nintendo characters. This is including Lucina and Dark Pit who were costumes.
Does it really matter that much in the end? As long as they are fun and all..... but I guess this is just subjective. Besides, 75%, the majority of DLC, are from Nintendo. :p
Also, Doc was meant to be a costume for this game too, and Alph almost became a clone like Lucina but thankfully didn't.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Demise of Smash Bros. would happen regardless if newer Nintendo properties keep being seen as "casual" and not taken seriously or if they never reach outside of their niche audiences (Style Savvy, Pikmin, etc.) They make the roster seem large, but a larger percentage of people don't care for those characters. I personally like the strange and obscure franchises, but when it comes to DLC its understandable they will try and cast wide nets.

I think it isn't that bad because we are getting cream of the crop gaming icons and the popular AAA characters in a way attract more people to also become familiar with the more obscure and iconic Nintendo cast- As long as the guest characters dont make up more than a quarter of the cast it honestly isn't an issue. Besides characters like Sonic, Mega-Man, (and other characters like Layton, Cooking Mama, etc.) are seen as Nintendo characters or characters that are tied heavily with Nintendo.

If anything Nintendo should try and celebrate the few third party ties they have left, because despite what critics say they are there- I personally would have gone with a more "Nintendo" Square Enix chracter, but there is no doubt this announcement will make waves. What other Gaming Icons don't they have in Smash? When those run out, then I'd be worried.
Let me explain: The demise I speak of is the roster becoming MUGAN. Obscure Nintendo characters may not be initially exciting, but they bring light to a different side of the company. They add something interesting, and they help represent the company's history, Because this is what the game is about. Super Smash Brothers is about celebrating Nintendo. What does Heroes of the Storm celebrate. Does it celebrate the golden age of PC gaming, or is it about Blizzard. It's the latter. That means I don't want Command and Conquer characters in Heroes of the Storm. I want Tracer, not the Scout.

The demise of Smash Brothers is because the roster and additions become meaningless. It becomes about adding "icons" and becomes a mess. MUGAN is a fan game for a reason.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Does it really matter that much in the end? As long as they are fun and all..... but I guess this is just subjective. Besides, 75%, the majority of DLC, are from Nintendo. :p
Also, Doc was meant to be a costume for this game too, and Alph almost became a clone like Lucina but thankfully didn't.
Yes because the point of Smash is Nintendo.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

I like to think this increases Snake's chances... since he's like 1) a vet 2) Konami is the last Japanese developer not in yet. 3) He can't be considered less likely than Cloud :p
*cough* Tecmo Koei *cough*
But yes, I agree it increases Snake's chances. Would love him back.
But I would also love to see a Western 3rd party character, like Rayman by Ubisoft.
And an indie, such as Shantae by Wayforward.

Call me crazy if you want....

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

This. If Cloud could get in the game given how unlikely he was perceived previously, Snake defiantly has a chance now.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Yes because the point of Smash is Nintendo.
Times are changing. It's becoming Nintendo + awesome Guests...thankfully. It brings more diversity.
Nintendo wouldn't be the same if 3rd parties did not exist to support them.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I've definitely gotten my fill of 3rd party... Nintendo, you gotta stop ignoring your missing giants... K. Rool, Wolf, among others still exist. I'm happy we have the RPG icon and everything, but srsly. We want more Nintendo stuff.

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet

This reminds me of my reaction to Snake back in 2006. I feel like Sonic works because of the history of the rivalry with SEGA followed by Sonic appearing on Nintendo consoles and with Mario at the olympics. Pac Man works because Namco helped make the game, they could have given Namco 3 reps even an obscure one and it would be fine because they are a part of this game. I even feel Mega Man works because he was notable on early Nintendo systems. But Snake, Ryu and Cloud are the sort of characters that really take away from this being a Nintendo cross over, why should smash give free advertising to other companies. The FF7 remake is not coming to WII U but they have now helped out Sony by making Cloud relevant again.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I've definitely gotten my fill of 3rd party... Nintendo, you gotta stop ignoring your missing giants... K. Rool, Wolf, among others still exist. I'm happy we have the RPG icon and everything, but srsly. We want more Nintendo stuff.
I think we should wait until that December presentation for that. I think they are saving highly requested Nintendo characters for that. Plus maybe just 1 more 3rd party. ;P

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
This better mean the FF 7 remake is coming to WIi U or NX

Last edited:

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
Wow... that reveal REALLY surprised me. I'm pretty salty over Cloud, but alot of people like him. He has alot of potential, and he looks pretty interesting.

FREESNAKE

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Times are changing. It's becoming Nintendo + awesome Guests...thankfully. It brings more diversity.
Nintendo wouldn't be the same if 3rd parties did not exist to support them.
Everything in moderation. Guest characters become boring once they become the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom