• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamer: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Today I'm covering Gamer, in which Smash takes a detour into Silent Hill, or perhaps a suburb. It may be odd covering this stage since I don't think anyone really expects it to be legal, but I personally like it and thus allowed myself a bit of bias in covering it over, say, Town & City.

Special thanks to @Capps and @ Piford Piford who have stepped up and done their own stage research threads in my style. Their topics are included in the Previously Covered list, which I have sorted based on the order stages were studied (more recent first), so give them a read.

Previously Covered
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Gamer does not have a consistent layout. The table has walled sides and is the same every time, but there is a different array of books, blocks, and other knickknacks every time the stage is loaded, resulting in different platform arrangements. This is similar to the Tortimer Island stage on the 3DS.

Players 1 and 2 start near the edges of the table, while Players 3 and 4 start closer to the middle. The Omega form has walled sides.

The stage only has one hazard: 5-Volt, aka Mom.

Table Objects
Unlike Tortimer Island, where the arrangement of trees and such was truly randomized, Gamer appears to have a premade list of objects. Furthermore, a given object is always located in the same spot on the table, that spot being the left, middle, or right. Some objects are large enough to take up two slots.

Most platforms created by these objects are completely standard. Wooden blocks, however, are solid, and lack grabbable ledges.

No matter what objects are present, it is important to note their size and shape, as they are key to avoiding 5-Volt. This will be explored in further detail in her own section.

Below in the spoiler tag is a collection of images meant to illustrate the possible layouts. This collection is not exhaustive, but should serve as a good sample.

Stacks of books.

An easel, books, and a yellow platform.

Books, a solid block, and a yellow platform.

Books, some sort of doll house, and a yellow platform.

A solid block with a green block on top and a yellow platform.

An easel, a solid block, and a yellow platform.

An easel and a large collection of books.

A solid block with a green block on top and a bird on what looks like some bread.

An easel and a yellow platform. Note the empty space in the middle.

An easel and a solid block. Note the empty space on the right.

A book and a yellow platform. Note the empty space on the left.

Some books, a handheld game, and a yellow platform.

5-Volt
5-Volt, aka Mom, aka "Mommy is a Silent Hill monster" frequently looks into the room to make sure the players are not Smashing past their bedtime. Needless to say, they are, and it would behoove the players to conceal this fact.

When 5-Volt looks at the stage, a visible cone of light emanates from her eyes toward the edge of the table. The exact speed varies, ranging from 5 seconds to nearly instant. As it advances, the stage is cast into high-contrast light and shadow sections to show players where they can hide. Players left in her line of sight at the moment this cone reaches the edge of the table take 20% damage, and Mario dies at 60% from center stage. Her vision will not trigger on Luma or invincibility frames, including dodge rolls, but will trigger on super armor and counterattacks, both of which perform normally. It inflicts enough shield damage to instantly shatter shields, even Shulk's in Hyper Shield mode, although power shielding negates this and leaves players unscathed as seen in this video.

Her vision extends a little bit past the edge of the stage, about 2-3 character widths. Players far offstage trying to recover are safe from 5-Volt, although players closer to the ledge are in danger. The vertical range of her vision is better, but still not absolute. In particular, one specific stage objects is high enough that players can stand on it and still be out of range.

5-Volt has seen the Wario on the table, but not the Wario standing on the green block.

5-Volt can appear in the room through any of 5 different means, although 2 are tied to objects that can be on the table. If these objects are not present, then 5-Volt is locked out of that approach method. All of her appearances are telegraphed to various degrees, but the stage will try to fake you out and telegraph "dummy" instances as well where 5-Volt doesn't show. Many of these telegraphs involve small audio cues and buildups that can be drowned out by alternate soundtracks; the "Gamer" soundtrack is best for keeping tabs on possible appearances.

For all her other bizarre abilities, 5-Volt cannot see through objects, and her gaze can only see half the table. As her cone of vision extends toward the table, the stage highlights the areas she will see. Players must hide behind clutter or flee to the part of the stage she can't see in order to avoid her notice.

As a final note, 5-Volt cannot be in two places at once, so it is possible to ignore some dummy telegraphs if she is already present.

Name|Picture|Notes
Door|
|Telegraphed by footsteps and/or the door handle shaking. 5-Volt opens the door and looks at the left side of the stage. Dummy appearances can be the cat or simply no one. 5-Volt will frequently make 2-3 appearances at the door in rapid succession, with her cone of vision increasing in speed each time.
Window|
|Telegraphed by 5-Volt walking outside. She opens the window and looks at the table, covering only the half in front of her. Sometimes she'll break through the window instead of opening it like a normal person. Dummy appearances by grandpa, who wears a wig that visibly bobs up and down as he walks. Also, he lacks breasts.
TV|
|Telegraphed by a burst of static. 5-Volt appears on the screen and leans into the room, looking at the right half of the table. Dummy appearances can be various other images.
Walk|
|A subset of her TV appearances, 5-Volt can fully emerge from the set and walk back and forth across the room with her vision active the entire time. The range is relatively narrow, but she sweeps it back and forth to cover the whole stage. What she does afterward varies, but the end result is her looking at the right side of the stage again, possibly several times. She leaves either by walking out the door while sweeping the stage with her vision again, or by leaping out the window. This process will end prematurely if 5-Volt sees someone, as her "caught" animation involves her fading away. The entire sequence is accompanied by ominous music.
Easel|
|An easel can sometimes be on stage. Normally it flips through drawings of Warioware characters, but sometimes the picture is of 5-Volt. Her drawing comes to life and looks at a small circular area directly in front of it. Although the area is small, the entire stage lights up in response as if she were looking at everything at once.
Game|
|Rarely, a handheld game device can be on the table. Normally it's turned off but occasionally it turns on to reveal Balloon Fight before the screen dissolves into static and shutting off again. 5-Volt can emerge from the game screen once it turns to static and look at the portion of the stage directly in front of the game.
Summary
  • Objects on table randomized, similar to Tortimer Island.
  • 5-Volt looks at stage, being caught does 20% damage and kills Mario at 60%.
  • 5-Volt can emerge from Door, Window, TV, Easel, or Game.
  • 5-Volt cannot see through objects and only sees half the stage at once.
  • 5-Volt's appearances are telegraphed by small audio and visual cues.
  • Audio cues can be drowned out by some music; "Gamer" track is best for playability (and atmosphere).
  • Cues are sometimes fakeouts.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
It's sad that this stage has so many good layouts, but its randomized.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This is probably my favorite stage in the game.

5-Volt is kinda lame though, but I think the bigger deal is that every transformation has at least one Cave of Life.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This is probably my favorite stage in the game.

5-Volt is kinda lame though, but I think the bigger deal is that every transformation has at least one Cave of Life.
Not true, the vast majority of objects (that is, all but 2) either have standard platform properties or don't extend into the playing area at all, and any given object is not guaranteed to appear since there are several possibilities. For example, every layout shown in 5-Volt's pictures. The first spoiler tag has a more varied collection.

EDIT: The 2 objects that are solid are also mutually exclusive since they occupy some of the same space.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Not true, the vast majority of objects (that is, all but 2) either have standard platform properties or don't extend into the playing area at all, and any given object is not guaranteed to appear since there are several possibilities. For example, every layout shown in 5-Volt's pictures. The first spoiler tag has a more varied collection.

EDIT: The 2 objects that are solid are also mutually exclusive since they occupy some of the same space.
From what I can tell, there's always at least one object that a platform correct? For example, you can't have the bird, the easel, and gameboy making the stage basically final destination right? Also are anything more common than other things. From my experience, the Giant wooden cave of life is extremely common, while I've never seen some of the objects in the analysis.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
One of the best stages in the game for me. I would have loved to see 5-Volt run right at the table to look across like she did to 9-Volt in the source game. So suspenseful.

Anyhow, I'd hope this stage isn't banned. The hazards aren't as random and you can easily avoid the gaze.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
From what I can tell, there's always at least one object that a platform correct? For example, you can't have the bird, the easel, and gameboy making the stage basically final destination right? Also are anything more common than other things. From my experience, the Giant wooden cave of life is extremely common, while I've never seen some of the objects in the analysis.
For me the rarest objects were the dollhouse (never saw it before today) and the handheld game (took ages for it to appear, only reason I knew it existed was one of the game tips). The rest seemed to all appear at relatively the same rate, but I didn't do any sort of data collection on that sort of thing.

My own experience does suggest that at least one platform object is always present, but I hesitate to say that's a hard rule. The fact that one of the three spots can simply be empty muddles it a bit.

One of the best stages in the game for me. I would have loved to see 5-Volt run right at the table to look across like she did to 9-Volt in the source game. So suspenseful.

Anyhow, I'd hope this stage isn't banned. The hazards aren't as random and you can easily avoid the gaze.
She does sometimes after she walks back and forth. One possible branch that can take is the TV going out, at which point she throws a tantrum and rushes up to the table to look. If you don't know it's coming, it's pretty surprising. (But if you do you can move out of the way well in advance.) She still looks from the back though, not the side.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
This stage is very doable if we can find out a way to at least avoid cave of life layouts.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Just to underline a detail of the stage:
The "dollhouse" is actually a reference to another minigame from Game & Wario: Shutter.
In the game you have to find some specific characters with Mona and take photos of them. The background of the game is a urban environment, with houses that look like the dollhouse of the stage.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Small update. As seen in this video, power shielding will successfully protect players from 5-Volt, although normal shields will instantly shatter. I hypothesize that she simply inflicts a large amount of shield damage, which power shielding negates.

Thanks to @madworlder for bringing this to my attention.

USA •Se7en•

Smash Rookie
NNID
KhaozPraetorian
I'm not sure if this was stated, but let it be known that at somepoints 5-Volt can come out of the TV and move across the stage with the cone of light.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
i was playing on Gamer the other day and at the window I saw something weird moving across it.
it looked like 5-volt walking, upside down, like, I saw shoes and what is normally called the bottom of a dress.
???

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
i was playing on Gamer the other day and at the window I saw something weird moving across it.
it looked like 5-volt walking, upside down, like, I saw shoes and what is normally called the bottom of a dress.
???
Yeah, she does that sometimes. I don't think it indicates anything in particular.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
One added difference between Mom and Grandpa is that Mom has a womanly figure in her silhouette and Grandpa is, understandably, flat. So if the character moving across the back doesn't have breasts you can tell it's not a threat.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
One added difference between Mom and Grandpa is that Mom has a womanly figure in her silhouette and Grandpa is, understandably, flat. So if the character moving across the back doesn't have breasts you can tell it's not a threat.
...I just looked to see if the hair was bouncing.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
...I just looked to see if the hair was bouncing.
I promise I didn't go looking for this, I was just playing on the stage and thought "hey something doesn't look quite right" and then realized the difference.

It's easier to see than if the hair's bouncing, IMO.

Top Bottom