• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
WB is a western company that's not really anything noteworthy and Mortal Kombat in known for extreme violence which outright doesn't fit Smash. Here are my counterarguments
'BUTT SNEEEK' Snake isn't most wellknown for tearing out spines or violence, but espionage and stupid plots
'KERTUUUUN' It was ****, and it got panned, saying it makes MK fit in Smash is like using a Mario flash game in which he has a gun to say that Mario should use guns
'FRUNSHIP N OTHER STUFF' Hasn't been used for quite a while, aren't anywhere near as iconic as fatalities, don't make sense moveset-wise because be honest, how the actual **** would a Babality work?
*Cough*Cough* Scribblenauts.
(Although to be fair that was developed by 5th Cell and the IP is owned by Konami)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*Cough*Cough* Scribblenauts.
(Although to be fair that was developed by 5th Cell and the IP is owned by Konami)
The IP is not owned by Konami, they only published the game in Japan. WB/5th Cell owns the IP.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The IP is not owned by Konami, they only published the game in Japan. WB/5th Cell owns the IP.
Huh, I thought they owned the IP in Japan, okay then guess I was wrong. Thank you for the correction.

However Opossum, I'd like to add that the Scribblenauts series is one of WB's biggest IPs to date, as the series has sold over 2.5M units WW (6.0M if you count it's spiritual predecessor's sales), so I'd say that it'd be a major contender if WB was to get representation. I currently own a thread for Maxwell at A Distant Demon A Distant Demon 's group, so if anybody would like to check that out, then that'd be great!

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-owner-of-a-very-peculiar-notebook-maxwell-for-smash.422085/

Make sure to post there too if you'd like! :)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
What makes this upcoming Direct so nerve-wracking for me is that we have no idea what's going to happen. Even Wolf is not 100% guaranteed. After Cloud was revealed, Sakurai has become more unpredictable than ever. We can't just assume that Sakurai will take arbitrary rules like equal series representation into account. The only clue he gave us was that the DLC would be fanservice. But what exactly does that mean? Is he only going to go with popular, expected characters, or will he try to throw something out of left-field that will still please a lot of fans?

I was joking about that lol.
Which is why I added the troll face emote.
Oh. Whoops. Sorry I didn't notice. It can sometimes be hard to discern sarcasm on the Internet.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As unlikely as he is, Maxwell from Scribblenauts could be an interesting fighter.

I'm imagining a mixture between Mr. Game and Watch and PAC-MAN.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Honestly the rest of the DLC characters will probably be two more 3rd party newcomers and in a way it makes sense. This basllot is more or less the best shot 3rd party characters have at getting into Smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Weaponry you say? I know a good series known for having loads of guns and the perfect character for it.

Borderlands
Weaponry, you say?
I know an incredibly popular and well selling new IP that's got a wide arsenal of guns and has a very fluid character for transistion to Smash, to the point that some may say they were "made for Smash."

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Honestly the rest of the DLC characters will probably be two more 3rd party newcomers and in a way it makes sense. This basllot is more or less the best shot 3rd party characters have at getting into Smash.
But if that happened, then we would be left with zero Nintendo newcomers, and that just doesn't seem right. I think at this point, Snake is the only remaining 3rd party character that would be feasible as he already had veteran status.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What makes this upcoming Direct so nerve-wracking for me is that we have no idea what's going to happen. Even Wolf is not 100% guaranteed. After Cloud was revealed, Sakurai has become more unpredictable than ever. We can't just assume that Sakurai will take arbitrary rules like equal series representation into account. The only clue he gave us was that the DLC would be fanservice. But what exactly does that mean? Is he only going to go with popular, expected characters, or will he try to throw something out of left-field that will still please a lot of fans?

Oh. Whoops. Sorry I didn't notice. It can sometimes be hard to discern sarcasm on the Internet.
If Cloud can make it, anybody can. Duke Nukem for DLC!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well. Almost anybody.
Sorry Ice Climbers and Ridley fans.
Guess they'll get their chance next time. Right now, though, SpongeBob for Smash 4!
If we get 0 1st party newcomers i will be baffled.

It would however confirm for me that the ballot is being used for the next smash. :ohwell:
I doubt we're getting anymore third parties.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As much as I'd like to see characters like Rayman and Bayonetta get in, I'm figuring that the only third party character we'll get beyond this point is Snake. There's no reason for Konami to turn down easy money and good publicity for what seems like little to no effort on their part, and from Nintendo's perspective, bringing back an extremely popular veteran would be easier on the developers.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
If we get 0 1st party newcomers i will be baffled.

It would however confirm for me that the ballot is being used for the next smash. :ohwell:
Just to say.
Iwata's verbatim explanation
"With this poll, you can let us know, DI-RECT-LY, which character you like to see in become the next new fighter in Super Smash Bros. Of course, please understand that we won't be able to accommodate every request; but Mr. Sakurai and the rest of the staff will take each request in consideration when developing additional titles."

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The lack of first-party newcomers is kinda upsetting, but besides the Inklings and a few characters from the 90s (such as K. Rool), there isn't really much left to add for Nintendo that would keep the "All-Stars" atmosphere in Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Weaponry, you say?
I know an incredibly popular and well selling new IP that's got a wide arsenal of guns and has a very fluid character for transistion to Smash, to the point that some may say they were "made for Smash."

First character I wouldn't buy.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Weaponry, you say?

*throws money at the screen*

I agree! They'd fit perfectly! There could be a very interesting, territorial inking gimmick that would really force a player to think of what to do!

Burruni

Smash Hero
The lack of first-party newcomers is kinda upsetting, but besides the Inklings and a few characters from the 90s (such as K. Rool), there isn't really much left to add for Nintendo that would keep the "All-Stars" atmosphere in Smash.
"All-Stars" atmosphere.
:falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64:
:falcomelee::sheikmelee::drmario::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::icsmelee::roymelee:
:metaknight::dedede::wolf::olimar::ike::rob::toonlink::lucario::zerosuitsamus::lucas::pit:
:4wiifit::4shulk::4darkpit::4lucina::4robinm::4bowserjr::rosalina::4palutena::4duckhunt:

C'mon.
It's not a huge factor if someone's a B or C rank "all-star" instead of the S and A's. Characters like Bandana Dee, Dixie, Isaac, Paper Mario, etc. all still have their points.

Also Ganon is an All-Star.
Just saying.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let's be honest, a lot of the added characters to Smash wouldn't be considered "all-stars" if it weren't for Smash.

Popular, yes, but people wouldn't give them nearly as much attention that they have otherwise, so the term is a little flimsy in this regard.

Because who would consider some blonde haired pretty boy for Smash were it not for a leak? :4shulk:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's be honest, a lot of the added characters to Smash wouldn't be considered "all-stars" if it weren't for Smash.

Popular, yes, but people wouldn't give them nearly as much attention that they have otherwise, so the term is a little flimsy in this regard.

Because who would consider some blonde haired pretty boy for Smash were it not for a leak? :4shulk:
Since that Leak, I got Xeno for my Wii and did a full-quest, full-affection clear of the game over that summer. And felt really happy when he ultimately got revealed because it was such a damn good game, especially with how... ehn the JRPG genre kinda was getting with staling out.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
It's how the conversation has changed from "definitely no third party for DLC. Not happening." Until after Ryu where it was "well, that's clearly the last third party DLC." To "everything's going to be third-party! Run for the hills!"

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Guys, who's your pick for another curveball character? As in a character who would come out of left field or something.

I have a few ideas in mind personally.
At this point I think any third party thats slightly less popular or known then the current ones would be pretty left field.

My list of preferred third party left fieldies:

Klonoa (Namco)
Agumon (Namco)
Geno (Square)
Black Mage (Square)
Bomberman (Konami)
Goemon (Konami)
NiGHTs (Sega)
Knuckles (Sega)
Zero (Capcom)
X (Capcom)

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Personally, I wouldn't care if the rest of the DLC characters we got were all third-party characters.

Speaking of third-party characters, it's pretty nice to see Maxwell getting the love he deserves. He probably has the most moveset potential out of any video game character to ever exist. If he wanted to, he could make a colossal pink fluffy cat-shooting balloon penguin, or a romantic piratic radioactive telekinetic large hadron collider. He also got access to the DC Comics universe in his latest game, so it would cool if Maxwell could use DC characters in his moveset. We'd finally get Mario and Superman in the same game together.

Though, I wouldn't care how they decide to do his moveset. As long as it's not something dull, like giving him a couple of weapons he'd use for all of his attacks.

Fun fact: Solid Snake is summonable in the Japanese version of the original Scribblenauts.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
By the way, SmashChu SmashChu I know the only reason you said it should have been Geno is your anti-Non Nintendo bias, but something I want to point out. You said Geno wound be better for Nintendo fans. Europe didn't get SMRPG for over a decade, so that's an entire continent with Nintendo fans who may not even know Geno, not to mention a better SE suggestion would be an actual Final Fantasy character, as Cecil, Bartz and Terra are all fairly popular protagonists who were on Nintendo consoles. And the final thing I want to point out...Considering FF started on Nintendo and became very successful, it's very safe to assume that Nintendo fans decided to get a PS1 back in the day for FFVII, so Cloud would also be popular among Nintendo fans
I can only really reply to one comment so how about this one.

First, I want to point out the obvious ad-hominid. It doesn't matter what my personal position is. It only matters what I'm saying. Too many people in the Smash community use ad hominid because it allows them to deflect any real discussion.

To your point, I was unaware of the release if Super Mario RPG in Europe. What I was saying was based on what I saw during the Brawl days, which was that Geno was a very popular character. I've gone in depth on why this matter in my previous post, that Geno, although less popular, would be a better choice since he appeals to the target market. The choices you mentioned would be worse than Cloud because they were never popular. The reason I say Geno should have been chosen was, primarily, because he was popular. I think your point about Final Fantasy is a leap in logic. Your assuming that because people liked Nintendo Final Fantasy games, they would have played and liked FF7. But they are different games with different characters. It would be like saying "Smash should add Leif because people liked Fire Emblem Awakening. But this argument doesn't say why Cloud is a better choice, just that, maybe, Nintendo fans will like Cloud because they like Final Fantasy.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I can only really reply to one comment so how about this one.

First, I want to point out the obvious ad-hominid. It doesn't matter what my personal position is. It only matters what I'm saying. Too many people in the Smash community use ad hominid because it allows them to deflect any real discussion.

To your point, I was unaware of the release if Super Mario RPG in Europe. What I was saying was based on what I saw during the Brawl days, which was that Geno was a very popular character. I've gone in depth on why this matter in my previous post, that Geno, although less popular, would be a better choice since he appeals to the target market. The choices you mentioned would be worse than Cloud because they were never popular. The reason I say Geno should have been chosen was, primarily, because he was popular. I think your point about Final Fantasy is a leap in logic. Your assuming that because people liked Nintendo Final Fantasy games, they would have played and liked FF7. But they are different games with different characters. It would be like saying "Smash should add Leif because people liked Fire Emblem Awakening. But this argument doesn't say why Cloud is a better choice, just that, maybe, Nintendo fans will like Cloud because they like Final Fantasy.
Based on what you saw during the Brawl days was years ago, Geno is even less relevant now, which means Cloud appeals to the target market even more.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Based on what you saw during the Brawl days was years ago, Geno is even less relevant now, which means Cloud appeals to the target market even more.
Plus the FF7 remake is coming out.

Ryu has SFV coming out soon.

See the coincidence?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I take it no one saw this previous post that I made earlier today? I recommend you all give it a look at least.
Yeah, really popular, iconic characters that practically no one is expecting.

You guys are going to think i'm wack for saying this but I personally think there might be a minuscule chance that James Bond might somehow get in this game as DLC. Why? I have no solid reasoning for it but I just get this feeling that people (especially those who loved Goldeneye from back in the day) would be requesting Bond to be in Smash.

Of course that would come with a lot of legal stuff like getting the rights from whatever movie company makes Bond films and licensing stuff. Then there's the part of getting the likeliness of Pierce Brosnan (the actor who played Bond in Goldeneye) in the game so that could be really hectic.

Again, it's a crazy thought with no solid backing behind it but it was just a crazy idea I had. I mean Bond was considered for Melee so you never know. The thought of playing as Agent 007 in Smash is beyond hype.
Very unlikely, I know but strange things have happened in Smash Bros recently. There's still a possibility considering that he was considered for Melee showing that Niny can seek out licensing from whatever company makes 007 films. Not only that but they showed freaking Cloud of all people in the November Direct instead of the December Presentation. Obviously they have 1 huge surprise left and although that doesn't support Bond per se, there's absolutely no denying that he could top Cloud easily the hype department. Not many other characters can do that TBH.

Can you guys imagine what it would be like if at the end of the Smash Bros presentation, Sakurai says he has one last surprise for use and then you see this?

(Obviously, the video would have much better video and sound quality if it were to happen so keep that in mind. Also, replace the Nintendo logo with the Smash Bros logo and the Rare logo with the X, similar to Ryu and Cloud's reveal.

James Bond: Reports In For Duty

(commence Bond kicking everyone's arse in his trailer)

You can't lie people, that would be the most hype thing to ever happen in Smash Bros.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Uhhhh, how does that make any sense? Geno being obscure has no baring on Cloud's acceptance. Maybe you meant relatively, Cloud would be more popular today than Geno? General interest (if measurable) would be constant, so Geno being obscure or not would have no baring on Cloud. You may want to rephrase that.

Super Mario RPG was already old when Brawl was released. Super Mario RPG came out in 1996. Brawl was released in 2008, 12 years later. So unless 19 years is the magic number where people stop caring, his popularity wouldn't change. But a big reason people stopped talking about Geno was his legal issues since he was owned by Square, not Nintendo. But let's look at today.

The late Shorts did quite a lot of polls during the pre-Smash 4 days. If you look at the poll's Geno's position varies, but he does well in a few of them. In the mid 2013 one, he was in the top 25. Sourcegaming's Perception of DLC in Japan (which I linked earlier) also had Geno in the top 20. Geno is always higher than Cloud on both. And again, Famitsu reader put Super Mario RPG at the 8th best Nintendo game of all time. So I don't think fans don't care about Geno. But he was a character that has been held back by legal issues that fans thought would always bar him.

But, again, my point is not that Cloud is unpopular. Its that Cloud is unpopular among the target audience. Its like trying to sell cheap perfume in a high class store. The cheap perfume may be a best seller, but not in the market you are trying to sell it in. The reaction to Geno would get folks excited, but the initial reaction would be "quieter." However, the difference is fans would have a more sustained interest because its a character that appeals to them. And there may be character choices that are better than Geno. I bring this up because I argue that if Nintendo was going to go through all the work of negotiating rights, why not do it for their own character. I think the only thing the Cloud announcement did well was it was shocking. No one seems to be saying how interesting his moves are or they are glad to play as them (save for, like, Maxamilian Dood). They are in it for the shock factor/ I would even argue that Nintendo dropped the ball and lost thousands of sales because they did not release Cloud on the same day.

To close, on your point.....what you said makes no sense. The target market is Nintendo fans, so why would they care about Cloud, a character who only graced their system through spin-offs. I don't think you understand who Smash is appealing to and why I can even say a smaller character like Geno is a better choice than Cloud, who is one of the biggest names in Final Fantasy. Master Cheif is a big name, but I can assure you fans would hate his inclusion because Nintendo fans don't care for Halo (or, at least they are less likely to play it since they would own Wii Us and not necessarily XBox Ones).

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
Anyone else hoping that tommorow (Nov 30th) we will get some info regarding Cloud on the smash website and the date of when the Smash Presentation will air (hopefully on Dec 6th as it would be the anniversary for Japan's Smash Wii U release).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom