• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I started playing Final Fantasy XIII for the first time.

I just reached Chapter 3 and so far, I'm really liking it. I feel like this is a game I should have bought and played years ago. Before, I was really cautious to give this game a try because of the mixed opinions surrounding it. Yes, the game was linear but I don't think that's its main fault. I actually enjoy exploring the game's areas as linear as they are. They're very beautiful and the slight variations in the paths keep me interested. The real problem is the lack of a hub world of some kind connecting it all. Recently, I just went from an intense boss battle, to Snow's fight against his Eidolon, to a riveting chase sequence. While all that was fun, I felt a strong need to unwind afterwards. The flashback to the 11th Day didn't do that for me. Even with that, the story was still in total control of the pace. If this game had something akin to Mass Effect's Normandy and Citadel, I wouldn't care at all that the structure is so linear.

Other than that, I find the battle system to be the best one I've seen yet in a Final Fantasy (I've played IV-IX). I found it to be a little overwhelming at first (there's A LOT to pay attention to) but so far, it's amazing. Also, the paradigms were introduced earlier than I thought. That's another good thing!

My biggest fear with the game at the moment is that it's going to become really tiring for me. If it keeps this pattern of intense things consistently happening with nothing really there in between to break it all up, I think I'm going to feel repeatedly exhausted. Hopefully, I stay long enough to get to the Gran Pulse part.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
A Final Fantasy Tactics Advance discussion!? It got over already?

My 2 cents:

It was an amazing game and it still is. The story is not quite as simple as it seems as you guys surmised and things are much darker than they seem because the world is led around by the whims of a disgruntled kid. I felt Marche was in the right and wrong at the same time as he was trying to serve a better cause while sacrificing an ideal world for his friend. Although I can't say I remember much, it's been ages since I played it.

Now I feel like playing it again. And finishing FInal Fantasy Tactics Advance A2....

I started playing Final Fantasy XIII for the first time.

I just reached Chapter 3 and so far, I'm really liking it. I feel like this is a game I should have bought and played years ago. Before, I was really cautious to give this game a try because of the mixed opinions surrounding it. Yes, the game was linear but I don't think that's its main fault. I actually enjoy exploring the game's areas as linear as they are. They're very beautiful and the slight variations in the paths keep me interested. The real problem is the lack of a hub world of some kind connecting it all. Recently, I just went from an intense boss battle, to Snow's fight against his Eidolon, to a riveting chase sequence. While all that was fun, I felt a strong need to unwind afterwards. The flashback to the 11th Day didn't do that for me. Even with that, the story was still in total control of the pace. If this game had something akin to Mass Effect's Normandy and Citadel, I wouldn't care at all that the structure is so linear.

Other than that, I find the battle system to be the best one I've seen yet in a Final Fantasy (I've played IV-IX). I found it to be a little overwhelming at first (there's A LOT to pay attention to) but so far, it's amazing. Also, the paradigms were introduced earlier than I thought. That's another good thing!

My biggest fear with the game at the moment is that it's going to become really tiring for me. If it keeps this pattern of intense things consistently happening with nothing really there in between to break it all up, I think I'm going to feel repeatedly exhausted. Hopefully, I stay long enough to get to the Gran Pulse part.
I still need to try Final Fantasy XIII. I am going to try to treat it as a separate game rather than a FF series game just in case to not get disappointed.

finalark

SNORLAX
For me, FFXIII was a huge case of reverse hype. After hearing about how awful it was I avoided it nonstop until it hit the $20 mark. At that point I figured I might as well give it a try and see what all the hate was about. After trying it for myself, I actually found myself liking the game quite a bit. Sure, it is one of the weaker FF games and I could see why some folks would dislike it, but its nowhere near as a bad as people say it is. It's not even the worse FF game IMO (that dishonor goes to II).

But yeah, I will agree the game does have some pacing issues and doesn't give you a whole lot of room to breathe.

I still need to try Final Fantasy XIII. I am going to try to treat it as a separate game rather than a FF series game just in case to not get disappointed.
You should treat it like an FF game. The Final Fantasy series isn't about emulating FFVII or FFIV. It's a constantly evolving series where each entry brings countless new things to the table. FFXIII is just as valid of an FF game as as any of the other ones.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As much as I dislike XIII, it's definitely not a bad game at all. Just not a good FF game that lives up to its predecessors (for me).

The game was at its funnest during Pulse because it finally dropped all the handholding and gave optional cutscenes. The battle system wasn't too bad. It was heavily momentum based which was interesting. The leveling up system could've used a lot of work though. Nowhere near as good as the Sphere Grid and License Board. @ Carrill Carrill mentioning the need to unwind was also a problem for me. X had a lot of those which allowed the group (and player) to relax, collect their thoughts, and interact. While the linearity and the cutscene breaks in XIII emulated the need to always be on the move, it's not good for the player.

The game was rushed though, so it did what it could do. It lets me allow things to slide by, but I really didn't like the story and dialogue of this game. After coming from XII's VAs and dialogue, this was a big step down. The story being half told through data logs was also really bad.

I quit halfway on my replay of it, but I should probably get back to it during the summer. Kinda curious on ranking my FFs again after I'm done.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
The game was at its funnest during Pulse because it finally dropped all the handholding and gave optional cutscenes. The battle system wasn't too bad. It was heavily momentum based which was interesting. The leveling up system could've used a lot of work though. Nowhere near as good as the Sphere Grid and License Board. @ Carrill Carrill mentioning the need to unwind was also a problem for me. X had a lot of those which allowed the group (and player) to relax, collect their thoughts, and interact. While the linearity and the cutscene breaks in XIII emulated the need to always be on the move, it's not good for the player.
I feel like XIII had a lot of interesting ideas but failed to implement them well. The battle system in particular is a good example for this. Lots of neat ideas, but after dumping the 30 hours or so required to beat the game all the fights felt the same. Frequently attack to build up that stagger meter, swing on over to heals/buff/defense when the going gets tough then swing back to offence once your party is feel better. At least, that's how I remember feeling about the battle system.

The crystarium felt like an evolution of the sphere grid, only instead of having a massive, sprawling skill tree for each character you had a tiny one for each class. For me, having only those tiny trees to fill out made leveling less satisfying and I rarely felt like my characters were getting my powerful. I feel like they added the ability to level up your equipment as a way to mitigated this, but even if you did upgrade your gear it usually wasn't long until you found something better anyway, making this pointless.

On the story front, again I feel like there was a lot of good ideas but it just wasn't handled very well. Despite everyone in the narrative throwing around the word "focus" the story certainly lacked one. The game's poor pacing meant that the plot was all over the place and it rarely gave you time to absorb what just happened before hopping onto the neat plot thread or subplot. It doesn't help that the antagonist was completely forgettable and the last act of the game had a "making-it-up-as-we-go-along" sort of feel to it. I did like most of the cast quite a bit, though. Even Hope, who I didn't really mind all that much.

If I was to rank FF series from best the worst XIII would probably be near the bottom of the list. I still think it's flaws are horribly overstated. IMO it's not the worst FF, I wouldn't even group it in as one of the worst JRPGs. I think the issue that a lot of people had with XIII was that it was average. While bandwagoners like to board the Squeenix hate train these days, back when XIII came out the general census was that Squeenix simply didn't make average games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Crystarium felt like a normal leveling up system to be honest. Just with a pretty interface. While the paradigms opening up before Pulse felt great, I was disappointed with how the Crystarium opened up. You got more options, but there was little reason to stray from the usual. So many points would be wasted, so you were better leaving it all near the end. Sphere Grid felt cohesive and rather brilliant once you go to that one point in the game.

I do like that a character's role in battle still felt unique at the end though, so that was nice. Too bad you knew which characters were better than others.

Last edited:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Luckily most of 13's flaws were addressed and "fixed" for 13-2. It certainly didn't feel as fast paced as the first one.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I thought FF13 battle system was excellent, my only grievance with it was that it didn't demand that the player learn it intricately for any of the main story. Although it's a over-exaggeration to say you could breeze through the entire game by doing auto-battle... you could blow through most of it up until near the end with auto-fight, and it wasn't until you reached that final stretch that you had to think about what you were doing.

The game's battle system was at it's best in the optional end-game content. The undying cie'th, neo-ochu, adamanchelid, long gui, vercingetorix and all that good stuff. Fighting all the optional bosses in that game was genuinely some of the most fun I've had in a FF game, the battle system is pretty great. Problem is I had to max out the crystarium for every character to do it, and that was such an immense chore to do. Grinding out appropriate weapons for doing all the content too was likewise a complete chore, farming the Adamantoise in Eden Hall for Platinum Ingots and Trapezohedrons was brain numbing. Though getting the technique for farming adamantoise down to perfection was kind of nice, since at the beginning just managing to kill one of those things feels insurmountable, and by the end I was dropping them in under 90 seconds. Ended up 100% the achievements for that in the end.

If the main story had forced me to learn the battle system as intricately as I did instead of the super optional stuff, I'd probably have appreciated my first playthrough of FF13 more. It's a good game, but depending on what you look for in an FF game YMMV. It was different but I liked it. Cast was a mixed bag but Sazh and Fang were fairly redeeming characters and Lightning is likeable enough by the end.

Never played 13-2 or LR returns, I generally try to avoid direct FF sequels, so I don't know how much of a step up/down the combat systems are in those games. Though by all accounts the combat is apparently the most redeeming part of those two games.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Never played 13-2 or LR returns, I generally try to avoid direct FF sequels, so I don't know how much of a step up/down the combat systems are in those games. Though by all accounts the combat is apparently the most redeeming part of those two games.
I don't think all the sequels are bad, I hear that After Years is pretty good. Although frankly speaking I haven't played very many of sequels. My only real experience with FF sequels is Advent Children, which was a great popcorn flick, but not a very good follow up on FFVII. I did finally get around to watching AC Complete a few weeks ago, though. It is significantly better than the original. In book terms, AC Complete feels like the final draft while AC feels like a fresh manuscript that was just shipped off to the editor.

I haven't played any of the XIII sequels entirely because I didn't enjoy XIII enough to want to give them a go. Plus I've heard a lot of mixed things on them. The only other major sequel I can think of is FF X-2, which I've been on the fence about playing for a long time now. On the one hand, I hear the game play is really, really fun. On the other hand, the game looks like what would happen if you threw a focus group consisting of Japanese males ages 15-25 at an FF game.

EDIT: Almost forgot about Revenant Wings. I have a friend who's played it, she says its pretty decent for what it is but I personally have yet to try it. I might borrow it from her someday, though.

Last edited:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Revenant Wings is the only direct sequel I can say I thoroughly enjoyed actually. Very nifty game that doesn't take too many liberties with the story from what I remember. It also turns Vaan from pointless schmuck to likeable lead character, which is a bonus point IMO.

My main issue with direct sequels is that none of the original games have ever been made to accommodate them and sequels usually don't do a good job at making themselves fit in seamlessly IMO. The stories more or less always wrap up nice and neat with a bow on top, and the sequels take large liberties with either the characters or story of the original entry to the point where I find it hard to enjoy. FF10-2 has a great combat system, but it's buried under a thick helping of over-the-top Charlie's Angels campiness, unlikeable characters and questionable moments. Most of that is fairly forgiveable but what genuinely makes me dislike it is what I view to be the retroactive butchering of Yuna's character, and how the 100% ending of 10-2 basically makes the emotional impact of X's ending meaningless. But, as said, all that aside, the combat is rock solid and very well done.

I have a similar dislike for most of the FF7 compilation, especially Dirge of Cerberus. The story of that game was borderline obnoxious, and they went full Mary-Sue with Vincent in that game. I haven't played the FF13 sequels but I've read up on the story enough out of curiosity to know it's a mess. The retcon they pull on FF13's ending to set-up 13-2 is almost laughable. Haven't played the After Years, might give it a try though.

I adore the original entries, I just feel like the sequels are generally very poorly done in terms of being cohesive with the game they progress from and take too many liberties. Mind you it's not all bad, Crisis Core is a mixed bag of good stuff and bad stuff. Zack Fair and pre-insanity Sephiroth were actually good avenues to explore and I was very fond of both characters, though I wish they'd shown more of Sephiroth. I could completely do without Genesis and Angeal though, I don't feel like the over-arcing story of FF7 was any better for their inclusion. AC Complete is fun to watch, I'll happily give it that much.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't played Revenant Wings, but I don't really plan to either, even though I enjoyed XII. Being directed and written by Toriyama doesn't fill me with confidence either.

finalark

SNORLAX
FF10-2 has a great combat system, but it's buried under a thick helping of over-the-top Charlie's Angels campiness, unlikeable characters and questionable moments. Most of that is fairly forgiveable but what genuinely makes me dislike it is what I view to be the retroactive butchering of Yuna's character, and how the 100% ending of 10-2 basically makes the emotional impact of X's ending meaningless. But, as said, all that aside, the combat is rock solid and very well done.
I have a friend who is willing to fight me tooth and nail on X-2 being a better game than X, usually citing the story and game play as why its better.

Although he really didn't like X and is really wrapped up into the whole Jpop Idol scene, so I suppose that has something to do with it. As someone who dislikes that sort of thing, seeing a woman who was raised in modest piety suddenly don booty shorts and revealing tops is an immediate turn off for me and practically screams "focus groups."

Although I haven't played the game yet, I should get around to it some day. I might be able to look past the things that bother me to enjoy it.

Crisis Core is a mixed bag of good stuff and bad stuff. Zack Fair and pre-insanity Sephiroth were actually good avenues to explore and I was very fond of both characters, though I wish they'd shown more of Sephiroth. I could completely do without Genesis and Angeal though, I don't feel like the over-arcing story of FF7 was any better for their inclusion. AC Complete is fun to watch, I'll happily give it that much.
I feel like Angeal exists because Squeenix realized that the buster sword had become iconic at the point and wanted to give it some sort of greater purpose in the overarcing narrative. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that that in VII it has zero significance and is quickly replaced with something better.

As for Genesis, I felt like his personality and development was too similar to Sephiroth's. It's almost like the creative team at Square doesn't know how to write a story in the FFVII 'verse without Sephiroth or a very similar character serving as an antagonist.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Weird. Apparently the new Dissidia is by Team Ninja. Honestly not too bad of a choice though. Team Ninja does hit that spot of casual/competitive that Dissidia had. Plus it doesn't seem like people that dislike fan service will have to worry too much judging from that one trailer.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Link?

I'm actually not too upset about that. I hear that the Dead or Alive games, despite being known for the fan service rather than the game play, are actually pretty deep if you can get into them. My only real experience with those games was a little bit of DOA4 when a friend rented it, which I remember having some neat features but really didn't hook me. Hopefully they'll do a good job with Dissida III.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wish I could read kanji =/

The cabnet looks unothodox, but since you tend to fly around a lot in these games it makes since in a weird sort of way. If this gets a home port it makes me wonder if we'll get special Final Fantasy Flight Sticks for the hardcore crowd.

EDIT: Oh hey, looks like a PS4 port was mentioned.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Deserves a double post, because they announced they're having over 50 characters. Also one of them is revealed to be Ramza

Twewy

Smash Lord
Well they've caught my interest already, time to pray to every god available for a PC port so I only have to worry about upgrading mine instead of getting a PS4...

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Deserves a double post, because they announced they're having over 50 characters. Also one of them is revealed to be Ramza

IT'S HAPPENING

All I ever wanted in Dissidia was to play as Ramza. First info dump they give and we get Ramza. Dissidia 3 best dissidia, GOTY every year, etc. I'm very much looking forward to this

Now I really want some more gameplay footage.

EDIT: I seem to be getting everything I want, I managed to find some new gameplay footage, seems summons are now temporary teammates in battle:

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I don't think all the sequels are bad, I hear that After Years is pretty good. Although frankly speaking I haven't played very many of sequels. My only real experience with FF sequels is Advent Children, which was a great popcorn flick, but not a very good follow up on FFVII. I did finally get around to watching AC Complete a few weeks ago, though. It is significantly better than the original. In book terms, AC Complete feels like the final draft while AC feels like a fresh manuscript that was just shipped off to the editor.
Yea Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete did a much better job at tying loose ends and explaining the storyline more than the original did. Plus it looked pur-tier! And added bonus of them actually getting wounded, bruised, etc.

Well they've caught my interest already, time to pray to every god available for a PC port so I only have to worry about upgrading mine instead of getting a PS4...
Same here. I am hoping that KH3, FFXV and this new game make their way to PC, eventually considering SE is now putting more games on PC. Plus they have stated they will consider it.

The Dissidia reveal is interesting, still have to play the originals though. From what I have seen of them, I will probably like 'em. By the way, the title of the thread is Dissida... instead of Dissidia.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The newest Dissidia is being made with the help of Team Ninja, and they are using PS4 custom tools made for arcades.

So a PS4 port is more than likely going to happen.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm super excited, but I'm also worried about the size of the roster. Obviously it's not going to be particularly balanced, and I imagine that there's going to be a lot of clones. Well, at least we can't complain about an entry being underrepresented.

Also, I'm super hyped for the PS4 port since it means that us westerners will actually get to play it.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Woooaaah, Ramza! Every character reveal after this is just icing. I wonder how he'll work. He'd better be able to throw rocks at people. :p

Also, gameplay system stuff is on this page (in Japanese of course):

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/DFF/PR/system.html

So far, all I've got is that summons are used with a gauge that is shared by the entire team. And I'm less certain of this, but it seems that summons also have a passive effect for the team in addition to fighting.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Despite all of the info we've been getting the new trailer was kinda underwhelming IMO. I wish they had shown off some more game play or at least didn't recycle so much from the first trailer.

But that Midgar at the end, though.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
According to the Nova Crystallis article, a "Cocoon" stage was announced. (But not shown?) I have to assume they were being intentionally nonspecific. I'm guessing it's in Eden, personally.

Also, a bit about EX Mode. It seems to be primarily a passive effect for your team or to be inflicted on the enemy team. The site uses Protect and Slow as examples. However, it also says something about character specific abilities like Cloud's Limit Break and Terra's Morph, but I can't figure it out.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I'm super excited, but I'm also worried about the size of the roster. Obviously it's not going to be particularly balanced, and I imagine that there's going to be a lot of clones. Well, at least we can't complain about an entry being underrepresented.

Also, I'm super hyped for the PS4 port since it means that us westerners will actually get to play it.
I'm not too sure we'll have to worry about clones. It's worth keeping in mind that Dissidia: Duodecim had a cast of 30 characters already as it is, and current estimates say to expect 50 so it's only 20 more. Dissidia's characters have all played uniquely, even Bartz who's comprised of other characters moves doesn't play like anyone else due to the variance in how all his moves come together. With the absolutely vast amount of unique flavour each FF character has thanks to limit breaks and special/job abilities within each entry across the series, I think we'll be fine on the clone front.

On a side note, with spin-offs now being fair game for Dissidia with the inclusion of Ramza, I'm wondering if they'll do more spin-off characters. I imagine someone from Type-0 might get someone after all the fuss of getting it to the west (also the fact it's sold a million copies on PS4 I believe?), the hype is there. I assume they'd pick Ace as he seems to be Type-0's poster boy. Wouldn't mind FF Tactics Advance getting in on the action, Marche maybe? The Judge of Wings from FF12: RW would be nifty, she's pretty badass...

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as spin-off representation goes, I wouldn't mind someone from the Crystal Chronicles series. Although I've only played the first one on GCN and I can't really think of anyone particularly interesting who could work. But I hear the sequels have much more defined characters that they could pull from.

I imagine someone from Type-0 might get someone after all the fuss of getting it to the west (also the fact it's sold a million copies on PS4 I believe?), the hype is there. I assume they'd pick Ace as he seems to be Type-0's poster boy.
At this point I'd be more surprised if there wasn't someone from Type-0. As you said, it's been hyped up like crazy and Square is already planning sequels and trying to turn it into its own sub series akin to the Ivalice Alliance. I really don't know any of the characters since I've been purposely avoiding spoilers, so I don't know who they'd pick. Probably the blonde due who always shows up in promos and is on the cover of the game, who minimal research tell me is Ace. So yeah, you're probably right.

If they really wanted to troll the fan base they could include characters from Mystic Quest.

Twewy

Smash Lord
As far as spin-off representation goes, I wouldn't mind someone from the Crystal Chronicles series. Although I've only played the first one on GCN and I can't really think of anyone particularly interesting who could work. But I hear the sequels have much more defined characters that they could pull from.
That one dude from the Wii game could work. I forget his name, never touched the game, but I remembered him having some form of psychokinesi-wait a minute.

If they really wanted to troll the fan base they could include characters from Mystic Quest.
Are you saying you don't want Benjamin "Cure You To Death" "Shrug At Your Loss" "Did I Just Kill A ****ing Dinosaur Zombie with a Ninja" DemoPlay in Dissidia?

Hold up. Hold up.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Benjamin

"He reacts to the news that he is the prophesied Knight with a shrug,"
He doesn't give a damn that he's the chosen one and that everyone he knew and loved is dead, this is everyday work to him. He gets up everyday, looks at the town he JUST moved into get destroyed, and goes and fufills a prophecy. Why? He has nothing better to do. He gets that **** done, and doesn't spend a disc reenacting Crying Breakfast Friends.

"usually in response to his companions or odd helpers."
He don't care about no hypocritical tree hugger who swings around a big axe, or no cocky ninja, or no kid with daddy acceptance issues, OR no clutz who blows up more of the world with bombs than the villain does his plans. He babysits these thumb-suckers.
"Though he is adventurous, he tries to stay grounded in common sense compared to his sometimes-reckless friends."
He is the only sane man in his group. He don't care about no wacky crap going on, that tree has a face? I'LL HIT IT WITH MY SWORD.

Also let me point out, he gets nearly every weapon in the game. He can decide, at any point, that swords are for wusses, and go and HIT THEM WITH A GOD DAMN CLAW.

Look at this babe-magnet, this hero of the people, this Cure to Dissidia's lack of awesome, and tell me with the straightest face you can Benjamin doesn't deserve to be in Dissidia. He'll win the hell out of that Cycle, and walk up to Chaos and SHRUG in his face.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
They did confirm that 50+ characters are going to be in the game. I can pretty much imagine the majority of the cast from Dissidia and Theatrhythm in there, who would you guys want to see in the new Dissidia game?

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
It appears some actual in-game footage was streamed either yesterday or today, focusing on Y'shtola, that character from FF14. This video actually shows what the gameplay is like, with the in-game HUD and all.

Looks hectic, and fun, the only thing I don't like is how large the HUD is. Seems to cover up a considerable amount of the screen, so I'm hoping they'll consider making it more minimalistic as they continue through development.

Edit: Managed to dig up some more stuff; new screenshots. Character select screen and what seems to be ability select screen pehaps, also some more in-game shots from the perspective of other characters:

http://squareportal.net/2015/04/10/...lay-screenshots-off-screen/#jp-carousel-16786

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
It appears some actual in-game footage was streamed either yesterday or today, focusing on Y'shtola, that character from FF14. This video actually shows what the gameplay is like, with the in-game HUD and all.

Looks hectic, and fun, the only thing I don't like is how large the HUD is. Seems to cover up a considerable amount of the screen, so I'm hoping they'll consider making it more minimalistic as they continue through development.
I'm really down with FFXIV love. For all three of you out there who play, anyone else wanna see Thancred or Raubahn?

Also, I'll agree that the HUD seems excessively large. I really hope they shrink that down in the future.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354

Edit: Managed to dig up some more stuff; new screenshots. Character select screen and what seems to be ability select screen pehaps, also some more in-game shots from the perspective of other characters:

http://squareportal.net/2015/04/10/...lay-screenshots-off-screen/#jp-carousel-16786
Whew... There's a lot of juicy stuff in here. So the gauges in the top left make sense now. The outer ones are each team's summon gauge and the inner ones are the Party HP gauges.

I finally get how the EX stuff works, too. Looks like there's a unique skill for each character mapped to Triangle and two minor equippable skills mapped to Up+Triangle and Down+Triangle, and that's what those circles in the bottom left-ish area are.

Also, yay! Sage Onion is back! With a new fire spell! Neat!

Top Bottom