• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GaW

VEC

Smash Journeyman
He has been buffed in every way, He is by far the cheapest in the game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
His turtle doesn't guarantee an instant stock loss; Dedede's chaingrab can for some characters. So we know there's at least one tactic/move that is "cheaper" so G&W can't be the "cheapest".

/thread

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
i think Falcon is cheap because he taunts me and I taunt him and then he falcon punches me

i lose everytime

Time2Brawl

Smash Cadet
I didn't play melee competitively, but I noticed DK was alot stronger. G&W was buffed in some areas, but for sure not ALL of them. :p

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
20 bucks said the original poster is just tired of getting ***** by GaW, so he came in here and *****ed...

maybe you'd be better with someone besides Luigi... :(

onemoment

Smash Rookie
I've seen too many people lose with G&W to call him cheap. I think he's a great character, but he's not overpowered or anything like that.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
G&W is great, but he isn't cheap. Priority is important, as are approach and DI. He's still really light (I think he's one of the lightest in the game...), so if you can't keep pressure on people you'll be getting knocked around quickly. Against characters with a lot of SA frames, poking is important, but aerials must be jump forward-->aerial-->fall back i.e. Wario or Jiggs so as not to be punished.

Bottom line--it takes actual thought to use G&W.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
G&W is great, but he isn't cheap. Priority is important, as are approach and DI. He's still really light (I think he's one of the lightest in the game...), so if you can't keep pressure on people you'll be getting knocked around quickly. Against characters with a lot of SA frames, poking is important, but aerials must be jump forward-->aerial-->fall back i.e. Wario or Jiggs so as not to be punished.

Bottom line--it takes actual thought to use G&W.
DI is still really important. My G&W usually lasts until around 170 against Chocobo's Ike (well...any Ike I guess). Plus the bucket can help save you if you have enough time to whip it out.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh G&W is definitely overpowered. That's one reason why I absolutely love him in Brawl. Add the fact he's just plain cool, you have the best character ever.

It's funny. Even though he's the second lightest character in the game, he actually survives a LOT longer than most characters. This is because his defensive options are amazing. This basically means he's taking damage a lot slower than most people. Which rocks because he's killing people at even lower percents than he gets killed at (D-smash anyone lol), and he doesn't get gimped because his recovery is one of the best in the game.

And dude, if I, an amateur, can pick him up for the first time and **** level 9 computers right off the bat, something is seriously wrong lol.

G&W has no real weaknesses. =O

Nato.

Smash Cadet
G&W is not cheap or broken but he is awesome at messing with people.
You just can't play normally against him. That's why he is great.

Beat

Smash Ace
DI is still really important. My G&W usually lasts until around 30 against Chocobo's Ike (well... he's exceptional). Plus the bucket can help save you still get ***** by Chocobo because he's amazing.
Fixed. Welcome to smashboards.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the neutral air is much less effective than the parachute in melee. There. one way that he isnt better...

also, hes a strong contender, and he is strong but he isnt overpowered in any way. honestly if your judging a chars. validation by how well you play them against computers for the first time, you are seriously misjudging, because that would mean, 1. you suck b/c you have trouble fighting the computer in this game, and 2. you must think snake is garbage b/c it takes more than five minutes to learn him.

seriously if a certain character ***** you it doesnt mean that char. is overpowered, it just means that you either are flat out bad at the game, which is most likely, or that the char. that you play against the supposed OP char. has a bad matchup or that you are just not good against said char. l2p and just deal with it and get better, and if that fails, be that char. and do the same thing to other ppl, b/c that will show exactly how broken said character or technique.

hey if you wana win you gotta do what it takes, right, and if your just playing for fun, you shouldnt be worrying about losing, and if you dont wana do what it takes to win, pick a different game

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
His up smash is his most **** feature, it kills at 80. I love g&w and the way i play him makes me unbeatable in my circle, and people get furious and call him broken, which he may be, but only off of skill, he is not broken in the sense that a noob will stand any chance with g&w, however, if played right he can gimp kill every time by doing combos to 80% and up smashing. try it out.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
GW v Falco set Monday. 1 dollar MM.
I would take you up on that offer, but you already owe me more than $1 from all the change I've lent you. Since you owe me money, it's pretty obvious I've already won, and you've already lost. Therefore I accepted your challenge and ***** you. Pay up.

Plus, I don't have $1 :'(
Maybe after you pay me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
the neutral air is much less effective than the parachute in melee. There. one way that he isnt better...
You are completely wrong.

http://brawlcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=17313

It's a long post, but basically the new N-air is a hax defensive option. Which is something G&W lacked in Melee. Also, it doesn't really matter when it comes to killing because his Smashes and other aerials already do the job fine.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
A2ZOMG, a few comments about your long-winded post.

You mention that B-air can kill. Well, perhaps B-air can lead to a gimp or something, but it doesn't KO (unless at extreme %s, I've never seen it happen in any competitive G&W game).
Also, you seem to mention that G&W should spam n-air. Well, it's rare in brawl, being such a defensive game, that moves that don't have long range are well spammable. Projectiles and very long range attacks have very little risk of punishment (only reflectors and other long range/projectile attacks). G&W, is almost an exception with his amazing b-air that can eat shields up and poke through them. His B-air shouldn't be spammed, just a well spaced b-air, because it is punishable if the spacing is wrong.

Anyway, n-air is mostly short range, and is punishable on the ground, so as you said, should mostly be used for opponents above him. But if your opponent is above you, and you spam n-air, typically the opponent can intercept you with a well placed d-air or similar move.

It's sort of spammable, just you have to be more careful about it, is all I'm saying.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A2ZOMG, a few comments about your long-winded post.

You mention that B-air can kill. Well, perhaps B-air can lead to a gimp or something, but it doesn't KO (unless at extreme %s, I've never seen it happen in any competitive G&W game).
Yeah, it's really rare, but that increase in knockback on the last hit can kill assuming you're not spamming the B-air lololololol. More like close to 200%, but still, that's actually stronger than a lot of aerial attacks.

Also, you seem to mention that G&W should spam n-air. Well, it's rare in brawl, being such a defensive game, that moves that don't have long range are well spammable. Projectiles and very long range attacks have very little risk of punishment (only reflectors and other long range/projectile attacks). G&W, is almost an exception with his amazing b-air that can eat shields up and poke through them. His B-air shouldn't be spammed, just a well spaced b-air, because it is punishable if the spacing is wrong.
Yeah. But you really should use the N-air a lot. The range and priority is really good not just above you, but to your sides. It's like using a sex kick, except with a huge disjointed hitbox, so it can deflect a ton of stuff. It also knocks people upwards, which I forgot to mention leads to U-air pressuring.

This move also autocancels, and pretty easily. It easily has the lowest lag of all of G&W's aerials, so you can quickly follow up with a lot of other stuff because of the really fast nature of his N-air. This move also does a lot of damage, and because it's so easy to hit with, it's a great move for recharging your kill moves if you already used them quite a bit.

But anyhow, seriously G&W doesn't have a single bad aerial attack. All of his aerials are extremely good in at least one way. And his N-air isn't an exception. It's more useful than it was in Melee.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
to the original post...someone beat you with mr. game and watch huh?

he's not by all means cheap. he is beatable like any other character. it's either you were inexperienced or...well i guess that's it right? if you kept playing that mr. game and watch, i hope by then you will learn his movements. it may be weird, but try playing mr. game and watch in training mode and see his strength and weaknesses. like they say, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." well the joining part is temporary...

he got buffed, but by all means not imbalanced.

SnaggleTooth

Smash Cadet
I've just recently picked up GaW on Brawl after faithfully playing Lucas for the first couple of months. One of his biggest advantages is his aerials, as often mentioned before. Bair is spammable and often abused, but when used by skilled players is essential. I think GaW's greatest aerial of all is his Dair though. It's priority is ridiculous, and if you watch players like Hylian or Cosmo, can be used to tech chase out of his Down Grab. Overall, I picked up GaW because of his potential, especially with his grab combos. However, if you want depth, then go with Lucas. He has the most advanced techs of any character so far

Top Bottom