• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube or Pro controller?

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
As someone who has only played Brawl and Project M casually, but is planning to get competitive when 4 comes out, is there any controller that will give me a definite advantage? It seems like many will continue to use the Gamecube controller, but with my notable lack of Melee experience, I think that a Wii U Pro controller will be both a more intuitive and easier to obtain option.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter?

EDIT: Found an old thread on the matter, if anyone else is interested in more opinions: http://smashboards.com/threads/gamecube-or-pro-controller-choose-your-weapon.343088/

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I know I'll be using the Pro Controller, because I'm the single person in the universe that doesn't like the GameCube controller.

Damn asymmetrical sticks.

You'd do best to just try both of them and go on which feels best.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I would say try both which of the one feels better go with that one. I would think after 3ds your mind and button layout will most similar to the Wii U Pro controller but thats just a guess. considering the buttons are in different locations.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Gamecube controller. No reason to change what I'm used to. Ultimately, it's a matter of preference, though.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
The main difference is the location of the C-stick; go with whichever options feels more intuitive for you. :) There's also the chance that there is a slight degree of lag on the pro controller, but I've never noticed any personally.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Pro controller. Feels more natural to me.

GameCube controller is overrated

D

Deleted member 245254

Wait for it...you'll get a guy who says the GameCube controller is objectively the best controller for Smash, scientifically evidenced by its superior button scheme...that's my favorite part.

In all honest though, it's a preference, use what is most comfortable to you. If you like the Wii U pro more power to you.

My concern is actually if people who don't use GC controls will be prejudiced at tournaments due to the lack of wired options aside from GC controls.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
The GameCube controller is objectively the best controller for Smash, scientifically evidenced by its superior button scheme.

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
I'm gonna go Pro Controller. The GC controller has never really clicked for me.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
As someone who has only played Brawl and Project M casually, but is planning to get competitive when 4 comes out, is there any controller that will give me a definite advantage? It seems like many will continue to use the Gamecube controller, but with my notable lack of Melee experience, I think that a Wii U Pro controller will be both a more intuitive and easier to obtain option.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter?

EDIT: Found an old thread on the matter, if anyone else is interested in more opinions: http://smashboards.com/threads/gamecube-or-pro-controller-choose-your-weapon.343088/
I actually play competitive and I use the Wii Mote and Nunchuck, it depends what works best for you. ^_^

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I personally like the Gamecube controller because I've used it for 2 Smash games so far, it'll be less expensive to buy an adapter than to buy 4 Pro Controllers, and I find it more comfortable to have the Attack button located directly under my thumb in a neutral resting position. Other controllers I find it uncomfortable to have to reach down for the Attack button. Bottom line: I'm used to the Gamecube controller's face button layout and I find it more comfortable than other controllers.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pro would be superior, since it has more buttons and triggers without springs, as long as Nintendo patches in wired support. GC would be superior if no wired pro option exists.

laces

Smash Cadet
Gamecube controller all the way. Though I might get a pro controller in the future 'cause I hear good things about it.

shapular

Smash Ace
I've been using Gamecube controller for Melee, Brawl, and PM since 2005, but I might switch to the Wii U Pro controller. I don't particularly have a reason for wanting to switch, but it's something I want to try. I got the white Gamecube controller last year but the triggers and the super long cord kind of bother me. I've always hated the Gamecube Z button too. It might be nice having an extra trigger (with all of them digital as a bonus) and I might even use the other jump button for something. On the other hand, these things are beautiful and have some of the same advantages: http://nintendotweet.tumblr.com/post/94511268163/pictures-of-the-mario-princess-peach-and-yoshi

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
GCC > Pro Controller. Regardless of preferences for button layouts (and arguably from an impartial standpoint, the GCC's C-stick location + analog rather than digital shoulder buttons make it more efficient), the Wii U Pro controller is limited by the fact that it is a wireless controller. Wireless controllers can't be used in competitive play in large tournies because of all the signal interferences, between other controllers gathered in mass, to wifi signals, radio signals, etc. GCCs aren't wireless. So they are much more viable. +Wireless signals of button inputs reach the console slower than wired signals for button inputs.

TL;DR: At home, it's all good and you could pick whichever. But don't be surprised if a good chunk of tournies start banning Wii U Pros universally, since they keep glitching out from signal interferences.

Last edited:

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
GCC > Pro Controller. Regardless of preferences for button layouts (and arguably from an impartial standpoint, the GCC's C-stick location + analog rather than digital shoulder buttons make it more efficient), the Wii U Pro controller is limited by the fact that it is a wireless controller. Wireless controllers can't be used in competitive play in large tournies because of all the signal interferences, between other controllers gathered in mass, to wifi signals, radio signals, etc. GCCs aren't wireless. So they are much more viable. +Wireless signals of button inputs reach the console slower than wired signals for button inputs.
I was in the middle of writing something similar when this post came up. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.

It's really only a big deal if you plan to ever attend any large tournaments, but it is something to keep in mind.

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I'll likely use the Pro Controller. I have four of them as it currently stands (from Mario Kart and the Super Mario 3D World games), and I wouldn't really like to buy three more GCN controllers so that guests can all use the same controller if they desire.

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
honestly the pro controller would be more convenient for me, due to the placement of my wii u and the far-ness of the couch from my wii u, but I have been thinking about legitimately trying to participate in local tourneys for smash and the gc may be the only supported option for those things :/

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
The GameCube controller is objectively the best controller for Smash, scientifically evidenced by its superior button scheme.
We can argue combat mechanics, movement options, character viability and so forth but this is not up for discussion or debate, nor will it ever be. Everyone go home and pray to your GCN controller and it's inherently perfect button layout.

/notsarcasm

Last edited:

el_profe

Smash Cadet
PDP Fight Pad for home. Wired Smash GCN for tournies (will start competitive play with Sm4sh). I have no need to buy an adaptor for my house. Wireless works fine.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Hmmm. Well I have several GC controllers myself. Probably eight or so. 4 wavebird and 4 wired. I also have a pro controller as well.

I will give the pro a go then see if I am comfortable. Really depends on the mapped and custom controller sets for the pro. I need dat c-stick!

Edit: I wonder if wavebirds will even work?

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I really like the design of the Pro Controller, but I've noticed in my playing it that it sometimes messes up on me. I don't know if something's wrong with my particular copy, but sometimes the left stick doesn't respond. =/

So that makes it pretty obvious to use the GCN controller. lol

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i'm going pro. it's newer, the sticks work smoothly, and it's a really comfortable and beautiful controller, imo. also, bored of the gcn controller and dont like the z-button or the feel of the c-stick (and if shield sensativity is gone the shoulder buttons are just too deep).

will probably buy a smash brand gcn in case many tourneys require it, but won't get an adapter myself.

I really like the design of the Pro Controller, but I've noticed in my playing it that it sometimes messes up on me. I don't know if something's wrong with my particular copy, but sometimes the left stick doesn't respond. =/

So that makes it pretty obvious to use the GCN controller. lol
for me it sometimes happens if i hold the stick in a direction during loading times. but then again my other pro controller doesnt seem to do that?

Last edited:

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I'm going for the GC controller, and btw does anyone know where I can buy the Adapter in Europe? I can only see American bundles at the moment.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'll use either the Wii U Pro or the Gamepad, although I might buy the adapter to hit the 4-controller sweetspot.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Definitely using the Gamecube controller, the Protroller is nice and all but i'm just not as use to it as the GCC.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm using the GameCube Controller and its giant handles. The Pro is tiny and I try to avoid it when I can.

I'll also probably be experimenting with an N64 controller and an arcade stick (though there's only one brand of Wii analog arcade stick in existence, and I can't find anywhere that sells it).

Last edited:

Nontoxic

Smash Cadet
I have 7 Gamecube controllers and don't want them to go to waste so I'll be using them. If I get a chance I'll try out the Pro controller.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
I'll be using both to see if there's advantages only certain controllers can provide for the first couple months, but after testing Melee with the Pro, I'll probably stick with the GC controller in the long run. Love the main analog stick the Pro provides more as the notches are not ridged which provides a very fluid and smooth feel, but the buttons and "C stick" feel too out of the way to have that immediate input like the GC provides.

Last edited:

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
I actually loved the feel of the pro controller for smash at the best buy demos. I will, however, grudgingly use the gamecube controller because it being wired makes sure that there is no lag.

How I wish there was a wired pro controller...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Uh, I don't know. I have never used the Wii U pro controller before, so maybe I try it for a moment when I get the game.

Top Bottom