• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Bread and Butter?

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I have a question. What is the bread and butter of ganon's game? grab based combo's? I'm not too much of a Ganon player but was picking him up lately and was just curious.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
Air game
1. well spaced shffl fairs -> jab
2. shffl uairs when the opponent is above you.
3. double bairs, i.e. jump->bair ->jump -> bair (l-canceled of course.) can be donewith dair as well, much harder though.
4. shffl dair -> grab/usmash/fair

Ground game
1. use your down b wisely, and your overb sparingly.
2. reverse waveland to fsmash or down b.

Grabs
1. most characters, med - light weight, Dthrow - appropriate aerial based on DI, usually uair or bair

heavy characters cf, falco, fox.
1. u throw to downb(if they have poor teching skills) below 62+ read the DI as well as their tech.
2. uthrow ->aerial at 140+ dmg
3. dthrow -> bair @ 150+ dmg

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dthrow to dsmash kills fox and falco at around 120% and there is no way they can jump out of it (also, it's impossible to CC from the air) so it works

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Air game
1. well spaced shffl fairs -> jab
2. shffl uairs when the opponent is above you.
3. double bairs, i.e. jump->bair ->jump -> bair (l-canceled of course.) can be donewith dair as well, much harder though.
4. shffl dair -> grab/usmash/fair

Ground game
1. use your down b wisely, and your overb sparingly.
2. reverse waveland to fsmash or down b.

Grabs
1. most characters, med - light weight, Dthrow - appropriate aerial based on DI, usually uair or bair

heavy characters cf, falco, fox.
1. u throw to downb(if they have poor teching skills)
2. uthrow -> uair at 75+ dmg*
3. dthrow -> bair @ 90+ dmg*

*this is an approximation, I don't know exact dmg #s
qft. Pay attention to the air game section, as Ganon is major shffling. Also keep your opponent guessing with some good mindgames-- down-b, dash dancing (read: to actually confuse them, dont just throw it around when youre far away like far too many people do), empty short hops, and full jumped/double jumped aerials.

_clinton

Smash Master
Ganon likes bread with Butter.

I always have like his up smash, for edge guarding thou. barly anything tops a special move.

PurpleEqualsDoom

Smash Cadet
This is good stuff for me- I'm going to my first tournament in march and I'm using Ganon. Any more advice from experienced Ganon users?

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Jeezum crow, upsmash is horrible man... use uair for edgeguarding. Watch some Tipman vids for the execution but basically you want to catch people coming back onto the stage with repeated backward uairs to kill them. Very easy edgeguard, very effective kill.

MikulOnIce85

Smash Ace
Don't forget the forward tilt and jabs for his ground game, they stop shuffling, and grabs. As we all know, gannon doesn't like being grabbed. :( Also, if a >b is shielded, it's too far for gannon to be grabbed, but the forward tilt is in range.

Joe 4'Sho

Smash Cadet
i didn't read much of the thread so i'm not sure if im doing any repeating, but....L-canceling any aerial move to a neutral jab is Ganon's bread and jam. for sure

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
hahaha, tipman matches are fun to watch, but I wouldn't recommend playing like him, he's got a rediculous style mixed in with amazing techskill. I tried doing his stuff in some friendlies and I SDed a couple times, as well as got owned because I'm not tipman. if you want to be flashy, watch Renth's ganon, he manuveurs well, spaces well, and keeps it smart and simple. He's a good model to learn from, but he's not as good as the other amazing Ganon's. no offense renth, I think you are very good.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
thats impossible; can't do that because you will fall down to far and you won't make the recovery guaranteed. You just can't ledge hop a fair. But the reverse u air is a a a mazing!! I love chain grabbing and fair or stomping them out of it.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
well you can ledgehop a fair and up-b back to the ledge without dying

does anyone else find it extremely difficult to ledgehop uairs and grab onto the stage? and REAAAALLY hard to ledgehop uair and land on the stage?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
does anyone else find it extremely difficult to ledgehop uairs and grab onto the stage? and REAAAALLY hard to ledgehop uair and land on the stage?
not if you are on the ledge, tap the c-stick backwards to let go, tap the control stick up and forwards to jump onto the ledge, and then tap the c-stick up for the upair.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Not many people know it, but Ganon's aerial game isn't hard to master. If you time his air lag with peeps who just have a good ground game then you've got it made in the shade bro!

Ganon's bread & butter (yum...bread & butter) is timing your Smash attacks for people who like to evade & in 4 player matches, you usual own everybody.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
also, I found that to do the uair on to the level, you need to wait a little bit until your body is 90% over the ground or else you won't make it up. same goes with the ledgehop waveland grab. I still have dificutly getting it consistent though.

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
I agree that well spaced aerials to jabs are awesome, but I feel that doing 2 (or 3, if you read the tech-roll/roll correctly) shffl'd D-airs are REALLY awesome at getting the percentage high very quickly. Have you seen 1233's Letal Dorf? (Or is Lethal Dorf? I'm pretty sure it's Letal...anyway...) He performs multiple shffl'd D-airs against characters like Fox, Falco, and Sheik (also Pikachu), But this multiple D-air is amazing. 0-60% in three moves?!?!? Not even shffl'd F-airs can keep up with that It knocks them away too far for you to catch, and it does less damage (although with Ganondorf, everything does massive damage it seems, so I think that's a moot point). Also, if you get that last third D-air in (after their techroll/roll/get-up attack), it sets up your opponent for a F-air or B-air, which leads to edgeguard/edgehog. Or you can continue the D-air fun, but I think that's a waste of an opportunity for a kill. Try to do multi-aired d-airs (full jump the first d-air, then before you land, second jump and d-air again) for mindgames. They may want to do a shield grab because they think you'll land after the d-air, but you'll have used your double jump just to d-air them while they're open. But of course, mix your tactics up. If you use one approach too much, they'll predict you and just wait, or b-up, or u-tilt, or w/e it is they do. Or if you're only going to do a single jump try to land behind them. Even with an L-cancelled d-air, you'll probably have too much lag to jab them before they grab you.

Good luck!

Top Bottom