• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well Finalark, I have the DS remake and it has a bar, and when I played FFIV on the emulator for Snes I remember it having a bar... I think.

Who knows. And I just played Drakengard recently for four hours, then a power outage. Sucks.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well Finalark, I have the DS remake and it has a bar, and when I played FFIV on the emulator for Snes I remember it having a bar... I think.
The only version I played was the terrible PS1 port which had no bar and was very turn-based. That might be it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I just started a Tidus-Only run of FFX. I'm going to allow myself to customize and I won't do own-sphere grid because I don't want to kill myself and this is just a fun thing to do to kill time until BBCS comes out. I was able to get the Loner overdrive mode before Kilika, which is good cause that's where I'm on now and I need to grind. I think to ensure I don't constantly run out of potions I'll just camp the area near the save point.

Thoughts on this? Has anyone else done a challenge run in any FF game?

finalark

SNORLAX
So I just started a Tidus-Only run of FFX. I'm going to allow myself to customize and I won't do own-sphere grid because I don't want to kill myself and this is just a fun thing to do to kill time until BBCS comes out. I was able to get the Loner overdrive mode before Kilika, which is good cause that's where I'm on now and I need to grind. I think to ensure I don't constantly run out of potions I'll just camp the area near the save point.

Good luck, this is the first time I've heard of anyone doing a Titus-only run. I've actually never done a challenge run on any game now that I think about it. I might want to do that some time, maybe a Warrior-only run on FF1?

EDIT: Scratch that, I did a starter-only run in Pokemon Red a way while back.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
By Warrior-only do you mean a team or 4 warriors or a team of 1 warrior? I did the former on the GBA version of FFI and I gotta say it was quite easy since physical attackers are infinitely better than magical attackers in that game (level 60 Warriors with optimal equipment do about 3000 damage unboosted, level 60 Black Mages do about 700 damage with Flare...son I am dissappoint). The latter sounds quite difficult though, I couldn't even finish my Red Mage solo run on the GBA.

But man, I've done so many runs of FFI on the GBA. I've done Low Level Class Change, all sorts of variants of teams, 4 Warrior/Knights, 4 Black Mages/Wizards (which eventually was unsuccessful due to their aforementioned low damage output being extremely painful against Chaos), and Red Mage solo which I never finished. I love that game and I've put more hours into it than any other FF game by far.

finalark

SNORLAX
I meant only one warrior. And I feel you, FF1 is easily one of my favorite games. So much fun, so much you can do with it, just so good.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've never done any challenges in a Final Fantasy game. I always spent my times overleveling and stuff just to be overpowered for fun. The only "challenge" I've done is in FFVI where I beat the last dungeon with 3 party members.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I believe in the Femme Fatale.

- Lightning, Vanille, and Fang (only difficult during those parts when you have no control over your party members...which is the first 10 chapters -_-)
- Ashe, Penelo and Fran (barely counts as a challenge. I even played it with Ashe only. Still too easy)
- Yuna, Rikku, and Lulu (really easy. Yuna is absolutely devastating in combat)
- Rinoa, Selphie, and Quistis (well, Squall was in there at all times but I left him dead to ensure he'd never level up. You may only get this dream team on disc 4)
- Yuffie and Tifa (pretty challenging. leaving Cloud dead is quite hard to do when you're tempted to rely on his limit breaks. And no, I did not cheat to revive Aeris.)
- Terra, Celes, Relm (this is pretty tough. Relm's not very suited to team up with Terra and Celes alone)
- Lenna, Faris, & Krile (not difficult in any ways if you can stand being short-handed one character. Not using Galuf until you get Krile is quite a problem though)
-Rydia & Rosa (Welcome to hell. I have yet to beat this)
-Refia (fun as hell; got stuck at the Kraken for the longest time but I eventually beat it)

Didn't include X-2 for obvious reasons.

It's not just limited to the FF series. I've always attempted to replay games using only the girls. I'm into women in power, I suppose.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I meant only one warrior. And I feel you, FF1 is easily one of my favorite games. So much fun, so much you can do with it, just so good.
If you could do that on the NES version, I'd refer to you as a god.

I tried Excal II run, and they decided sanity was better. (Let me rephrase, I tried a LV1 Excal2 100% Run... nope(

I've got to do a max stat game of FFIX one day.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you could do that on the NES version, I'd refer to you as a god.
I should download an emulator and do a let's play of that. I'll probably get owned, given that I really don't know the NES version as well as I know the GBA version (which I could more or less tell you exactly how to get through the game from memory).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Garland, the first boss.

Has 73 HP. No big. Even @ lv7 you'll hit for around ~5 or so. Which is cool. But he can cast Death. Seriously? The first boss, really? I love you too SquareSoft. SquareHard.

finalark

SNORLAX
Garland, the first boss.

Has 73 HP. No big. Even @ lv7 you'll hit for around ~5 or so. Which is cool. But he can cast Death. Seriously? The first boss, really? I love you too SquareSoft. SquareHard.
Welcome to the NES, where everything is back-breakingly hard.

Well if I end up doing that expect a lot of off-screen grinding...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
When I beat Super Mario Bros. 3 I felt like I had accomplished something.

Then I remembered FF1 on my VC and fell back into reality.

That = FF1 on NES. It's beatable, but from a perfectionist view, a guy who likes mages, it'll break you.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I'll agree that IX had a cripplingly slow ATB system but it was far from unplayable. The game was all about reliving the Final Fantasy experience the way it once was. In a way, they succeeded. You can argue that the exclusion of Limit Breaks ruined the combat, but to the more old-school fans, that was what made the battles great.

HOWEVER

Trance itself was rather pointless and unbelievably flawed.
  • If you die, your meter resets.
  • The meter builds very marginally
  • All the effects are pretty lame
  • It cannot be activated manually
  • Should you enter Trance during the end of the battle, it'll go to waste and the meter will reset for the next battle.

-_- Why did every battle have to start with that stupid rotating camera BS? Seriously. It took forever.

And yes, IV had the first ATB system.
I never understood why FFIX's battle system was so slow. Even the animations for the attacks were slow. And I TOTALLY agree with you about the Trance system. I guess Square wanted to get back at us for abusing the Limit Break system in VIII. Aura + Lionheart/Armaggedon Fist = GG.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Funny thing is, FFX had meh overdrives as well. Bar a few of them, I can't say I ever cared for them.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I believe in the Femme Fatale.

- Lightning, Vanille, and Fang (only difficult during those parts when you have no control over your party members...which is the first 10 chapters -_-) I guess just do a no-Crystarium run on the male characters?
- Ashe, Penelo and Fran (barely counts as a challenge. I even played it with Ashe only. Still too easy)
- Yuna, Rikku, and Lulu (really easy. Yuna is absolutely devastating in combat) Yuna IS beastly. I think I might do a Yuna-only run after I finish my Tidus-only run.
- Rinoa, Selphie, and Quistis (well, Squall was in there at all times but I left him dead to ensure he'd never level up. You may only get this dream team on disc 4)
- Yuffie and Tifa (pretty challenging. leaving Cloud dead is quite hard to do when you're tempted to rely on his limit breaks. And no, I did not cheat to revive Aeris.) Did you at least do Tifa/Aeris only on Disc 1?
- Terra, Celes, Relm (this is pretty tough. Relm's not very suited to team up with Terra and Celes alone) Given how easy it is to grind in that game after a certain point and the fact that Celes and Terra are arguably two of the best characters in the game anyway this really doesn't seem too hard aside from only having 3 party members.
- Lenna, Faris, & Krile (not difficult in any ways if you can stand being short-handed one character. Not using Galuf until you get Krile is quite a problem though) Not using Galuf until you get Krile seems like she would be waaay behind on job mastery, so I'm guessing that's where most of this challenge came from.
-Rydia & Rosa (Welcome to hell. I have yet to beat this)
-Refia (fun as hell; got stuck at the Kraken for the longest time but I eventually beat it) Some would argue that since FFIII DS only gave the characters dubious non-canonical names this run wouldn't count.
Where is the Maria+Leila FFII run? But then again I guess you'd have to play FFII in order to do that, so it's not worth it.

Garland, the first boss.

That must only be the NES version. in the GBA version I remember beating him at level 1-3 frequently, and he had double HP in those versions.

