• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I'm trying to look for grab releases on Wario with a Wario main off a edge. Would d-tilt semi-spike him in a diagnal to the corner?

Edit: I don't understand what causes the differences in timing between characters in let's say, b-throw alts. The heavier the character, the later you grab after throw, or sooner?

What makes it more difficult to alt certain characters than others? I can infinite olimar's pretty far with b-throws, but I can't get one bthrow alt at all on Ganon or Wario. What's my problem? I mess with different timings and I can't get one ever.
In the case of b-throw and d-throw, heavier characters take more time to throw. And the overall difficulty depends on weight, floatiness, air speed and character size. Basically, just take each character to Training mode and figure out which grab works best on them.

When I was your age (=p) I couldn't use bd-throw on MK to save my life. Then I figured out it was much easier to use dd-throw on him, and work in a pivot grab when approaching the edge.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You don't have to and you shouldn't. Back Throw to Down Throw feels really awkward on heavies while FThrow to BThrow allows you to regrab faster. It's the complete opposite on characters like Ness and MK. Just find out what works for you.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Another question.

I recently was fighting Sethlon's Marth with my ICs. If I got on the edge, I couldn't find anyway back on. If I ledgejumped;fair.
drop to Squall;fair
ledgeattack;fair.

How do I get back on the stage??? That's my problem. >_<

Prawn

Smash Master
Another question.

I recently was fighting Sethlon's Marth with my ICs. If I got on the edge, I couldn't find anyway back on. If I ledgejumped;fair.
drop to Squall;fair
ledgeattack;fair.

How do I get back on the stage??? That's my problem. >_<
jump back then SH forward with a blizzard, should outrange his fair and give you enough time to get onto the platform and MAYBE even a grab if you do it right, or bait and fair to miss and get on.

All about practice and mindgamez.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I usually get back from the ledge against Marth with blizzard or an air dodge. Sometimes just rolling from the ledge or getting up normally works fine.

Prawn

Smash Master
Exactly, Blizzard outranges all his attacks(as far as I know).

Don't be afraid to spam blizzard, its a godly move(in my opinion up there with Snakes UTilt/Ftilt and Metaknights Mach Tornado).

sunshade

Smash Ace
this question might sound a bit strange but whats the best way to kill nana?

i have been trying to practice fighting when i only have popo and i want a quick way to dispatch her.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero

i have been trying to practice fighting when i only have popo and i want a quick way to dispatch her.
hack your wii and use the Giga Bowser and friends codeset to start as sopo.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
then learn to use up b to kill her off the side. but hacking makes it instant (which is the best way to practice as you don't need to worry about her re-spawning every time you die).

Shök

Smash Champion

Up-B "correctly" on the side of a stage, hehe.

Nana will sweetspot the edge when you Belay correctly. If you're far too under the edge, Nana won't sweet stop and only throw Popo. That should get rid of Nana.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
On a flat stage like Final Destination or Smashville, at the start of the match you can desynch and make Nana do her Squall towards the ledge (Hold B and direct your control stick towards the ledge.) If done correctly she'll Squall offstage.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
What attacks of ours safely go through Peach's DAir?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Uair obviously does, but Peaches usually make it hard to land that move. There are a variety of other things I do against dair depending on how Peach is using it.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
what are all the insulting cgrabs you can come up with? im talking about the cgrabs when normal throws arnt insulting enough! like Fthrow pivot grab nana bthrow pivit grab repeat (smash on control stick so that nana is running and right when the char lives your hands do a pivot grab with nana, nana catches the har and is holding them literally on your face, now run toward nana and she will do a back throw and you pivit grab to catch the person when she releases them. (if done correctly it will be in a fluid motion and this can be done on a platform on battlefield, also it sets you back up to repeat this if you want......
another one would be to do a bthrow and then dthrow and run past them and pivot....
the last one i can think of is a unique throw i found about earyler today when messing around (i dont think i discovered it) bthrow then foxtrot once foreward and then back toward nana and regrab (i like this one because it gives the opponent the illusion that you messed up your cgrab and it puts you basicially where you started lol, also if your a fast thinker and you mess up a fthrow you might be able to recover from the mistake by dashing back and regrabbing
(sorry about the big wall of text i just want to to go into detail before someone tries and fails then complanes about it, btw if you want vid proof give my your wii code and i will send it to you, and i believe that since after you regrab the opponent you rethrow them that this might be a legit unescapable yet easy and humialiating cg :)

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Uair obviously does, but Peaches usually make it hard to land that move. There are a variety of other things I do against dair depending on how Peach is using it.
I usually just Bair them, or....the above quote.

What is better for chain grabs?

Shield Grab or Z?
It truly depends on who your playing against and where te opponent is, and what they are doing. In most cases I personally use Shield grab because I usually run-powershield the opponents attack and grab.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
ok i just did a 0-death with one of the cgrabs i mentioned above it is legit (the vid is of me vs a cpu) i tested it vs a humen though....... does anyone want the vid and can i have someone post it up on youtube?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
ok i just did a 0-death with one of the cgrabs i mentioned above it is legit (the vid is of me vs a cpu) i tested it vs a humen though....... does anyone want the vid and can i have someone post it up on youtube?
What made you think we doubted your CG's...

Anyways, the reason why we don't do those flashy grabs is because they usually are more unsafe than just doing normal throws. There are many CG's the ice climbers can do, some we may have not even found out, but the thing is, the CG's that are simple and use normal throws tend to be safer... The CG that you explained in that wall of text has the issue of needing you to run, which adds a higher risk of tripping. Also, some players mash faster than CPU's so your grab may not be as legit as you think.

What are you trying to prove here? It's a Q&A thread...

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
What made you think we doubted your CG's...

Anyways, the reason why we don't do those flashy grabs is because they usually are more unsafe than just doing normal throws. There are many CG's the ice climbers can do, some we may have not even found out, but the thing is, the CG's that are simple and use normal throws tend to be safer... The CG that you explained in that wall of text has the issue of needing you to run, which at higher risk of tripping. Also, some players mash faster than CPU's so your grab may not be as legit as you think.

What are you trying to prove here... It's a Q&A thread...
good point lol btw the ironic thing is the cg where you have to fox trot is beyond simple to do just looking at it youll be amazed on how effective it is and it also is a more unique way to proform the standard bthrow fthrow :)

Teh Future

Smash Master
When Peach approaches you with arieals blizzard goes through everything she has. You dont really want to spam it though because she can just turnup you if she knows you are going to use it. Try not to get caught under it shielding because it will eat like half of your shield and they can just do it again to shield poke. If you do get caught under I think you can nair OOS and it will hit her before she can do anything else(?). Bairs are also really good if she is hovering at the same spot because it is much harder to punish than blizzards.

swordgard

Smash Hero
good point lol btw the ironic thing is the cg where you have to fox trot is beyond simple to do just looking at it youll be amazed on how effective it is and it also is a more unique way to proform the standard bthrow fthrow :)
Yet another cg to do that can make you trip.

Prawn

Smash Master
Boosted pivot grabbing,

can the ICs do it? What exactly is it? Is it useful?

Can someone give me a description on how to do it?

Very confused but sounds useful if it has the word grab in it right?

Such a noob question >_<

Bellioes

Smash Lord
The boosted pivot grab is where you cancel the dash attack into a pivot grab. Sortve like a DACUS but you do back+z instead of up+z (assuming your using the cstick down*> to up+z method) I know Falcos use this.
Also, Im not sure if the ICs can do it but Im guessing they can.

Prawn

Smash Master
do ICs have invincibility frames on any of there moves?

Sorry for all the noobish questions but I've been playing them for a while and realized I didn't know some basics, haha

IxxI

Smash Fence
Use the edit button.
XD

I really don't know anything on invincibility frames.
I think that there's invincibility frames on the squall and belay, but I don't really know for sure.
You should just check out the guide that's stickied.

Prawn

Smash Master
yeah sorry for the doubles, not like there's much discussion in here anyways, ice climbers forums are dead. I've been playing them for a good while and putting a whole lot of work in but I'm just trying to get facts straight to try and reinvigorate this place with discussion and stuff.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
yeah sorry for the doubles, not like there's much discussion in here anyways, ice climbers forums are dead. I've been playing them for a good while and putting a whole lot of work in but I'm just trying to get facts straight to try and reinvigorate this place with discussion and stuff.
Nana during belay has invincibility while rising because she has a hitbox covered around her that interacts with both projectiles and melee (which means that if any hitbox touches her, it gets canceled rather than hit her). This is important to know because unlike being truly invincible, Nana actually CANCELS the attack being throw out compared to having the attack go through her, being both good and bad in it's own way. In exchange for having a safer belay (since canceling obstacles that could get in Popo way while Nana is pulling him up is nice), you have to understand that if you hit a player or object while Nana his reaching for the ledge, the belay transforms into a failed tether belay or normal belay (as though you belayed with no edge around). The problem with this failed tether belay is that Popo doesn't get pulled by Nana to the edge (meaning you take a slower time getting to it) and that the angle of Popo's recovery isn't as clean. In a successful tether, Popo gets pulled in a straight path toward the ledge by Nana but in the failed tether version, Popo himself tugs on the string resulting in a weird "bounce" which is more unsafe because 1. Popo is traveling slower and 2. Popo isn't guaranteed the ability to grab the ledge because if you get a failed tether belay while you are doing belay at it's maximum height, you will be at the risk of not getting enough height to reach the edge and you are susceptible to being pushed away by a wind push move since your air speed becomes a factor unlike the tether version where even if you get wind pushed, you will continue flying toward the edge. This bounce effect only occurs when Nana collides with something while reaching for the edge which means that if you do this against an opponent as an attack, Popo will still rise the maximum height he is supposed to when you do the belay with no edge around you (I think that's really ******** because in Melee the bounce property applied making belay have a less punishable ending lag due to less dead air time)

I don't think there are any moves that actually give POPO any invincibility. I only think Belay is the closest thing to a move that gives the Ice Climbers in total any though it's not true invincibility and that it only affects Nana.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
PLayed them in melee, and was about to stop with them in brawl, until I saw someone dthrow altgrab to fairspike the first time, lol that was a too good day XD

Dev2000

Smash Lord
I liked them in melee and one day i was like... **** this i'm gonna play IC's again and that's the day i got smashboards to improve them moar and moar

Top Bottom