• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Manager SSBB Tourney Ruleset

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
I realize the rules and regulations and such have already been posted in a thread, but this is all from a sheet given to GameStop Store Managers regarding the Brawl tournament. Think of it like a summarized version of the rules and guidelines, as well as some insight to how it is being put together. Anyway, let us begin.

TOURNAMENT GUIDELINES:

Are you ready to rumble Mario style? Super Smash Bros. Brawl is street-dated for Sunday, March 9, but your customers can try it early during your midnight launch! The best thing about Super Smash Bros. Brawl is that it has an awesome Tournament Mode that is just itching to be used. Gamestop has partnered with Nintendo to launch a massive, nation-wide in-store, tiered tournament program to commemorate the launch of this title. Here is how the program will work.

TIER ONE: MARCH 8, 2008

2500 stores wil host tournaments on launch night to celebrate the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Stores hosting midnight launches will host the Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament on Saturday night, March 8 during the early ring process.

TIER TWO: MARCH 25, 2008

Winners from the store tournaments will advance to compete in a district-wide tournament on March 15. District Managers will hand-select the best store in their district to be the host of this great event!

TIER THREE: MARCH 29, 2008

Winners from the district tournaments will advance to compete in a region-wide tourney on March 29. Regional Directors will hand-select the best store in their regions to host this awesome tournament.

FINAL ROUND: APRIL 12, 2008

Scores from the regional winners will be collected by the SSC. The top eight regional winners with the highest scores will be flown to our tournament store in San Jose, CA to compete in the national tournament on April 12, 2008.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

- Tournament Bracket/Sign-up sheets included in your Super Smash Bros. launch packet.
- Tables for the event (if needed)
- Working Wii system/kiosk
- Used/Refurb Wii systems and controllers (if hosting a large venue)
- TVs to match the number of systems you will be using for larger, multi-system tournaments. Remember that you must keep one monitor available to showcase Gamestop TV. Gamestop TV is a required marketing element.
- Extension cords/surge protectors
- An energetic and knowledgeable associate to run your event.

GENERAL RULES

- Customers must use the controllers that are provided by the store. Stores will use the Wii controller with Nunchuk to host the tournament.
- Tournaments must be organized in a bracket-style format.
- Players will be paired randomly for the opening round.
- The winer of each round will be determined by high score (number of KOs) and will move on to the next round.
- Play will continue until the last 2 players remaining compete.
- The player who wins in the final round wins the tournament.

GAME SETUP

1. Insert game disk
2. From the main menu, choose Game Mode > Tournament
3. Under tourney rules, select the number of players per match (2, 3, or 4).
4. Enter the total number of entrants participating in the tourney (up to 32 players).
5. Select time per round (we recommend 1 minute rounds) and confirm match, entrant, and time settings. Verify that tournament seedings are "random".
6. Continue to entrant settings and create detailed data for each entrant.
7. Once all data has been entered and brackets have been set, select Begin when prompted to begin the tournament.
8. This will start the tournament. As each round ends, the game will prompt you to bring in the next set of players to begin the next round.

Thanks for making Super Smash Bros. Brawl a success! Good luck with your tournament!

Alright, so that's the end of that, but also mentioned (on other sheets i didnt really read through) are Cosplay competitions, where i guess you dress up like your favorite smash character and battle it out (on the proverbial runway), as well as some other crap i didnt really pay much attention to, but its similar to the cosplay thing.
have fun!

keeper

Smash Champion
A cosplay thing? Do you have the information for that? I could out geek someone with my Rope Snake...

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Cosplay competitions
Enter the furries and their lovers...
Will there be any sort of prize/recognition for this? I'm not dressing up, just curious is all.

The rest was kind of expected. Nunchuck was a bit of a surprise (I thought it was Wiimote-only originally), but that's actually better for reasons that need not be stated. Still going though :)

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
As far as rewards in the cosplay competition, the sheet just said that prizes are to be discussed with the District Managers (these sheets were given to store managers), as well as the organization of it. I really wish i would have read it more thoroughly or written it down or something, but i can always just go back to work and check it out. I'll try to get the rest of the information (as well as the other contest information) for you guys by the end of the day.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Are we forced to use the Wiimotesideways and/or Numchuck with Wiimote, because if we are, I'm gonna see if I can use my own personal Gamecube controller. And is it going to be the random character selection or what? Because if we are (and we're using the starting roster), I'ma gonna goes for t3h D3s! (if we're using the full roster, Toon Link is ma characterz!) :)

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
Are we forced to use the Wiimotesideways and/or Numchuck with Wiimote, because if we are, I'm gonna see if I can use my own personal Gamecube controller. And is it going to be the random character selection or what? Because if we are (and we're using the starting roster), I'ma gonna goes for t3h D3s! (if we're using the full roster, Toon Link is ma characterz!) :)
It is the starting roster, they will be using a brand new copy of Brawl and a demo kiosk wii as the console, so as far as unlockables go, there will be none. Of all my mains, only DK is in the starting roster though, so i feel your pain :urg:...but anyway, no personal controllers are allowed (it specifically adressed that), and as far as i know it is wii remote/nunchuk ONLY, not wii remote on its side. Although, I could be wrong.

the656

Smash Journeyman
thanks the info I signed up for one near me a few minutes ago

And what does C and Z do on a nonchuck. I hope one is a shortcut to jump

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute, the gamestop I went to said there was going to be a Melee tournament starting at 10:00 and ending at 12:00. I'm a little confused.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
The best thing about Super Smash Bros. Brawl is that it has an awesome Tournament Mode that is just itching to be used.

2. From the main menu, choose Game Mode > Tournament
3. Under tourney rules, select the number of players per match (2, 3, or 4).
4. Enter the total number of entrants participating in the tourney (up to 32 players).
5. Select time per round (we recommend 1 minute rounds) and confirm match, entrant, and time settings. Verify that tournament seedings are "random".
6. Continue to entrant settings and create detailed data for each entrant.
7. Once all data has been entered and brackets have been set, select Begin when prompted to begin the tournament.
8. This will start the tournament. As each round ends, the game will prompt you to bring in the next set of players to begin the next round.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I can't keep a straight face reading that.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Gah, 1 minute Ko (gay), Nunchuck+wiimote instead of gamecube controller (gay), items in the matches (gay). All of these rules are so ridiculous. People who haven't played the japanese version will have to adapt to the new controller play in less than 1 minute, 1 minute ko? stock determines who's better usually. and items? I'm probably going to play some noob who picks up a pokeball and I'll have one of those god pokemon pop out and kill me in one shot. Gah, what stupid rules!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It is the starting roster, they will be using a brand new copy of Brawl and a demo kiosk wii as the console, so as far as unlockables go, there will be none. Of all my mains, only DK is in the starting roster though, so i feel your pain :urg:...but anyway, no personal controllers are allowed (it specifically adressed that), and as far as i know it is wii remote/nunchuk ONLY, not wii remote on its side. Although, I could be wrong.
K, thanks a ton! :)

Seriously, I'll bring my own Gamecube controller. Unless they think it's the h@XX0rZZ!11!11!!! :laugh:

Wiimote and Numchuck only sucks, though that control scheme is good, I suppose. Seriously, the Classic Controller is by far the worthy control scheme to try in Brawl in my opinion.

Ya, I'm playing King Dedede! :)

O, and the best thing about Brawl is the tournament mode. Although, the best thing about the tourament mode is how much it fails, and to laugh at it for failing so hard! It makes Brawl's "With Anyone" options that don't exist look good!

:laugh:

AND WHO IN MOTHER F***ING GOD'S NAME PLAYS TIME!?!?!? I've only played time like 20 times in my LIFE! I was born and raised on stock. Stock makes smash smash. Time makes smash long, boring, and based on luck in sudden death. And items...why not AT LEAST kill the random explosives, and overpowered ones. The rest are cool, like my one main, t3h bump3r511!!!1!!!!! :laugh:

And ya, my only competition will be Brentos (we should do Fox duos, Hyrule Temple, all clocks, lol! ; talkin' bout' steriotypes! :laugh:). Everyone else will be a cake walk! >_>

Seriously, it's a easy win for me, unless randomly I hear Snake's Victory Song play, and Gimpyfish comes in, or something! >_>

Fencer Hayato

Smash Rookie
tell me about it. If i could get 1 thing changed about the tourney it would be to play stock. Controller is doable, items can be really random as well as having all stages on. Even lack of using unlockable characters is ok. But time is just a pain in the ***.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
The stage is also Battlefield only.
Items are set to medium I think.
-DD

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
so wait, we dont get to pick who we play as? or am I just reading it wrong, I am probably just reading it wrong. also too bad about the nunchuck thing, but I heard it isnt all that hard to use so it shouldnt be a problem.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Dude, you can't even get a kill in one minute most of the time. That kind of messes up time mode too.

hisshouburaiken

Smash Cadet
Jesus, so much *****ing.

Any word on what the prize is for winning the first round? I think my store said it was a gift certificate or free copy of brawl or something. Minor, but worth the 5 minute drive :D

S2

Smash Lord
Jesus, so much *****ing.

Any word on what the prize is for winning the first round? I think my store said it was a gift certificate or free copy of brawl or something. Minor, but worth the 5 minute drive :D
I think it varies from store to store.

I hope my store has something good (like a free copy of Brawl), as I plan on winning.

Pi

Smash Hero
Sakurai made the game compatible for 4 types of controllers.
Sakurai RECCOMENDED that people use the gamecube remote.

What the **** man.

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
i went to my gamestop today and they are going to do a melee tourny because from what the guy said, "nintendo wont let any store allowing people to play brawl before 12 am march 9th sell nintendo games anymore." or something like that.

he also said that at the 2nd round they will probably switch to brawl (which i'm sure is how it will be).

i'm kind of disappointed about this because i don't really have any advanced techs down to be confident enough to where i think i'll win a tourny. i can barely short hop as much as i'd like to lol. i was hoping it would be brawl so it would be a more even playing field, seeing as the game is new to all of us. either way i'm gonna join it and have fun.

therafluprints

Smash Rookie
I'd been had so bad. I was told it was a Melee tournament, and GC controller were the only ones to be used. This turns my whole life around, I'm not the only one joining without having played Brawl already, I'm sure.

Vollo

Smash Rookie
havent played brawl once havent played melee in a year but played 64 last week and im still gonna win that mutha !@#$er
samus is who im using

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
The prize (at every store) is this ridiculously stupid little trophy of a wrestler guy standing in some grappling stance. It is the stupdiest thing i've ever seen, and it has a plaque that says "Local Smash Legend" or something like that. I'm not even kidding.

Top Bottom