• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GamesRadar's Who Should Be Cut for SSB4 (Hilarious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
suprised they didn't say Iceclimbers are getting cut considering they haven't been in a game since centuries ago. There is no way Sakurai is cutting 9 characters, and to say they are going to cut Marth is almost blasphemy. The recency argument is a straight up joke.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Marth, R.O.B., Lucas and Pokemon Trainer are ridiculous choices. That being said, I could see any (or all) of the other characters on that list being cut for the sake of development time - but not for any of the poorly thought out reasons they've suggested.

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
Cutting Marth after already being a character for two games is highly unlikely. Ike I can totally see being replaced by an FE: Awakening protagonist. That seems to be a two-game pattern, where Roy was cut for Ike, so maybe he is getting cut, maybe not. As for PKMN trainer, the only reason they'd use gen VI pokes would be to promote the newest series, which I would totally be able to see. I see the trainer sticking around. My largest cut choice is Lucario from that list, because he just doesn't have importance to the series anymore, just like everyone said about Zoroark NOT being a viable choice for the next game. I also feel that Subspace's characters played a decent part in cuts. Toon Link wasn't even playable, and Pit was confirmed really early after him being one of the main characters in that mode. Just my thoughts.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm the only person who thinks Wolf is safe.
I don't think we can call anybody 'safe' except for the main characters of each series. Now I'm not saying they're going to go around cutting characters here-there-and-everywhere, but the Smash team know that there's a lot of hype for Newcomers, and at the same time they know people don't like cuts - but they have a limited amount of development time and resources at their disposal whether we like it or not. So nobody is saying Wolf is going to be cut, but a sizable portion of the Brawl roster (at least 30 out of the 35) can be safely said to be "higher on the list of priorities" than Wolf, so to speak. And likewise, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Newcomers are higher on the list of priorities too, being one of the main selling points and advertising gimmicks of every new Smash title.

So Wolf, really, is anything but safe. He may not be going anywhere - heck, there's reason to suggest that with a few months more development time we may have seen Roy, Mewtwo, Doc and Dixie in Brawl (if the on-disc data is to be believed), and with a few months less development time we may have missed out on Toon Link, Wolf or Jigglypuff - but it's just not very likely that we won't get any cuts between the two games, and Wolf is one of the characters that, though loved by many, the roster could lose without taking a serious hit.

EDIT:

As for PKMN trainer, the only reason they'd use gen VI pokes would be to promote the newest series, which I would totally be able to see. I see the trainer sticking around.
I can't see them replacing Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon. Red was not put into the game to promote newer Pokemon games (FireRed and LeafGreen were already pretty old at the time), he was put in because Charizard and Red both frequently topped popularity polls, Red has appeared in every single generation of Pokemon so far, and the despite how far Pokemon has come, those three starter chains are still some of the most iconic Pokemon to exist. Replacing him with some newer Pokemon Trainer and some newer Pokemon would be a cool idea for all of about a year after SSB4's release, but they wouldn't be enduring icons like Pokemon Trainer and his critters are.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
I don't expect ROB or Marth to be cut even in the slightest. Apart from that I believe all the others have a chance to be cut, even if small.

Wolf/Falco (one of the 2), Toon Link, Lucas and Lucario are the ones with the highest chance to be cut in my own opinion.
Im curious why you feel R.O.B is so safe?

CalumG

Smash Lord
Im curious why you feel R.O.B is so safe?
One of the most important assets to Nintendo's history, is a single rep, and doesn't have others competing for his spot. By contrast, Ike and Lucario have newer more popular reps of their own franchises competing, and Toon Link/Wolf could easily be removed from the roster and still leave Zelda and Star Fox with decent representation. You remove Toon Link, Zelda is still being represented nicely - you remove R.O.B., and any representation he brought to the table is completely gone. As for Snake, I suppose people assuming he'll be removed assume so based on his lack of importance to Nintendo and the fact that there's no guarantee Third-Parties will stay for more than one game (putting Sonic at risk too, though perhaps somewhat less since he's gone Nintendo-exclusive for the next 2 years).

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I watched this video. These two are predicting who they think will be cut, not who they want to be cut. They expressed their liking for some of these characters.

Anyway, I think they might be right, if I were to predict any to be cut, on Lucario and Toon Link. I personally don't like the Pokemon Trainer, but I doubt they would replace him with another Pokemon Trainer, that's the only one I recognize. As for Marth, I don't think he's gonna get cut at all, but that's just my opinion.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about Ike/Roy and Wolf/Falco. Which ones do you think will make it, or will a new rep be introduced.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
One of the most important assets to Nintendo's history, is a single rep, and doesn't have others competing for his spot. By contrast, Ike and Lucario have newer more popular reps of their own franchises competing, and Toon Link/Wolf could easily be removed from the roster and still leave Zelda and Star Fox with decent representation. You remove Toon Link, Zelda is still being represented nicely - you remove R.O.B., and any representation he brought to the table is completely gone. As for Snake, I suppose people assuming he'll be removed assume so based on his lack of importance to Nintendo and the fact that there's no guarantee Third-Parties will stay for more than one game (putting Sonic at risk too, though perhaps somewhat less since he's gone Nintendo-exclusive for the next 2 years).

you just described why im pretty sure ROB is safe I agree with you completely on why rob is fine

Chido72

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think about Ike/Roy and Wolf/Falco. Which ones do you think will make it, or will a new rep be introduced.
If I were to choose one over the other for both, it would be Ike over Roy and Wolf over Falco. Ike because he isn't a clone and Wolf because he's much less of/ not a clone of Fox. As for the actual video:

Marth, Ike, and Rob are probably the most obvious ones to stay (however much I dislike Marth). They're important characters with unique movesets that would be (mostly) impossible to replace.

On the Pokemon side of things, PKMN Trainer is probably going to either stay as is or get new Pokemon, so he's probably staying in. As for Lucario, he's the most likely out of that list to be cut because of Mewtwo and his new form (because out of all the games represented by Smash, Pokemon, with so many characters, is the most likely to be determined by popularity.)

I'm split on Lucas; on one hand, if they manage to differentiate him and Ness enough (*cough* FINAL SMASH *cough*) he has a good chance but if they can't, one of them might be going.

Snake is another 50/50, because when you think iconic 3rd Party franchises on Nintendo consoles, MGS doesn't come to mind, though MGS3DS and his general popularity increase his chances.

Toon Link is more likely to be cut than stay, but if Link stays as slow as he was in Brawl, they might put him in as a speedy alternative again. (Though hopefully Link gets a speed buff)

Like I said above, cutting Wolf over/without Falco is unlikely due to Wolf and Fox being barely clones while Fox and Falco are half-identical, though the three staying is more likely than any of them being cut. (Again, new Final Smashes would be fantastic, like an Arwing for Falco or something.)

maxdoss

Smash Rookie
I think that most characters on this list are safe, except for Snake, Ike, and Lucario. Snake I feel was a one time thing, and the Metal Gear series hasn't been on a Nintendo console in a while. Ike will most likely get replaced by Chrom or Lucina, and Lucario will be replaced my the new Mewtwo form, or a similar type of Pokémon from the 6th gen.

Toon Link might get replaced by a similar character (Ex: Young Link to Toon Link), or kept as he is because of the remaked of Wind Waker. Pokemon Trainer's appearance might be replaced with the Gen VI male character, and have the Gen VI starter and evolutions as pokemon.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Suggesting that Marth should be cut is absolutely ridiculous. Other than that the list looks pretty much exactly how I would trim it.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree, this video is stupid.

They left out how Waluigi should replace Luigi. Luigi is so... thirty years ago. Got to keep things fresh.

Hong

The Strongest
How can anyone honestly think Marth will be cut?

Really.

He did not only appear on two games. He appeared on two games, that were both remade, and his legend spread across three lands (1&3, 2 and 13). Marth went far beyond the boundaries of Akaneia; his legacy is still present within the latest entry, Awakening, and he is referred to as the Lodestar and champion of the seven realms. The most iconic character in the entire series, with the Fire Emblem logo in Smash Bros even being that of the Falchion. The original Falchion at that, and not the recreation.

Anything is possible and no one can be sure of who is in the game beyond what has been announced, but of all the characters there... Marth would be the last one cut.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
This video was pretty stupid. The thing that bugged me the most was their pathetic logic. Their only argument was none of these guys are recent -_- They are too old...out. Honestly I'm just happy I have the top comment haha.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just throwing this out there you PeePz have already figured...

All the chars that were cut from Melee were the best choices except mewtwo should have been Falco if anything....its rather intresting i must say.....

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Would've been best if we got both Mewtwo and Falco, in my opinion.

The rest of the cuts I really didn't care about much. They were all clones. (sure Falco was one too, but he was higher priority and a better choice for Luigi-fying in Brawl than Young Link and Doc, and Roy I can live without)

Hong

The Strongest
For anyone curious, they tried to justify their claims in the latest video:

I can see where they are coming from, even if I don't always agree with it... but Birdo is a bit absurd.

RODO

Smash Ace
Why is ROB so popular? Please explain why he is even relevant. Btw, their reasoning for cutting some of the characters was not sound. "He/She is just old now." Well, if we went by how old a characters was then we'd cut 3/4th's of the roster.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
ROB is a part of Nintendo history, he came packaged with the very first NES units sold in America. Nintendo packaged ROB with the NES so as to make the NES look appealing to the American market, which was a good move considering that the entire video game market collapsed in the States a few years prior.

As far as a character in Smash, ROB brings a unique fighting style. If there are going to be cuts, the cuts will be characters with a similar style to another character. Lucas, while he plays different, might be cut because he's similar to Ness. Falco or Wolf might get cut, Ike too, for that reason, but I highly doubt that Sakuri will cut any character that has their own unique style.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
This is... just...

OKAY YOU CAN'T JUST PRETEND TO HAVE CHARISMA, IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

Also horizontal stripes make you look bigger. Learn how to wear clothes.

Sorry, I'm just a communications and speech Nazi.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For anyone curious, they tried to justify their claims in the latest video:

I can see where they are coming from, even if I don't always agree with it... but Birdo is a bit absurd.
Omg that's why they think Marth is getting kicked because of Lucina they are nincompoops there can be 3 fire emblem characters

And for stomp and post yes that's is defiantly why rob is popular and unlikely to get kicked and for other people why do you think rob is going to get kicked

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
I'd take Lucina and Marth, but I know many people wouldn't. I think Fire Emblem is big enough to have three reps. Roy and Chrom are both good choices, as long as Sakurai doesn't give them similar moves. I personally think some of Ike's sword moves should be given to Ganon. So Ike players and Ganon players would sort of merge into one. People who liked old Ganon would just play Cpt. Falcon.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Why is ROB so popular? Please explain why he is even relevant. Btw, their reasoning for cutting some of the characters was not sound. "He/She is just old now." Well, if we went by how old a characters was then we'd cut 3/4th's of the roster.
...?
Relevancy and "character is old/new" is the same thing.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dudebro Host Guy: I know Marth is *list of reasons Marth will never be cut*, but Awakening was big and Lucina has a vagina!

Other Dudebro Host Guy: Duhdede and that Knight Guy were in Brawl, so Sakurai will clearly rubberstamp any and all Kirby characters in existence into Smash! Also, Birdo!

I'm seriously hoping someone technologically savvy enough to imitate their SFX makes a parody series based on these videos. They're totally asking for it. ;)

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Once it's mentioned that Marth should be cut....I can't take this seriously in any possible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom