• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Fox Questions.

Liku

Smash Journeyman
Very seldom I attempt to Shine(Via Thumb-Slide), and Fox moves very quickly, and the Shine actually doesn't come out. Everytime this happens I seem to miss, does the Shine have to appear in order to connect? Or am I just fluent at missing when I do this?

The only person I really play in Smash is my friend, since Project64K gives me a slew of errors, and he's a dodgey Falcon that sets everything up with a grab. If I hit his shield from an Aerial, he's going to grab me; would it be into my best interest to try and pull off a Shine as soon as I land, hoping to hit him? Or try and counter with a grab?

I only grab early in the match or when I can catch them rebounding off the wall, since I'd rather keep the match quick rather spam them with laser when recovering from the throw. It probably costs me matches, but I don't care much.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Eh, outside from shinespiking every now and then and reflecting, the shine is bad. I wouldn't recommend it in the middle of the battle, except in some very situational cases. The best thing you can do is spam lasers to get an opening and go on from there.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
if you slide too fast the hitbox for the shine won't appear, so you have to force yourself to delay the buttons a little bit.

Vs falcon spam laser and SHuair and falcon will have quite a difficult time landing hits on you.

Liku

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try spamming him more.

Volrec

Smash Lord
I love the shine cancel out of shield, it works 70% of the time. Ask Meow, it works, for me anyway.

I try doing Neph-Style and break some shields, but i've only got up to amaxiumum of like 6 shines. =(

ant-d

Smash Lord
It is wrong to think that if you press Jump, Down+B too fast you will hear the sound but wont see the shine.

If you do it too fast then Fox will just jump.

You can only be 1 frame too fast because the window is 2 frames long.

This is because if you are 'too fast' then you are just jumping and doing the reflector before leaving the ground. Which of course results in a jump.

ant-d

Smash Lord
It always comes out.

You must take into consideration the slope of the surface and the buttons you actually press.

It should be noted that it is very difficult to do Fox's shine cancel too fast (no matter what may you think).

If you try to shine cancel on a slightly sloped surface it will work fine. However, us humans are not very good at pressing the right buttons/directions even though we think we did.

The reason is human error. If you incorrectly do Fox's shine cancel, by pressing Down-Forward+B then Fox will move towards the slope and will be cancelled faster than usual. The actual 'shine' is visible (not the blue reflector but the shining thing).

It depends on the type of ground/platform Fox is on and of course on the accuracy of the player. There are other situations where Fox's reflector wont be visible but I'm too tired to think and list them.

Ironically, this means the player was 'too slow' in the first place.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Sweet somehin in my mind told me slope had something to do with it. Shines worked weird in hyrule slopes. I guess now that I see the frame data it seems impossible to cancel too fast.

Top Bottom