• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

ProNoobie

Smash Rookie
Who is the best character to practice chain throws on first?

and

How long does it take until you actually get good at chain throws?

chewyy

Smash Ace
Who is the best character to practice chain throws on first?
various from person to person, I started with DK, but I'd recommend learning the light guys first. They're the hardest matchups so you might as well get them down first. So, MK.
and

How long does it take until you actually get good at chain throws?
Again, it varies from person to person and it varies depending on what you consider "good." For one character, it shouldn't take that long at all.
Can I get any advice on the timing for the standing Nana desynch iceblock? I always end up doing either Squall or reverse iceblocks. What am I doin wrong?
idk, I use pivot desynch. :p Does anyone actually use the SND?

J4pu

Smash Champion
denzi for the pivot being done the right way you don't actually move much at all, when your timing is off you can still desync with the same input but you have to wait until your initial dash animation ends after pivoting before inputting the B move or w/e.

EX.
correct way: dash left, immediately dash right, immediately iceblock. your final standing point should be slightly to the left of where you started.

wrong way: dash left, immediately dash right, failed iceblock timing (nothing happens), wait until initial dash animation ends, use special move. You are standing fairly far to the right of where you started.

it's kinda nice tho if you aren't in close range with your opponent cuz even if you mess up the correct way of doing it (which actually has some strict timing) you can still desync without losing much time.

Smoom77

Smash Master
hobblehobblehobble

Your point is dead.

You can hobble bowser easily, just substitute ice block for jab

Easy.

(n?)
Lol, Bowser can't be hobbled. He has weird size proportions and can't be done. Uthrow hobble, I'm not sure if that works or not though.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
I've been learning the IC chaingrabs recently and i can do most of them, but i can't seem to do the alternaTing grabs one. Usually when i fthrow, nana dashes so i can't really do it right. I have done it a time or 2 on 1/2 speed, but then when i try to do the 2nd throw I fail. Advice please :)

Smasher89

Smash Lord
It works with Nanas dashgrab too, but you´ll risk tripping =(
Practice for 5-6 hrs and come back with the result. Prioritize your hardest matchups so you got those CGs covered first...

Soulgem199

Smash Rookie
i got a few things i want to ask(btw my english sucks balls)

I want to try playing IC butt then comes the biggest quastion....
Where do i start with?:p

i know the moveset, i know how to use down chaingrabs and walking chaingrab. and what i have to learn then?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I was thinking and does anyone know if boost grabs can increase the % we dthrow cg characters?

I can't test this right now. Anyone? It could be helpful. Imagine if we could get mk to like 90% instead of 65 with just dthrows.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I was thinking and does anyone know if boost grabs can increase the % we dthrow cg characters?

I can't test this right now. Anyone? It could be helpful. Imagine if we could get mk to like 90% instead of 65 with just dthrows.
I haven't tested it much, but I know you can boost pivot grab behind fast fallers like sheik and falco, at least at moderate percents. I'm not sure if they can jump out at higher percents or not, but it's how I get the fast fallers to obnoxious percent when it's just SoPo. Their boost pivot grab is pretty good, so I can imagine it working with a regular boost grab.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Not neccesarily, the slide you get from a bpg is not related to that of a boost grab. For example Falco has a great bpg, but his boost grab gives no boost at all. But if the IC's boost grab is good, then I can see it working.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Boost grab is like the pivotwalkinggrab or? (terms switches names/ is the same thing in a few cases so it´s hard to keep track on them:/ )

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Boost grab is canceling your dash attack into a grab to increase your grab range.

J4pu

Smash Champion
boost grabbing never gives an actual slide right? It just extends the grab range for some characters (more than others?) I thought.

also, IC's have a bpg? I never knew *goes to try it out

also keep in mind that while bpg may extend your grab range, it also extends the amount of time it takes for your grab to come out, it's basically a dash grab(or is it normal? idk) + a few frames of the DA.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
So, I've been getting wrecked by dair camping MKs lately. They just dair in that sweetspot where even if you blizzard it just trades, and then tornado on me just long enough that I can't get to them when they auto cancel it after retreating. Halp!

Prawn

Smash Master
count the number of DJ's if they always finish with tornado then run away > pivot grab when you see it coming
actually, this is interesting.

I really need to start finding patterns in peoples playstyles :(

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Ok so I was wondering if I could just hobble CG somebody to death or is that banned or anything? Hopefully it's not...

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Why not? I find hobbling much easier than CG'ing at least much easier on heavies like Snake and Dedede. Which is why I can 0-death meta but can't CG snake for the life of me. I prefer to hobble them to death <3

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Why not? I find hobbling much easier than CG'ing at least much easier on heavies like Snake and Dedede. Which is why I can 0-death meta but can't CG snake for the life of me. I prefer to hobble them to death <3
damage output and the ease with which they can escape if you mess up even slightly make it a less desirable option. it will take you at least 4 times as long to hobble a person to kill percents than if you just CG them. thats 4x the time that you can mess up and they can escape. its easier and more efficient to just learn the CGs so you can kill them quicker with less fuss.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
If you're having trouble chaingrabbing Dedede then you really need to be practicing CGs more instead of looking for easier alternatives. It only gets harder.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
But the thing is I don't care for grabs or how "fast" I can kill someone. I understand that it is much more time consuming but I very rarely mess up my hobbles and i often mess up my CG's, I'm not horrible at CG'ing but my forte is hobbling and if I can perfect that I think I can reach the same goal of beating my opponent with it. To me its just preference... even if you guys don't see it that way. I'm just glad that its not banned in tournaments because then I'd be screwed xD

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
hobbling won't work as well against good players. i'm fairly sure you can SDI it, and if not, then its noticeably harder to get perfect when you get them over 100%. it would be more to your advantage to just learn the CGs. if they aren't your forte then you should work doubly hard on them. thats really how you should approach gameplay in general.

Smoom77

Smash Master
hobbling won't work as well against good players. i'm fairly sure you can SDI it, and if not, then its noticeably harder to get perfect when you get them over 100%. it would be more to your advantage to just learn the CGs. if they aren't your forte then you should work doubly hard on them. thats really how you should approach gameplay in general.
I find that hobbling is underestimated. You can smash hobble...

hobble>smash>grab immediately after smash. If you do it in conjuction with fthrow and fsmash, it can do a ton of damage. 39/40% (Does one IB still do 4%?)

Then there's another that GimR invented.

b/f/dthrow>footstool>fair>buffered grab. That's 25-30%.

They CAN SDI, but not far enough to get away from our IB in time. We can still running shield grab.

Overall, I need to do some frame/damage work and compare it to buffered b-throws (most efficient chaingrab we have).

Edit: Smash hobbling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3KbgcmEak
Other Hobble:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvM-oOnCsPg

Top Bottom