• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controllers???

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
So I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Brawl is going to be pretty popular here in America. After thinking about it, I presume that most people playing Brawl are going to stick with the GCN controllers. I, for one, have gone through quite a few officially liscensed GCN controllers in my day, and am now struggling to find new/used ones that are in good shape. I was wondering (and this might be a really stupid question) if anyone thought there was a chance that Nintendo might start shipping some new GCN controllers now that the demand for them is going to increase. Then again, maybe the smash newbies will just stick with the Wiimote, and nothing will happen...

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I think you can still order platinum controllers on the Nintendo online store.

Also, be careful if you're buying a controller on e-bay. There's a lot of imposters that look like the real thing so look for the words Nintendo on the front.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I have like 5 gamecube controllers, some not even used much. I don't expect running out any time soon, lucky for me :p

SilverSmash

Smash Rookie
I thought I was missing out on something lol
I didn't see how it was hard for you to find some GCN controllers, luckily I have 2 that are still in good condition :)

Fluff

Smash Cadet
i have plenty of GCN controllers.... but im gona try to get used to the wiimote+nunchuck.. just cuz i want it to save my stats/name and stuff auto-matically.. plus i like the wiimote, but it might not work out. who knows!

Goompas

Smash Rookie
I'll probably try to find one at Gamestop. Hopefully they're not more than $10, in good condition.
The gamestop near me only sells their weird Gamestop brand Gamecube controllers, and one official new one, for the regular price of 24.95.

I bought another wireless off of Amazon for like $30. I have two wireless and two wiimotes now, so...that should be enough.

NIGAH IN UNDIES

Smash Rookie
They're still selling some GC controllers over here... and they're very cheap! Only like 8 dollars each. I bought like 6 just in case.
Ah, but yeah. I'll probably stick to the GC controllers too, but I will try out the Wii ones.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I still have a GC controller that works perfectly, but I'm going to be using the Classic Controller because everytime I use the GC controller to play games on my Wii, the Wii gets knocked over. This has happened three times so far, so I'm not using a GC controller with the Wii anymore.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
So I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Brawl is going to be pretty popular here in America. After thinking about it, I presume that most people playing Brawl are going to stick with the GCN controllers. I, for one, have gone through quite a few officially liscensed GCN controllers in my day, and am now struggling to find new/used ones that are in good shape. I was wondering (and this might be a really stupid question) if anyone thought there was a chance that Nintendo might start shipping some new GCN controllers now that the demand for them is going to increase. Then again, maybe the smash newbies will just stick with the Wiimote, and nothing will happen...
With this, the newbs will probably buy a GC controller, if they don't already have one. Getting tired of using the GC controller, doesn't strike me as very probable, might happen, but seriously doubt. The great thing about Smash, there are 4 types of control, so you don't get bored with one designated control. Oh well, I will, and probably most others, use different controls every now and then, to try different combinations and to get rid of the dreaded boredom!

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace

I still have all 5 (yes FIVE) GCN controllers. One of them's dead, one of them's too chunky for me, the other three are the basic controllers. I have so many cause I tend to carry a lot of GCN party games. Ah, but those days are long gone, so now they're just picking up dust.

I've only been keeping two GCN controllers at hand. Maybe I'll hand some away if you guys need them? (for a fee of course lol)

WALUWEEDGI420

Smash Rookie
does anyone feel like the wireless controllers have a slightly lower response time time compared with the wired ones?

2Shea

Smash Rookie
I really found it crazy of them to discontinue the Wavebird so close to Brawl's release. I know they're selling like hot-cakes on ebay now.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=801828

ebgames is still selling new ones online. Have fun.

also how did you guys manage to kill GC controllers? I mean they are made TOUGH, mine went to hell and back and lived to tell the tail, irresponsible friends, their worse little siblings, throwing, smashing, grinding, spills, everything. How could you possibly break one?
My little brother randomly lost two, and his friend's dog chewed the control stick practically right off of one. The four others have just grown old I guess; either the control stick or the C-stick or both are too loose to use. Oh, and on one of them the L-trigger randomly decided not to work.

But yeah, back to the point... I wanted a new wavebird badly when our two were KIA and MIA, both thanks to my little brother. I couldn't find any at all. I found 3 unpacked, brand new GCN wired controllers- but those were all at one store out of I believe 6 I visited. I finally found one wireless, but it was only there because they had lost the plug in. I still had mine from the messed up controller, so he just gave it to me since he wasn't technically allowed to sell it. It works fine, but I don't know if there are any new ones available, offline anyway.

I've owned 9 GCN controllers in my lifetime... and I only have 2 that work. I'm positive it's all due to Melee.

WALUWEEDGI420

Smash Rookie
I never noticed any lag at all (note I'm not talking about brawl, but using those controllers in general)

why? have you?
it may just be mental. But i always prefer to play with a wired controller. seems like it has a slight better response. may just be me though.

S2

Smash Lord
Nintendo is more likely to develop and release a classic controller that is shaped like a GC controller (ie the same shell basically) than it is to reissue GC controllers back into stores.

In fact, in Japan Nintendo already has come up with classic controllers that are Famicom/Super Famicom replicas.

Granted they are only available in Club Nintendo and no in regular stores - eventually Nintendo will figure out the cashcow of releasing every type of controller for 20 bucks (so like an SNES one, a 64 shaped one, etc) a pop.

If worse comes to worse, they always sell controllers for full price on their online store. If you want a brand new N64 controller, you could even buy them in 07 (don't know if they still sell them).

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
especially for tourneys I could understand your hesitance, they have been tested before though and I've never heard of any such lag. Still, I wouldn't blame you to sticking to the wired ones. Ironically if you're using an old wired one the reception might actually get worse because wired controllers can fail due to bad connections where as wireless ones don't have wires to fall apart.

That is only in extreme cases though, and you're right that for the most part the wired controller is the safe bet.

Top Bottom