• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garrett Schniepp

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet
My name's Garrett Schniepp, I'm 17, and I'm from so cal. I've been playing melee for a long time and I just want yo know how can I know if I'm good enough for high level play or not? My main is Falco, but I also use Sheik and Fox. None of my friends can even touch me in this game, so I really want to play in a tournament but I don't want to get **** on.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
The best way would be to go to a tournament, but you can know you're NOT ready for a tournament if you can't do stuff like Wavedash, L-cancel, tech roll, SHFFL, etc consistently.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
My name's Garrett Schniepp, I'm 17, and I'm from so cal. I've been playing melee for a long time and I just want yo know how can I know if I'm good enough for high level play or not? My main is Falco, but I also use Sheik and Fox. None of my friends can even touch me in this game, so I really want to play in a tournament but I don't want to get **** on.
Look at a video of high-mid level players. I can give you names. If you don't look like them you're probably "bad" but being new and bad isn't a bad thing. It's normal

dkuo

Smash Lord
not wanting to get **** on is pretty normal. but you will invariably get **** on (especially in socal) until you start playing with the competitive scene
if you dont want to get **** on *as bad* you could practice your tech skill before going to tourneys, but for the most part you'll need to train with adept people before becoming adept yourself

however! dont worry about doing well or not when going to a tourney for the first time. instead, prioritize getting to know everyone's names/making friends. join the local facebook group, start attending fests, etc. it's fun as hell and you'll learn a lot. i highly recommend it

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet
I've seen videos of lots of different players and I try to play like PP but do you think I should enter a tournament?

dkuo

Smash Lord
if you feel like it, go ahead :)
i did at my first tournament and placed dead last but i didnt expect anything else haha

by the way, keep your tag forever and never change it

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I've seen videos of lots of different players and I try to play like PP but do you think I should enter a tournament?
Definitely, if not then find some people to play with on here or on a FB group (people call that a "smash fest" but I think that sounds stupid and I call it "hey I'm coming over, lets play")

I personally think finding good people to play fairly consistently is much more important than going to tournament although you should do both

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSBMsocal/

if you have a facebook, join this group. if you don't have a facebook, make one and join this group and use your facebook only for smash if at all. this is the center hub for everyone in SoCal, and if you join, you will be able to talk with other socal players about setting up smashfests, playing at people's houses, or getting the latest info on tournaments in SoCal.

go to a tournament whenever you have time. it's understandable if you don't wanna be **** on, but i'm just gonna say it right now, you're never going to go anywhere until you've gotten **** on and once you do get **** on, you will be on the fast track to being a tremendously better player.

almost, 99.9% of socal is chill with newbies. we won't brag about how good we are or tell you how much you suck when you lose, we tell you that melee's a ****ing hard game and will tell you what you need to work on in order to get better. we welcome people of all skill levels into our community because the more people there are, the stronger the community gets

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet

if you have a facebook, join this group. if you don't have a facebook, make one and join this group and use your facebook only for smash if at all. this is the center hub for everyone in SoCal, and if you join, you will be able to talk with other socal players about setting up smashfests, playing at people's houses, or getting the latest info on tournaments in SoCal.

go to a tournament whenever you have time. it's understandable if you don't wanna be **** on, but i'm just gonna say it right now, you're never going to go anywhere until you've gotten **** on and once you do get **** on, you will be on the fast track to being a tremendously better player.

almost, 99.9% of socal is chill with newbies. we won't brag about how good we are or tell you how much you suck when you lose, we tell you that melee's a ****ing hard game and will tell you what you need to work on in order to get better. we welcome people of all skill levels into our community because the more people there are, the stronger the community gets
thanks everyone sounds cool. how do i find people to play with?

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Here's the official Q-and-A thread for Melee. General technical stuff like tech rolling is asked there. Tech rolling is basically hitting L or R right before you hit the ground while holding a direction after you've been hit or are tumbling into the ground. What this does is cause your character to roll in the direction you choose the moment you touch the ground. It has different properties from your normal roll though, so be aware of that.

If you REALLY wanna ask about Leffen, you can get away with it in the Melee Social Thread. People didn't like Leffen because he was abrasive on the boards, and had some personal issues with various members of both Swedish and international Melee communities, but I'm foggy on the details and probably shouldn't talk that much about it cuz I don't know ****.

And go ask people to play on the facebook group whenever you want lol, people will definitely be down to play if they have the time.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I used to live in SoCal, and YES you should go to tournaments. The socal melee scene is really chill, and you'll meet lots of great people there, even if you suck chode.

Here's a tip. EVERYONE gets owned their first tournament. But if you love the game and like playing people you'll get better in time.

Here's the socal melee group.

The pacwest region of swf.
http://smashboards.com/forums/pacific-west.94/

And pacwest tournament listings.
http://smashboards.com/forums/tournament-listings.51/?prefix_id=5

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
I kind of want Dr. Poopoo to be a top player just so there can be Dr Poopoo vs Dr Peepee in Grand Finals of a national.

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet
Here's the official Q-and-A thread for Melee. General technical stuff like tech rolling is asked there. Tech rolling is basically hitting L or R right before you hit the ground while holding a direction after you've been hit or are tumbling into the ground. What this does is cause your character to roll in the direction you choose the moment you touch the ground. It has different properties from your normal roll though, so be aware of that.

If you REALLY wanna ask about Leffen, you can get away with it in the Melee Social Thread. People didn't like Leffen because he was abrasive on the boards, and had some personal issues with various members of both Swedish and international Melee communities, but I'm foggy on the details and probably shouldn't talk that much about it cuz I don't know ****.

And go ask people to play on the facebook group whenever you want lol, people will definitely be down to play if they have the time.
Oh ya lop tech rolling no problem I just didn't know what it was called

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
word on the street is that PP placed like 4th at his first tournament with mario. it's possible that he's good. lets not rule it out :p

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Getting destroyed in your first tournament is a rite of passage for smashers. You can't improve properly when you're ignorant and arrogant about how good you are.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That would depend who destroys you.. In my first tourney I was already capable of beating noobs. I got like 17th after pools and 5th in teams. lol.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Naw, that can be a normal occurrence if you play enough tournament players before your actual "first tournament." It doesn't change the fact that you get **** on when you first start getting really competitive, but it does change where it happens lol

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet
I'll beat mango......nah just kidding that guys crazy good. I saw him and PP vs HBox and Kage anlt impulse last year on YouTube....that was just unfair. How is any team supposed to beat them? I bet if they teamed at apex, they could've beaten armada and m2k.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'll beat mango......nah just kidding that guys crazy good. I saw him and PP vs HBox and Kage anlt impulse last year on YouTube....that was just unfair. How is any team supposed to beat them? I bet if they teamed at apex, they could've beaten armada and m2k.
Well to be fair we did put them in losers initially, its not impossible but goddamn it's hard.

That rest.. then read downsmash to rest combo was so dirty. haha.

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet
I saw a set with you and Mango too and that was crazy. You use Ganon so well I didn't even know he could be used at that kind if level

Top Bottom