• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gen 6 Pokemon will be out BEFORE Smash 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think one thing people need to realize, is that if Mewtwo was planned from the start, and they are taking their time this time around, he will be back in this game. The only Pokemon character that there should be any debate about, is a Gen 6 rep, or Zoroark.

I really don't think it will be Zoroark.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I think one thing people need to realize, is that if Mewtwo was planned from the start, and they are taking their time this time around, he will be back in this game. The only Pokemon character that there should be any debate about, is a Gen 6 rep, or Zoroark.

I really don't think it will be Zoroark.
This entirely.
I'm still waiting for info on gen 6. It did come out early enough to affect the game. But we don't know if any pokemon will be a smash possibility. I don't want to say Zoroark has no chance anymore, but I think his chances have dropped a bit.

D

Deleted member

Watch as one of the hidden Pokemon of the Genesect movie is the Pokemon Genesect was modified from that you can now obtain in Gen 6. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually I would like to see the pokemon that Genesect was based on. I imagine it would be a fossil pokemon though

D

Deleted member

Bug/Rock.
Probably faster, given that mechanical enhancements would likely slow a creature down.
Probably less Defense/Sp. Def, given that it wouldn't have metal plating.
Probably more Attack and less Sp. Attack, given that it was a fierce hunter. It would likely be more direct assault oriented than projectile oriented, since it wouldn't have the cannon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd say its unlikely as a character, but as a pokeball item, possibly.
Why would you say unlikely?

I think it's perfectly likely for a generation 6 pokemon to be in the game

It's not like Nintendo didn't know about generation 6 before they revealed it

Zozoark wasn't that popular, yet Nintendo still be him in everything as the promotional pokemon of this generation.

Nintendo basically picks what pokemon they have popular and inserts it into media, games like Smash.

I don't think we need fan reaction to pokemon for Nintendo to put a gen 6 pokemon. They have the pokemon they pick as the popular one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bug/Rock.
Probably faster, given that mechanical enhancements would likely slow a creature down.
Probably less Defense/Sp. Def, given that it wouldn't have metal plating.
Probably more Attack and less Sp. Attack, given that it was a fierce hunter. It would likely be more direct assault oriented than projectile oriented, since it wouldn't have the cannon.
So, Genesect = Gardevoir. And that other 'mon = Gallade basically.

I think they might go for a new mascot again, since Zoroark really wasn't all that effective in this sence. Especially not compared to Lucario.

Did Gen 3 even have a mascot? Can't really remember any promotionals that really stuck out. It was just like now, in Gen 6, only the starters, Groudon and Kyogre where announced iirc.

Maybe, just maybe... They'll go this route again? Pikachu clearly made his presence in the trailer
blasting the whole world with lightning, just because he doesn't give a **** :cool:
. :pikachumelee:

And with so many old faces around, I think da Puffinator will show it's face also somewhere. :jigglypuffmelee: So Smash's roster might stay the same as in Brawl, with only Mewtwo added. :mewtwomelee:

:phone:

D

Deleted member

In a way, Plusle and Minun served as Gen 3's mascots. They were promoted the most heavily out of the non-Starters and non-Version Mascots (though not as heavy as Lucario was for 4th).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh yeah. Didn't know that however, but it makes sence. Did train both a Plusle and a Minun though to level 100. And they indeed where considered for Brawl...

Which means... If a Gen 6 rep would be extremely popular, and Zoroak remains popular, or becomes even more popular (through X / Y), they might make a cut, or decide not to re-add Mewtwo. :urg:

vinson12

Smash Cadet
Why would you say unlikely?

I think it's perfectly likely for a generation 6 pokemon to be in the game

It's not like Nintendo didn't know about generation 6 before they revealed it

Zozoark wasn't that popular, yet Nintendo still be him in everything as the promotional pokemon of this generation.

Nintendo basically picks what pokemon they have popular and inserts it into media, games like Smash.

I don't think we need fan reaction to pokemon for Nintendo to put a gen 6 pokemon. They have the pokemon they pick as the popular one.
Unless it's a gen 6 Pokemon Trainer we're talking about, I really can't imagine a stand allone Pokemon as a character such as Lucario.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And here I always assumed that Genesect is a modified Kabutops, due to their similar appearance and time period, according to the PokeDex.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Unless it's a gen 6 Pokemon Trainer we're talking about, I really can't imagine a stand allone Pokemon as a character such as Lucario.
Then you underestimate GF and Nintendo's capabilities.

Zoroark was essentially a successor to Lucario anyway - maybe not in terms of the characters themselves but they played the same role in advertising their respective gens. It is incredibly possible that a similar thing will be done for Gen VI.

I'd also like to reiterate that we know next to nothing about the new gen so far. I remain convinced that a pokemon from it will be playable rather than one from Gen V but that's mostly based on the principle that a new pokemon has been playable in every Smash thus far - not on any knowledge we have about the upcoming games, which is too sparse to make the judgment that we can't have a playable Gen VI.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
Then you underestimate GF and Nintendo's capabilities.

Zoroark was essentially a successor to Lucario anyway - maybe not in terms of the characters themselves but they played the same role in advertising their respective gens. It is incredibly possible that a similar thing will be done for Gen VI.

I'd also like to reiterate that we know next to nothing about the new gen so far. I remain convinced that a pokemon from it will be playable rather than one from Gen V but that's mostly based on the principle that a new pokemon has been playable in every Smash thus far - not on any knowledge we have about the upcoming games, which is too sparse to make the judgment that we can't have a playable Gen VI.
You do realize that I just said I think a gen 6 trainer is a possibility right..... I just can't see a gen 6 stand allone getting in over Zoroark or a trainer from a different gen.

D

Deleted member

And here I always assumed that Genesect is a modified Kabutops, due to their similar appearance and time period, according to the PokeDex.
Kaputops is not Bug type, though.
Whatever Genesect was modified from, it was a Bug type at the very least.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
You do realize that I just said I think a gen 6 trainer is a possibility right..... I just can't see a gen 6 stand allone getting in over Zoroark or a trainer from a different gen.
That's because there are a grand total of 5 pokemon that have been revealed for XY. In a few months' time (or even sooner) there will probably be a new pokemon to take the spotlight.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The spotlight Pokemon for gen 3 was deoxys.

Actually it was Keckleon and Blaziken. They were used in the advertisements.

Deoxsys was just popular after it was announced.

D

Deleted member

I believe you two are forgetting the token "Pikas" of Gen 3.

D

Deleted member

My biggest question is, did Pichu get heavily advertised before or after Melee?
I know that Pichu had been advertised nearly as much as Pika itself on many occasions, even through the recent years.
I just question if it was the same prior to Melee, or was it mainly someone like Togepi?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it was because of Melee. I don't remember a whole lot of Pichu before then.

D

Deleted member

I know Pichu started getting promoted more due to the Pichu Bros., but I think it didn't really hit off until after Melee.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea I would have to say more after Melee. Of course, I bought Pokemon Channel and had to watch the Pichu Bros cartoons lol.

On a side note, yay for 300 posts!

Chepe

Smash Lord
I know Pichu started getting promoted more due to the Pichu Bros., but I think it didn't really hit off until after Melee.
Actually, Sakurai made a direct reference to the first Pichu Bros. short "Pikachu and Pichu" in Melee's 48th Event Match, aptly called "Pikachu and Pichu." The Pichu Bros. are likely the individuals that the Pichu in Melee personifies (in the shorts they hurt themselves using electricity like the Pokedex says and this was included in Melee), much like the Pikachu in Smash Bros. personifies Ash's Pikachu, aka Pokemon's Pikachu.

This idea of personification that I have regarding Pokemon characters in Smash Bros. is actually something that I would like to hear others' opinions on. See, I believe that the individual Pokemon that get into Smash Bros. have to have a significant anime counterpart that contributes to their, let's say, "persona" in Smash. I already gave the example of Pikachu essentially being Ash's Pikachu, and Pichu representing the Pichu Bros., so I'll get to the others.

Jigglypuff was added into Smash 64 because it was tremendously popular in Japan at the time, which was also why it got a recurring role in the anime for a long while. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that Jiggs personifies the anime Jigglypuff, as their initial inclusion in each media was due to massive popularity.

Mewtwo and Lucario are the strongest examples of this idea due to having a voice in Smash. Mewtwo obviously personifies the Mewtwo in the movie since it talks (at least, in the JPN version of Melee) and its quotes fall in line with its existential dilemma that was explored in the movie. Lucario similarly personifies the movie Lucario since he is the only Lucario in the anime that "speaks," and Brawl's 25th Event Match quotes the movie directly with the title "The Aura Is With Me."

The only Pokemon that don't necessarily personify an anime counterpart are Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard (even though Ash owns two of these). The reason being that they are owned by the Pokemon Trainer, and thus neither really stands out as a character. They can be said to be truly random members of their species owned by a specific trainer.

The reason I bring up this idea of personification because I think that a Gen 6 candidate for the roster might also draw inspiration from a specific individual in the anime. In fact, I believe such a Pokemon might follow in the steps of Mewtwo and Lucario and have a prominent role in a movie where it speaks to the human characters. Looking back at Zoroark, it seemed sort of feral and wild in its movie, but more importantly it didn't speak. This gave it less of a personality, unlike her child Zorua, who could speak to the human characters and played a bigger role in the movie. Among the reasons I didn't really see Zoroark appearing in Smash Bros. was her lack of personality and arguably not having the biggest role in her own movie.

I might have gone overboard with this, but I'd really like to hear what people think about my idea of individual Pokemon characters in Smash Bros. personifying a specific member of the species that appears in the anime, and how it might influence the potential Gen 6 Pokemon that gets into Smash 4.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haven't watched a Pokemon movie after the one with Entei. Did I miss a lot?

Don't really think the anime had much to do with anything Smash related, outside of maybe Jigglypuff in 64. Popular Pokemon will always make more appearances, hence also in the anime / movies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm going to wait to see the future Gen 6 Pokémon before I make a prediction/wish list. As it stands, none of the starters or their evolutions look appealing or worthy "fits" for Smash compared to what is likely to come. I got a feeling it could be a "semi-legendary" Pokémon that finds such appeal, much like Lucario did.
My biggest question is, did Pichu get heavily advertised before or after Melee?
I know that Pichu had been advertised nearly as much as Pika itself on many occasions, even through the recent years.
I just question if it was the same prior to Melee, or was it mainly someone like Togepi?
Togepi had some advertisements, as did Lugia and Ho-oh (which don't seem to fit the Smash playable character "mold"), but Pichu was the only real superstar of Gen 2. On top of that, it seemed to have appeal outside of gaming, much like its' predecessor and evolution, Pikachu. Remember back in the 90's/early 00's, Pikachu was known by name by everyone from your baby sister to your great great grandmother (this was 100% true in my family, at least).

So, naturally, a look-a-like baby version was really popular, and really well known. That, plus the ease of cloning (a perfect troll character) made Pichu a worthy addition.

peeup

Smash Lord
I'm going to wait to see the future Gen 6 Pokémon before I make a prediction/wish list. As it stands, none of the starters or their evolutions look appealing or worthy "fits" for Smash compared to what is likely to come. I got a feeling it could be a "semi-legendary" Pokémon that finds such appeal, much like Lucario did.
I think the starters offer a pretty good basis for another PT. Obviously we don't know what the other stages are like so everything I'm about to say is totally speculation. But Froakie is hinted to be water/fighting. That makes me think he's gonna grow up to be big and bulky (also water types are often bulky). This would make him a solid 3rd stage pokemon for the new PT. I have no idea what to expect from Fennekin or Chespin, but I doubt they would repeat the same type order as Brawl's PT, so likely Chespin would be the Squirtle replacement. So the new 6th gen PT could be Chespin>Fennekin 2nd stage>Froakie 3rd stage.

On top of that, Red (Brawl's PT) was relevant during Brawl's roster gathering period because of Fire Red/Leaf Green. 6th gen is relevant now, and now is when they're gathering Sm4sh's roster.

On top of even that, if a humanoidish pseudo legendary is revealed, I would expect that over a new PT. But I would prefer a new PT. (well I would prefer old PT (well I would prefer both...))(also I would prefer Mewtwo to be in the mix)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We're not going to get another PT; the only reason we got one for Gen 1 was because Gen 1 is so popular, specifically Squirtle, Charizard, and the Pokémon Trainer (who arguably represents Ash and/or Red, both of whom are very popular). Charizard especially is very popular, and is easily IMO more popular than every post-Gen 1 Pokémon (yes, that includes Lucario). None of that had to do with the FireRed/LeafGreen release. Nothing of anything relating to Gen 1's popularity has to do with FireRed/LeafGreen.

Plus it is unlike the current Pokémon Trainer will be changed, given how much time that would take (3 original characters worth of work) compared to if the current Pokémon Trainer (and his Pokémon) just had their data transferred and modified. That would easily take at the very least 1/30th the development time of making a new Pokémon Trainer with 3 new Pokémon, as well as easily at least 1/10th the financial budgetary cost.

Also, the Gen 6 starters are ugly and look somewhat uninspired and unoriginal, and so far have gathered mixed results.

Lastly, we play as characters, not "Generations" in Smash Bros. Charizard, Squirtle, and Ash are all more popular and well-known individually than all of the collective whole of the 3 6th Gen starters and their 2 evolutions each combined will ever be, so replacing them would make zero sense whatsoever. Adding a new, unique Pokémon that isn't a starter would be the way to go to add the best possibly new Pokémon playable character (since the fans demand at least one more playable Pokémon per smash game).

peeup

Smash Lord
I like the new starters =( #foreveralone

I see where you're coming from though. But what if no Lucario/Mewtwo esque pokemon is revealed in time?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think when SSB4 gets its trailer, the roster will have been already been decided (Like how Brawl's final complete roster was decided), so that would mean a 6th Generation Pokemon could possibly been already decided in that roster.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Maybe its just me, but I think we'll get to see the Pokemon Trainer with gen 5 starters in Smash 4, due to the fact that they were advertised super hard and were playable in plenty of games such as BW 1 and 2, PokePark 2, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3DS. Though, with the release of Pokemon X and Y their chances of being playable characters now have been hurt, since they're not the most recent Pokemon anymore, which kinda bites because I'm a big fan of Gen 5.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think when SSB4 gets its trailer, the roster will have been already been decided (Like how Brawl's final complete roster was decided), so that would mean a 6th Generation Pokemon could possibly been already decided in that roster.
Brawl's final complete roster wasn't decided by the time the first trailer was shown. Sonic wasn't added yet, possibly not Wolf either, and chances are characters like Mewtwo, Roy, and others from the Forbidden 7 hadn't been cut yet. The earliest we can guess the roster was in its final form is in early 2007.

That being said, I'm sure Sakurai has known about Gen VI for a while already, and is familiar with more of the Pokemon from it than we are, including a possible Lucario/Zoroark equivalent.

D

Deleted member

Sonic was a last-minute addition, and various characters were last minute cuts.
Sakurai mentioned that the roster had been finalized in 2005 until Sonic came in in 2007.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All I'm saying is that the roster wasn't in its "final complete" form until 2007.
Sakurai might've decided on his original definitive roster in 05, but it obviously changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom