• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Whilst I miss Squirtle, Ivysaur and Wolf(sorry Snake and Ice Climbers), if those three were revealed at this stage I'd be disappointed.
I'm hungry for newcomers. Particularly Nintendo newcomers.

At this point I'd take any Nintendo newcomer we can get...any.

Except Geno. If he gets more than a Mii Outfit, I'mma slap Sakurai.
Good news! Geno isn't a Nintendo character :troll:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
*arises from hibernation*....*still not at work*

Oh noes I'm exposed!!!

Anyways...Who cares if the character is 'anime' or not?
and as unlikely as it is I really want to see some more Metroid Prime content added (RIP Dark Samus :() y'know like a Phendrana Drifts stage or something...it's almost criminal how under appreciated the series is...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Congrats to a certain character's supporters!!! I feel like Viridi, the fans should take it as a big win. :)

I'm also debating how long I can stay safe for before something BIG gets leaked and I inevitably see it...
Good thing I've got a test soon I can study for.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I could do with some of them sweet sweet spoilers. Gonna be a long 7 hours...

Also need to find my 3DS as I apparently have a free stage to download. Hopefully a hype character to download alongside it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!

YOU CAN'T JUST SAY "DON'T POST SPOILERS" TO ME!!!

I'LL DO WHATEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT!!!

NOW, HERE ARE SOME SPOILERS!!!

Didn't expect that, huh? :troll:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, this is going to be my last post until late this night when I'm home from work and have watched the direct.
As my last bit, I'd like to just outline what got everyone in so far and... reflect on that when we try to predict who will come.

:mario64:: Mr. Nintendo. Damn hard to have a celebration of it without him.
:dk64:: Mario's original antagonist who was coming fresh off the absolutely massive success of the DKC trilogy. Like.. 2 times in top 10 selling and 3 of 15 for the console.
:yoshi64:: Yoshi's trusty steed, coasting a little off the massive success of Yoshi's Island and the recent Yoshi's story.
:kirby64:: HAL and Sakurai's child. What people may argue to be the 4th major Nintendo series, at least in promotion. With Super Star and even Crystal Stars fresh in people's mind, this little Star Warrior was an easy choice, bias aside.
:link64:: Nintendo's #2 series to this point. Ocarina of Time being VERY recent made this Hylian a lock if nothing else.
:fox64:: Honestly, this was the peak of the series in popularity and "relevance." The on-rails shooter that was one of the biggest games for the N64.
:samus64:: A somewhat shakey choice, as her last title was Super Metroid about 5 years earlier, but managed to make her way in due to still being one of the biggest franchises even if it was a bit dormant.
:pikachu64:: With Pokemon Red and Blue, the show, manga(s), card game, and toys already on stock as well as Yellow in development when he had to be chosen, Pikachu and Pokemon were rising stars for Nintendo in a MASSIVE way.

:luigi64:: A fairly easy clone, and still being one of the most iconic characters you could choose for Nintendo.
:falcon64:: Got in off a bit of luck of his kind of build fitting well for the models and fighters of the beta King of Dragons, and Sakurai went and made him a Sentai hero.
:ness64:: I don't quite get how, but he was made quickly due to reusage of animations and data (Mario's & Pikachu's?) into the PK Warrior who was a fairly niche pick but the only JRPG that was first-party, so that may have done something to do with it.
:jigglypuff64:: Popular in the anime at the time and was quickly made off of Kirby's data.
And for proof that all 4 unlockables got in off of reusage of assets: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Melee
:bowsermelee:
: The single most requested character for Melee, and was wanted in 64. The biggest bad for Nintendo.
:peachmelee:: 2nd most requested for Melee, the iconic princess using bits from her few playable roles and general feminine power.
:zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:: Coasting namely off of OoT still, we have the namesake of the series using the main magic of the hero, and her other self who slipped in because of Sakurai thinking it'd be cool to have a transformation character.
:mewtwomelee:: Most requested Pokemon for Melee as the series just got bigger and bigger with Gen II, the biggest villain of the series seen after the portrayal in Pokemon The Movie.
:marthmelee:: Wanted in N64, the face of a niche series with a very vocal and passionate fanbase (which included Sakurai), and ranked highly in the Melee ballot.
:icsmelee:: One out of a handful of NES fighters Sakurai poked around the idea of to be a surprise, stuck because of the gimmick/mechanic of their jolly coorperation.
:gawmelee:: Out of left field Retro which pulled moves across from dozens of games stemming from Nintendo's first handheld, though the namesake "Game & Watch" continued into the GBA.

Then... the 6 clones.
:drmario:: Fairly notable after accumulating a few titles, most recently on the N64. A LOT of reused assets.
:ganondorfmelee:: The new form of Zelda's big bad and... by extention the #5 request, and his Space World Demo model was JUST (un?)lucky enough to work with the moveset :falconmelee: stole in the first place.
:falcomelee:: While Sakurai originally wanted Wolf, Falco was made the friendly-rival-turned-clone for Fox because he was more visually distinct. Still coasting off of SF64.
:younglinkmelee:: Sneaking in off of OoT and MM using him as a protagonist, managed to make a stay.
:pichumelee:: One of the more iconic and popular Pokemon of Gen II, partially due of being an extention of Pikachu, who was put in to be an actual joke character.
:roymelee:: With FE6 on the Horizon, Sakurai crammed him in... not quite accurate to his games, but Sakurai's envisioning of Roy based on concept art and what he thought the character would be like. Thank god for that.

Brawl
:diddy:: DK's #2, the main side kick and actual protagonist of the most beloved of the trilogy. Originally planned as part of a tag-team with Dixie but ultimately ended up solo.
:warioc:: The #3 request of Melee, off of his success of the Wario Land games. The WarioWare titles, however, were seen in a bigger light for Sakurai.....
:toonlink:: After being a set staple after WW, Minish Cap, and the Four Swords titles, a fitting replacement for Yink.
:dedede:: Originally wanted for 64, in the top 10 requests for Melee, a natural fit for Brawl being the iconic "not-so-baddie" antagonist of the series.
:metaknight:: The third and last major Kirby character at the time, the reoccurring rival and "badass" for the series.
:zerosuitsamus:: I mean... Zero Mission used her as one of the most different parts of Metroid's gameplay... Iunno, she was a bit of a weird choice.
:olimar:: Miyamoto's latest child, and a fairly notable one after Pikmin 1 & 2 being some of the most innovative first party releases of the Gamecube era if nothing else.
:wolf:: The last character made. While Star Fox was at a bit of a low, the big antagonistic rival for Fox... who, once again, was a big idea for Melee.
:ike:: The only protagonist other than Marth to star in more than one Fire Emblem game (though the second was in development cocurrent to Brawl), and a fan favorite of one in spite of the poor sales of his games.
:lucas:: Originally going to REPLACE Ness in Melee, and ultimately a fairly simple "clone" addition even if he is more differentiated than most characters who use the term.
:pt::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:: A Pokemon Trainer being one of the more requested ideas for Melee, Sakurai decided to boast up Gen I after the semi-recent remake by turning the most iconic starters into a transformation character of 3 stages.
:lucario:: The poster child Pokemon for Gen IV and damn popular because of it.
:pit:: The game made from Metroid's engine and the poor GB game to follow... an interesting Retro choice, but it's clear that Sakurai had plans for him.
:rob:: The king of Nintendo Cameos (that isn't Mario). A toy before a video game character made to help pull gaming out of the pit caused by things like E.T. and most recently popped up in Mario Kart DS as an unlockable racer.
:snake:: The Face of Stealth, made by a very close friend to Sakurai, and was suggested for Melee but was too late to dare try development.
:sonic:: Mario's main rival of the 90s era. The starter of the console wars. The arguable start for anthropomorphic animals being pushed as gaming mascots. Close to happening in Melee. And, of course, one of the most requested fighters for Brawl.

Smash 4:
:4villager:: Thought impossible, the face of one of Nintendo's bigger "casual" franchises that was growing more popular with each title, and even post decision justified after the boon of New Leaf.
:4megaman:: QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST HYPE WE EVER HAVE SEEN. Icon of the NES era and gaming in general with massive fan support.
:4wiifit:: In lieu of a second retro, we got this... person as our big left field surprise who could be justified by the massive success of Wii Fit if nothing else.
:rosalina:: A Rising Star for Mario and recently made playable through Super Mario 3D world. Probably the most popular addition for Mario at the time.
:4littlemac:: A big surprise for the east, as this character was coming off a big Wii title but was almost unknown to the east due to poor sales, making it the first real "west wins" decision.
:4greninja:: One of the more popular Gen VI Pokemon that Sakurai chose off of concept art, saying that he would become popular and we could always use a second Ninja character.
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: As Miis didn't have much to work with in Sakurai's eyes, used them and their iconicism for Nintendo fans as an excuse for a Create-A-Fighter... just not a good one.
:4palutena:: The reason for most of Pit's powers, and after a massive role in Uprising, which stood as one of the best selling 3DS games even in its feeble early years and just general popularity made her a damn solid choice even without bias.
:4pacman:: The only video game character at :4mario:'s level of iconicism. C'mon now we don't need to justify him.
:4robinm::4robinf:: The more mechanically interesting of Awakening's protagonists and after its massive success we all expected a new character from it.
:4lucina:: Originally a costume, got a promotion because... well, she was already being worked on let's shift her up. The most popular female character of Awakening in Japan and the weaker leg of the tripod of protagonists.
:4shulk:: Xenoblade Chronicles being a niche, but very criticaly acclaimed game for the Wii that a) had a fanbase that actually got Nintendo to localize it while people still wait for Mother 3 and b) had a sequel in planning if not production for WiiU. This was a series to stay and Sakurai wanted to herald it a bit.
:4duckhunt:: Our retro. Representing all of the Zapper games and the hardware itself. Not much else to say.
:4bowserjr:: The big second in command for Mario's villains who had been a staple since the Gamecube and played arguably as big of a role as his father through Galaxy 1 and the New Super series. The fact that he could be done in a way that brought in the underlin-- koopalings was icing on the cake.
Edit: :4darkpit:: Forgot to add him because he contributes so little. Lucina's case but a little less justified. Whatever.

Then.. DLC.
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy:: Incredibly requested veterans.
:4ryu:: The King of Fighting games, SF2 being one of the biggest games for the SNES and the series never really leaving Nintendo. SF4 having a recent release on 3DS.
:4cloud:: The face of JRPGs, the series that started on Nintendo and kept fairly close with spin-offs and such. His game actually being planned for the cancelled N64 Disc Drive. One of the more "questionable" choices for Nintendo's cross-over but amongst the biggest stars for Gaming as a whole.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If anyone has any evidence to support the leaks, feel free to pm me, I dont mind getting spoiled.

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really that excited about this presentation because I feel like I already know whats going to happen.

Cloud is going to be released, which really isn't that exciting, he will be sorta fun to play for a bit but doesn't really bring much to the table in terms of character variety, honestly when his trailer came out I was surprised , not hyped. Actually a bit disappointed, especially since we got a generic character and he didn't even come out that day.

I think we are going to get cloud, few mii costumes, introduce a new stage or 2, quick talk about the ballot, and then a trailer for one more character at the end of who won the ballot and his approximate release date.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I'm not really that excited about this presentation because I feel like I already know whats going to happen.

Cloud is going to be released, which really isn't that exciting, he will be sorta fun to play for a bit but doesn't really bring much to the table in terms of character variety, honestly when his trailer came out I was surprised , not hyped. Actually a bit disappointed, especially since we got a generic character and he didn't even come out that day.

I think we are going to get cloud, few mii costumes, introduce a new stage or 2, quick talk about the ballot, and then a trailer for one more character at the end of who won the ballot and his approximate release date.
If that's not hype I don't know what is

There's at least two slots left. So I think we're getting at least two characters in addition to Cloud.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
User was warned for this post
YOU THOUGHT I'D JUST POST SPOILERS, HUH?

WELL, HERE ARE SOME LEAKS TOO!!!

This time, I'm sure you saw that coming :troll:

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Clouds's alts have been leaked!!! Looks legit to me.

I should probably go .....now. C ya.

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone still think there's a chance of a new characters being added today besides cloud? I'm starting to really lose hope but would love for someone to persuade me otherwise

Does anyone still think there's a chance of a new characters being added today besides cloud? I'm starting to really lose hope but would love for someone to persuade me otherwise
You mean confirmed today or available for download today? Because we're definitely getting someone confirmed today, but it's not definite will others than Cloud be available for download today.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Found my 3DS after not touching it for a few months.

Good thing I started updating now; I might be finished by the time of the Direct...

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I had a dream Squirtle was announced, he's not my most requested and I prefer Ivysaur so i don't know why.
I prefer Both.
They each, just like Shiek, Zero Suit Samus and Charizard himself are characters with unique movesets and fighting styles and as such, they each deserve their own roster slot. They both contributed uniquely to Brawl, I should know, they were mains of mine.
They have just as much right to return as the Ice Climbers and Snake do, and they have less in their way.
Everyone believes Wolf will return because he's the easiest of the bunch to bring back. I can agree with this sentiment.

I don't believe in characters taking slots from others, only time being taken away from characters as a whole.
The development team has had a year of extra time since both games launched. Today/night we find out what they did with it.

My hopes do not step over the hopes for your newcomers, my hopes are that my requested characters come back alongside yours.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In the update? Most likely not. What am actually expecting is :4cloud:'s moveset fully shown for like, 10 minutes. Then some new modes and stages, and at the last moment, :wolf: get teased with a 'Soon To Come' tagline. And then, we'll see shadows of certain other character(s) maybe. I bet it'll be underwhelming to our expectations. Why? IT'S BETTER TO COPE THE HYPE THAT WAY. :estatic:

Actually, what hype? Am used to not getting what I want and getting what I am firmly and absolutely AGAINST, so to me there's not much to gain or lose. :4darkpit:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
so do I put money on my wii u in preparation for Cloud or not

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
The problem people have with Squirtle and Ivysaur probably is that pokèmon has so many reps including a dlc one. But with all the Mario characters, it's pointless to say a franchise has too many.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
so do I put money on my wii u in preparation for Cloud or not
Couldn't hurt - at the very least, it makes the purchasing process quicker, which will especially be a good thing if Cloud's released after the Direct.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Since the 3 placeholders were added at the same time like... a month and a half ago? two months? I'm saying yes they will be available today too.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
The problem people have with Squirtle and Ivysaur probably is that pokèmon has so many reps including a dlc one. But with all the Mario characters, it's pointless to say a franchise has too many.
And after making 51 characters along with the rest of the game in 2 years, and finding the time to build 37 Mii Costumes, bring back Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy and make Ryu and Cloud from scratch, doesn't it sound Possible that they've developed just a little more in 1 year?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The hype started earlier for me this time. Usually I start getting all giddy and distracted by it one hour before it happens, but it's still three hours away... it will be a ****ing long wait. The Knick and Fargo ain't helping

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
And after making 51 characters along with the rest of the game in 2 years, and finding the time to build 37 Mii Costumes, bring back Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy and make Ryu and Cloud from scratch, doesn't it sound Possible that they've developed just a little more in 1 year?
I feel they shouldn't have done so many mii costumes. Maybe a character could have been made, even if a veteran, with that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom