• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Adapter?

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I'm sure many people got their hands on one of these at launch, but I failed to foresee the immense popularity of these things. Now I can't find a single one over $30 anywhere. Anyone know where to get these or when Nintendo plans on restocking them? Amazon got some today (12/15/14), but they were being sold for $120. I NEED to play with a gcc controller.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I've seen that, but I've heard the input can be laggy or not registered at all. That would be rage inducing.

alape8

Smash Rookie
My pre-order from Gamestop just shipped this morning, so it looks like Nintendo is at least still pumping them out as they can. I'd keep an eye out on other retailers for incoming batches, and definitely on the Gamestop website since they allowed pre-orders once they knew stock was coming in.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
This is pissing me off, why the hell has Nintendo not said any thing about this? I Wasn't aware that Gamestop had preorders of restock and it seems theyre the only place getting them. I refuse to play this game with that awkward ass pro controller and I rather not spend the same price on a wack third party adapter that only has one ****ing port and needs to connect with that battery consuming wiimote. Might as well pull all the Gamecube controllers from stock since their ****ing worthless without the adapter.

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Unfortunately for me, I could have gotten the Pre-Order last week but my brother couldn't remember his Power-Up Rewards credentials, thus had me waiting to pre-order. After about 25 minutes of waiting, the Pre-Orders were all gone. I know I won't wait next time they have another Pre-Order for Adapters.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I'm going to my local gamestop tonight to check on the availability. It better be soon so I don't keep getting my *** kicked online trying to use the unwieldy gamepad.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to my local gamestop tonight to check on the availability. It better be soon so I don't keep getting my *** kicked online trying to use the unwieldy gamepad.
Unwieldy gamepad? I've been winning with the gamepad. That's not to say I haven't lost, but that's because I've met someone who was better than me. It's not unwieldly, and I find it really easy to use. To each their own I guess.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Nintendo failed so much with the adapter. Me and a ton of others expected to pick one up at launch but i came right after school at 4 and they were all sold out. It's so stupid the cheapest i can find is worth 100 dollars online. I used nowinstock.net to notify me when one will be in stock but its been almost as week and nothing. Have you ever played for glory with a wii mote and nunchuck? It sucks...

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I have played around 10 FG matches with the gamepad, and I only won 4, when I should have been winning most of the time. I am so used to the gcc that I play like trash when I use anything else.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I have played around 10 FG matches with the gamepad, and I only won 4, when I should have been winning most of the time. I am so used to the gcc that I play like trash when I use anything else.
Omg same here! Hopefully nintendo will release more before Christmas...

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I haven't even got the wii u yet and I didn't know that this thing was gonna be a huge issue and sell out but god damn this is ridiculous. I allready tried to contact both Nintendo and GameStop and they have not responded since their all bunch of shady mother*****. It makes me vomit though that places like GS and Best buy still have GC controllers even though it's pointless to buy one now since you need the adapters to even use them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know! Not sure if the ports could not be integrated into the wii u or the adapter is a moneymaking scheme.
Most likely a cost reason. The Game Pad itself costs a lot on it's own for them to develop so they probably wanted to cut costs so the system wouldn't have been 400$. I think they also didn't think they'd be using Gamecube stuff again and this is just an unfortunate side effect of that.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
If only the Wii U came with GC ports. lol
Or just make a GC controler with a usb cable instead. Im surprised that in 2014 no one has come up with simple cheap Idea.

Most likely a cost reason. The Game Pad itself costs a lot on it's own for them to develop so they probably wanted to cut costs so the system wouldn't have been 400$. I think they also didn't think they'd be using Gamecube stuff again and this is just an unfortunate side effect of that.
Maybe they should stop wasting money on awful controller designs.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I know! Not sure if the ports could not be integrated into the wii u or the adapter is a moneymaking scheme.
Because the Wii U doesn't support Gamecube games (It spits out any mini discs you send in) they had no reason to support the controller. That's like expecting the XBOX 1 to feature controller ports from the first XBOX. People just don't want to use Duke to play Halo: Master Chief Collection and that's the attitude Nintendo thought people had toward Gamecube controllers.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Who ever made those GC usb adapters for PCs needs to make the same thing, but just compatible with the Wii U's usb port. Basically, a third party Wii U adapter that isnt that crap one that needs to connect with battery draining Wiimote.

rncb

Smash Rookie
NNID
realncb
I paid £55 for my adapter which is about $85-90 off Ebay.
Wondering if I shouldn't just do this myself. Even if they come out next week I'd rather not go through the stress of waiting and not knowing if their in stock and about to sell out.

ItsJoeMama

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsJoeMama
3DS FC
3179-6192-9400
I have a feeling the shortage will last until February.

Last edited:

ItsJoeMama

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsJoeMama
3DS FC
3179-6192-9400
You guys can always try the Wii U fight pad.
I personally haven't tried it since I have the adapter, but it's basically the GC controller with a few differences.
It seems like the best option for those without the adapter.
(I would post a link if I could)

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This is pissing me off, why the hell has Nintendo not said any thing about this? I Wasn't aware that Gamestop had preorders of restock and it seems theyre the only place getting them. I refuse to play this game with that awkward *** pro controller and I rather not spend the same price on a wack third party adapter that only has one ****ing port and needs to connect with that battery consuming wiimote. Might as well pull all the Gamecube controllers from stock since their ****ing worthless without the adapter.
The Pro Controller actually works perfectly fine. It took me about a day to get used to it after starting with the GC controller, but it feels great to use. I only cared about getting the GC adaptor because GC controllers are cheaper than Pro controllers.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Was it easy to get used to the different joysick locations? I can't get over the non offset c stick.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, the c stick is basically in the opposite direction from the regular buttons when compared to the GC controller. That took a bit of getting used to, but I've been using the pro controller exclusively for a few weeks now and everything has become second nature. If you can get used to using the 3DS as a controller (not sure if you have, personally), you can surely get used to this.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I was planning on getting the pro controller for other games but this Fight pad thing (the GC controller with Nintendo decal) it's a third party controller right? Is it as durable as an official Nintendo product cause I despise third party GC controllers since the ones I've gotten always broke within a week, although this was ten years ago so I hope things have changed since then.

The only things is that I'll have to put more money for extra controllers since My friends and family will want to play this and that could be resolved with a 20$ adapter. But alas Scamtendo had to pull this **** and act like their still oblivious to the hardcore smash community.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I was planning on getting the pro controller for other games but this Fight pad thing (the GC controller with Nintendo decal) it's a third party controller right? Is it as durable as an official Nintendo product cause I despise third party GC controllers since the ones I've gotten always broke within a week, although this was ten years ago so I hope things have changed since then.

The only things is that I'll have to put more money for extra controllers since My friends and family will want to play this and that could be resolved with a 20$ adapter. But alas Scamtendo had to pull this **** and act like their still oblivious to the hardcore smash community.
It's an officially licensed product. I have one and I like it. I'm considering switching to the Pro Controller though, even though I do have an adapter. It just feels so good in the hand!

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I heard the HORI Battle Pad is a better alternative than the PDP Fight Pad. I can't vouche for either one since I personally have never held either, but it seems that every reviewer likes the HORI Battle Pad more. I believe it was due to the feel and responsiveness of the controller. The PDP Fight Pad, of course, is better aesthetically. I absolutely love my Pro Controller... mostly for other games such as Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart. I do like it for Smash but the ABXY button placement is a bit low for me. I wish it had been higher. The C-Stick isn't too badly placed... my only concern is the lack of grip it has and that I find myself touching the C-Stick accidentally when playing Smash since it's a bit too close to the ABXY buttons. There is also the lack of an octagon carving where the analog stick is placed, which many have mentioned. Without one, I find myself doing miss-inputs with certain characters (Shadow Sneak accidents, Zelda/Palutena Teleport inaccuracy, etc). However, the Pro Controller seems very responsive, with little to no noticeable input latency. I recommend it as a great alternative to the GameCube Controller. Plus, it is wireless with 80 hours of battery life and it doesn't take that long to charge. It comes with a USB charging cable that you can connect to your wall if you have an adapter (Like your phone charger), laptop/computer, TV (I assume it can charge from there), and even the Wii U console. You can have it charge on your Wii U console while playing Smash, which is great since you'll never have to put down the controller.

But regardless, I'll eventually purchase the GameCube Adapter and 2 new controllers since it'll always be the definitive way of playing Smash.

Last edited:

alape8

Smash Rookie
My adapter came today, so at least we know they ARE still being made. Hopefully in larger quantities and soon!

I also have an existing order with Amazon Japan that's supposed to ship next week, think that might be an alternative for some if they're still available.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Holy bananas. NOWHERE knows when they are going to get them back in stock. I really wanted mine by christmas, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. Anyone willing to sell theirs or know when they are restocking?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Holy bananas. NOWHERE knows when they are going to get them back in stock. I really wanted mine by christmas, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. Anyone willing to sell theirs or know when they are restocking?
They're in stock nowhere. There are literally no places with a Gamecube Adapter. Called a local Gamestop, told me they wouldn't get any in until after the new year. I've been searching ballistically for this thing since the game's launch it's ridiculous.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I think I'm gonna end up getting a Hori Battle pad, seeing it is almost identical to the gcc, and pick up an adapter when it gets restocked.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I got the pro controller about a week ago, i've been playing with it a lot. If I'm being completely honest with myself, it really sucks to have the face buttons and the joystick in the wrong spot (gamecube controller format would have been preferred). The sticks are both parallel at the top of the controller, and the d pad is on the left, with the buttons on the bottom right. I have no idea why nintendo felt it would be more ergonomic/ efficient to play the games with the buttons in the position they're in, but for smashing, the stick on the right is sort of just in the way. That being said, it's waaay better than the wii u gamepad, and really the only other way to play the game people can actually get right now is the classic controller. I don't really count wii remote or wii mote+ nunchuck, because if you use the wii mote you don't have c stick or a button to jump, and if you use the wii mote+ nunchuck, you either have to grab with A+B, or not have a good button jump option, both of which are unplayable.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think I'm gonna end up getting a Hori Battle pad, seeing it is almost identical to the gcc, and pick up an adapter when it gets restocked.
This is the exact realization I came to. I'm doing the same thing.
I got the pro controller about a week ago, i've been playing with it a lot. If I'm being completely honest with myself, it really sucks to have the face buttons and the joystick in the wrong spot (gamecube controller format would have been preferred). The sticks are both parallel at the top of the controller, and the d pad is on the left, with the buttons on the bottom right. I have no idea why nintendo felt it would be more ergonomic/ efficient to play the games with the buttons in the position they're in, but for smashing, the stick on the right is sort of just in the way. That being said, it's waaay better than the wii u gamepad, and really the only other way to play the game people can actually get right now is the classic controller. I don't really count wii remote or wii mote+ nunchuck, because if you use the wii mote you don't have c stick or a button to jump, and if you use the wii mote+ nunchuck, you either have to grab with A+B, or not have a good button jump option, both of which are unplayable.
Bruh, do you even Hori Fight Pad?

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
In my country i need to wait until January, Nintendo did bad on this... :/ I wanted this for Xmas but I guess I am going to play with my 3ds xl or the gamepad as a controller...

Top Bottom