• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
What characters aren't really discussed here? I want something refreshing. Tired of same old indies/dk/3rdparty/brawl veterans...

There's not much else outside of those. Otherwise I would assume this thread would turn into a "dream DLC" thread instead of realistic discussion of possible characters.

Though at times I feel like we're going down that route...

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
What characters aren't really discussed here? I want something refreshing. Tired of same old indies/dk/3rdparty/brawl veterans...
To name a few

Rayman, Impa, Sceptile, Chibi robo, Krystal, Bomberman, Quote, etc
Everybody else is getting kind of stale, especially SK and Shantae..

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Am I the only one who has never heard nor seen anything about Shovel Knight? The only reason I know he exists is because I came here.

There's not much else outside of those. Otherwise I would assume this thread would turn into a "dream DLC" thread instead of realistic discussion of possible characters.

Though at times I feel like we're going down that route...
I don't think we'll be talking about him much anymore.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
To name a few

Rayman, Impa, Sceptile, Chibi robo, Krystal, Bomberman, Quote, etc
Everybody else is getting kind of stale, especially SK and Shantae..
Sceptile would make a great addition to smash, but with the amount of Pokemon reps in the game I doubt that it would happen.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't see the logic. >.< So what if there are clones in already.
And whats wrong with having different standard attacks than Diddy. Would look similar due to them being monkeys but would be different, especially if she uses hair to hurt.

I disagree with you completely.
The logic is in how universes are represented.
I didnt say they cannot have any standard attacks, but Dixie being Dixie means she is inherently a lot like Diddy, as far as how they play in their OWN games, and how it would be accurately portrayed in Smash.
Again, my logic expanded into a vast array of points, with the thesis involving 'World Vocabulary.' No where did I say 'they are Monkeys and need to play the same way.' Rhythm Heaven monkeys should not play anything like Diddy just because they are apes. That isn't the point at all.
...and of course Dixie would use her hair. In fact, the prime example I had to fill my example above, is 'like Diddy, but fights and floats with her hair. That's what she is in the DK universe, it would be disproportionate to her character* to claim the MECHANICS OF THE HOME UNIVERSE** (The biggest influence in majority of the characters' movesets) are thrown out the window.

*There are things that are more and less important to characters. The Paintbrush of Bowser Jrs, for example, is one tool in one game. It was a ridiculous choice for an entire move set because it doesnt represent the character, it is just one small part of him. A moveset with the Inklings that ignores the benefit of inking the ground, or turning into a squid, or over emphasis the sub weapons, misappropriates the important parts of the character. With Dixie, yes, she uses her hair. However, this cannot be an entire move set. If it were her only means of doing anything in Smash, it doesn't show us the Dixie we know from DKC. An amalgamation of her differences (the bubble gum, hair, Guitar, whatever else) might all be accurate, but the overall representation of the characters would be lost. Diddy and Dixie are so in line with each other, they were almost a tag team. Making them too different just to make a character unique destroys the integrity of what is Dixie.

**Mechanics of the universe are represented in every character. Sakurai once stated he wants Smash Bros, as much as possible, to feel as though the characters were plucked from their home universes and put into this game (he said this in reference to a Megaman response, I can quote if needed). The only ones who don't are amalgamations of their entire universe (Mr Game and Watch, Pacman, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt). Dixie is not an amalgamation of her universe, as she is going to theoretically be brought into the game alongside at least Diddy and Donkey. She must fit in her place among side them, congruently. It does not mean that they must be exact replicas, obviously- but they, as we have seen with other characters who could have taken on drastic playstyle differences (the three groups I said above), this is not how Sakurai handles it. That doesn't represent the essence of the universe. It is of course up to the individual to decide what feels like the universe being brought into Smash- but I can assuredly state a Diddy and Dixie as different as Samus and Zero Suit Samus just doesn't fit with what the characters are in their own games.

D

Deleted member

What about Spyro the Dragon, and Crash Bandicoot? Very unlikely but would be cool.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So how happy/sad would you be if Rayman was the only 3rd party/indie (grouping 2 together) character?

Me: Pretty Happy. I LOVE Rayman. Would be a bit sad about others I want as well like Shantae but Rayman is like, the other half of my childhood's characters list who could get into Smash.. (Pacman is the first half.)

Because Crash or that Kangaroo in Boxing gloves ain't happening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What about Spyro the Dragon, and Crash Bandicoot? Very unlikely but would be cool.
As pleased as I would be if they somehow did make it in (I do, however, think they're better off in PlayStation All-Stars), I think the fact that they're so unlikely is one of the reasons why they aren't discussed often.

D

Deleted member

I'd be fine with it. And happy Rayman is a great third party choice.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
The only 3rd party I support (or character in general tbh) is Phoenix Wright, but I know he is unlikely, (being 3rd party, not iconic like other 3rd parties and 3rd Capcom rep) so I don't get my hopes too high. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see other characters. As you've mentioned before, Rayman would be a really nice addition, and he would be a totally fitting inclusion. The only cons I can find about him is Ubisoft. I don't like at all the decisions they've made this past years. Good thing Michel Ancel compensates that.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So how happy/sad would you be if Rayman was the only 3rd party/indie (grouping 2 together) character?

Me: Pretty Happy. I LOVE Rayman. Would be a bit sad about others I want as well like Shantae but Rayman is like, the other half of my childhood's characters list who could get into Smash.. (Pacman is the first half.)

I'd be pretty happy, other than maybe Bayonetta or a second Sonic rep I wouldn't really want any other 3rd parties

Well Rayman himself is pretty cool so that would be nice. And as for the other 3rd arty characters I care about. . . they don't have a chance anyway (Agnes Oblige, Phenix Wright) so it's pretty much the best case scenario for me if Rayman was our only 3rd party.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

I'd be the happiest man alive.

The problem is that the ones that aren't discussed tend to be the ones nobody wants.
This is why we need some serious wordsmiths. people able to get people to think of another option. We so rarely are able to get newcomers to the smash speculation scene. Other than Inklings and Indies its pretty much been the same characters over and over again.

We need people to convince others that there are more options than we believe. .. because there are. Ganon, Wonder Red, Agnes, Viridi I dont care. We just need someone new to talk about without it becoming a silly bandwagon. . . Too bad it's too late to drum up support anyway.

I'd be quite happy, while I'd rather not have any more third-parties as DLC, especially if there's only three left (Black Mage and Bomberman would be cool though), I played Rayman games a lot as a kid, he would be an unique character and he is better choice for Smash than lot of the other third-parties imo, and him being the only 3rd party added would rule out many third-parties that I'm against.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd be pretty happy, I don't really want any more third parties but I do like Rayman a lot as a character, so personally, it'd be nice to get him and even better to have the assurance that the other characters are all from Nintendo.

Also, uh, speaking of characters never brought up, Dark Matter from Kirby has always confused me, the guy's got credentials rivaling that of K. Rool's and a sizable fanbase outside of Smash Bros yet apparently nobody wants him? Can someone care to explain to me why nobody wants him, there's probably some glaringly obvious answer but it's honestly been super confusing to me?:confused:

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Am I crazy for thinking that if Phoenix Wright had rumours akin to the indie duo, that he would be just as popular (if not, more so) as they are now?

The series seems really popular to Smash fans, but nobody seems to vote for him.

Not to mention he has much better merits as a third party than they do.

Edit: why am I using the British spelling for rumor

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS I SUPPORT:

The big timers with aesthetic win:
-Bomberman
-Rayman
-Banjo Kazooie

The group that is associated with Nintendo:
-Professor Layton
-Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
-Cooking Mama

The door Ryu Opened:
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
-Aiai (Monkeyball)
-Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Minecraft Steve (Is the only Indie I think has enough video game history)
-Snake (the veteran)
-Spyro the Dragon
-Crash Bandicoot
-Frogger
-Cloud (Final Fantasy)
-I'm not ruling out Mickey Mouse.

Sceptile would make a great addition to smash, but with the amount of Pokemon reps in the game I doubt that it would happen.
Youre right, we are still two short of what we should be getting: Eight.
So it would have to be Sceptile PLUS another.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Am I crazy for thinking that if Phoenix Wright had rumours akin to the indie duo, that he would be just as popular (if not, more so) as they are now?

The series seems really popular to Smash fans, but nobody seems to vote for him.

I'm under the impression that leaks boost popularity, even when their fake, I don't remember Inklings being called the 2nd most likely character until the leaks happened anyways, so I feel like you'd probably be right that he'd get nearly as popular as them :p.

D

Deleted member

I love Pokemon my third favourite game series after Super Mario, and Legend if Zelda and ahead of Super Smash Bros. which is fourth and Mario Kart fifth. But we don't need more Pokemon.

How about Lloyd Irving? I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia would love if he got in.

This is why we need some serious wordsmiths. people able to get people to think of another option. We so rarely are able to get newcomers to the smash speculation scene. Other than Inklings and Indies its pretty much been the same characters over and over again.

We need people to convince others that there are more options than we believe. .. because there are. Ganon, Wonder Red, Agnes, Viridi I dont care. We just need someone new to talk about without it becoming a silly bandwagon. . . Too bad it's too late to drum up support anyway.
How about Medusa or Hades from Kid Icarus? I wanted them both since before the game released but every time I ever brought it up I was bombarded with "KID ICARUS HAS TOO MUCH REPRESENTATION IN SMASH ALREADY HURR DURR NEED RIDLEY". But seriously Hades and Medusa are two characters I would buy in a heartbeat.

pokemon is one of the biggest series in existence. IT can afford as many characters it wants without being "overrepped." Same for Mario.

He actually is popular in or two circles apparently (gamefaqs and Neogaf iif I remember correctly)

But if he had a leak backing him up? I guarantee everyone would be talking about him. People talk about Wayforward's history with Nintendo. Phoenix has been on GBA, DS, 3ds, and Wii U and has sold a hell of a lot more.

How about Medusa or Hades from Kid Icarus? I wanted them both since before the game released but every time I ever brought it up I was bombarded with "KID ICARUS HAS TOO MUCH REPRESENTATION IN SMASH ALREADY HURR DURR NEED RIDLEY". But seriously Hades and Medusa are two characters I would buy in a heartbeat.
(Irony of just saying we should have more diversity and then putting down options)
Sorry, but as the owner of the Viridi thread and an avid supporter of her, Medusa and Hades would make me sad. It has nothing to do with wanting other series representation (I have shown my distaste for repping enough.. . although I do really want Ridley) it's just I can't stop my bias from clouding my opinion.

Scythe/staff+nature powers+claws+palm lasers+not being dead>all

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
The whole "Too many Pokémon" argument is really not an excuse, more like an opinion.

There was originally going to be 8 Pokémon in Brawl, and we have 6. Would 1 more really hurt? Apparently yeah.

I'm not going to start an argument about this but keep this in mind, are YOU the one developing the game? No. "Overrepresentation" is indeed allowed in Smash, just look at the Mario and Fire Emblem franchise.

Whatever, It's not like Sceptile had much of a chance anyways....

pokemon is one of the biggest series in existence. IT can afford as many characters it wants without being "overrepped." Same for Mario.

He actually is popular in or two circles apparently (gamefaqs and Neogaf iif I remember correctly)

But if he had a leak backing him up? I guarantee everyone would be talking about him. People talk about Wayforward's history with Nintendo. Phoenix has been on GBA, DS, 3ds, and Wii U and has sold a hell of a lot more.

(Irony of just saying we should have more diversity and then putting down options)
Sorry, but as the owner of the Viridi thread and an avid supporter of her, Medusa and Hades would make me sad. It has nothing to do with wanting other series representation (I have shown my distaste for repping enough.. . although I do really want Ridley) it's just I can't stop my bias from clouding my opinion.

Scythe/staff+nature powers+claws+palm lasers+not being dead>all
The bombardment I was referring to was from the smash bros sub-reddit but anyway, I would absolutely LOVE Viridi in Smash but I just personally feel that once a Mii costume is made for a character that's not already playable it's a silent way of saying that character won't be playable. I know nobody ever said that's a rule but it just seems that way to me (which is why I don't see K.Rool being playable).

Last edited:
"Overrepresentation"
I find it extremely ironic to call Nintendo's mascot franchise and another gigantic series overrepped while advocating for more pokemon. Not because they are both overrepped (i just said I believe the opposite) but for the double standard.

Both are absolutely gigantic franchises that are Nintendo in its most essential form. They can both have as much as they damn want they are that big. Saying one can be overrepped and the other isn't is silly to me.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'd have no problem for Rayman's inclusion (Since I voted for him too). I guess you could place him pretty high on my top10, thanks to my enjoyment of the games like Hoodlum Havoc and Rayman Legends, where you can easily make a Smash Bros style moveset for him. I'd love to see him, not to mention it'd be great to see him promoted from a Trophy to a real fighter. ...Though I wonder how consistent his support was throughout the Ballot's lifecycle. I imagine it'd being pretty consistent.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't have problems with characters representation... But needs put something special with the additional characters...

Anyway the franchises with the least problems with the representation are the two Nintendo Big Ones (Mario and Pokémon). Probably if K. Rool/Dixie Kong was already in the game, nobody could really care about these franchises getting 7 or even 8 playable characters.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd have no problem for Rayman's inclusion (Since I voted for him too). I guess you could place him pretty high on my top10, thanks to my enjoyment of the games like Hoodlum Havoc and Rayman Legends, where you can easily make a Smash Bros style moveset for him. I'd love to see him, not to mention it'd be great to see him promoted from a Trophy to a real fighter. ...Though I wonder how consistent his support was throughout the Ballot's lifecycle. I imagine it'd being pretty consistent.
I think if we're getting any 3rd Parties at all through the Ballot. Rayman's probably the most likely thanks to two things: 1. You already mentioned that but Rayman already has a presence in the game through the trophies he has, while I know that more had to do that in an odd situation Nintendo of Japan partially owns Rayman and everywhere else he's 3rd Party. It's nonetheless something I think that gives Rayman an advantage. It helps that aside from Roy and Ryu. We've seen trophy to character promotions already. and 2. That Rayman leak by Artsy Omni wasn't too long before the start of the Ballot. Many people who were upset about that may have taken to the polls.

The April Fools issue of EGM that said Sonic (And Tails) was unlockable in Melee probably played some part in eventually getting Sonic in Brawl. So I could see history repeating here (In less time I imagine but nonetheless)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Clearly we're missing the big game that'll be getting the ultimate promotion in Smash

Everyone knows Fashion is the ultimate fighting technique
Come call me when YOU can move all the clothes on a clothes rack from side to side with a single hand. (If you remember that scene from the Suit Life of Zack and Cody)
Matching solid Solid 24k Gold bracelets at all times.
And the latest in heel fashion? T̴he͢ bloo͝d̴ ͟of ̷y̴ou͠r҉ ͟en͢e̵mi̡es̡

Get on my fashion level skrubs.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We should be getting 8 Pokemon? I was not aware that we needed that much.
Stay tuned for my SourceGaming article which discusses the current representation of Pokemon.
Now, "Should," is a pretty vehement term. I just tend to go overboard to the general fan consensus of Smash Bros forum-goers that we have enough Pokemon (and proper series representation), but it is often the same people who speak out for more Fire Emblem.

Some short points:
  • This is the first game of Smash we did not get 2 Pokemon newcomers (in regard to total characters currently in the game). We had 2 (ssb64), then 4 (melee), 6 (Brawl), and then... 5 (initially) for Smash 4.
  • It is the series with the most options for characters, just with the Pocket Monsters alone. Add in the many other characters, and we are over 1000 in options.
  • This is similar to Animal Crossing. Yet, AC is represented NOT with the popular characters, but rather with the protagonist we play as being an amalgamation of other aspects of the game. Pokemon and AC are handled in inverse ways in Smash.
  • Pokemon is the series in Smash with the most cut reps. If anyone truly gave a **** about 'veterans,' they could not ignore the fact that we had 5 cut veterans from the Pokemon series, with only one having been brought back. Two of the ones still missing from Smash 4 are 2 of the only veterans to have completely unique move sets.
  • The three cut Brawl Pokemon characters (I count Trainer in this for a variety of reasons) are all Nintendo All Stars, without question more recognizable to a larger amount of people than two of the current four DLC (and much of the roster).
  • Pokemon is second in regard to legacy in video games. Not just sales, it was classified as a phenomenon... I will explicate on this if you desire, but in short, the impact Pokemon had on pop culture is comparable only from Mario's franchise.
  • Pokemon will sell. No matter what. It is a series which has made more money in merchandise than maybe even Mario. It also rivals Mario in the number of spinoffs it has in its repertoire.

This does not touch on how the current Pokemon are not at all a representation of the series, and that the, "essence of Pokemon," a phrase Sakurai coined for Robin's inclusion as a Fire Emblem character, is not in Smash 4.
Pokemon has everything going for it; it is immensely popular, there are a plethora of characters to choose from, was lacking in new content for Smash 4, nearly unlimited source material to utilize for characterization, and is guaranteed to make money as DLC. It also has both ALL STAR veterans and new characters from which to pick.

There are only two things in the way of Pokemon:
1- The Pokemon Company is difficult with which to work. They prefer to represent the anime above the games (source available).
2- The vocal Smash boards' perception which often claims Pokemon has enough content
(not that this speaks much for actual Smash players).

I don't have problems with characters representation... But needs put something special with the additional characters...

Anyway the franchises with the least problems with the representation are the two Nintendo Big Ones (Mario and Pokémon). Probably if K. Rool/Dixie Kong was already in the game, nobody could really care about these franchises getting 7 or even 8 playable characters.
I'm not sure what the part I bolded was intended to say.
Additionally, even if Pokemon has 6 characters in the game, it damn well has an immense problem with how it is represented. The quality of the representation of Pokemon in Smash Bros serves nothing of the actual franchise. The way Pokemon is represented now, it seems as though Sakurai has never played a single Pokemon game at all.
  • Generic summons are the only item (since the first game, no other items at all).
  • Every character chosen, except Pikachu and Mewtwo, are in due to popularity.
  • It is the one series to not have its protagonist present.
  • It has the most cut characters, of which are some of the actual missing Nintendo All Stars.
  • Greninja's moveset was literally pulled out of Sakurai's ass with no regard to the character at all.
  • We dont even have the shiny versions (the only 2nd coloring Pokemon actually come in) as palette swaps.
  • The movesets of the characters are unique, sure... but with a different skin, could be nearly any other character from another series. Aside from Lucario's aura technique, none of the characters represent anything special about the series.
  • The essence of the franchise is no where to be seen. Nothing on strategic battling, on capturing them all, on training. These are the core tenants of Pokemon; all vacant.
Pokemon may have six characters, but to say it is well represented, is absolute malarkey. I'd argue it is one of the most poorly represented series, despite being well repped in Brawl (given what was possible) then, and that roster alone was a better representation than the current one.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Stay tuned for my SourceGaming article which discusses the current representation of Pokemon.
Now, "Should," is a pretty vehement term. I just tend to go overboard to the general fan consensus of Smash Bros forum-goers that we have enough Pokemon (and proper series representation), but it is often the same people who speak out for more Fire Emblem.

Some short points:
  • This is the first game of Smash we did not get 2 Pokemon newcomers (in regard to total characters currently in the game). We had 2 (ssb64), then 4 (melee), 6 (Brawl), and then... 5 (initially) for Smash 4.
  • It is the series with the most options for characters, just with the Pocket Monsters alone. Add in the many other characters, and we are over 1000 in options.
  • This is similar to Animal Crossing. Yet, AC is represented NOT with the popular characters, but rather with the protagonist we play as being an amalgamation of other aspects of the game. Pokemon and AC are handled in inverse ways in Smash.
  • Pokemon is the series in Smash with the most cut reps. If anyone truly gave a **** about 'veterans,' they could not ignore the fact that we had 5 cut veterans from the Pokemon series, with only one having been brought back. Two of the ones still missing from Smash 4 are 2 of the only veterans to have completely unique move sets.
  • The three cut Brawl Pokemon characters (I count Trainer in this for a variety of reasons) are all Nintendo All Stars, without question more recognizable to a larger amount of people than two of the current four DLC (and much of the roster).
  • Pokemon is second in regard to legacy in video games. Not just sales, it was classified as a phenomenon... I will explicate on this if you desire, but in short, the impact Pokemon had on pop culture is comparable only from Mario's franchise.
  • Pokemon will sell. No matter what. It is a series which has made more money in merchandise than maybe even Mario. It also rivals Mario in the number of spinoffs it has in its repertoire.

This does not touch on how the current Pokemon are not at all a representation of the series, and that the, "essence of Pokemon," a phrase Sakurai coined for Robin's inclusion as a Fire Emblem character, is not in Smash 4.
Pokemon has everything going for it; it is immensely popular, there are a plethora of characters to choose from, was lacking in new content for Smash 4, nearly unlimited source material to utilize for characterization, and is guaranteed to make money as DLC. It also has both ALL STAR veterans and new characters from which to pick.

There are only two things in the way of Pokemon:
1- The Pokemon Company is difficult with which to work. They prefer to represent the anime above the games (source available).
2- The vocal Smash boards' perception which often claims Pokemon has enough content
(not that this speaks much for actual Smash players).

I'm not sure what the part I bolded was intended to say.
Additionally, even if Pokemon has 6 characters in the game, it damn well has an immense problem with how it is represented. The quality of the representation of Pokemon in Smash Bros serves nothing of the actual franchise. The way Pokemon is represented now, it seems as though Sakurai has never played a single Pokemon game at all.
  • Generic summons are the only item (since the first game, no other items at all).
  • Every character chosen, except Pikachu and Mewtwo, are in due to popularity.
  • It is the one series to not have its protagonist present.
  • It has the most cut characters, of which are some of the actual missing Nintendo All Stars.
  • Greninja's moveset was literally pulled out of Sakurai's *** with no regard to the character at all.
  • We dont even have the shiny versions (the only 2nd coloring Pokemon actually come in) as palette swaps.
  • The movesets of the characters are unique, sure... but with a different skin, could be nearly any other character from another series. Aside from Lucario's aura technique, none of the characters represent anything special about the series.
  • The essence of the franchise is no where to be seen. Nothing on strategic battling, on capturing them all, on training. These are the core tenants of Pokemon; all vacant.
Pokemon may have six characters, but to say it is well represented, is absolute malarkey. I'd argue it is one of the most poorly represented series, despite being well repped in Brawl (given what was possible) then, and that roster alone was a better representation than the current one.
Greninja's moveset not represented well? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but...

Neutral B - Water shuriken
Side B - Shadow Sneak
Up B - Hydro pump
Final Smash - Night Slash
Up tilt - Lick
The rest of his moves come from Greninja being a Ninja Pokémon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Greninja's moveset not represented well? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but...

Neutral B - Water shuriken
Side B - Shadow Sneak
Up B - Hydro pump
Final Smash - Night Slash
Up tilt - Lick
I think the premise of looking at a design and coming up with the moves from it is an a point blank disrespectful means to decide upon how a character will play. The fact that Sakurai admits to doing this with Greninja makes me wonder where else he has cut some corners (despite the claims that everything is done so thoroughly, obviously there are examples where it does not). It also makes me wonder how respectfully he actually believes he treats the characters, concerning the many times he has stated that he wants the characters to be true to themselves and to their source games.

Also, I do not tend to care what a move is named. That is just a marketing technique. Calling his Up B "Hydro Pump" is a mockery of the move, which is supposed to be one of the most powerful water based moves. The visual of it, looking nothing like the move either, only proves my point further.

The rest of his moves come from Greninja being a Ninja Pokémon.
This, too, is not a proper way to decide anything about how a character should play- certainly not the entire premise of how she plays. If he did this with Fire Emblem characters, they literally all would just be swordfighters. He claims to take time to look into the games, and represent the characters in an honest and thoughtful way.
Seeing a design of a Ninja and saying "Cool I'll do ninja stuff," is in bad taste. It perfectly epitomizes the hapless way which the Pokemon series is treated in Smash Bros 4.
Can you imagine if Mario were just given moves as a 'plumber?' It's clear Jigglypuff is heavily based on just being a Balloon (that Kirby based movement had never been seen anywhere by Jigglypuff... it was something he made up entirely. Fortunately since, we have seen Wigglytuff use this fighting technique, but likely, due to- or at least inspired by- how Jigglypuff is used in Smash Bros. Meanwhile, Sing- the one differentiating and iconic move of Jigglypuff, might as well be ignored in the moveset, given how useless it is. Instead, the fact that she is a balloon dominates anything about the character which we have actually seen in the game. Instead of a legitimate Final Smash, she just freakin' inflates! Way to go with that dramatugical work, Sakurai.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We got 4 new Pokemon in Brawl. Pokemon Trainer is not a character you literally play as. Sakurai has outright said that Brawl has 39 playable characters. We only got two new Pokemon slots in Brawl. Slot does not equal character.

We've had 6 playable characters during Brawl, with 2 cut from Melee. There is nothing that suggests Pichu was going to return like Mewtwo was. In addition, there is no telling what Pra_Mai actually was, which means Brawl was intended(that we can say for sure with the information we actually have) to have 7 Pokemon, and 5 Mario characters, respectively. Same with 3 DK(as Dixie has her own unique file), 3 Fire Emblem, and 7 Zelda characters.

In addition, Greninja had nothing to do with popularity. Sakurai chose him before he fully existed, by looking at his beta design. He outright said this as well. Greninja just happened to have gained popularity before he was announced.

Mewtwo was never "high priority" for Sakurai. He was intended to be in 64, but time constraints took their toll. Jigglypuff was simply easier to put in due to having a similar body shape to Kirby, making her basically a semi-clone(sharing a lot of similarities, but still quite unique. Wolf actually was more unique than her, interestingly enough). They had enough time to throw him in Melee. Then Brawl came around, and he clearly didn't get in, but had work done on him. And we know what happened in 4. He was worked on really late in development, as he had no more than a model. We don't know if he was literally started after 4's Wii U release or not, although Sakurai did say they waited till after, but I may be misremembering that bit.

In addition, slots = characters only was accurate during Smash 64, when it was impossible to change to another character in-game. Transformations simply didn't exist. Smash 4 is very awkard about this, due to Alts and how every Mii is literally more than one character in a single slot(you choose the slot, then choose which "costume" to play as).

IMO, I think what Pokemon is ultimately missing is stages. It has an excellent all-star cast right now, with movesets based often upon both the Anime and the Games, which is a pretty good representation of the series as a whole, again, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom