• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

gc or classic controller for lucas?

Ga-in

Smash Rookie
hi, ive been playing with lucas for some months, I use the wimote alone, I use it because im old school and ive always played fighting games with the pad since street fighter lol, Im not a bad player but i think if I want to be better I should switch to another controller because they gave so many options. Ive tried the Wiimote+nunchuk but i cant play that way so I must choose between Gc and the classic one.

based in your own experience, which one is better for a Lucas player?, which are your settings? B-sticking or not?

Hope you can help me decide
Sorry for my bad english
thanks

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the Lucas Boards.

The grand majority of players use the gc controller, but some use the classic. I would recomend the gc controller.

As for B-sticking, it depends on how you play. Normal C-stick is better for aerial movement and control, and faster smashes. B-sticking is better for ATs, camping, and recovery. Less people b-stick than before, but the b stick still allows to be be more flashy.

Levitas

the moon
I use the gamecube controller with L set to jump. This enables zap jumps w/o me having to claw. I do not bstick anymore. This takes away massive wavebounces, but grants an easier time maneuvering aerials.

S.D

Smash Master
GC control always forever. R set to jump for me, L for shielding for zapjumping like Levitas. B sticking is a matter of personal preference. The drawbacks are the accuracy of aerials can be compromised while the plus side is easy wavebouncing and auto RAR.

Most people use GC control.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
GC for life! It's sturdy, durable, great sticks (no homo), and buttons are ideal for smash. I just leave my controls the same (Melee vet here). I only change when I;m DDD (Cstick grab tap jump off for DDD)

MoonGhost

Smash Rookie
To anyone who has the classic controller: Is it similar to playing with a sole wii-mote? I tried that before and didn't like it too well.

I'm worried that I'll wear my gc controller out like I did my first one back with melee. They don't make gc controllers anymore right?

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Well, I still see some GC at a store that sells old VGs.....
If you ever buy one, make sure it's not used. :(

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i'm 70% that those who use GC controller, it's because of Melee, and have never try to play with CC. At the beginning it feels wear, specially for those with big hands, but that's only the first day.

S.D

Smash Master
Most melee vets, me included, feel more comfortable with GC control. If something else works better for you that's fine, some top players use wiimote for crying out loud but I don't think that's the best way to go.

http://www.play-asia.com/ is the place to go for all your GC control needs.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Most melee vets, me included, feel more comfortable with GC control. If something else works better for you that's fine, some top players use wiimote for crying out loud but I don't think that's the best way to go.

http://www.play-asia.com/ is the place to go for all your GC control needs.
GC controller ftw

and as far as top players with a wiimote, well just look at ultimate-razer :)

Booseter Seat

Smash Cadet
For me, GC Wavebird controller, no b-sticking. GC works great, really the right choice when using a character like Lucas, especially if you prefer b-sticking. There are a lot of ATs that I'm sure would be easier to pull off without the hassle of the Classic controller or Wiimote. And if you played Melee and were adjusted to the GC, it might be easier to play with that. Just my opinion.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I stick with the GC controller since the A button is in a much more convenient spot then in a classic controller.

That, and it's similar to melee.

I wouldn't recommend B-sticking if you play other characters, it makes them a bit too awkward to play. You can still wavebounce without it.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
I would recomment GC controller. You should use whatever you feel comfortable with though. GC is easier for me since it feels more comfortable, the buttons are in better positions, and ATs are easier to do. Bsticking is hard and awkward at first, but you can get used to it after a while. It does make Zap Jump and Wavebouncing easier imo.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
I personally put a lot of thought into my controller setup as I had both readily available and no Melee experience to bias me toward GC.

I went Classic, mostly because of a few little modifications I did to my control scheme (L button jump) and the control sticks being better. I think it's a nice advantage as far as finger movement to not have to have any gap between a jump and an aerial; I can SH Fair _really_ fast when I go L button to smashing the C-stick instead of x to c.

Because the GC's L button is gigantic I couldn't do this on the Cube controller.

Oh, to be weird I also use tilt stick to make autocancelled Nairs with air movement easier.

Again, it's all up to what feels better for you. This is just why I run CC.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I use a classic controller. It feels sleek and not as clunky. It also makes my hands sweat less.

And I guess I'm one of the few who still use B-stick. The slew of easily executable glitch techs far outweighs the few negatives in my case, although it's just a matter of preference and personal play style. Although it's been proven to me that you CAN do everything you do with the B-stick with the standard controls, whether or not you WILL is debatable on account of the increased difficulty. I use the glitch techniques more than repeated smashes or certain aerial maneuvers, so I prefer this style.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I use the GC controller (my awesome Spice controller, the only c i use for Smash, and my favorite controller out of all I've ever owned) with b-stick. I've tried to use CC but I just can't get it...
I'm considering moding the controller so that the C-stick is like the normal Control stick. (it's very easy, if you have the screw driver, all you need is another GC control stick and you're set, since the sticks are reversable (both will work in the other's place))
but I'm sure if I ever went to a tourney that wouldn't fly...

c3gill

Smash Ace
I'm considering moding the controller so that the C-stick is like the normal Control stick. (it's very easy, if you have the screw driver, all you need is another GC control stick and you're set, since the sticks are reversable (both will work in the other's place))
but I'm sure if I ever went to a tourney that wouldn't fly...

That sounds a lot like the CC.....

I have been using the GC, but i am in a transition period at the moment, and I am trying to get used to CC..... switching from GC is a pain though :(

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I have custom controls for Ness and Lucas, and they both involve classic controller.
I've found it to be much more comfortable than my gc, and it's worked for me.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I have been using the GC, but i am in a transition period at the moment, and I am trying to get used to CC..... switching from GC is a pain though :(
it was just a pain on my hands, until recently- the switch has been screwing up PK thunders and PKT2 recoverys. I played a few friendlies earlier and i mustve died 3 or 4 times in about 6 matches because of this recovery issue.

lesson?- if you plan on switching controllers, do it well before any planned tournaments.

Ga-in

Smash Rookie
well i couldnt find any gc controller lol, so I bought the Classic one. At first it was really difficult, its not easy now but I can make things that were impossible to do with the wiimote horizontal.
Im b-Sticking and I feel very confortable with that.
thank you so much for ur comments

Top Bottom