• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GC Controller Jump?

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
So I was using a Wiimote-Nunchuk combination until I recently got my GC controller, and I used to have tap jump off and use the "c" button to jump. Now, I still don't like tap jump, but using "X" for EVERY jump seems a little hard as it moves you away from some buttons and the c-stick.

So would anyone here have any suggestions on comfortable jump buttons on a GC controller?

Crow!

Smash Lord
If you're really concerned about having your fingers on every button at every time rather than *gasp* moving your fingers one centimeter, I suggest you claw the controller. That is, adjust your right hand so your thumb is at the C-Stick, your index finger has access to the main buttons, and your middle finger and maybe your ring finger handle Z and R.

Wiimote/Nunchuck really isn't that bad if you get used to Shake Smash and move the buttons around a lot and use the D-Pad in addition. In particular, you never run into the problem of your fingers not already being where you need them to be.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I deduce you aren't using the R trigger for Specials are you? That's where your index finger was on the Wiimote. If you can learn to use the B face button on the GC Controller, you can learn to use the R trigger to jump. Trust me, I went from Wiimote+Nunchuck (still my favorite for Luigi) to Classic (for my B-Sticking Lucas), and it works wonders. R as Jump should be the default, really. No need to claw.

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
For what it's worth, I use Z for jump for the exact reason you mentioned. (R seems too hard to push down for me to use for all that jumping... I remember what SSX 3 did to my hands!) I leave X for other jump, Y for grab. (I have recently considered the fact that just getting used to Tap Jump might simplify my life. :-))

In the end, basically I have two hand-positions: right finger on Z >> using L for block, and quick access to all buttons and C-stick; right finger on R >> L or R for block, X for jump, further trip to C-stick. The latter is more comfortable and my jump timing is definitely more precise with thumb than index finger, but I'm pretty comfortable switching around when I need to now.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
So I was using a Wiimote-Nunchuk combination until I recently got my GC controller, and I used to have tap jump off and use the "c" button to jump. Now, I still don't like tap jump, but using "X" for EVERY jump seems a little hard as it moves you away from some buttons and the c-stick.

So would anyone here have any suggestions on comfortable jump buttons on a GC controller?
I personally love the wiimote and chuck because it takes less time for your thumb to travel to the next button. Though using the default settings seems like a waste of that nice d-pad.

Why did you buy the gamecube controller? Players mainly use it because they were either too used to melee and didn't want to change controllers or because of the C-stick so that they can "wavebounce" and auto-RAR with b-sticking. You can do the latter with the classic controller.

Anyway, if you weren't using Z to shield with the mote'n'chuck then you could set the L button to jump. Also, back when I was using the Gamecube controller I used my thumb joint to control the C-stick (if that makes sense).

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
If you're really concerned about having your fingers on every button at every time rather than *gasp* moving your fingers one centimeter, I suggest you claw the controller. That is, adjust your right hand so your thumb is at the C-Stick, your index finger has access to the main buttons, and your middle finger and maybe your ring finger handle Z and R.

Wiimote/Nunchuck really isn't that bad if you get used to Shake Smash and move the buttons around a lot and use the D-Pad in addition. In particular, you never run into the problem of your fingers not already being where you need them to be.
People really do this? Without knowing anything, I tried a couple of times, but that's so hard...

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
Way to ressurect a three-week-old thread. I jump with X, it's really not that far to move your thumb.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
r is too weird a button to short hop consistently imo. z is the better option, and use r to grab, if you must have a grab button (zairs for one).

Smash Apprentice
How can you people use R for jump? it makes incredible noise and ***** your controllor ;X

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I deduce you aren't using the R trigger for Specials are you? That's where your index finger was on the Wiimote. If you can learn to use the B face button on the GC Controller, you can learn to use the R trigger to jump. Trust me, I went from Wiimote+Nunchuck (still my favorite for Luigi) to Classic (for my B-Sticking Lucas), and it works wonders. R as Jump should be the default, really. No need to claw.
Man, el, thats a good idea. I would have to use L, because I shield goofy, but yeah, shoulder button jump. I like it.

How can you people use R for jump? it makes incredible noise and ***** your controllor ;X
Take out the springs. Panda says it's legal.

Top Bottom