Funny thing is, FFX had meh overdrives as well. Bar a few of them, I can't say I ever cared for them.
Speaking of overdrives, I'm still in Kilika and I already have Energy Rain. lololol

I'm starting to see why the Tidus-Only run is the easiest of all the single character runs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Where is the Maria+Leila FFII run? But then again I guess you'd have to play FFII in order to do that, so it's not worth it.

That must only be the NES version. in the GBA version I remember beating him at level 1-3 frequently, and he had double HP in those versions.

Speaking of overdrives, I'm still in Kilika and I already have Energy Rain. lololol

I'm starting to see why the Tidus-Only run is the easiest of all the single character runs.
Yeah, the GBA FF is the one to play. NES is so hard, so laggy, so impossible it's not worth it.

And I haven't played FFX since I was younger, so I don't remember how to get overdrives.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I didn't like the GBA version of FF 1 and 2. They were too easy.
The PS1 version was good from what I remember, but I think it didn't have that one mode that dealt with FFII. I haven't tried the PSP version. I might get that one someday.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well, while it was too easy, the NES is too hard. Even I have a level of bull**** I can take when it comes to this:

You spend 7 hours grinding from lv1 to lv13

You still don't have all the armor you need.

Oh btw, the boss still killed you because he casted Death 4 times.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Gates said:
I guess just do a no-Crystarium run on the male characters?
Practically. There's nothing more rewarding (at least to me) to see all the puny guys barely stand up to the girls, each of who can wipe out anything that stands in their way...

I have a complex >.>

Did you at least do Tifa/Aeris only on Disc 1?
I used Aeris. I leveled her up. But I didn't bother with her once I had Yuffie. If I could've, I would have hacked the game to have all three girls but oh well.

Given how easy it is to grind in that game after a certain point and the fact that Celes and Terra are arguably two of the best characters in the game anyway this really doesn't seem too hard aside from only having 3 party members.
Relm is the albatross around the Femme Fatale of this game. If you can manage only Celes and Terra, it's fine. It's essentially a magic-proof team (Rune <3)

Not using Galuf until you get Krile seems like she would be waaay behind on job mastery, so I'm guessing that's where most of this challenge came from.
That and the fact that Bartz is weaksauce.

Some would argue that since FFIII DS only gave the characters dubious non-canonical names this run wouldn't count.
That's why I could only play this challenge on the DS version. Think of it as a Solo-character playthrough.

Mhmm. Only beat that game once and it was more out of obligation than entertainment. If I have time, maybe.

Yuna IS beastly. I think I might do a Yuna-only run after I finish my Tidus-only run.
Shimazu said:
To be fair, in my run Yuna and Rikku were godly once maxed out. Their overdrives made them unique unlike Auron or Kimarhi whose one-hit attacks were practically useless (I'm not hating on Auron but his usefulness towards the end is over). Lulu, on the other hand, simply SUCKS.

Any character with a multi-hit (e.g. Tidus and Wakka) or could bestow special powers like summoning (e.g. Yuna) or alchemy (e.g. Rikku) were great.

Lulu's overdrive was so weak. You might as well use Doublecast.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
^ Due to the sphere grid, can't they all be godly though?
Consider everyone being at 255 on all attributes and that every character has gotten all the same techniques and skills and magic spells. Once you get to that point, Tidus casting Firaga will be the same as Lulu casting Firaga.

At that point, if you have a character that can inflict damage more than once in a single turn, he/she can do 99999 damage per hit.

Now consider that Auron has no multi-hit attacks. Kimarhi has no multi-hit attacks. Lulu's overdrive, EVEN AT MAX, does less than 99999 damage per hit even if you're great at rotating that analog stick.

Gates said:
Did you at least do Tifa/Aeris only on Disc 1?
Man, I should've gone for the obvious joke.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

Well someone must have at some point in this thread

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Consider everyone being at 255 on all attributes and that every character has gotten all the same techniques and skills and magic spells. Once you get to that point, Tidus casting Firaga will be the same as Lulu casting Firaga.

At that point, if you have a character that can inflict damage more than once in a single turn, he/she can do 99999 damage per hit.

Now consider that Auron has no multi-hit attacks. Kimarhi has no multi-hit attacks. Lulu's overdrive, EVEN AT MAX, does less than 99999 damage per hit even if you're great at rotating that analog stick.

Man, I should've gone for the obvious joke.
Hmmm. What do you mean multihits? God I need to play X, it's been so long...

DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

Well someone must have at some point in this thread

It's a good game. I always had the hots for Terra^^

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question for all those who have played FFTA2: Grimoire of the Rift: where are all the female Humes? This is bugging me. I'm trying to create yet another Femme Fatale team and anytime the Hume recruitment starts, they're all dudes. Talk about a sausage fest. My team consists of nothing but Adelle, a whole bunch of Viera, and a scrawny Luso. And yes, I've googled it. I can't find anything on the topic. Even the original Tactics has a simpler recruitment system.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I got Blitz Ace while grinding in Kilika Forest and my Tidus doesn't even know Slow yet.

Solo character runs are so screwy lolol.

It's especially cool because right now Lulu has a higher affection (or whatever it's called) level for me than Yuna, so she's the one who throws the blitzball.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Cyanne Garmonde has to be my favorite character in the whole FF series followed by Balthier, I wish thoese two would make it into a KH game, that would be good stuff.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I got Blitz Ace while grinding in Kilika Forest and my Tidus doesn't even know Slow yet.

Solo character runs are so screwy lolol.

It's especially cool because right now Lulu has a higher affection (or whatever it's called) level for me than Yuna, so she's the one who throws the blitzball.
WOW. I never knew there were affection levels :O. Lulu throws it for me too lol

kr3wman

Smash Master
How Tidus fell in love with Yuna and not Lulu will always be a mystery.

I mean, her dress is made out of BELTS!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Because she looks like a chubby gothic version of Angelena(sp) Jolie?

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Tidus kisses Yuna during her extremely vulnerable and traumatized state. Something about that is

None of the romances in the Final Fantasy stories were too compelling. The worst of all being VIII. I have multiple issues with the storytelling in that game but it did not convey the Squall-Rinoa relationship well. Granted, I did believe in Zidane-Garnet towards the end but that was about it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tidus kisses Yuna during her extremely vulnerable and traumatized state. Something about that is

None of the romances in the Final Fantasy stories were too compelling. The worst of all being VIII. I have multiple issues with the storytelling in that game but it did not convey the Squall-Rinoa relationship well. Granted, I did believe in Zidane-Garnet towards the end but that was about it.
I kinda liked the Squall-Rinoa relationship thing, but I still can't remember how Squall just suddenly fell for her. Just seemed spontaneous. I did like the storytelling with Laguna and his relationships though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I liked Zidane/Garnet and Tidus/Yuna.

Zidane man, he did everything to be with Garnet. He is a pro.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I kinda liked the Squall-Rinoa relationship thing, but I still can't remember how Squall just suddenly fell for her. Just seemed spontaneous.
That's precisely why it was not compelling. If the game was going to give us plenty of script involving the inner thoughts of Squall, why was there not even one thought box where he even showed any sign of attraction towards her?

A simple "...She's cute..." would've been enough.

Shimazu said:
Zidane man, he did everything to be with Garnet. He is a pro.
Indeed he is. Indeed he is.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yeah, 8 was weird. I have come to believe the theory that Squall is just dead, makes more sense than the storyline anyways lol. I replayed 9 and zomg its so good. I think Zidane + Dagger is the best love in any FF game ever. Tidus + Yuna being close behind.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Because she looks like a chubby gothic version of Angelena(sp) Jolie?
Why are you saying that like it's a bad thing? That would be totally awesome.

I think the best love story in all of the FF series is in FFIX - Quina+food.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Yeah, 8 was weird. I have come to believe the theory that Squall is just dead, makes more sense than the storyline anyways lol. I replayed 9 and zomg its so good. I think Zidane + Dagger is the best love in any FF game ever. Tidus + Yuna being close behind.
Lol "Dagger." I named my "Dagger" as "Garnet" and nobody caught me and pulled me over to inspect the person who looks like the princess and has the same name! HEHEHE.

But yeah, I liked Zidane/Garnet, too. :3 Loved the ending.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Lol "Dagger." I named my "Dagger" as "Garnet" and nobody caught me and pulled me over to inspect the person who looks like the princess and has the same name! HEHEHE.
You're not supposed to be able to do that. The game is supposed to consistently nag you until you change it to something aside from Garnet.

After checking the entire thread, I realized not a single soul mentioned Dissidia. =P

Top Bottom