• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Beard - General. Social. Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Pivot Grabs have more vertical range, and less recovery time. Olis like pivot grabs. Olis jabs and tilts also beat all of Ganon's moves :\
I'm pretty positive WK still goes over pivot grabs. I just did some testing and his pivot grab doesnt grab Ganondorf during wizkick anymore than his regular grab does. If they're timed, the best Oli's tilts or jab can do is clank with WK.

Vs Olimar, I don't like wizkick...in the event he just chooses to shieldgrab. I just hope he gets baited by my midair jump and I space F-airs and N-airs perfectly. Oh yeah and Flame Choke...if you even land that, so you can D-smash them if they don't DI Up. If they're expecting you to D-smash and DI Up, well chances are they will stand up by default, so then you can Thunderstorm them (or regrab them) for funzies.
Well it's not like I spam it. But it forces the olimar to actually mix up his defense (where as normally all he has to do is u-smash or grab) and be on his toes. It actually gives ganondorf somewhat (albeit a small) mixup game. Oli has reliable options against wizkick, but they force him to completely change his game. If he realizes he needs to shield, you can use that to your advantage to get in closer. He starts taking to the air to snuff wizkick, you have your wonderful aerials. And if you have at least a decent mix up into side B, you get nasty mind games with d-smash and easy gimps with f-tilt. But it all comes down to shaking him up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm just going to say again in case it wasn't noticed earlier, fullhop U-air -> buffered N-air is almost too good for approaching. Almost.

U-air pretty much ****s up the aerial approach that they might consider doing, while buffering the N-air immediately after hits anything lower than that. And really stupid people will drop shield when they see you whiff the U-air and then get hit by the N-air afterwards. Works like a charm really.

Alternatively, you can fullhop B-air over someone's head and crossover with N-air that way if they stand still enough, and you can kinda get away with it. But really, N-air in general is just underestimated and one of Ganon's most essential aerial "approach" moves since it has good range and comes out fast.

And well-spaced F-airs are also just too good to not use. It's like Ike's F-air, with slightly less range, a slightly more strict timing window, a bit less telegraphed (it's a slightly faster move, and Ganon doesn't grunt before using it), MUCH more massive reward, and not extremely more unsafe thanks to the respectable shield pushback and high range. I think Swoops mentioned that spacing F-air is critical for Ganon, and I do recall in some of my better matches, I was spacing this move extremely well.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Clai is smart and does make great posts.

Him switching isn't being a coward, its being smart, you're the moron that goes 100% Ganon and *****es afterwards about matchups. ROB is NOT a horrible matchup. Olimar is 3x harder, and truly unwinnable, ROB can be managed.

I don't need to explain my posts cause I know I'm right, all I can tell you is to fight better Olimar's.
If you were trying to flame me, the best you could have done was make sense out of it.

I find it hilarious that you're just presuming I talk **** about match-ups, match-ups which I purposely put myself in because I obviously don't know what I have to expect.

I also rather not take or listen to opinions from someone who barely has a clue of what they talk about. If you don't discuss match-ups because you don't like "theoryfighting" then do NOT state your opinion AT ALL. You're just like some random dude walking into conversations wanting to seek attention by speaking what has already been said.

Clai, since you like talking about how manly you are; Are you manly enough to go all Ganon in tournaments? It may be smarter for you not to, but that's what's being manly is all about.

Sovereign, if you're good enough with Ganon, you should know, that you'll need skills in patience. By this I mean, having a large amount of patience while playing him AND being skillful with that patience at the same time. This is what makes a good Ganon player. You'll be surprised what "patience with skills" can bring you, cause, after all, all you need are a maximum of 10 and a minimum of 5 hits to bring your opponent to kill percent.

Superspright

Smash Lord
10 weak hits. 4-5 strong hits like fsmash, fresh dair, fresh fair, etc.

It's all good though. Most people don't understand the power of Ganon is being able to read your opponent 4-5 times in a match. That's all you need. Once you know how your opponent commits to an attack you can thwart it. Hopefully you won't get mindgamed in the process.

The smarter the opponent the harder it is to pull off.

And in defense of Ray...he doesn't play Ganon because he wants to win. He plays him because it's the manliest thing one can do.

He's not '*****ing' about the matchups, but he knows how abysmally hard they are. It must get frustrating when people try to tell you they can do crazy stuff--sure, on stupid people. Whenever I've played anyone competent enough I can't dair them 4-5 times in a row, or tipman them into a buffered wizkick off the stage into fair or something equally awesome and ridiculous.

And choke chains are pretty much...just not going to happen unless you know how to pressure very well. If people lay there, or do random stuff you are going to have a fun time 'reacting' to it.

@HomE

Smash Ace
If people lay there, or do random stuff you are going to have a fun time 'reacting' to it.
I LOVE when people get angry with my Choke follow-ups and think, "Hmmmm... maybe if i don't get up he cant keep hitting me!!!!" then i tilt my Fsmash towards the ground and let them eat some tasty purple elbow...

so yea.... let them lay on the ground after a choke, Fsmash their lazy *** off the ground and they will NEVER lay there again, guaranteed.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Well, yeah. That can work as long as you can intimidate them into thinking no matter where they roll or do they WILL get punished.

My favorite is fooling them into thinking their getup attack works against me, and then choking and doing a double hopped FF fair.

DLA did that to me in a wifi match. I loved it. Stole it ever since.

The gerudo game is all about training your opponent to react the way you want them to. If you can do that, you can demolish nearly anyone.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Sovereign, if you're good enough with Ganon, you should know, that you'll need skills in patience. By this I mean, having a large amount of patience while playing him AND being skillful with that patience at the same time. This is what makes a good Ganon player. You'll be surprised what "patience with skills" can bring you, cause, after all, all you need are a maximum of 10 and a minimum of 5 hits to bring your opponent to kill percent.
Trust me, I know. It's ironically my weakest point in this entire game. My patience for camping and overall gay play styles is very very very limited. I've been trying to train my patience, and learn to cope with things, over time. My brother is a Link main, and is a good one, actually the best in IN, if I were to ever take him to a tournament.(He can beat Legan, but it was on wi-fi, but still, he won, no johns.) I test my patience by learning to get around continuous barrages of arrows, galerangs, bombs, and a disjointed hitbox. I'll start putting up vids of our fights, so that you can see what I mean.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I used to come to the Ganon boards to chill, but I can't do that recently.

've got a lot of stress and all I have as an outlet is... Basic Brawl white Marth/Falcon ?

Someone explain to me what has happened to our lair.

Link v Ganon matchup: Good Links make it look easy from Link's end, but he's not just throwing out projectiles / swording in a random order. It's actually a very specific order 9_9 which gives Ganon a LOT of trouble, and definitely a lot of pestilence even if he gets through it all perfectly with the perfect responses and perfect timing in the end. Perfectly. Including some parts where you have to back up.

:\

I guess an advantage I have for Ganon is patience. You can gay me all day. I probably play better when being gayed. It brings into focus the one thing I have to do. I'll just stick it out, trucking you until you get bored (not usually), you mistime something (not usually), or you run out of space. Then comes the all-empowered yomi moment where I have no way to tech trap you, you know it, and it's all about guessing right.

I like guessing right.
And dying from some edgeguard combo 'cause he guessed me is... fine. I should have brutal-'ed him harder before it got to that point.

My Choke game is still balls. Haven't unlearned ye guaranteede followups; and when I do mix from the followups, I'm always trying another Choke. I mean it's apparently a habit, which is... shameful. Haven't gone for Fsmash once and certainly haven't stomped any non-scrub ever. At least I'll never forget the combos.

I could stand to review what characters can even be chased on RO (apparently Snake can't be; and you need to chase Zelda on the first frame if she ROs on hers), but... I'm kind of learning another fighter right now. :lick:

I think I've reached that point where I'm noticing universal truths and I've become better. I had a singular 'aha!' moment about punishment and skill gauging after getting ***** on Soul Calibur's online, went on Wifi, played the best Ness games I've ever seen but from FOW.

TP

Smash Master
Well, he said that if I beat him he would make me a sandwich. Then I beat him, and he made me a sandwich.

That has to be better than tourney.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Clai is smart and does make great posts.

Him switching isn't being a coward, its being smart, you're the moron that goes 100% Ganon and *****es afterwards about matchups. ROB is NOT a horrible matchup. Olimar is 3x harder, and truly unwinnable, ROB can be managed.

I don't need to explain my posts cause I know I'm right, all I can tell you is to fight better Olimar's.
Or he's like myself and the other Ganon pures who simply enjoy playing Ganondorf. I don't know Kalm very well at all, but if he's anything like me, he sticks it out with Ganondorf because he just enjoys using him.

But that's beside the point. I wanted to address the fact that ROB is a bad match-up for Ganondorf. He's big, but that's about all Ganon has going for him in the match-up. R.O.B. never has to approach and can play keep-away indefinitely. Olimar is in fact much harder for Ganon, but R.O.B. isn't great either. I'd honestly rather take on a Dedede than R.O.B.

And let's face it: Ganondorf is inherently disadvantaged. I haven't read as to whether or not Ray Kalm was outright throwing a fit about matchups, but if he wasn't, then there's not an issue. I state how bad Ganon's match-ups are all the time.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
WK goes clean over Oli's grab and d-smash. And about 4 out of 5 times it clanks with u-smash.
Only problem is wizkick gets slowed if a Pikmin is thrown in the way leaving Ganon highly punishable. I'm a wizkick addict, but even I know using wizkick against Olimar is something for very rare occasions.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm not even white :)

Internet... serious business (to some people, but not Sovereign because he's cool and can actually spell sovereign).

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I like the size of your balls, good sir.

I always forget snake stays grounded enough to space f-airs every so often. But shame on you for not just f-smasing or gerudoing his b-airs :p

Only problem is wizkick gets slowed if a Pikmin is thrown in the way leaving Ganon highly punishable. I'm a wizkick addict, but even I know using wizkick against Olimar is something for very rare occasions.
True, but it's inconsistent. Sometimes they latch on to Ganondorf's head where it doesn't do anything, and sometimes even when it's slowed it punishes Oli. Besides, pikmin on Ganon lead to fun extended hitboxes...and damage ><

@HomE

Smash Ace
DoonKoon you are not black and that insults ME as a black man!

Phan isn't calling a Mod a "white fat racist sun of *****es" enough to get this fool out of our boards?

Trolling should be left to the intelligent....

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Vex, use more N-air.

Also, I don't think you grab enough. 1:06 for example, I would have grabbed there myself. There is really no other reason to spotdodge with Ganondorf otherwise imo.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Originally Posted by Vex Kasrani View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcePFl6BBNM

Soo, i just watched that match, don't take this wrong, but you are the best worst Ganon i've seen.... let me explain..

You seem to have very good tech skills, powershielding, DI, all that jazz... but it seemed like that was your 4th match as Ganon. lots of random moves that got you punished, really poorly spaced Gerudos, spacing in general with most moves seemed to be off.... I'm not trying to be insulting, I'd say you are a better "player" then I am, but I have played Ganon since the game came out and really know him inside and out.

Thats just the impression I got... again, no offense.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master

Soo, i just watched that match, don't take this wrong, but you are the best worst Ganon i've seen.... let me explain..

You seem to have very good tech skills, powershielding, DI, all that jazz... but it seemed like that was your 4th match as Ganon. lots of random moves that got you punished, really poorly spaced Gerudos, spacing in general with most moves seemed to be off.... I'm not trying to be insulting, I'd say you are a better "player" then I am, but I have played Ganon since the game came out and really know him inside and out.

Eh, its whatever, if anything I didn't care that much if you'll take that john, I was just rushing Snake down and not caring THAT much.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Vex with the HARD johns.

I don't even know who that Snake even was.

Ah well, the two best worst Ganons are teaming for LT Teams at WHOBO :) PVeX

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Approaching from the air doesn't mean you're suppose to attack in the air. You approach from the air (ignoring all Pikmins being thrown at you and hoping Olimar has no purple ones), you then land which'll (most likely) force Olimar to use his grab which you can avoid by a quick double jump or a roll. At this point, you'll be at close range.
Why is Olimar being forced to use his grab when you land? Olimar can just put up his shield, which, combining with spotdodging if Ganon decides to use Flame Choke, beats every ground option Ganondorf has. If Ganondorf attacks, he gets shieldgrabbed (unless Ganondorf has moves that he can use on shield which can't be punished this way), if Ganondorf jumps, then Olimar can just space himself to defeat any option Ganondorf has, because Ganondorf can't hit Olimar with a rising aerial and his horizontal mobility is balls.

An Olimar isn't going to be mindgamed into anything because he can beat Ganondorf by doing nothing but waiting and reacting to whatever Ganondorf does.

Also, what does the definitive answer for Rob's BAir do? Essentially, nothing. Rob's BAir puts you in a bad position on shield or powershield. Not only is it frame disadvantage, it's also pushback, and bad positioning. Your in position for FTilt, which you'll also have to shield. You basically go back to where you started again.

If Ganon's definitive to Rob's BAir is shield, then it's not helpful to him in anyway. Rob gets the advantage of BAir on shield.
The ROB boards don't have frame advantages on shield, but since you have that data, show me the numbers. ROB's B-air starts on frame 11 and ends on frame 43 (I think it's 43, the ROB boards have conflicting numbers), so if you can prove numerically that B-air gives ROB frame advantage on shield, then that settles it.

Otherwise, whether ROB is at a positional advantage depends on where it was compared to Ganon when it uses B-air. Are we talking about really close up, like Ganon's grab range, or at the furthest spacing of ROB's B-air. I've been assuming ROB is spacing its B-air optimally because Ganondorf never wants to get really close against ROB, or any character.

Ever heard of spacing? Rob can move NAir back at the start of the move, and then go in. Ganon can't beat it in priority.
If the Ganondorf player knows that ROB he's not going to be able to hit ROB before N-air's hitbox comes out, then he's not going to challenge it. He's going to shield it and see what ROB does before attempting to hit him. ROB's N-air isn't fast enough so that ROB can use it without Ganondorf being able to react to it somehow.

I was comparing it to Olimar's Pikmin the whole time. Shielding is a bad thing if your forced to do it frequently and at such ranges. Yes it can help you out, but it gives the opponent the advantage more so then Ganon, especially if the opponent can force it at any range.

The main point is you're being put at a disadvantage at all times by having to dodge so frequently. Rob doesn't want to reach Ganon till kill percent, so I don't see how it not reaching you is bad.
So what if you're being forced to shield and dodge frequently? If you have enough time to react to each individual projectile, then it's assumed that you have successfully shielded/dodged every single one of them. Being forced to shield or dodge is only a bad thing if you either don't have enough time to react to the projectile, forcing you to dodge pre-emptively, or if the opposing character can follow up on his projectile and punish you for shielding/dodging. ROB can't do either.

It's not what Rob's projectiles can do at CQC, rather what BAir allows them to do.
ROB's B-air doesn't allow its projectiles to do anything. ROB's projectiles are slow enough that they can be avoided on reaction, and B-air does nothing to help that. Even if Ganon gets hit by B-air, all that happens is that the battle shifts back from close-range to far-range combat, where at the highest levels of play, no one has the advantage since Ganondorf can avoid all of ROB's projectiles on reaction.

Being far away puts you in danger of going off stage. You'd always want to be in the air or on platforms when Rob has a projectile in his hand. Even then, Rob can laser to hit you down.
If you're far enough away, all of ROB's options when it has a gyro in its hand can be neutralized on reaction. You want to be far enough away that you can powershield a glidetossed gyro with ease without ROB being able to punish you for shielding. Also, ROB's not going to hit you with a laser because Ganondorf can avoid lasers on reaction and if you're that far away, you're not going to make any unnecessary movements that would prevent Ganon from being able to do so.

Ganon still has to approach to hit Rob. Gyro makes his already limited options more limited.
With a projectile, Ganondorf doesn't have to approach, because he now actually has a far-range option that he can use. With glide-tossing, Ganondorf is more mobile on the ground with a projectile than without, and that alone will help him. This doesn't even include the traps that a character can now set with a projectile in hand.

And I've always wondered why you act like such a coward when it comes to using Ganon in his tougher match-ups while being, what seems like, positive.
As much as I want to win, the real reason I'm a competitive smasher is because it's fun, and when certain characters can use one option and beat EVERYTHING Ganon can do (Falco- lasers and running away with side-B, Sheik- F-tilt and chain, ICs- shieldgrabbing, Olimar- playing by reacting), the matchup goes from "HEY, it's a long-shot, but I will do everything I can to win this matchup," to "wow, this simply is not fun... at all." Granted, I've used Ganon for more matchups now than I ever have, but until we know of a way that Ganon can get around these options, then I'll start using him in those matchups as well, I'm not bothering, because even if I win, it's only because the opponent was doing it wrong.

Clai, since you like talking about how manly you are; Are you manly enough to go all Ganon in tournaments? It may be smarter for you not to, but that's what's being manly is all about.
There's a difference between being manly and being a moron. If there's any hope of me winning a match-up, regardless of the odds, I'll take the odds, but I'm smart enough to know when the odds are literally zero and generally be right. Just as I'm not going to spam Warlock Punches and Volcano Kicks because I know doing so will lead to defeat, I'm not going to fight a matchup where Ganon has zero, zilch, no chance of winning.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386

That's the case with most non-Ganon main Ganon users. I've only played a handful of true Ganon mains, but at least a billion Ganondorf users. Since on a linear scale, Ganon doesn't seem to have much to master, general abilities with him and good universal skills often mask the fact that while the Ganon is a great player, they are not the greatest of Ganons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom