• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon v Sonic

Kelkador

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pushinator
3DS FC
1118-0236-7989
I am having a lot of trouble as Ganon v Sonic. He rapidly wears down my shield, and I can't seem to get in a good position to punish. Any tips?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Your problem is that you're shielding too much. Eat the damage, Ganon can take it. Your punishment will mostly come from whiffed KO moves. This is an incredibly easy matchup if you mindgame the blue ******* well enough.

Last edited:

Kelkador

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pushinator
3DS FC
1118-0236-7989
I think you may be right, as I just noticed that I got into the habit of run-up shielding predictably. I will try to do that less from now on.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Ganon doesn't get KO'd until like 200% without gimping, so you can eat a lot of damage. Shielding is much less important than it is for other characters.

Kelkador

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pushinator
3DS FC
1118-0236-7989
Another character I have trouble with as Dorf is Duck Hunt. Any tips for that match up?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Lots of prayer.

Kelkador

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pushinator
3DS FC
1118-0236-7989
Same general thing with Rosaluma?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Last edited:

Kelkador

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pushinator
3DS FC
1118-0236-7989
Thanks for all the help, this is the first Smash where I am able to consistently play with human opponents. (Thanks to online)
Edit: So what I am getting from these videos is unlike most match-ups, you want to make sure you are the aggressor.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Thanks for all the help, this is the first Smash where I am able to consistently play with human opponents. (Thanks to online)
Edit: So what I am getting from these videos is unlike most match-ups, you want to make sure you are the aggressor.
I'd imagine so, I mean if you give them a moment to break away it'll become apparent that staying on them usually provides favorable results. Getting to them is definitely difficult though, I have a hard time reach DH safely.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's really obvious against Rosalina who just crushes you for playing safely. Luma pressure and space control is too good if you let her be on the offensive. Meaning you really, really want to be attacking Rosalina, especially if it means at minimum swatting away Luma while rushing her. Sure, she'll probably DA or F-smash you out of shield a few times, but she won't kill you really early without Luma.

Some things you should have observed against Duck Hunt are that hitting back the can to him is a viable way of contesting him, and that he can be easily edgeguarded by Ganondorf.

Granted, most of us probably aren't as good as Gungnir who makes playing aggressive look easy for Ganon. One thing though that separates his playstyle though is not only his really precise spacing, but his strong intuition for risk/reward/threat. The times he throws out big moves are never random, but even when they're punishable, he usually does them in situations where he's less likely to be punished very significantly for it.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Considering that Ganondorf is a character that can take punishment, I would not suggest shielding against Sonic's attacks until you reach the 90% range. Sonic's moves do not have good killing potential until around 90% when facing against Ganondorf.

Ganondorf's best strengths are in his tilts (all except the up tilt) when dealing with fast characters.

Just remember to be patience with fast characters and focus on tilts when attacking (except the up tilt).

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Get the hell away from him and force him to approach. Take a few hits. Ganon's best thing to do is to trade so trade a bit with his aerial moves. Choke to down tilt is also a good punish move if he doesn't tech and if he's mid distance.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Another important thing for the Sonic matchup - Wizard's Kick has priority over at least the side-B spindash, which is HUGE given how important the spindashes are for Sonic.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Uair and d-tilt are important tools for dealing with Sonic.

This is most true for Ganondorf, but a common theme in Sonic matchups.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I feel down throw, if you get it through a shield grab, is still a powerful staple combo move at low percents. That can link to a up air and pop sonic upwards, which is a plus for you.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I feel down throw, if you get it through a shield grab, is still a powerful staple combo move at low percents. That can link to a up air and pop sonic upwards, which is a plus for you.
Down throw->:wizkick ledge cancel may lead into a few follow ups, although they could probably spring out. If they don't though, maybe a ganoncide, uair, or even up special could work.

Not saying any of this is really viable, but I like to throw out all possibilities.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I don't think "not shielding" is always the right option. Obviously there are times when you should shield <90%
and to be honest let him eat some of your shield in the beginning :/ it's better than % and use this time to learn his patterns. Ganon isn't fast and being aggressive in some cases isn't the way to go. More than most of the roster calculation and habbit beating is more rewarding with him, and that's why he fits my playstle so well. I like playing against the player more than the character they choose. That being said, Sonic can combo you heavily and not do as much damage as 2-3 solid hits so people make a good point. As long as you keep your cool and punish the windows the MU isn't the worst. But a really good Sonic might not let you learn his game in the time you have, so eating % and not shielding sounds silly to me. Use everything to your advantage.

Last edited:

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
You can side b into either downtilt or f tilt extremely easily against sonic. Force him to miss an attack, and punish. Sonic should have a had time ko-ing ganon because many of ganon's moves have a longer range. Also many of sonic's attacks are very telegraphed.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Pivot Ftilt usually stops the down B for Sonic. I think Down B also cancels it out, but it's unsafe.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Punish Sonic, like others have said. The moment he misses his target you whack him. And Ganondorf whacks people hard.

Top Bottom