• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gen 6 Pokemon will be out BEFORE Smash 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't want just any old schmuck. Mewtwo at least had a history, man. Unless there's an obvious favourite for the sixth gen, like Lucario was in the fourth gen, then I think they should forget about shoehorning in a sixth gen rep and just keep Lucario. Or bring back Mewtwo.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Mewtwo was planned for one. For two, I believe they'd know better than to cut another popular character with what happened after mewtwo.

:phone:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Mewtwo was planned for one.
Hardly. Both were planned at one point or another,
Keep in mind we don't have any idea exactly how 'planned' he was. All that's left of Mewtwo is a directory file. It could well have been that he was intented to return very early on, until it was decided Lucario should be included.

As far as they go as characters I know they're different, but there are similarities too in size, weight, proportions, that sort of thing. They even share a special move. It's not too much of a stretch to assume that Lucario took Mewtwo spot, whatever the reason might be.

D

Deleted member

Size? Mewtwo is a large character. Lucario is a medium sized character.
Weight? Mewtwo was a lightweight because lolhefloatsallthetime and Lucario is middleweight.
Proportions? Ok, so they have the same body parts. Big whoop. I guess Olimar replaced Dr. Mario, seeing as they both are short round-bellied men with big round noses.
And OMG A SPECIAL MOVE! HOLD THE FRICKING PRESSES! I mean, it's not like Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere have complete distinct differences and all. Wait a minute....
And it's also not like another character hasn't shot balls of charged energy either, wait a minute...

And also, it's not like Mewtwo doesn't have an unused victory theme file or anything....wait a minute.....

Speculator

Smash Ace
Size? Mewtwo is a large character. Lucario is a medium sized character.
Weight? Mewtwo was a lightweight because lolhefloatsallthetime and Lucario is middleweight.
Proportions? Ok, so they have the same body parts. Big whoop. I guess Olimar replaced Dr. Mario, seeing as they both are short round-bellied men with big round noses.
And OMG A SPECIAL MOVE! HOLD THE FRICKING PRESSES! I mean, it's not like Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere have complete distinct differences and all. Wait a minute....
And it's also not like another character hasn't shot balls of charged energy either, wait a minute...

And also, it's not like Mewtwo doesn't have an unused victory theme file or anything....wait a minute.....
Cool it. It's not outlandish to assume that Lucario replaced Mewtwo and you know it. I'd even say it's obvious. Having scraps of data left hanging around, even an unused victory theme (which isn't, all that's there is the name of the file from when all characters were going to have individual victory fanfares) still doesn't mean he was pulled out at the last minute. There's no need to flip out at me, I'm just discussing the possibility.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Cool it. It's not outlandish to assume that Lucario replaced Mewtwo and you know it. I'd even say it's obvious. Having scraps of data left hanging around, even an unused victory theme (which isn't, all that's there is the name of the file from when all characters were going to have individual victory fanfares) still doesn't mean he was pulled out at the last minute. There's no need to flip out at me, I'm just discussing the possibility.
It's also crazy to assume they use characters to replace others based on "patterns" we don't know exist. I'm not sure what the issue is with both of them being in the game, and considering the continued or growing popularity of both Mewtwo *and* Roy, it's not ridiculous that one or both of them will return.

Characters like Pichu it's easy to see why they're gone, considering Pichu was actually implemented as a joke, but Mewtwo, not so much. I'd be very careful how you word Mewtwo/Lucario comments on here, else all hell open up.

In reality, having both of them is the best outcome, and with nothing to go on (there are no patterns, believe it.), it makes sense to think that Mewtwo/Roy can come back just as easily as they left.

Speculator

Smash Ace
It's also crazy to assume they use characters to replace others based on "patterns" we don't know exist. I'm not sure what the issue is with both of them being in the game, and considering the continued or growing popularity of both Mewtwo *and* Roy, it's not ridiculous that one or both of them will return.
I'm not calling out a pattern. I don't believe in patterns either. But I do believe Lucario can be considered Mewtwo's replacement, even if there are a lot of differences between the way they play. That's not an unreasonable suggestion, right? I thought it was a pretty commonly held belief.

peeup

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call Lucario a replacement for Mewtwo. Clearly they were both planned for the game. Due to time constraints or what have you, they decided that they could only give Pokemon so many representatives. Cutting Pikachu would be ludicrous, for obvious reasons. Jiggs is just as much a veteran to the game as Pikachu-- that is to say he's pretty iconic to Smash at this point. Pokemon Trainer was an entirely new type of character, and a similar concept was planned for melee (I think this is true, apologies if that's incorrect) so it wouldn't quite make sense to cut him. So the choice of cuts would be between Mewtwo and Lucario. Tough choice, considering they fill very similar niches in the Pokemon universe (They're both legendary/pseudo legendary, both capable of thought/speech, both stars of a movie). Now Mewtwo has the benefit of being a Smash veteran, but Lucario has the benefit of being more relevant. Also, for what it's worth, Lucario has the benefit of being a new face, and newcomers are always fun. It would make sense to cut Mewtwo instead of Lucario.

tl;dr Lucario is not a replacement for Mewtwo. More of an 'update.'

All that said, I'd love to see Lucario get the boot so Mewtwo can come back.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I have a feeling that they will just add Mewtwo back in and call it a day.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let mewtwo come back.
Just asking, if mewtwo and lucario become semi-clones, will the aura mechanic make their play style appreciably different?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let mewtwo come back.
Just asking, if mewtwo and lucario become semi-clones, will the aura mechanic make their play style appreciably different?

Yes. Lucario gets stronger the more he is hurt. It's a unique ability which makes him more offensive when damaged. If Mewtwo remains a light weight (hope he doesn't) then he will become more and more defensive when he is at a higher percentage. More so than other characters.

At least in theory anyways.

Cool Daddy Booty Funk

Smash Cadet
Personally, I would rather have Mewtwo light but fast. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought he was one of the fastest pokemon (with Alakazam).

I personally am all about Mewtwo as opposed to Lucario, but the last Pokemon game I played was Ruby/Sapphire so I might just be biased. Plus, I found Lucario absolutely no fun to play, but that's just me and everyone will have different opinions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, Lucario was a good rep for one game, but I would rather have a different pokemon in SSB. Heck, even though Jigglypuff was amazing in melee, at this point she is outdated enough she could be replaced.

And if Lucario is back in SSB4 I'm ok with that, ust Mewtwo should have precedence.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo should at least have Lucario's weight, if not heavier (about Wario I'd say). I to prefer Mewtwo over Lucario, if only cause Lucario has that Aura gimmick I dislike so badly. Plus, Mewtwo is Mewtwo. So he's bound to be awesome. Mewtwo just needs a lot of buffs. But I don't neccecarly wanna see Lucario out either. I'd take Lucario over a 5th or 6th gen rep so far. Unless a 6th gen really stands out as something awesome.

Untill then, all I want is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOF5Jj9bq8

DxBOY15

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see Haxorus as a playable character. They really need to take our Jigglypuff. They can use that spot for a better pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd like to see Haxorus as a playable character. They really need to take our Jigglypuff. They can use that spot for a better pokemon.
They won't take out Jigglypuff. She's been in three games now.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
While I agree with you, this is likely not going to happen. I can think of many Pokemon that I would rather play. If they took her out, though, there would be huge flaming and QQing and crying about it. So might as well keep her in.

peeup

Smash Lord
They should really just come out with a Pokemon fighting game featuring every Pokemanz evur so everyone can be happy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They did... Pokemon Battle Revolution. And it failed. Though we might see something like that in Pokemon X and Y.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon battle revolution wasn't a fighting game

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They did... Pokemon Battle Revolution. And it failed. Though we might see something like that in Pokemon X and Y.
Wasn't Revolution a battle sim? (A terrible one at that, even though it SHOULD have been like Stadium 2, but noooo)

I think they mean actual fighting game. Like Pokemon: Type Wild, which is awesome.

peeup

Smash Lord
Yeah I mean like an actual fighting game, not a 3d simulation of the normal pokemon fighting engine. But now this type: wild has piqued my interest...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah I mean like an actual fighting game, not a 3d simulation of the normal pokemon fighting engine. But now this type: wild has piqued my interest...
It's been a while, but it's very well done. It's all in Japanese, but it's easy to get past that and straight into the fighting. Although a couple of their character choices were kind of odd.

Why did they think using both Blaziken and Combusken was a good idea? I mean, maybe it's just because I hate Combusken, but seriously.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know, having both was rather silly. But, Type Wild's pretty fun. Breloom's awesome. I wish Snorlax was better, though.

Hopefully one day they add in Marowak to Type:Wild. That'd be cool. :cool:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Have they actually made any changes in a while? I should probably go check that...

Chepe

Smash Lord
I mentioned a few pages back that the February issue of CoroCoro is almost always a "movie coverage" issue, which means that the upcoming issue will likely focus on the Genesect movie. I also mentioned that it may very well reveal a Gen VI Pokemon of the Lucario sort that will star opposite Genesect. Looks like others are guessing the same:

http://pokebeach.com/2013/02/pokemon-smash-promises-new-xy-and-genesect-movie-info-next-week

He's right in saying that Pokemon Smash always reports things that savvy members of the Pokemon Community already know. So if they're promising XY and Genesect movie info next week, then that means that CoroCoro will have it.

CoroCoro releases on the 15th in Japan, but it's due for a leak any day now. I have a feeling that this thread is about to change in a big way. Be prepared...

TheCreator

Smash Lord
So guys. Extremespeed Genesect and the awakening of mewtwo.

I think we have got a confirmation here.
As well as an eeveelution :D

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That normal type Eevelution looks really cool.

Note. It's still unconfirmed, but I think it's real.

And yeah, Mewtwo will probably return, now what about Lucario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom