• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I like this. But I'm going into this with a where the chips fall where they may kind of mindset. Anything is good for me. I agree some of the characters you listed are likely, but as we've seen time and again , nothing is guaranteed until it's confirmed.
That's true though i'm very hopeful for Isaac if there's going to be DLC characters in 2016.

Who knows? Maybe there's going to be an announcement of 2 extra characters on top of Cloud in a release similar to Lucas/Roy/Ryu and then if were even more lucky, Sakurai could do a Mewtwo-esque reveal for all the Ballot winners to generate a crazy amount of hype.

Speaking of which, this is how I predict the December announcement to go down. Obviously, it's not going to be exactly the same but it's just how I think the event will go down.

- Wolf is revealed
- Sakurai talks about Wolf as well as his popularity and whatnot
- Sakurai explains why Cloud is in the game and other stuff about him
- Adventure mode announced
- Stages galore
- Amiibo stuff
- Mii Fighter costumes galore
- Last pre-ballot newcomer is revealed
- Sakurai discusses the revealed character
- All the ballot winners are announced the same way Mewtwo was an are set to be released at E3 2016
- The 3 characters, stages, and all that other stuff are released right away. Adventure Mode is given a Febuary/March release window to be completed

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm just gonna stop predicting anything and hope our ballot thoughts are somewhat aligned. Sakurai is clearly on a totally different wavelength than any of us.

Wow.
If I get Snake and Wolf I will largely stop caring and just love everything else we get.

If I get K. Rool too, I will totally stop caring and just love everything else we get.

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
Kinda off topic but relevant due to recent news... I really hope that this deal brings a return of Square to Nintendo in a big way, the MMO has been doing wonders for some of the fan base, but a lot 90's RPG fans I believe are not satisfied with the long term development cycle of RPG's on the current generation of consoles. If you're going to make large scale story driven games, the 3DS in its current state is a perfect platform. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Bravely Default have been incredibly successful games and I would love to see SquareEnix start developing some original titles for it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And just as I make my previous post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvgmfBKogY

That could possibly mean that were probably only going to get 2 more characters on top of Cloud before DLC ends. Strangely fits what i've been saying for a long time about DLC ending at the end of 2015.

If this is the case, what do you guys want to see be the last 2 DLC characters announced?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Is anybody else kinda ready for speculation to be dead? As much as I love it, it's gone on long enough I think.
Dude this wild ride has been amazing. The DLC has given us virtually every veteran people want (except Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers, and 1 of those is all but confirmed and another is very likely), the two most wanted potential 3rd party newcomers, and a whole lot of amazing stages.

Speculation is fun because you come up with theories, make ideas for characters, stages, and gameplay of all kinds of stuff, and digest things in the past and present. It really is amazing to do when you let it be fun. The fact Smash mods exist added another dimension to the awesome potential of Smash speculation and theorycrafting.

For that reason, speculation never dies, and I have refused to let it die in my heart so long as there

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
(deleted post)

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
lol all this salt from people whining 'muh Nintendo allstars!' when we got Roy in Melee. Roy wasn't an allstar back then and still isn't
I know, right? Some people just refuse to be pleased. It's ok to not like certain characters, but damn.

....But I suppose that's what makes some Directs worthwhile. What's a good Direct without a bit of salt at the end?:troll:

Anyway, here's hoping we get some juicy goodness in December. Go Wolf!:wolf:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So about Cloud, I think it's possible he's actually a ballot character, he was doing pretty well in Japan.

Now though, let's assume this is partially the reason he got in. In that case, what does this tell us? I think It tells us that Japan's results matter a lot more than the rest of the world for Nintendo, which means characters that do well only in Japan like Magolor and Jibanyan are a lot more likely than originally assumed. Do you guys think that's possible?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
And just as I make my previous post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvgmfBKogY

That could possibly mean that were probably only going to get 2 more characters on top of Cloud before DLC ends. Strangely fits what i've been saying for a long time about DLC ending at the end of 2015.

If this is the case, what do you guys want to see be the last 2 DLC characters announced?
No way in the world. Sm4sh DLC will continue at least until NX is released (which is soon anyway). It'll go for at least the entirety of 2016. They probably just started working on the Ballot characters (I expect them at E3).

D

Deleted member

Couple of thoughts. First Nintendo great job this was an incredible Nintendo Direct and you hit a home run. Your my favourite video game and company company because of being fun, innovative,and wise. The nice shout out to Satora Iwata was touching and nice. He 's gone but not forgotten he lives in are hearts forever! The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD was fun. Star Fox Zero looked great, Fire Emblem Birthright and Conquest was awesome. And I loved the shout out out to Yo- Kai Watch charming, humorous, and full of personality. 10/10 great game.

As for Cloud? Famous and recognizable character. Great addition welcome to Super Smash Bros. Cloud.

Looking forward to Smash presentation in December.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Kinda off topic but relevant due to recent news... I really hope that this deal brings a return of Square to Nintendo in a big way, the MMO has been doing wonders for some of the fan base, but a lot 90's RPG fans I believe are not satisfied with the long term development cycle of RPG's on the current generation of consoles. If you're going to make large scale story driven games, the 3DS in its current state is a perfect platform. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Bravely Default have been incredibly successful games and I would love to see SquareEnix start developing some original titles for it.
I hope so as well, or least on the NX, no wait, FF got to be back to the NX, I'm okay they still release games on PS4 while releasing on the NX as well though.

And okay, my brother who watches the Japanese Direct told me the Japanese Direct actually says that the December Smash Bros broadcast will be the last special presentation for Smash Wii U/3DS, not sure if this means there will be no major updates... so I'm not gonna make a thread about this yet.

Or this could just tells us that there will no more Smash focus presentations when they announce new characters?

D

Deleted member

K. Rool is the most requested character in Japan? Weird since he's not Japanese. Let's hope.
I hope King K. Rool standing on the Gangplank Galleon coming to Smash is one of the things we see in December. But we'll see!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope King K. Rool standing on the Gangplank Galleon coming to Smash is one of the things we see in December. But we'll see!
Like really. At this point, am thinking we'll see Goku and Naturo in this game before King K.Rool, one of Nintendo's more iconic and long standing villians in one of their biggest and even FIRST actual franchise. Seriously, all I was hoping for was more Nintendo content instead of Sakurai's shifting priorities to just about ANYTHING third party related...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So about Cloud, I think it's possible he's actually a ballot character, he was doing pretty well in Japan.

Now though, let's assume this is partially the reason he got in. In that case, what does this tell us? I think It tells us that Japan's results matter a lot more than the rest of the world for Nintendo, which means characters that do well only in Japan like Magolor and Jibanyan are a lot more likely than originally assumed. Do you guys think that's possible?
Hey Isaac was just below him in that "poll", maybe he has a good chance?:p

Please let me dream!:p

Troykv

Smash Master

When Cloud was revealed, I remembered this picture.

And also I remember than Micaiah and Viridi appears in Top 25/26 in the complete list.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

Well, 17 place is somewhat remarkable, but still not that high. Certainly not enough to convince an initially neutral or even reluctant Sakurai. So considering that, and that Cloud seems to be almost complete, I think it's safe to say that it was a Sakurai idea, and that the deal beetween Square Enix and Nintendo was sealed at least shortly before Ryu was released, if not even before.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I was sort of considering the stars/ space at the start of the direct to be intentionally getting us to think Wolf.
Also the brawl music at the end.

Also here's a tweet. translated by google. unrelated to the rest of this post.

OH MY, what does this mean for Bandana Dee?

Last edited:

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Not before he stops at the Scuttle Town port and accidentally gains a half-genie stowaway.

... Bad joke. Sorry.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I must say it's getting really pretty annoying seeing people lumped cloud together with goku and naruto just because the character design cloud has resembles the ones you see only in anime/ manga and that their chances in being in smash are much higher now.

Are these people using their eyes correctly anymore when comparing and contrasting what is truly anime and what is truly video games only?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I must say it's getting really pretty annoying seeing people lumped cloud together with goku and naruto just because the character design cloud has resembles the ones you see only in anime/ manga and that their chances in being in smash now are much higher now.

Are these people using their eyes correctly anymore when comparing and contrasting what is truly anime and what is truly video games only?
Nah, people are lumping them together because Cloud was considered almost completely impossible. Now people don't know what to think is and isn't possible. I think they're overreacting, but their concern has nothing to do with appearance.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Nah, people are lumping them together because Cloud was considered almost completely impossible. Now people don't know what to think is and isn't possible. I think they're overreacting, but their concern has nothing to do with appearance.
Ah,I see.I do understand their disappointment though but their reactions just seems like a really bad joke. I'm surprise it even started trending in the first place.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Lara isn't as important as Ryu (not even close; I don't think people realize how iconic or important Ryu and the series he represents is to video games) but definitely is more than Cloud (by miles).

The difference with Cloud is that his series is huge, has incredible history with Nintendo, and is so much bigger than Tomb Raider. Nintendo also has a deal for Dragon Quest, and I imagine this is going to help them land Final Fantasy VII's remake on the NX.

Honestly... Lara Croft would make sense down the line, but as the cards stack up now, I think she should be held off as a possibility. In the future she is definitely worth considering.

Right now I think the only potential non-Nintendo owned additions worth considering now are Snake first and foremost and then Banjo (if possible), Simon Belmont (for similar reasons to Mega Man; he's like an adopted Nintendo character), and of course Rayman.
So I'm curious for your opinion on chances of Wolf getting in, and the appeal thereof.

I'd think with the upcoming SF game (give or take if you like what you've seen so far), Nintendo would release Wolf as a way to promote the games release. SF Zero is coming out this holiday season, the last direct concerning Smash is coming out in December, put the two and two together and you get the likelihood of Wolf. The timing couldn't be better.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Well, 17 place is somewhat remarkable, but still not that high. Certainly not enough to convince an initially neutral or even reluctant Sakurai. So considering that, and that Cloud seems to be almost complete, I think it's safe to say that it was a Sakurai idea, and that the deal beetween Square Enix and Nintendo was sealed at least shortly before Ryu was released, if not even before.
Makes sense. Though, I'd wait for confirmation before just dismissing Cloud as a Ballot choice.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Watch some guy set up a voting bot to get Cloud in smash.
Sakurai doesn't understand the salt, "but everyone wanted him".
Everyones just standing around confused, "Did you vote for him? I didn't vote for him"

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm upset about Cloud because his moveset seems very similar to a combination of :4shulk: and :4feroy:/:4myfriends: for his core moves (judging from watching the trailer through 3 times) and add :4megaman:'s down tilt. For his specials? Presumably down b is Limit Break, Neutral B is Blade beam which some people asked for with :4feroy: anyways, side B is Cross Edge which... I still don't get how it works, and then Up B is Climmhazard which seems most comparable with :4dedede:'s, honestly and he doesn't seem to have something huge that he adds.

I'm upset that for Final Fantasy, instead of getting someone associated with the Nintendo age, we got the poster boy for the Sony era of the series. I'm upset that for a series which has a huge pool of magical possibilities to add to a roster who's "mages" consist of :4zelda::4palutena: and Pokemon, we got a somewhat typical but standard Swordmaster and his stage shows off more of what I love about the series than the character.

I'm upset that the last non-indie 3rd Party character I truly wanted to ever see in Smash, one of my top 5 most wanted to see period, is now punted into tier of likelihood of Master Chief and at best maybe by Smash 6 we'll be allowed multiple characters from the same third party franchise and maybe Black Mage can see the light of day.

And, honestly, I'm upset that I was right that the matters to construct a 3rd Party character would throw a massive wrench into development time for a team that we've been told repeatedly is not long for standing at this point and once was still done..... for him. That this is what they have to show for this drought of information we've waited through. Like with :4mewtwo:, I was right on the reasoning about what they'd need for development but not that they would appear anyways, being incredibly hyping for most but a character I truly found myself unable to be hyped for. Except, with Mewtwo, he was at least a veteran.

Edit: Am I being childish? Damn well likely, but I feel like I have some good reasons to be.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something tells me that, like Ryu, Cloud was probably planned before the Ballot. Keep in mind that the Roy/Ryu leak back in the Spring already had an extra character placeholder and that two more character placeholders were added in August.

D

Deleted member

Something tells me that, like Ryu, Cloud was probably planned before the Ballot. Keep in mind that the Roy/Ryu leak back in the Spring already had an extra character placeholder and that two more character placeholders were added in August.
Actually, it's the other way around; There were two extra placeholders in Spring and one extra was added later.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If Cloud is the ballot choice, there had to have been a metric ****ton of FF fans spamming votes for him across the globe, because otherwise I cannot see him being so popular as to literally crush all of the competition.

I mean, yeah he's popular, but he isn't going to curbstomp someone like King K.Rool in terms of votes since the majority of Cloud's fans don't really seem to be into Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's probably near the end. Keep in mind guys that the game has been supported with DLC for nearly a year so, aside from patches, the DLC bomb coming in December will probably be the last major one. We've been on Sakurai's wild ride for nearly 3 years so it has to come to an end sometime.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Apparently, I found something interesting about the future of DLC in Smash by Gamexplain. I'll leave the link in the description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvgmfBKogY

What do you guys think about this?
I don't think it's necessarily "The End", although they could speak of what their plans are for the remainder of development. I just think it's the last time they'll have a special event dedicated to Smash Bros, and the remaining DLC will be added over the course of the next few months.

EDIT: I think we're at least getting three characters post-Cloud, so there can be DLC Character pack #1 and #2 with an equal number of characters in each. But I would bet that there is a maximum of 1 more newcomer, and the other two characters are Wolf and some other vet, or perhaps Dixie Kong because she can pull assets from Diddy making her development easier.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm upset about Cloud because his moveset seems very similar to a combination of :4shulk: and :4feroy:/:4myfriends: for his core moves (judging from watching the trailer through 3 times) and add :4megaman:'s down tilt. For his specials? Presumably down b is Limit Break, Neutral B is Blade beam which some people asked for with :4feroy: anyways, side B is Cross Edge which... I still don't get how it works, and then Up B is Climmhazard which seems most comparable with :4dedede:'s, honestly and he doesn't seem to have something huge that he adds.

I'm upset that for Final Fantasy, instead of getting someone associated with the Nintendo age, we got the poster boy for the Sony era of the series. I'm upset that for a series which has a huge pool of magical possibilities to add to a roster who's "mages" consist of :4zelda::4palutena: and Pokemon, we got a somewhat typical but standard Swordmaster and his stage shows off more of what I love about the series than the character.

I'm upset that the last non-indie 3rd Party character I truly wanted to ever see in Smash, one of my top 5 most wanted to see period, is now punted into tier of likelihood of Master Chief and at best maybe by Smash 6 we'll be allowed multiple characters from the same third party franchise and maybe Black Mage can see the light of day.

And, honestly, I'm upset that I was right that the matters to construct a 3rd Party character would throw a massive wrench into development time for a team that we've been told repeatedly is not long for standing at this point and once was still done..... for him. That this is what they have to show for this drought of information we've waited through. Like with :4mewtwo:, I was right on the reasoning about what they'd need for development but not that they would appear anyways, being incredibly hyping for most but a character I truly found myself unable to be hyped for. Except, with Mewtwo, he was at least a veteran.

Edit: Am I being childish? Damn well likely, but I feel like I have some good reasons to be.
Nah man, I'm not bothered by it, but I get why people are, it makes sense to have jimmies rustled over this, in my opinion.

I would have been happier with Geno, but yeah, for me i'm just happy it wasn't shovel knight.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I don't think it's necessarily "The End", although they could speak of what their plans are for the remainder of development. I just think it's the last time they'll have a special event dedicated to Smash Bros, and the remaining DLC will be added over the course of the next few months.
That's what I'm expecting too, it would be a little strange to hype up the Ballot for months and only produce a single character a month after it closes. Not to mention Cloud probably wasn't one of the top runners (not because of lack of fanbase, but probably because most people didn't think it was possible).

The imminent end of DLC doesn't surprise me though, we're quickly approaching this game's one year anniversary. And considering how low our expectations for DLC were last year, what we've gotten since then has been plentiful in terms of content. Heck, I sincerely doubt anybody predicted we'd get both Ryu and Cloud in Smash, fulfilling the dreams that were broken when Brawl came out. The hype has been fun, but it has to end eventually.

Kulty

Smash Ace

EDIT: I think we're at least getting three characters post-Cloud, so there can be DLC Character pack #1 and #2 with an equal number of characters in each. But I would bet that there is a maximum of 1 more newcomer, and the other two characters are Wolf and some other vet, or perhaps Dixie Kong because she can pull assets from Diddy making her development easier.
I completely agree. It might not be the end, but really close to it. Come on. We have to give Sakurai and his team a break. They have been working on DLC for almost a year. According to the patch notes, three characters are gonna be added. I think that Cloud is one of them, with two other characters that I seriously don't know. For me, I hope these two spots go to Rayman and K. Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom