• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually thought Cloud wasn't emo at all in FFVII. I thought he was until I replayed it. He was usually happy and he wasn't a character that always tried to be cool either. Even after a certain character died and his past being revealed, he didn't show too many signs of depression, IMO. I think Advent Children and KH made me think he was an emo-depressing character.
[/color][/FONT]
That might have been it. It's been a really long time since I last played though FFVII, but now that I think about it I really don't remember him being all emo in the game. I do remember him going from "complete douche" to "100% determined to help everyone" in a matter of like, two seconds though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Cloud isn't emo. One of the last lines in the game before the end fight is him saying "let's mosey!". If anything, he is self-centered and apathetic, and that's only in the beginning of the game.

Squall was the one that was whining and doing "..." all the time.

finalark

SNORLAX
Cloud isn't emo. One of the last lines in the game before the end fight is him saying "let's mosey!". If anything, he is self-centered and apathetic, and that's only in the beginning of the game.

Squall was the one that was whining and doing "..." all the time.
As Minato pointed out, it's KH and Advent Children Cloud that made him out to be emo.

I should play through FFVII again after I finish MGS2, I actually really don't remember what he was like after his spontaneous personality shift.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You know, I know this is FF thread, but there is no better place to say this. I wish some of SE's off the wall ideas got more recognition. The beginning may be a tad slow, but Drakengard (halfway in storyline, it's not really long but the replay value/maxing out adds up megatime) is pretty good, and all I remember was hate for it.

Also, Crystal Chronicles. Though the first had problems, it wasn't bad. And I'm decently far into Echoes of Time, and it's pretty good. I hope they make a 3DS one, but the fanbase is so small they may not. =/

finalark

SNORLAX
You know, I know this is FF thread, but there is no better place to say this. I wish some of SE's off the wall ideas got more recognition. The beginning may be a tad slow, but Drakengard (halfway in storyline, it's not really long but the replay value/maxing out adds up megatime) is pretty good, and all I remember was hate for it.

Also, Crystal Chronicles. Though the first had problems, it wasn't bad. And I'm decently far into Echoes of Time, and it's pretty good. I hope they make a 3DS one, but the fanbase is so small they may not. =/
I'd personally like it if Square stopped milking FF (and KH) all of the time and actually payed attention to their other franchises.

Chrono Trigger? Loved by a majority of people who played it. What did Square do with it? Gave it a sequel and ported it to the PlayStation and DS. That's it.

Or how about that one fighting game they made? I can't remember the name, but it was like Power Stone only on a more realistic level and it was pretty fun. To bad they never tried again after it.

How how about all of those FF spin-offs that could have just as easily been their own franchise (Crystal Chronicles, anyone)?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'd personally like it if Square stopped milking FF (and KH) all of the time and actually payed attention to their other franchises.

Chrono Trigger? Loved by a majority of people who played it. What did Square do with it? Gave it a sequel and ported it to the PlayStation and DS. That's it.

Or how about that one fighting game they made? I can't remember the name, but it was like Power Stone only on a more realistic level and it was pretty fun. To bad they never tried again after it.

How how about all of those FF spin-offs that could have just as easily been their own franchise (Crystal Chronicles, anyone)?
Dissidia was fail, but the PS1 fighting game was win.

Also, I agree with you 100%. Drakengard, it's a hack-n-slash that with a fly-dragon-concept added in the mix, and it's pretty awesome, gorey and fun. It's slow at first, but they could've made way more than two games.

Crystal Chronicles, god this angers me. So many people either hate it,. think it's gay, or childish. Or maybe all 3.

I skipped Ring of Fates, but playing Echoes/GCN I've learned, these games are not easy.

Playing Solo can be like playing find the hay in the needlestack, and even with my gf it can be tedious, and we can even die. Being Freezelocked or knocked into lava a lot can suck. But they are challenging, and CC has evolved into a good DungeonDewller or whatever type game I really like.

I just wish they'd pick up all these titles they haven't milked.

DQ, FF, and KH are Cows that need some rest.

We need:

ChronoTrigger/Cross (new stuff)
Drakengard
Crystal Chronicles
A fighting game with SE characters, not just FF, and on a good system >_>

Those four alone could expand tremendously. I almost wanted to say Star Ocean, but I wasn't really impressed with the 360 one. Honestly it and the PS2 one feel weak compared to the PS1 amazingness.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I love Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross was awesome as well in its own way. I enjoyed playing that.

I doubt we'll get another Chrono sequel though. The original team is pretty much non-existant.
If they ever make a new one with a new team, I doubt it's going to feel the same.

finalark

SNORLAX
Dissidia was fail,
Hold on there, Dissidia was great. It's like the result of cramming all of the FF fan service that you can all onto one disk. It was a ton of fun to play, always threw new stuff at you and was a blast in mutli-player. Sure, it's crap on a competitive level but I can't stand people who think that if a fighter isn't competitive it sucks. Seriously, what ever happened to fun?

Crystal Chronicles, god this angers me. So many people either hate it,. think it's gay, or childish. Or maybe all 3.
The only CC I played was the Game Cube original. Flawed? Yes. Fun? That too.

DungeonDewller
You mean Dungeon Crawler?

We need:

ChronoTrigger/Cross (new stuff)
Drakengard
Crystal Chronicles
A fighting game with SE characters, not just FF, and on a good system >_>
I'd like to see some more CT stuff, haven't played Draken Guard and with some polishing CC could be awesome. And I'd love to see a well put together Square fighter.

Those four alone could expand tremendously. I almost wanted to say Star Ocean, but I wasn't really impressed with the 360 one. Honestly it and the PS2 one feel weak compared to the PS1 amazingness.
I personally dislike Star Ocean for severally reasons but it's partially because it over shadows Phantasy Star, a much better Sci-Fi JRPG series (well, the older ones the more recent PS' are a mixed bag).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hold on there, Dissidia was great. It's like the result of cramming all of the FF fan service that you can all onto one disk. It was a ton of fun to play, always threw new stuff at you and was a blast in mutli-player. Sure, it's crap on a competitive level but I can't stand people who think that if a fighter isn't competitive it sucks. Seriously, what ever happened to fun?

I don't play for competition, the reason it isn't fun is mainly the system it's on. I won't buy a handheld for one game. I borrowed it, and it was great, no lie, but the PSP makes it very..less of a game, or at least to me. (And I owned a psp so I can say this) If it had been on PS3 I just felt it would be better, but meh.

XD I don't play for competition at all.. I like being good, that's it.

The only CC I played was the Game Cube original. Flawed? Yes. Fun? That too.

You mean Dungeon Crawler?

I'd like to see some more CT stuff, haven't played Draken Guard and with some polishing CC could be awesome. And I'd love to see a well put together Square fighter.

I personally dislike Star Ocean for severally reasons but it's partially because it over shadows Phantasy Star, a much better Sci-Fi JRPG series (well, the older ones the more recent PS' are a mixed bag).
I don't play for competition, the reason it isn't fun is mainly the system it's on. I won't buy a handheld for one game. I borrowed it, and it was great, no lie, but the PSP makes it very..less of a game, or at least to me. (And I owned a psp so I can say this) If it had been on PS3 I just felt it would be better, but meh.

XD I don't play for competition at all.. I like being good, that's it.

As for Star Ocean, it's not my favorite either. I only really liked the PS1 ones. God PS1 had a lot of good rpgs.

finalark

SNORLAX
Am I the only person on this planet who actually likes the PSP!?

As for Star Ocean, it's not my favorite either. I only really liked the PS1 ones. God PS1 had a lot of good rpgs.
The only two Star Oceans I played were Second Story on PlayStation and Til the End of Time on PlayStation 2. I wasn't particularly impressed by either of them. One of the things that bugged me was how the games claimed to be sci-fi RPGs and yet they kept dumping you onto very non-sci-fi planets.

finalark

SNORLAX
We are getting another Parasite Eve game. They're just calling it The 3rd Birthday.
Which is one of the oddest titles I've ever heard for a game. But this is Japan, for half of their games and animes they just flip open the English dictionary, point randomly to a few words then use that as their title.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Am I the only person on this planet who actually likes the PSP!?

The only two Star Oceans I played were Second Story on PlayStation and Til the End of Time on PlayStation 2. I wasn't particularly impressed by either of them. One of the things that bugged me was how the games claimed to be sci-fi RPGs and yet they kept dumping you onto very non-sci-fi planets.
Heres the thing. I don't like the hardware. The loading time of the system, the original, was atrocious. The UMDs have memory than DS, but can't hold as much as DS due to lack of compression, etc. And because they are UMDs, the loading time can be bad, and the content can be very repetitive. I sold all my PSP junk to get my Girlfriend something good for Christmas, lol.

I liked a lot of their games (Dissidia, FFTactics, Brotherhood of the Blade, Dark Tower, etc), but the handheld itself was bad to me.

PS1 Star Oceans are nothing like the ones you played. I actually think you'd like them.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like the PSP. I didn't like it at first, but I think it's underrated and has some great games now. I like it as much as my DS.
Which is one of the oddest titles I've ever heard for a game. But this is Japan, for half of their games and animes they just flip open the English dictionary, point randomly to a few words then use that as their title.
Yeah. That's pretty much what it seems like. :laugh:
PS1 Star Oceans are nothing like the ones you played. I actually think you'd like them.
There's only 1 PS1 Star Ocean (Second Evolution).
But yeah, I found it fun. It feels more RPG-like than the other two SO games.

I'd say the style reminded me of an SNES RPG. I haven't beaten i yet though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I have only played VI and XII, I loved both games.

The only thing I didn't like about XII was that I felt through the whole game I was ether Over or Under leveled, I never felt like I was on par to all the creatures. But 12 gave my most memorable battle against (The dude with all the swords and the dog, can't remember his name) in the mines (2nd time). I was 20 levels under him, but the strategy and such to defeat him was very fun and showed me why people enjoy low level runs

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I put 280 hours into FFXII to get everything and lost my file. I love FFXII though. I had the best stuff man, and I made Yaizmat look like a joke.

finalark

SNORLAX
No, I played Second Story (was that the name?) on the PS1 and I didn't like it.

Here, to clear things up this is the one I played:

I think the only things I didn't like about XII were how a lot of characters felt useless in terms of story and the license board.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anyone cares FFXIV for PC comes out on September 30th.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
No, I played Second Story (was that the name?) on the PS1 and I didn't like it.

Here, to clear things up this is the one I played:

I think the only things I didn't like about XII were how a lot of characters felt useless in terms of story and the license board.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anyone cares FFXIV for PC comes out on September 30th.
LOL. I thought there were 2 SO games for PS1. And..there isn't. I never played Second Story. What games did I play. Wow .... I'm crazy?

Also, doesn't the BETA come out 30th? I thought the real deal was next year. Also, when is PS3 release?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
On that note, who was the most exciting protagonist/main character in everyone's opinion?
Warrior of Light from FFI.

He doesn't have a *****y emo personality nor does he have a hyperactive annoying personality or a uber-helpful always focused on saving the world mentality. He is truly what every FF character should be.

One of the last lines in the game before the end fight is him saying "let's mosey!".
That's not his personality so much as poor translation.

I love Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross was awesome as well in its own way. I enjoyed playing that.

I doubt we'll get another Chrono sequel though. The original team is pretty much non-existant.
If they ever make a new one with a new team, I doubt it's going to feel the same.
I don't think they need to make another one. I haven't even played Chrono Cross tbh but the first one is amazing on its own.

I 502 error for one day and we're talking about this now? :confused:

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, doesn't the BETA come out 30th? I thought the real deal was next year. Also, when is PS3 release?
I'm not sure, the articles are not very clear but I'm pretty sure the PS3 version is set for an early 2011 release.

Also, apparently it's going to be $13 a month and $3 for each extra character.

Yeah, screw you too, Square.

Warrior of Light from FFI.
I lol'd.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm not sure, the articles are not very clear but I'm pretty sure the PS3 version is set for an early 2011 release.

Also, apparently it's going to be $13 a month and $3 for each extra character.

Yeah, screw you too, Square.

I lol'd.

Wow, I'm probably not playing it then. Me and my girlfriend would cost 32 dollars a month. I can find better things to do than that. Oh well, it's sad because the game looked promising.

You know, they really need to get off their high horse with all their fees and crap. FFXI had mini expansions for 10 dollars each, crappy weird items that were 10+ each, they find every chance they can find to rip you off. I used to adore SE, now I'm just like meh.

Requiem-

Smash Rookie
PC Collector's Edition of XIV looks pretty cool; too bad my laptop crashes every five seconds, can't load javascript, and has a touchpad that doesn't even work. Looks like I'll be waiting until early 2011.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow, I'm probably not playing it then. Me and my girlfriend would cost 32 dollars a month. I can find better things to do than that. Oh well, it's sad because the game looked promising.
Wait, It'd only cost $26 a month for an account for both of you. Unless you're both planning on having two characters on both of your accounts.

And isn't $13 a month the same cost as FFXI?

You know, they really need to get off their high horse with all their fees and crap. FFXI had mini expansions for 10 dollars each, crappy weird items that were 10+ each, they find every chance they can find to rip you off. I used to adore SE, now I'm just like meh.
Welcome to the world of MMORPGs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wait, It'd only cost $26 a month for an account for both of you. Unless you're both planning on having two characters on both of your accounts.

And isn't $13 a month the same cost as FFXI?

Welcome to the world of MMORPGs.
Know, XI had a slightly higher initial fee, and it's 3/character right? That'd make 32. Also, in FFXI, if you were -really- good you needed mule characters.

And there are some pretty good cheap/free mmos out there.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Ah where to start...Hmmmm...

Well, the first Final Fantasy I played was VII, but I was too young to actually PLAY it, so the first one I legitly played was VIII, and my god the summons in those games.

From there the next one I played was waaaaaaaay later, and it was Crystal Chronicals, one of my favorite games of all time, it was actually pretty **** good for a spinoff.

After that, my brother got III on the DS, which, after he gave up on, I took and played, and is ALSO one of my favorite games.

Several years later, I get I and II on the GBA, I play that, and enjoyed them both immensely.

Cue to XIII release, get it a couple of weeks after it comes out, and really enjoy that. It's not the BEST final fantasy, but it's still good, I don't see why people hate on it so much.

finalark

SNORLAX
Know, XI had a slightly higher initial fee, and it's 3/character right? That'd make 32. Also, in FFXI, if you were -really- good you needed mule characters.
Yep, three bucks to a character baring your first one. I'm kind of confused on your math, though. Don't forget that FFXIV is a completely different game from XI, so I don't know about needing multiple characters.

Three bucks for each alt is still a load of bull, though.

And there are some pretty good cheap/free mmos out there.
Hate to say it, but most of the free MMORPGs I've played were junk.

@YarsRevengerson: I haven't played FFXIII but I think the reason why people didn't like it was because of it's story, the battle system and... well, okay just read this comic (OMG THEY SAY BAD WORDS WATCH OUT): http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=295

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
@YarsRevengerson: I haven't played FFXIII but I think the reason why people didn't like it was because of it's story, the battle system and... well, okay just read this comic (OMG THEY SAY BAD WORDS WATCH OUT): http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=295
Music depends on ur tastes. I liked the 13 soundtrack, to each his own. I only agree with linearity. I absolutely loved the chars, the storyline and battle system. What I despised was the linearity, its worse than this: -------

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yep, three bucks to a character baring your first one. I'm kind of confused on your math, though. Don't forget that FFXIV is a completely different game from XI, so I don't know about needing multiple characters.

Three bucks for each alt is still a load of bull, though.

Hate to say it, but most of the free MMORPGs I've played were junk.

Yeah I've had a lot of blond moments today. I may still end up playing it, but considering the beta is this summer I'm thinking 2011, but who knows. Starting an mmo when it launches is fun, but I'll probably start in 2011.

As for FFXIII, the fact Lightning=Cloud is a first.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah I've had a lot of blond moments today. I may still end up playing it, but considering the beta is this summer I'm thinking 2011, but who knows. Starting an mmo when it launches is fun, but I'll probably start in 2011.
I started Lord of the Rings Online when it first launched, it was awesome. The only reason why I stopped playing is because of money issues and the fact that none of my friends played it.

I think I'd be nice if Square does what Turbine did with Lord of the Rings and has a lifetime membership offer.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I started Lord of the Rings Online when it first launched, it was awesome. The only reason why I stopped playing is because of money issues and the fact that none of my friends played it.

I think I'd be nice if Square does what Turbine did with Lord of the Rings and has a lifetime membership offer.
But this is Square we're talking about. When XI launched, and during EVERY POST EXPANSION, there is maintenance like every other day. Maybe XIV won't be as bad.

I honestly never played LOTRO because I'm afraid J.R.R. will haunt me.

finalark

SNORLAX
But this is Square we're talking about. When XI launched, and during EVERY POST EXPANSION, there is maintenance like every other day. Maybe XIV won't be as bad.
As far as I know, they've been developing this game since 2005. Hopefully they'll have most of the bugs ironed out given the development time.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
As far as I know, they've been developing this game since 2005. Hopefully they'll have most of the bugs ironed out given the development time.
True, but I think they worked on FFXI for a while too, though I'm not sure. Why does it come out on PC before PS3? I'd think they come out at the same time =/

finalark

SNORLAX
True, but I think they worked on FFXI for a while too, though I'm not sure. Why does it come out on PC before PS3? I'd think they come out at the same time =/
Yeah, I think you were right and it was the beta that started on the 30th. I remember Square mentioning releasing the PC and PS3 versions at the same time.

Is anyone planning on picking up the Collectors Edition?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Man I really dislike Vaan, especially his gay *** costume.

I think he was one of the weaker main characters, should have been Basch.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Since I got a job, probably get collector of ps3/pc for me and my girlfriend. But I'm not playing the Beta.

finalark

SNORLAX
I agree here, he wasn't even much of a character. Didn't say much, weak characterization, I fully believe that Basch should have been the protagonist. He was twice as interesting as Vaan and pretty much everyone else in that game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Man I really dislike Vaan, especially his gay *** costume.

This was just a rumor, but I remember hearing that before the director switch, Basch was the original hero at the beginning. There was something about the Wada saying that Basch wouldn't appeal to people as the main hero and decided for it to be Vaan (who was originally suppose to train under Basch after they set their differences aside). I heard this on a forum, but I can't say it's absolutely true or not.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I always found Ashe to be the main character, but maybe I was just way off into gameplay to notice Basch.

Top Bottom