• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Controvery in Gaming

PKAce

Smash Rookie
What is your favorite controversial topic in all of gaming?
Please, no #GamerGate
I personally loved to watch Phil Fish get pissed off at everyone, and then quit the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
What is your favorite controversial topic in all of gaming?
Please, no #GamerGate
I personally loved to watch Phil Fish get pissed off at everyone, and then quit the gaming industry.
How about PETA claiming Nintendo is promoting animal abuse? They made those Pokemon games where Pokemon are basically slaves to their trainers, and they made that Mario game where you play as a skinned raccoon trying to get its' fur back. And when outroar came out against the Mario game they made, they claimed it was just a joke.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't know about favorite lol. But one is definitely how Inafune handled Mighty No.9 and Red Ash.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
wait, what happened there?
Mighty No. 9 kickstarter happens, is pretty successful.
  • Does a 2nd kickstarter to ask for money on voice acting. Fans get to vote English or JP, English won
  • Inafune reveals animated series in the works.
  • Power ups from regular weak enemies is seemingly removed from the game.
  • Deep Silver partners up to help fund JP voice acting
  • Game gets delayed from early 2015 to September
  • People still aren't impressed at the graphics and level design of the game
  • Red Ash gets 2 kickstarters this year (game and anime) before MN9 is out
  • Kickstarter vid for Red Ash is pretty bad and not persuasive
  • Kickstarter is being handled poorly. Does a stretch goal of console ports. Console not announced, will do a survey
  • People don't donate because why donate on only having a possibility of your console being chosen
  • Xbox One and PS4 port announced with 14 days left of the Kickstarter
  • News of them finding a publisher (Fuze) is revealed. Fuze covers the main stretch goals (so the game will come out). Fan pledges go towards new ones that are rather boring.
  • People start canceling pledges to the point where the kickstarter for it had a negative day
  • Game kickstarter still doing poorly. The anime one is handled by different people, communicated well and gets funded, however.
  • Rumors of Might No.9 delay starts spreading. Deep Silver refuses to comment while Comcept hasn't responded.
  • Comcept says MN9 won't be delayed iirc
  • Red Ash campaign ends at 500k/800k
  • Comcept confirms that MN9 won't be out in September. Delayed to early 2016 due to a multiplayer bug
  • Anime gets another type of kickstarter. It's a type of site that's similar but for JP.
Not sure if intentionally, but Capcom has Mega Man Legacy Collection out digitally the end of this month while early next year for physical lol. Sneaky, but I like it.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Probably not controversial depending on who you ask, but the first thing that came to mind was games with annual releases (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc). They're good games and all, but... do we really need a new one every year?

Oh, and the way some companies handle DLC. Locked content on the disc, stuff like that.

_gold_

Smash Master
Marty O' Donnell being fired from Bungie, alongside Joseph Staten quitting.
Mystery still shrouds those events, but it sure got everyone fired up.

Last edited:

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
Oh, also when the Xbone was announced and everybody lost their **** over the DRM stuff, but now complain about stuff that would have been there if it weren't for them giving Microsoft **** and making them change it.

_gold_

Smash Master
Oh, also when the Xbone was announced and everybody lost their **** over the DRM stuff, but now complain about stuff that would have been there if it weren't for them giving Microsoft **** and making them change it.
That, and also when they said the console would "always be on". That got all the paranoid people itching, especially with the Kinect. I still think both of those quotes were taken out of context, or perhaps reworded by someone. But I'm happy with the finished product.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
That, and also when they said the console would "always be on". That got all the paranoid people itching, especially with the Kinect. I still think both of those quotes were taken out of context, or perhaps reworded by someone. But I'm happy with the finished product.
DRM has caused much controversy before... The examples i can give is the launch of SimCity 2013 and Diablo 3. It seems like DRM just make the honest consumer more annoyed then people who actually pirate the game.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
My personal favourite from Pokémon was the Lavender Town Syndrome. I don't know if that was properly classified as a controversy or not, but still.

I also like how the Christian fundamentalist groups thought Pokémon was evil, because of that song played backwards. Yes, a Japanese anime, that didn't have anything to do with the English dub or English languages, definitely meant to do that. And 4Kids definitely planned for the song to sound like that backwards. /stupidity

Top Bottom