• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon is just like how he was in melee.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
After playing brawl for a significant amount of time ive realized that i am best with ganon. i finally understand that ganon isnt bad in this one.

for all those who have seen my previous posts, i take it back. Ganon is not terrible and unusable.

Just like in melee Ganon has alot of power and range, however hes very slow. in melee what people did to fix that is they would l cancel and wavedash/land to make him faster. because you cant do this stuff in brawl that doesn't mean hes terrible. Ganon has to simply be played smartly to be used well.

his side b can no longer be shielded. this is by far ganons greatests buff. i have come to notice that ganon's b moves are far less punishable because the overall speed of the game has decreased. his side b and down b can nearly be spammed because they dont have very much lag ending and both cannot be shield grabbed (down b must be spaced well though). retreating fair still works but you must make sure you land it because u cannot auto-cancel ganons fair at all from what ive seen. (unless of course your very high from the stage). Just like in melee you simply have to outplay your opponent and think smart when you play ganon. he was always at a disadvantage. i might be making a guide in the next 2 weeks. if you would like to see one say so in ur response.

Linguini

Smash Master
Well, I played tons of brawl yesterday.
Ganon isn't bad at all, hes actually pretty good, just like in melee, but this time around he's just too clunky and ground based for my taste.
Sigh.....he was alot funner in melee though.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I love how everyone is taking back what they said about Ganondorf...

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
Well, I played tons of brawl yesterday.
Ganon isn't bad at all, hes actually pretty good, just like in melee, but this time around he's just too clunky and ground based for my taste.
Sigh.....he was alot funner in melee though.
u just sum'ed up exactly what i said basically. and i agree with you, ganon definately was more fun in melee.

but im satisfyed with him in brawl because hes still good.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way you could make this guide in English instead of gibberish AIM speak? I honestly have difficulty taking you seriously because your typing was so hard to read. I would like to see a guide though. The more information and opinions out there about ganon, the better.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
Is there any way you could make this guide in English instead of gibberish AIM speak? I honestly have difficulty taking you seriously because your typing was so hard to read. I would like to see a guide though. The more information and opinions out there about ganon, the better.
... i typed the letter "u" once and you couldnt take me seriously... whatever

i have no problem typing everything out i just tend to use abbreviations when im in a rush to do something else or not paying full attention.

my guide will be in complete English.

DerpDerpDerp

Smash Rookie
I'll give a summation of Ganondorf in Brawl: Absolute ****.

First of all, every singly move he has is a monster. Every single tilt he has is incredibly strong, save the u-tilt, which no one used anyway. His f-tilt and his neutral standing A (I do not speak the tongue of Smash well) have more knockback than his u-air and b-air, if that helps bring light to the situation. His d-tile pops them up in the air, and while it doesn't have much knockback to it, it really helps later.

In terms of aerials, the only ones worth doing are d-air and f-air. U-Air might be good if your opponent is on the approach and you need a quick move to get it out of the way, but I rarely use it. His neutral air is alright, has some decent knockback, but has lost the follow-up-ability that the old n-air had. Overall, I'd say his air game has been nerfed, but he definitely makes up for it in terms of his other moves.

His B move is just what you think it is: takes a long time to get out, is incredibly strong, etc. His Up-B is a bit different. Like in melee, if you hit the person during the attack, you'll grab them and electrically hug them to death. The move, though, has a small attack at the end of it, so if you happen to miss with the electric hug, you can hit them with a tiny move that will get them away from your ledge for a bit. His down-B is a lot like it was before, including the spike properties it had if you do it while in the air, though the ending frames are a lot shorter and you don't get a jump out of it every time you do it, like in melee. You get two jumps in the air, and Sakurai's did his best to make sure no move provides you with an extra jump.

Now, for the piece de resistance: his side B. This is possibly the best move in his aresenal. It is fast, powerful, has great combo-ability, and barely any lag frames if you miss. I was able to do a combo that brought my human opponent up to about 75% using a combination of this move and his d-tilt, and I found that in training mode, I could get that percentage even higher on larger characters. This is your magnum opus, your alpha and omega, and everything in between. You can also suicide kill people with it if you catch them over the air, so it's hilarious at parties as well.

That's my short thing, I'm sure someone else will make a full guide complete with all of your silly smash boards terms that I don't care to memorize.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I love how everyone is taking back what they said about Ganondorf...
So true, but its definately for the better that peoples negative uncertainty that they had for weeks seems to dissolve by barely playing as him. i`m glad everyones having fun with him who`s gotten the chance to play as him =]

i think his forward b would be great against raptor happy falcons, now you can out prioritize falcons over b with ganons [at least i think theres more priority]
:D so if falcon starts a forward b that = a free forward b/combo for you. unlike melee where he`d get his raptor in and proceed to chuck your arse on the knee train express.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
So as someone who never wavedashed or l-cancelled in Melee, will I be alright with Brawl Ganondorf? Sounds to me like most complaints revolve his speed and move lag, which I've been putting-up with anyway.

What's wrong with his back aerial this time? I always found it incredibly useful in Melee because it was easier to connect with than his forward air. Also, does his down air still kill? In Melee it would send opponents into the air and to their doom.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
So as someone who never wavedashed or l-cancelled in Melee, will I be alright with Brawl Ganondorf? Sounds to me like most complaints revolve his speed and move lag, which I've been putting-up with anyway.

What's wrong with his back aerial this time? I always found it incredibly useful in Melee because it was easier to connect with than his forward air. Also, does his down air still kill? In Melee it would send opponents into the air and to their doom.
From what I've seen fair and dair are actually a bit laggier than they were in Melee non-l-canceled. For the most part though I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Dair kills faster than in Melee as far as I can tell.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
ha, thanks Serph, i was beginning to think i was the only ganondorf user who didn't usually l cancel or wavedash.
LOL... you guys are... :laugh: :laugh::lick:

Ganon's bair received what i think is a combination of a range/speed nerf. his bair can no longer hit enemies standing on the floor because the attack just doesn't reach. ive tried to wait before bairing but it takes longer to come out so u just cant do it. its still powerful but with everyones new floatyness dont expect it to kill at the old percentages.

Ganon's new killing power aerial is his up-air. its very powerful and reverse up-air still works yet doesnt exactly gimp like before. ill post all ganons new stuff when i make the guide.

I've also decided im gonna make a ganon help thread once the game comes out. initially i found ganon very hard and frustrating to use, but after playing the infamous KillOR a few times i figured out what i was doing wrong. for those who will start out like me dont quit just come to my thread and i will see what i can do.

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
ha ha ha. hey, the people i played sucked, i never really needed to learn. yeah, a guide would be pretty sweet since ganon is really different this time around.

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Well, I am glad to hear that he is not as bad as everyone was originally thinking. It will take some adjusting for the lack of L-Cancel, but I think it will pay off. Does anybody know if he can still chaingrab Fox, Falco, and Sheik to death like in Melee with his down throw?

Renth

Smash Hero
thanks for the feedback. ill get on it as soon as it comes out in america and when i have enough time. and when renth acknowledges we have the same avatar.

the last one im waiting for especially lol-a-thon.
yes we have the same avatar yay.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Well, I am glad to hear that he is not as bad as everyone was originally thinking. It will take some adjusting for the lack of L-Cancel, but I think it will pay off. Does anybody know if he can still chaingrab Fox, Falco, and Sheik to death like in Melee with his down throw?
I don't have the game but from what I've seen: don't think so. Dthrow has too much forward knockback for that sort of thing.

Kyune

Smash Rookie
Something to add for Ganon's side-b: Some characters that are hit by this move are large enough that you can hit them with an f-tilt attack immediately afterwards. This is quite important, as that ****ed tilt has some of the most ridiculous horizontal knockback in Brawl.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
Along with "Sparta kick," I've also seen it referred to as the "Leonidas kick."

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
i don't mind the none swordness much anymore, his moves are unique enough that i don't mind. sure, some of his moves are like c falcons, but he fights completely differently.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
yes we have the same avatar yay.
Finally lol. i can get a new sig now. (could sense the sarcasm).

no sir, no more ganon chaingrabbing.

i guess i'll be a ganon main again and spend three years making ganon not suck

(again)
honestly you dont have to, i was gonna do it. in fact i was aspiring to be better then you in brawl. you were my favorite ganon in melee. wen its released in the U.S we should have some matches.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Wow, Renth. I've heard the name but hadn't seen much of your Melee Ganon. Went and checked it out and Youtube and hey! Great, fast Ganon. Pretty unique from other good Dorfs I know. You make his b moves seem like downright useful ground attacks.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I still find Ganon to be balls to walls trash. If you looked at the characters and tried to figure the tiers for yourself, then, yes, Ganon is powerful, thus usable, right?

Well, the problem is, based on the steadily increasing pace of the game, he's powerful like Bowser's forward smash is. Powerful and lame.

DeDeDe, Pikmin & Olimar, MetaKnight, Mario, Luigi.

These are all top tier characters in this game. Ganon, unfortunately, doesn't come close to stacking up anymore. Unless some new tactic comes along to change the pace of aerial spam, Ganon will be the new Bowser as long as this game remains.

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
first of all, the game is overall slower. thats been determined. 2nd of all, metanight is the only dude up there who comes close to top tier. the others are good, but not great.

ike, lucario, and wolf are much more worthy of the phrase top tier than those clowns. and so is ganon.

marth marth marth

Smash Apprentice
first of all, the game is overall slower. thats been determined. 2nd of all, metanight is the only dude up there who comes close to top tier. the others are good, but not great.

ike, lucario, and wolf are much more worthy of the phrase top tier than those clowns. and so is ganon.
Metaknight is the only one, besides the game just came out, we dont know all the new techs and such, and besides that , have u seen marth?!

chaddd

Smash Lord

Dude. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ike, Wolf, and Lucario are so weak. I supposed being able to shield cancel grab you all the way across any stage isn't broken with dedede? Ike is so lame it makes me sick. I've been playing games for a long time, now, and I'm pretty sure Wolf is going to end up far from top tier. Especially with some of the chain combos I've been doing on that terrible character.

You'll see. I'm not going to say I'm going to prove you wrong, because it's not going to be me that does it. I'm just letting you know what's up with this game, and if you've seen any of the inescapable combos I've been coming up with you'd disagree about all those weak characters. The pace of the game didn't change, the players abilities to control and understand the characters movement has been slightly altered. Confusing the two could send you on your way to being a newb.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Dude. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ike, Wolf, and Lucario are so weak. I supposed being able to shield cancel grab you all the way across any stage isn't broken with dedede? Ike is so lame it makes me sick. I've been playing games for a long time, now, and I'm pretty sure Wolf is going to end up far from top tier. Especially with some of the chain combos I've been doing on that terrible character.

You'll see. I'm not going to say I'm going to prove you wrong, because it's not going to be me that does it. I'm just letting you know what's up with this game, and if you've seen any of the inescapable combos I've been coming up with you'd disagree about all those weak characters. The pace of the game didn't change, the players abilities to control and understand the characters movement has been slightly altered. Confusing the two could send you on your way to being a newb.
Weird how you're literally the only person I've seen who doesn't think that Wolf is one of the best characters in the game. This includes many of the top Melee players (i.e. awesome gamers) who have been playing Brawl for weeks. Maybe you're playing him wrong?

chaddd

Smash Lord
Weird how you're literally the only person I've seen who doesn't think that Wolf is one of the best characters in the game. This includes many of the top Melee players (i.e. awesome gamers) who have been playing Brawl for weeks. Maybe you're playing him wrong?
I just find him to be garbage compared with Fox. A lot of the combos I've found out other characters can do make wolf look like trash. His moveset is lacking except for his tilts. Besides, I have seen very little in terms of impressive when it comes to Wolf. I don't know, it may be too early for this game, but I've got a pretty good impression of this game so far. Wolf just doesn't chain or maintain range well enough to be good. You need one or the other, I thought. Zero-Deaths work almost the same as they do in melee, they just look way more devastating. With Wolf, I've seen no 0-Deaths. I dunno, maybe it is just me.

Top Bottom