• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gay, ****, Homo and similar words...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
So why are people offended by the word 'gay' if it isn't used in a derogatory sense? There is literally no reason for it, other than trying to get attention and exercise a martyr complex.

I'm talking about using 'gay' as a synonym for 'bad' btw, regardless of the origin of that definition, it clearly has no connection with homosexuality in modern society.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
No connection? I think not.

On language: It's true that language evolves and words take on new meanings. But the most common usage of "gay" is still in reference to someone's sexual orientation, and the most common usage of "****" is still in reference to forced sex. The semantic associations between words and their meanings strong enough that whenever you hear a word, each different meaning is activated in memory (with the most closely associated meaning receiving the most activation). Yes, this process is influenced by context, but you can never completely separate a word from its primary meaning.

You claim that "gay" and "gay" are two different words--then why are other words, associated with "gay" the sexual orientation, used interchangeably with "gay" meaning uncool? If someone gets b-aired by Jigglypuff five times, they might say "that was so gay", or they could say "you're a ******". Are you really going to argue that "******" has taken on a new meaning as well? "A person who plays gay"? Come on. If "****" in reference to someone beating someone else isn't supposed to conjure **** imagery, why do people always make comments on youtube saying things like "that was so ****! flagging this video for sexual content!" and get a million thumbs ups? Clearly the words aren't as detached from their original meanings as you'd like to think.

But to elaborate, it's a process that happens subconsciously. Most of the time, only the meaning that receives the most activation reaches awareness (which is why I said it's influenced by context), but the other meanings are all primed in memory and affect the way you think. It's an easily measurable effect that has been demonstrated time and time again.
If you are incapable of understanding why people are hurt by it, think of it this way: people ARE hurt by it, whether you think it's rational or not, and by continuing to use the words you are deliberately hurting them. Why do people insist on continuing to use language that others have told them is hurtful? There is literally no reason for it, other than resenting those who are affected by it.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm sociopathic so people can feel hurt all they want lol

But I'm not straight and when people say gay in smash, sexuality doesn't even cross my mind. It's like if someone says gimp, I don't imagine a bdsm sexual deviant. I don't see why people would, these things are so far removed from video games.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm sociopathic so people can feel hurt all they want lol
That's not an excuse for you to be able to run around hurting others without consequence or remorse.

But I'm not straight and when people say gay in smash, sexuality doesn't even cross my mind. It's like if someone says gimp, I don't imagine a bdsm sexual deviant. I don't see why people would, these things are so far removed from video games.
It doesn't cross your mind, but it crosses the minds of everyone familiar with the definition of gay being homosexual and how the term is used to describe something negative. Basically, equating someone's sexuality with a negative thing or insult.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Basically, equating someone's sexuality with a negative thing or insult.
A very strong statement to sum up the whole matter in regards to the issue with sexuality, by using "gay" to imply a negative or unpleasant occurrence indirectly relates the act or idea of homosexuality as "bad", simply because we abuse the word in everyday events.

Why should we use these potentially hurtful and sexually related terms to express how we feel about an occurrence? They only mark the act or idea of homosexuality negatively. Similarly with ****, as it is typically thought as a good thing to destroy an opponent, hence "****" them.

We aren't necessarily hurting others, but also hurting ourselves, and stripping our own beliefs and creating empty crevices of hate towards specific matters regarding sexuality, without any rhyme or reason to believe such a thing, besides the general use of the world in everyday language to implicate a negative or positive action, which has no clear connections with the word itself.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as this is a new account, I wouldn't expect any of you to know my former account's name and the thread I posted a long time ago about using the word '****' while playing smash. At that time, I felt it was insensitive.

Now, even though I still believe it is insensitive, I've grown accustomed to the words and phrases used by the gaming community. While you may not believe in such usage, you should also grow to expect it.

You can't expect the gaming community to change or adhere to what you think is right. It is an extremely large community with many different opinions and beliefs.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'll say whatever bull**** I want. If you have a weak stomach for such words, I don't know how you exist as a human being when the words n!gga, f@g, and biotch are thrown out like nothing. Grow up thread maker.

:018:

You can say whatever you want? Clearly, Smashboards thinks otherwise.

And I think it's you who should grow up. Not caring the slightest for other people's feelings, thumping your chest by telling everyone "Hey, I'm Seagull Joe, and I say whatever I want unless the Smashboards says it's a no no!", and overall being ignorant to words and their power are pretty indicative that you are immature. And the OP exists as a human being because for one, he is a human being. And two, he actually understands the power behind words and what they do.

Words associated closely with hatred of a sexuality or skin color are deeply offensive. If you think they're just words and nothing more, you clearly don't understand the nature of communication and what it conveys while ignoring the fact you use the power of communication every day to keep you safe from a road under construction, describe an emotional bond with a family member or significant other, or for someone to even save your life if you need it.

I sincerely hope you're trolling, because it sounds like you are an immature brat who lives in his close minded world and refuses to step out and acknowledge other people or their feelings.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So what's the point of this thread still being open exactly?

People were asked not to say certain words pretty clearly and loudly already, and some will comply with the request because they didn't realize these implications before while others will continue to say what they want because that's how immature they are.

This thread of arguing language or shaming people is not helping the community anymore than the immature behavior of some people is.

Once the Smash community keeps it's commentators (official representatives) in check for the crap that flies out of their mouths, I will believe this behavior is being taken more seriously than a PC public service announcement that's purely for show without real consequences.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
You can say whatever you want? Clearly, Smashboards thinks otherwise.

And I think it's you who should grow up. Not caring the slightest for other people's feelings, thumping your chest by telling everyone "Hey, I'm Seagull Joe, and I say whatever I want unless the Smashboards says it's a no no!", and overall being ignorant to words and their power are pretty indicative that you are immature. And the OP exists as a human being because for one, he is a human being. And two, he actually understands the power behind words and what they do.

Words associated closely with hatred of a sexuality or skin color are deeply offensive. If you think they're just words and nothing more, you clearly don't understand the nature of communication and what it conveys while ignoring the fact you use the power of communication every day to keep you safe from a road under construction, describe an emotional bond with a family member or significant other, or for someone to even save your life if you need it.

I sincerely hope you're trolling, because it sounds like you are an immature brat who lives in his close minded world and refuses to step out and acknowledge other people or their feelings.
I don't care about other people's feelings. Why should I?

Close minded world and refusing to step out? Do you hear every rap song ever? N!ggan!ggan!gga!!!!!

I'm a 22 year old. I know ****. It's not immaturity that holds me back, it's the fact that I only look out for numero uno.
So why are people offended by the word 'gay' if it isn't used in a derogatory sense? There is literally no reason for it, other than trying to get attention and exercise a martyr complex.

I'm talking about using 'gay' as a synonym for 'bad' btw, regardless of the origin of that definition, it clearly has no connection with homosexuality in modern society.
Before it even meant homosexual, it meant happy. I don't bash homos, but I'll be damned if I can't say the words I want because I can.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I don't care about other people's feelings. Why should I?
Because society is moving forward and people should genuinely care about each other so humanity can actually advance. It's guys like you with antiquated, selfish, egotistical complexes that weigh down everyone else. Why should I care about society moving forward? What good reason is there not?

Close minded world and refusing to step out? Do you hear every rap song ever? N!ggan!ggan!gga!!!!!
And that's an excuse to use a racial slur why?

I'm a 22 year old. I know ****. It's not immaturity that holds me back, it's the fact that I only look out for numero uno.
I rest my case. Immature and not adept enough to function in society. Hm, I question why in the world you find it important to look out for yourself? Why should you?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Because society is moving forward and people should genuinely care about each other so humanity can actually advance. It's guys like you with antiquated, selfish, egotistical complexes that weigh down everyone else. Why should I care about society moving forward? What good reason is there not?

And that's an excuse to use a racial slur why?

I rest my case. Immature and not adept enough to function in society. Hm, I question why in the world you find it important to look out for yourself? Why should you?
I'm a productive member of society with a degree, great job, and a girlfriend. People love me for the most part XD.

Why should I care about other people? If I'm happy, then why should what anyone else say matter?

Settle down nerd.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm a productive member of society with a degree, great job, and a girlfriend. People love me for the most part XD.

Why should I care about other people? If I'm happy, then why should what anyone else say matter?

Settle down nerd.

That doesn't make sense, you only care about yourself yet the opinions of others suddenly matter? You're contradicting yourself. And you still didn't answer the question of why caring about yourself is even important to you.

If being happy is all that matters to you, and you genuinely don't care about anyone else but yourself, do you actually care about your girlfriend? I mean, under your logic her feelings aren't your issue. Sounds like another contradiction if you care about her. Must be a great relationship if you don't care about her feelings, right?

JJTheJetPlane

Smash Cadet
The more I hear the term gay being used in smash, the more flamboyant I act. As a result, I act particularly flamboyant at smashfests. Not really sure why.

Sometimes the word bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on who is using it, the context, and what kind of mood I'm in. Used to bother me a lot more when I was closeted.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That's not an excuse for you to be able to run around hurting others without consequence or remorse.
Actually it is an excuse for me to not have remorse, that's exactly what sociopathy is, lol

It doesn't cross your mind, but it crosses the minds of everyone familiar with the definition of gay being homosexual and how the term is used to describe something negative. Basically, equating someone's sexuality with a negative thing or insult.
But it isn't equating it with something negative. I gave an example of this; gimp having two meanings (one in the Smash community and one out). Should people get offended when talking about garden hoes? Or Santa Claus' "ho, ho, ho"? My name is Mason, and I've had it misspelt/mispronounced as Manson before - I'm not offended just because a serial killer happens to share that name. If we're going by the precedent set by the examples I mentioned above, there is no reason to give the term 'gay' extra baggage about homosexuality and negativity when it's used in a Smash-sense.

That doesn't make sense, you only care about yourself yet the opinions of others suddenly matter? You're contradicting yourself. And you still didn't answer the question of why caring about yourself is even important to you.

If being happy is all that matters to you, and you genuinely don't care about anyone else but yourself, do you actually care about your girlfriend? I mean, under your logic her feelings aren't your issue. Sounds like another contradiction if you care about her. Must be a great relationship if you don't care about her feelings, right?
You need to study psychology if you're going to try and broach subjects like this mang, lol. Not caring about the feelings of others doesn't mean that you can't be nice to people - being nice to people gives them incentive to be nice to you; this kind-of karma is actually what ALL human relationships are based on, some people are just more honest about their 'selfishness' than others.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This world would be a lot easier if people didn't call malicious on everything people say.

One of the reasons Anthony Jeselnik is one of my favorite comedians is because his jokes revolve around dark and offensive humor; I think it's important to be able to laugh at things like that so you're not emotionally staggered by things people would normally consider as "offensive".

"Society is moving forward" is bull**** because all society is now is people whining about words that hurt their feelings. If we're moving forward, forward is a terrible direction.

Edit: That's not to say we shouldn't react when people are purposefully trying to piss us off with slurs, though, before anyone decides to be ironic and attack me for opinions.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Wow, I didn't know the Smashboards had such terrible, negative people in its community. Guess I shouldn't have expected more I guess, it's pretty clear the gamer stereotype of using discriminatory language just because Louis C.K. says it's okay and walking over other people's feelings holds pretty true here.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I didn't know the Smashboards had such terrible, negative people in its community. Guess I shouldn't have expected more I guess, it's pretty clear the gamer stereotype of using discriminatory language just because Louis C.K. says it's okay and walking over other people's feelings holds pretty true here.

Seriously, don't generalize. You've been talking to a few people if only one person. It's not just the gaming community that uses foul language. Your fault was expecting anything out of the human race as a whole. To be fair, there are still good people out there.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
"Seriously, don't generalize. You've been talking to a few people if only one person. It's not just the gaming community that uses foul language. Your fault was expecting anything out of the human race as a whole. To be fair, there are still good people out there." -S7GF

I do agree with your point regarding such blatant generalization, however, you cannot tell me that we are not using these sexual terms to imply a negative effect. And even if someone decides to use these words in everyday language, how does that make them bad? All it indicates is that the person is ignorant enough to imply a negative meaning from a word regarding sexuality, not that they are a bad person. Everyone here needs to realize that their answers are not completely morally correct, because no answer is. We are simply bouncing thoughts regarding these terms.

Besides, who can define the morality of such a diverse group? Think about that before you criticize another's opinion.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
"Seriously, don't generalize. You've been talking to a few people if only one person. It's not just the gaming community that uses foul language. Your fault was expecting anything out of the human race as a whole. To be fair, there are still good people out there." -S7GF

I do agree with your point regarding such blatant generalization, however, you cannot tell me that we are not using these sexual terms to imply a negative effect. And even if someone decides to use these words in everyday language, how does that make them bad? All it indicates is that the person is ignorant enough to imply a negative meaning from a word regarding sexuality, not that they are a bad person. Everyone here needs to realize that their answers are not completely morally correct, because no answer is. We are simply bouncing thoughts regarding these terms.

Besides, who can define the morality of such a diverse group? Think about that before you criticize another's opinion.
I never said that gamers were or were not using the sexual terms to imply a negative effect. For the record, for some it's just a habit. For others, they do say these things to impose a negative effect. It does slip out of my mouth sometimes, but I like to think I'm generally a kind person.

My characterization of "good" or "bad" wasn't to bring morality into the issue, which I can understand since it was a poor representation of my thoughts. I was just trying to offer some insight and/or hope - my bad.

I wasn't criticizing his opinion because I wanted to argue, but his blatant generalization puts all gamers in a bad light, which I could not stand by and let go unnoticed.

I wasn't trying to define or argue if these terms are moral or immoral. My main contribution to the thread was reminding those who have read this that it's just a part of life. While it may or may not be moral or immoral, I think it's too much to expect everyone to change or completely understand just how sensitive the terms may be to some people.

Hopefully this post cleared up some of the confusion I might have brought up with my previous statements.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think people who denounce an entire group of people on the internet are totally awesome and positive.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
The whole 'grow up' thing is the reason the fighting game community is denounced in general. We tell people who are offended by words to 'grow up' or 'grow a pair'. How about, instead of changing other people, we realize what fools we are making of ourselves and grow up by learning better words to describe how we are feeling. Stop attaching meanings to words that skew the meaning to something awful. Equal rights are part of a huge debate right now, so the words will hold greater sensitivity. Calling people 'gay' or '****' does not make you cool. You aren't making your own definition, you're just being a bigot.
Saying that you '*****' someone should not be a good thing. **** is an awful thing that no one should have to go through, no matter their gender.

Sure, accidents happen. Old habits die hard. But seriously, there are better words!

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
How about, instead of changing other people, we realize what fools we are making of ourselves and grow up by learning better words to describe how we are feeling.
Justify use of the word 'better', justify the assertion that using the words 'gay' and '****' is immature.

Stop attaching meanings to words that skew the meaning to something awful. Equal rights are part of a huge debate right now, so the words will hold greater sensitivity. Calling people 'gay' or '***s' does not make you cool. You aren't making your own definition, you're just being a bigot.
Incorrect. Language is constantly evolving, definitions cannot be 'skewed' because they are not rigid in the first place. The only time someone is skewing a definition is if they are using it in a way that does not convey the meaning they intend; seeing as the use of the word 'gay' does convey the intended meaning within the Smash community, it is perfectly okay. It can also convey a secondary meaning, but this meaning is not intended, and it isn't interpreted as such by the majority of the community (otherwise we wouldn't have this 'problem').

Saying that you '*****' someone should not be a good thing. **** is an awful thing that no one should have to go through, no matter their gender.
Saying that something is '********' should not be a good thing. Being mentally handicapped is an awful thing that no one should have to go through. We could be here all night denouncing the use of words because of their origins. Society in general needs to learn to not be offended by things that aren't intended to cause offence. There is no reason for it, as I mentioned above, it is simply exercising a martyr/victim complex and crying for attention.

Let it be known that '****' is possibly an exception to this.

Grow up.

It's also cute that some people in this thread seem to believe in objective morality, and free will. Sah cute.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Better as in more creative and correct by definition

And just because you can adapt the meaning doesn't = it is being used in a good way. And in this case, language would be devolving.

Plus, when you are using these words in a negative way, they are being used to cause offense, even if its in a different definition. It's still negative.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Better as in more creative and correct by definition

And just because you can adapt the meaning doesn't = it is being used in a good way. And in this case, language would be devolving.

Plus, when you are using these words in a negative way, they are being used to cause offense, even if its in a different definition. It's still negative.
They are both correct by definition. Oh, and the people who use creativity as a reason to not use slurs/swear words rustle my jimmies. We aren't writing poetry here, folks, we're communicating. I'm sorry if my language isn't flowery enough for you, but I'm not trying to entertain you. Unless you were talking about something else? Is the fact that a word can mean two different things not creative enough for you? XD

Devolving is a silly word. The word 'evolution' doesn't necessarily have a positive connotation, but regardless: if you (or anyone else) feel(s) like these words are negative - feel free to not use them and tell others why you don't use them in an effort to change their mind. HOWEVER:
1. I have seen no objective justification to not use them yet, just assertions based on a predisposed, intrinsic 'good' or 'bad' value that they apparently have.
2. Censorship is stupid. So I hope no one here is suggesting or supports preventive measures to stop the use of these words.
3. It is ridiculous to cast judgment upon someone based on their word choice, in this instance. You can't say that a smasher who uses 'gay'/'****' is a bad person, because actually sitting down with the players in questions will tell a very different story.

Wait why is it still negative? Gay meant 'happy' before it ever meant 'homosexual' or even, more recently, 'lame'.

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
They are both correct by definition. Oh, and the people who use creativity as a reason to not use slurs/swear words rustle my jimmies. We aren't writing poetry here, folks, we're communicating. I'm sorry if my language isn't flowery enough for you, but I'm not trying to entertain you. Unless you were talking about something else? Is the fact that a word can mean two different things not creative enough for you? XD

Devolving is a silly word. The word 'evolution' doesn't necessarily have a positive connotation, but regardless: if you (or anyone else) feel(s) like these words are negative - feel free to not use them and tell others why you don't use them in an effort to change their mind. HOWEVER:
1. I have seen no objective justification to not use them yet, just assertions based on a predisposed, intrinsic 'good' or 'bad' value that they apparently have.
2. Censorship is stupid. So I hope no one here is suggesting or supports preventive measures to stop the use of these words.
3. It is ridiculous to cast judgment upon someone based on their word choice, in this instance. You can't say that a smasher who uses 'gay'/'****' is a bad person, because actually sitting down with the players in questions will tell a very different story.

Wait why is it still negative? Gay meant 'happy' before it ever meant 'homosexual' or even, more recently, 'lame'.
What you need is a dime, and a Godspeed You! Black Emperor record.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we should be banning certain words or anything, but if you knowingly use a term that's offensive to someone you're talking to then honestly you're kind of a ****

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I don't use terms that I know are offensive to people I'm talking to, or at least I try to avoid it (I said **** while commentating a convention brawl match with items on once lol, broadcast to the whole audience via microphone)

But I don't avoid using gay/**** in social, smash-based situations either, even amongst people that I don't know

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
These are my thoughts:

-The word "gay" have a special sort of impact, just like the word "******" does. Most people nowadays don't use those words to refer to homosexual people anyway, just like people don't use the word "dumb" to refer to deaf and mute people. These are words that need to be separated from homophobic mentalities and desensitized because they are too good. Frequent use of them the way we have will cause that in combination with more acceptance of homosexuality in the community (a bunch of our players are homosexual, let's put them in forefront if anyone accuses the community of homophobia).

-The word **** should NOT be desensitized. The word has been cheapened so much that it's lost all impact value. **** was a word used to describe ridiculous victories over another person. Just saying the word made people think that you just desecrated and sullied the name of the person in the eye of the public for your own pleasure. Now it's just the most common word for "beat". That word needs to be in an extended period of non-usage for it to regain its impact. In the meantime, people should be encouraged to be more creative with their descriptions. Say something like "I got drawn and quartered", "I've been morbidly emasculated", or "I got molested". I understand some (lame) people are offended by the words that may evoke painful memories (like AIDS, cancer, ****, murder, etc) but black humor is the pinnacle of human achievement.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I had a whole second half to the post that apparently didn't post (awww) :/
It was saying how that's just my opinion and people can say whatever they want

And the negative thing still occurs because when you are using Jess terms in a smash sense, yep pole usually use then to describe something negative (gay is put towards cheap, lame, etc; **** is negative for the person you use it against; etcetcetc)

Once again I'm just arguing definitions and don't have any control over people. I just like a good, civilized debate :3 yaaaay!

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
justify the assertion that using the words 'gay' and '****' is immature.
immature (adj.): emotionally undeveloped; juvenile; childish.

Immaturity is generally associated with self-centeredness and being oblivious to the way one's actions impact others. The only argument I've seen for continuing the use of "gay" and "****" revolves around the idea that being able to say what you want, when you want is more important than making other people feel good. To me it appears that "immature" is being used appropriately in this context.

It can also convey a secondary meaning, but this meaning is not intended, and it isn't interpreted as such by the majority of the community (otherwise we wouldn't have this 'problem').
Kyu Puff said:
You claim that "gay" and "gay" are two different words--then why are other words, associated with "gay" the sexual orientation, used interchangeably with "gay" meaning uncool? If someone gets b-aired by Jigglypuff five times, they might say "that was so gay", or they could say "you're a ******". Are you really going to argue that "******" has taken on a new meaning as well? "A person who plays gay"? Come on. If "****" in reference to someone beating someone else isn't supposed to conjure **** imagery, why do people always make comments on youtube saying things like "that was so ****! flagging this video for sexual content!" and get a million thumbs ups? Clearly the words aren't as detached from their original meanings as you'd like to think.
Grim Tuesday said:
You have several people telling you how certain words affect them emotionally. The intrinsic "good" or "bad" value associated with a word is a major component of the emotional response that it triggers. You said yourself that, as a sociopath, being nice has an important function--treat others well and they will treat you well in return. How is this any different? By continuing to use language that others have informed you is hurtful, you are bound to hurt people. Even if you think they have no good reason to be hurt by it. And in return, those people will probably develop less-than-favorable feelings toward you, making them less likely to treat you well in the future.

Grim Tuesday said:
It's also cute that some people in this thread seem to believe in objective morality, and free will. Sah cute.
I believe in a shared, instinctive morality that evolved with our species, as well as more sociological morality that evolved with our respective cultures. Obviously sociopathy is an exception to the former. I also believe that we have will free enough to be held accountable for our actions.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, you need to be sensitive to others. Don't say those words around people who are hurt by them and ask you not to because that's just what a good human being does. On the other hand, THEY are the immature ones. No one should have restrictions placed on their speech because a some people decided (notice I said DECIDED) to be sensitive about it. This is very similar to the vegetarian who believes that the hot dog stand outside his home is violating his rights.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
On one hand, you need to be sensitive to others. Don't say those words around people who are hurt by them and ask you not to because that's just what a good human being does. On the other hand, THEY are the immature ones. No one should have restrictions placed on their speech because a some people decided (notice I said DECIDED) to be sensitive about it. This is very similar to the vegetarian who believes that the hot dog stand outside his home is violating his rights.

You have every right to be as hateful, mean, or immature in your speech as you want to in the United States. Hence, Westboro says whatever they please and no one can stop them and 4chan says whatever insane stuff it wants. But just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it.

You don't necessarily have restrictions placed on your speech, but your speech can be very hateful nonetheless. And I don't understand what you mean about, "deciding", to be sensitive about it. Would this mean someone getting repeatedly told to kill themselves actively chooses to be hurt by those words? Or is this limited to cases where a word for homosexual or something like that is taken and redefined as just an overall negative and people get offended because people basically equate homosexuality and an insult/negative based on the historic oppression of them?

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I've posted about this several times, this is just silly.
I know gay people that use this terminology, so this should be done on a case by case way.
You can say a lot of things that offend people by mistake, if a person has a problem with what I say, let them tell me to my face and I'll stop 99% of the time.

I will however continue to use whatever words I wish to describe whatever situations I wish until then.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
You don't necessarily have restrictions placed on your speech, but your speech can be very hateful nonetheless. And I don't understand what you mean about, "deciding", to be sensitive about it. Would this mean someone getting repeatedly told to kill themselves actively chooses to be hurt by those words? Or is this limited to cases where a word for homosexual or something like that is taken and redefined as just an overall negative and people get offended because people basically equate homosexuality and an insult/negative based on the historic oppression of them?
The second part. If someone is attacking you personally, telling you to kill yourself or even saying "you're gay," then in my opinion, that is very wrong and I think most people would agree. On the other hand, simply saying "God, Marth is so gay" is very different. That's what I mean by "deciding" to be offended, these people think that they have a right to police everyone's speech in a general sense and THEY decide what words you can't say because it hurts THEM. To be honest, I have had people in the past tell me not to say ******** because they have family members who are mentally ******** and they don't like it. I respected them as much as I could, but sometime I would slip up and say it because well, that's just something I'm used to saying. On the other hand, one of my best friends has a brother who is mentally handicapped and he says ******** all the time.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
The second part. If someone is attacking you personally, telling you to kill yourself or even saying "you're gay," then in my opinion, that is very wrong and I think most people would agree. On the other hand, simply saying "God, Marth is so gay" is very different. That's what I mean by "deciding" to be offended, these people think that they have a right to police everyone's speech in a general sense and THEY decide what words you can't say because it hurts THEM. To be honest, I have had people in the past tell me not to say ******** because they have family members who are mentally ******** and they don't like it. I respected them as much as I could, but sometime I would slip up and say it because well, that's just something I'm used to saying. On the other hand, one of my best friends has a brother who is mentally handicapped and he says ******** all the time.

This kind of reminds me of the scene in Clerks 2 where they guy tries to "take back" a racial slur and proceeds to offend a black woman while the man could care less. And also, no one has the right to "shut you up", but they do have the right to voice how they get offended by a word being used. They actually do have the right to police what people say be utilizing their own freedom of speech. For instance, if someone were to make a joke about lung cancer or say "this post gave me cancer", I'd probably get pissed at them because my mother died of lung cancer despite not smoking one cigarette.

IMO it's just better to overall not say words like gay or ******** in a negative context because it can be easily seen as equating homosexuality or being mental ******** with negativity. Hence, Kobe Bryant got fined for it and Roy Hibbert got in rough waters for saying "no homo" in a press conference with Jason Collins making a tweet about he needed to talk to him about it.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
The ONLY reason people have to get offended by the words "gay" and "****" (in a smash context) are if they are looking past the intended context of the word. Stop with this bull**** about deeper meanings and "true" definitions of words. Anyone who is even somewhat capable of basic socialization can understand the difference between corrosively insulting or trying to hurt someone, and just using a particular vernacular.

The problem nowadays is that with the whole movement for equal rights and whatnot, a lot of people have gotten in to this whole "special snowflake" complex where they think the entire world and everyone they interact with should always be cautious not to do ANYTHING that has the slightest chance of possibly offending them. These people generally do it for attention, but not in the most deliberate sense. These people are normally somewhat downtrodden and neglected, so they find that the best way to get people to sympathize and "care" about them is to talk about how offended they are about everything. It's a fringe form of a power trip...it's nothing more than a vocal minority causing a ruckus because they can; they do it because they know that "caring" people will cave and change the way they speak and think to cater to this fringe minority.

Do it if you must, I just really don't respect the idea of censoring others. In ANY case, all you are trying to do is put yourself above them somehow. A mature, intellectual person understands vernacular for what it is and isn't needlessly and immaturely offended by casual remarks made with otherwise """"offensive"""" (I use that word lightly just to relate the idea to those who disagree with me, I personally don't understand the concept of being "offended" by things. I understand rudeness, but not offensiveness) words. A mature, intellectual person really doesn't find themselves ******** about things that are pointless to ***** about.

IMO it's just better to overall not say words like gay or ******** in a negative context because it can be easily seen as equating homosexuality or being mental ******** with negativity. Hence, Kobe Bryant got fined for it and Roy Hibbert got in rough waters for saying "no homo" in a press conference with Jason Collins making a tweet about he needed to talk to him about it.
Those things most likely happened as damage control to keep members of the vocal minority (such as yourself) from flooding hate messages and incessant ******** remarks. In our PC society, with the internet and all of its glory, the immature people who take everything as a personal insult (as if anyone cared enough to make a true personal insult like that) are given entirely too much control over these things. It is pathetic that Kobe got fined for that.

Top Bottom