• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"If I think Fox is going to DI away and I don't want to fsmash him because he's at low percentage or something, I'll often just go for a Nana grab and gamble from there."

what do you mean here by nana grab? do you mean a handoff?

also nintendodude i was struggling to be 100% consistent with wobbling..they kept getting out around 110 or so....so i'm now memorizing the timing for 200bpm ...i hope you're right about the timing:p

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I practiced different Wobbling timings for about two weeks (1 or 2 hour long sessions every second day) until I got it.

Since that day, I can count the number of Wobbles that I've dropped on my fingers, its like riding a bike.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
"If I think Fox is going to DI away and I don't want to fsmash him because he's at low percentage or something, I'll often just go for a Nana grab and gamble from there."

what do you mean here by nana grab? do you mean a handoff?
Basically, except that I'm not necessarily by the edge of the stage here, so that the direction Nana throws in might be random.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
So, the b-throw -> b-air thing works really well against DI away. And it looks cool. After ~40% they might be able to jump out (although I haven't tested it extensively), but for style points you can still b-throw -> nana f-air -> popo f-air -> nana d-smash (on missed tech).

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
or downthrow bair wd*insert appropriate edgeguard here*
also you can dthrow then dsmash with nana before the throw ends to have an opportunity to regrab, reposition, or attack
using the knockback of the dthrow imean
random handoff like fly said is better than nothing
but thats assuming you can get the timing

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Random handoff is pretty good. Personally I have a hard time reacting to d-throw and b-throw. But f-throw gets a regrab, and u-throw is cool because it usually leads to a grab on the platform.

I don't think the other things you mentioned would work against Fox's escape DI...

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
the other option i meantioned is always possible just mash cstick down after inputting dthrow, the dthrow lets them escape but the dsmash adds damage. you can reset after if they miss the tech also if you dsmash too late it will send the opponent forward making his escape di a edgeguarding opportunity
i think u should just try to tech chase not dthrow regrab on random handoff.
i am a pretty aggressive nooby ic's tho

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
If you do a random handoff, 50% of the time you'll get a solid combo or chaingrab (u-throw or f-throw) and 50% of the time you'll get a techchase anyways (b-throw or d-throw). I don't see why you would just go for the techchase outright when you could get another regrab instead.

And personally I wouldn't want to squander my hard-earned grab on a techchase unless I was confident that I could cover all options on reaction (m2k style). I looked into techchasing Fox on reaction a while ago and it didn't seem like it was possible.

Hi, is there any data saved for your partner on memory card, as in do they get more experience?
Nana is always a level 1 computer (if that's what you're asking).

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
i was meaning to explain that u can hit with dsmash while dthrowing someone and only have the knock back from the throw. that allows a simple regrab like the sopo dthrow chain if u are not proficient with the handoff on that char or dont have confidence ect. random handoff is only good if nana is not whiffing the grab;)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
a lot of good IC practice in today...improving a lot vs sheik with ICs...actually getting my chaingrabs off and playing only semistupid from neutral...beating someone with ease with ICs when my marth is rather equivalent in skill to his sheik...

however, as embarrassing as it is...i think i need to ask for some zelda tips....is the best idea to just turn around and space your own bairs on him..and then dash in for a grab if you can get him to miss? I was getting split up rather easily when he played zelda..though the last life I realized i can just grab smash him offstage and then regrab him a million times when he does it again since he can't sweetspot very well since he's not a zelda main (or maybe zelda is just bad at sweetspotting)..heck if i know.

does zelda's up b not have much lag? i tried fsmashing with marth and she shielded it..so it seems grabs are less risky

other notes and questions:

2. So vs fox i was having a rather interesting problem...basically i did not seem to be able to approach at all moving forward. dashdance desynchs the ICs, so it seems pretty bad..but if you dash forward he can overshoot hit nairs to catch you as you wd back..and when i dashdance nana seems to get hit anyway..

all of this is solved when i'm facing backwards because i can space bairs to keep him honest about coming in...but i'm wondering if i have other options for competing with nair when they come in. is uptilt capable of beating nair coming in from the side or does it only work by hitting the fox before or in the beginning of the jump.

maybe i just need to relook at the hitboxes but i wasn't able to really get uptilt or upsmash to beat a nair...i have hit uptilts but they were usually chasing fox as he was moving around or coming down from a platform...horizontally ICs seem very weak when facing forward. is the solution to just dashdance even though nana desynchs? i was kind of looking at nana desynching as too dangerous..i think they split us up whenever i dashdance but maybe i'm doing it wrong.

also lasers from falco are the worst cause they turn you around...on big stages you need to approach if he's camping, but you can't properly approach him facing backwards cause the lasers always turn you around.

also, i don't know how i ever had trouble as marth vs ICs..i think my trouble back when i was marth was because i tried to approach the ICs...why does marth need to approach ICs when ICs seem to have such unreliable approaches against marth....outspacing marth is doable..but if they just walk forward and then dtilt at the right range i feel as if i'm at a disadvantage. i think i only won matches cause they die to dsmashes while trying to kill nana

question 3..how to edgeguard marth...edgeguarding from on stage doesn't work...what about with ledge invuln..i know i can stand on and smash..but i want more...can i trade nairs or bairs rising on stage or even falling offstage..i just want new edgeguards

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"
If the Fox is shffl'ing aerials, you have a few options for stopping him in his tracks. One is dash dancing into grabs; even though it splits Nana up, you have decent combo options off up-throw, and it's still possible tech-chase with down-throw and back-throw. If he is at a high percent, you can wait for Nana to return before using a finisher combo. The other strong defense against his SHFFL offensive is retreating wavedashes into jabs. They come out quickly, and do very well to interrupt his n-air and d-air. Jabbing won't beat a shine, but it's faster and safer than a smash. It can lead into grabs and smashes, and you should use them frequently."

from the guide..so i guess i will stick to that if you guys don't know anything else...i think that wd into jab seems better than dashdance at low percents at least...i play marth vs fox enough to know that ICs won't beat a competent fox off of dashdance grabbing his aerials if the punish is something weak that solo popo can do.....so i'm guessing that that is really only of much benefit at high percent...i hope wd into jab is pretty good cause otherwise i think ICs have a really bad problem with keep away style campy foxes.

turning around beats everything though..you just can't approach very well though;p

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
^Besides jabs and turn around grabs, which for me are the main tools against Fox, you can try to out-space Fox's aerials with a retreating f-air. Just make sure that you don't do it too often because it is possible for Fox to punish the move if he sees it coming/ baits it.

Btw, it is possible to dash dance into grabs without splitting up with Nana if you press the shield-button before your grab. I've done this a lot lately and it's pretty much a KO if you get the grab because you can start wobbling right away.

Against Zelda I like to be very close at her so she cannot hit with her sweetspot. Her out-of-shield game is really bad and if you can keep up the pressure, there is not much she can do.

So you do know a way to reliable practice it and know if you get it down that does not include practice against a player who mashes?
Standard CGS is IMO much easier to know if you do it right then wobbling since you can continue a wrong timing a long time, where it coiuld easily be mashed out.
From what I've seen you just mash too fast when you mess up your wobbling. Don't know if this still happens to be the problem, but you could try to do your mashing a little slower.
The f-tilt that "sent the opponent far away, dealing 6 damage" is also most likely a sign that you are mashing too fast at least from my experience.

I've been playing a little myself lately. Placed 2nd at a recent tournament, losing to Leffen twice in bracket. Kind of sucks, but he is still a lot better than me and I think I did make some progress since the last time we played so it isn't too bad. Armada was at the tournament too, but he didn't feel like playing singles.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Tired response that might include some stupid stuff:

however, as embarrassing as it is...i think i need to ask for some zelda tips....is the best idea to just turn around and space your own bairs on him..and then dash in for a grab if you can get him to miss? I was getting split up rather easily when he played zelda..though the last life I realized i can just grab smash him offstage and then regrab him a million times when he does it again since he can't sweetspot very well since he's not a zelda main (or maybe zelda is just bad at sweetspotting)..heck if i know.

does zelda's up b not have much lag? i tried fsmashing with marth and she shielded it..so it seems grabs are less risky
I don't like approaching Zelda very much and usually just camp with ice blocks and blizzard a lot. If you can get her directly above you, then that is good for you. IIRC, Up-B doesn't have much lag if she angles it downward from above and lands directly on the stage.

other notes and questions:

2. So vs fox i was having a rather interesting problem...basically i did not seem to be able to approach at all moving forward. dashdance desynchs the ICs, so it seems pretty bad..but if you dash forward he can overshoot hit nairs to catch you as you wd back..and when i dashdance nana seems to get hit anyway..
The only way you can really approach Fox when facing forward is by catching him off-guard. Ftilt is my favorite move for serving this purpose, but is not the only thing that will work, and sometimes other things are better depending on what the Fox likes to do. I generally prefer to get close to the Fox, bait a response, see what he likes to do and punish that instead, but against patient players, rushing in at a weird time is sometimes is a good idea.

all of this is solved when i'm facing backwards because i can space bairs to keep him honest about coming in...but i'm wondering if i have other options for competing with nair when they come in. is uptilt capable of beating nair coming in from the side or does it only work by hitting the fox before or in the beginning of the jump.
Our utilt should not beat a well-spaced nair from the side. Angled-up ftilt should beat nair; I've been an advocate of that a long time even though I basically never do it anymore. I should pick that up again. What you should do against nair generally depends a lot on how he spaces it. I often retreat and try to punish him as he lands or just throw out something more disjointed (generally fsmash, but doing that too much never works out well against good players; it's good when done sparingly, though). It's often not bad to just shield the nair and see what the Fox likes to do from there. Some Foxes that aren't confident in their pressure will do full jump aerial pressure, which is easy to beat with uair. Ones that go for longer, more complicated pressure will often screw up and leave themselves open to a shield-grab; tighter Foxes won't mess up as often, in which case you might just want to roll away or WD OoS away. Going for a passive option is admittedly generally better against great players, so don't get in that habit too much. Also, when you're at low percentages, you can just CC -> dsmash/shield-grab a lot of nairs. There are plenty of other things you can try, too. Dash attack can work, but I'd recommend against it since in spite of having nice follow-ups, it's surprisingly easy for Fox to outprioritize it, and you get punished terribly if he baits it; it's still occasionally decent, though.

maybe i just need to relook at the hitboxes but i wasn't able to really get uptilt or upsmash to beat a nair...i have hit uptilts but they were usually chasing fox as he was moving around or coming down from a platform...horizontally ICs seem very weak when facing forward. is the solution to just dashdance even though nana desynchs? i was kind of looking at nana desynching as too dangerous..i think they split us up whenever i dashdance but maybe i'm doing it wrong.
Yeah, usmash and utilt should generally be reserved for hitting a Fox descending at you. ICs' options when facing forward aren't bad at all, but if you'd rather face backwards most of the time, that's fine. You sacrifice a couple good options, but gain a couple other ones. Dash-dancing is okay, too. Even if it doesn't work out quite how you planned, you can easily get back in sync with a wavedash immediately after the DD. More generally, jumping (mainly short hopping) out of a dash-dance can be a good way of not losing track of Nana.

also lasers from falco are the worst cause they turn you around...on big stages you need to approach if he's camping, but you can't properly approach him facing backwards cause the lasers always turn you around.
ICs are great at dealing with lasers when facing forward, so this isn't an issue at all. The simplest thing to try is to use ice blocks to create little holes in Falco's camping that let you get closer, and then you can see how he responds to you being close to him and act accordingly. There are plenty of other weird tricks for dealing with lasers, too.

also, i don't know how i ever had trouble as marth vs ICs..i think my trouble back when i was marth was because i tried to approach the ICs...why does marth need to approach ICs when ICs seem to have such unreliable approaches against marth....outspacing marth is doable..but if they just walk forward and then dtilt at the right range i feel as if i'm at a disadvantage. i think i only won matches cause they die to dsmashes while trying to kill nana
1) Marth does need to approach ICs if the ICs know how to camp Marth, because ICs blatantly beat Marth in camping wars.

2) I have two main ways of dealing with things like Marth's dtilt. The classical counter to dtilt is fair. This is nice in that it will very cleanly hit Marth if your read is good, and you can get a mileage off of it if you connect. It's not nice in that Marth can punish you pretty hard if he reads it. The second option is to just not let Marth be in a position to use dtilt in the first place, which is a natural consequence of good camping. More specifically, desynched ice blocks (mainly those shot by Nana) inhibit Marth's ability to approach on the ground. Unless the Marth is brain-dead, the ice blocks probably won't hit him, but they will prevent him from doing stuff like just walking up and using dtilt. This approach opens up another can of worms, as Marth has ways around this sort of camping and ICs have counters to those counters, and so on, and sometimes in the course of this mess Marth will find opportunities to use dtilt anyways. I'm too tired to detail how all of this works plays out and I've kind of strayed a bit from the main question anyways.

question 3..how to edgeguard marth...edgeguarding from on stage doesn't work...what about with ledge invuln..i know i can stand on and smash..but i want more...can i trade nairs or bairs rising on stage or even falling offstage..i just want new edgeguards
Rising invulnerable nairs are good against Marths that aren't familiar with it, and sometimes works against those who are anyways. It's mainly useful against Marth's that up-B onstage in response to the opponent grabbing the edge. You can also use high invulnerable ledgehop nairs to intercept Marths that are recovering high pretty well. Ice blocks tend to be pretty good against recovering Marths, too. They can cut his double jump short and otherwise interfere with his recovery. Ledgedrop bair is good for intercepting Marth out of his side-B when he's recovering low. If you're onstage, you can run or short hop off and nair Marth out of his side-B, but if he reads this, you can get screwed over.

"
If the Fox is shffl'ing aerials, you have a few options for stopping him in his tracks. One is dash dancing into grabs; even though it splits Nana up, you have decent combo options off up-throw, and it's still possible tech-chase with down-throw and back-throw. If he is at a high percent, you can wait for Nana to return before using a finisher combo. The other strong defense against his SHFFL offensive is retreating wavedashes into jabs. They come out quickly, and do very well to interrupt his n-air and d-air. Jabbing won't beat a shine, but it's faster and safer than a smash. It can lead into grabs and smashes, and you should use them frequently."

from the guide..so i guess i will stick to that if you guys don't know anything else...i think that wd into jab seems better than dashdance at low percents at least...i play marth vs fox enough to know that ICs won't beat a competent fox off of dashdance grabbing his aerials if the punish is something weak that solo popo can do.....so i'm guessing that that is really only of much benefit at high percent...i hope wd into jab is pretty good cause otherwise i think ICs have a really bad problem with keep away style campy foxes.

turning around beats everything though..you just can't approach very well though;p
I don't agree with using jab this way in the first place. Wavedash back -> jab against a nair or dair requires a very specific wavedash spacing, and jab doesn't reliably lead to anything, although it's still good and has its place in the match-up. I'd rather skip the middle man and go for something more substantial than a jab from the get-go. Relevant to facing backwards, you can dash back, short hop, and bair; if you pull in so that you don't lose a bunch of space during the short hop, this can be pretty good, and there isn't much to lose if you already have control of center stage, so it's okay then. I talked about other responses to this sort of approach earlier.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Random, but I had to play Vudujin in bracket at Impulse and realized that if you blizzard / ice block spam under a platform, Luigi can't really do anything. Might be useful to anyone who doesn't like this matchup =p

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think I tied for 9th with Raynex, SFAT, and Weon-X. I lost to unknown522 twice in brackets. It was kinda dumb because Juggleguy upset unknown in pools, so he ended up as a 2nd seed. So, even though I was a 1st seed, my first round (other than the bye) was vs. unknown.

In teams, KK and I lost to Hbox / Kage round 2 and then beat some ppl and lost to m2k / Toph, ending up in 7th. The m2k / Toph set came down to the wire in the 3rd game and we couldn't finish them off.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Well, my goal was top-8, so not really lol. Also other than having unknown twice I had an admittedly easy bracket (besides Vudujin) and my pool was a joke. I would have loved to have had to play either I.B, Bam, Raynex, Silent Wolf, Idea, Toph, etc. b/c I'm fairly confident I would have been able to beat them.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i think jab is something that can be done on reaction to the realization that your wd back was insufficient..i was just hoping that uptilt could serve this purpose as well, but i guess not.

also thanks on the ledgedrop bair thing..i think that may be what i needed..didn't really think about it much at the time...in match is a bad place to invent your offstage game if you want to win.

how many frames does ftilt come out in? just curious..angled ftilt sounds like a good idea..but if i were marth i know that wouldn't come out in time if they are spacing properly...but marth's ftilt is actually quite slow cause it comes out low to high, making it less effective at blocking such things...i believe it takes two extra frames to reach the spot where a fox's incoming nair would be...

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
still nothing about the ftilt frame data..i'll look it up later i guess.

on another note..is it reliable to have popo eat marth's up b sweetspot by getting close and then hitting with nana...i've done this before..i somehow walk in range of dsmash (which if i were solo popo would be a dropped edgeguard since up b outranges popo's dsmash) but somehow popo gets hits away while nana's dsmash gets out. i'm confused as to what is happening. is marth getting caught in the hitstun for hitting popo so he doesn't keep moving the hitbox up/forward? or is something else at work...i've definitely hit this 2-3 times over the course of a mere 5 matches..so i was curious if anyone else knows anything about this

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Zac = SFAT?
He had a huge lead against Kage in game 3 and choked.
I cant believe he choked 2 and a half stocks though.. That seems quite odd.. One usmash i was dead but I somehow won. lol. My train of thought was like, whytf did I CP Dreamland vs Fox, I'm dumb.. I really thought I had no chance to win but i still played.. and I ended up winning because he went off-stage at 50% and I daired him at the end.

Edit: I watched the vid and it appeared that I made him slip off-stage by whiffing a grab but he was facing away from the ledge, unfortunate for him.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
SFAT vs Kage is recorded, it'll be on YouTube tomorrow.

Sorry bout the Unknown thing Nintendude, I think he was playing on like 2 hours of sleep.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Whatever condition he was in, props to you for managing to beat him. Do you have my sets vs Vudujin and Winston on your recording stuff as well?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Hi, is there any data saved for your partner on memory card, as in do they get more experience?
yea you can essentially "level up" your nana like in an rpg. It basically remembers certain moves that you do often and nana will use those moves more often

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Seriously, some Cpus really seem to learn some new stuff. It's like they know new combos all of a sudden. lol. I remember a Ganon that did Dair into Nair/Fair combo once.. I was like WHATTT!!!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well they kind do because their limited response is based on how you play. So because of the way you play is different or changes how you level up, the cpus can do different things you arent exactly used to. This is real.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Well they kind do because their limited response is based on how you play. So because of the way you play is different or changes how you level up, the cpus can do different things you arent exactly used to. This is real.

Top Bottom