• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Theory Tackles the Super Smash Bros Series Hidden Lore

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciated this video, regardless of whether or not it is true. This has the potential to show gamers how rude we can really be to game developers who work their butts off to give us an excellent experience.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
A legit F-Zero/Fire Emblem fighting game.

Look at their designs, it could work...
I would play either of those, it could work quite well. Anyway like this theory, and the rosalina one. However i think it is a coincidence, sakurai may hate long hours occasionally, but they forgot a key factor here, sakurai wasn't making brawl originally. He asked to make it when he found out they hadn't asked him to make it, therefore this damages the theory a bit.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I love Mat and his videos are always so great.

I think a lot of people forget to think, "It's not just that there's one or two coincidences, it's that ALL of these pieces of evidence support EACH OTHER finely for the theory." which is what makes it so great for me.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I would play either of those, it could work quite well. Anyway like this theory, and the rosalina one. However i think it is a coincidence, sakurai may hate long hours occasionally, but they forgot a key factor here, sakurai wasn't making brawl originally. He asked to make it when he found out they hadn't asked him to make it, therefore this damages the theory a bit.
It depends on how far along they were with the production of BRAWL. Its possible that just early specs of the actual "fighting" and engine were done without him vs his over seeing for the "story"

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm surprised that he didn't mention anything about how Crazy Hand could also represent Sakurai's tendonitis. That could go hand-in-hand with the whole "destroying his own work" theme by saying that even his body seemed to want to destroy his creation. Also, tendonitis is something more common in older people (although there are exceptions), so that could also relate to the "growing up" theme.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm surprised that he didn't mention anything about how Crazy Hand could also represent Sakurai's tendonitis. That could go hand-in-hand with the whole "destroying his own work" theme by saying that even his body seemed to want to destroy his creation. Also, tendonitis is something more common in older people (although there are exceptions), so that could also relate to the "growing up" theme.
Also, Crazy Hand is a left hand, and Sakurai got tendonitis in his left arm while making SM4SH. But this is more of a coincidence since Crazy has been around since Melee.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It depends on how far along they were with the production of BRAWL. Its possible that just early specs of the actual "fighting" and engine were done without him vs his over seeing for the "story"
From what i remember, he didn't get put on board till like a month before the game's announcement, therefore they were quite far if true,

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Although I doubt this was intentional at the very beginning, it's possible Sakurai started thinking about doing this for Melee or even Brawl.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Whether this theory is true or not there is defiantly a fact that can't be denied, making these games is a HUGE toil for Sakurai, this has been the second time working on this series has seriously compromised his health, and in all these interviews he makes that abundantly clear that this job stresses him out more than any other, almost like it's getting to the point where he can't do it anymore.

Honestly, I think Sakurai should hand over the reigns to a new director for the franchise, not just for his own personal health, but with the direction he's taking the series I don't see what else they can do with it, SM4SH is the pinnacle of making a smash game balanced for fun players and competitive. While I love SM4SH I also don't think I'm the only one for the series return to form to Smash 64 or melee, very combo heavy game. They can still build a smash game that's competitively viable yet still have that layer of fun for the casual audience to enjoy.

As long as Sakurai is in charge he's not gonna steer it back that way, but then again this might be the last time he involves himself like this, which is sad, but necessary.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I personally wish he'll do what Brawl In The Family did one day.

End the series in a good note.

Heck, try to get Nintendo agree on it - as much as they might see it as part of losing a potential cash cow blockbuster franchise.

I personally think the reason is that Nintendo can't produce anything as good as Smash Bros aside from (arguably) Mario Kart. So I kinda wish they'd try exploring different scapes now and then, to try out new things. That's where most these masterpieces are born from today.
Smash will never end and I don't want it to end.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
In knowing Masahiro Sakurai's life as best I can through interviews and such, I believe what MatPat claims about Sakurai's life is true.
The approach to making this video probably wasn't "is there a deep connection to the creator of Smash Bros. within the games?" Instead it was probably "How is Sakurai's life expressed within Smash Bros.?"

I strongly encourage Sakurai to do something more original as a developer, particularly because of his artistic creativity, but I hope he will get excited when Nintendo approaches him for a new Smash Bros., not burdened. I for one have always appreciated his dedication to the franchise and can't imagine a new installment being on par with any past one if Sakurai was not lead developer.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
And here I was thinking the blue naked man in brawl didn't make any sense....

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sakurai is definitely against sequels, not long ago I read that he specificly said that if there was ever going to be a KI:U sequel, it wouldn't be made by him.

Man, what I'd give for him to make "StarTropics Unwinding". I wouldn't even care if it was advertised as the true last in the series because it'd be so jampacked full of content, it be the perfect finale.

Mach Rider Upriding would be pretty swell too. :D
Or Punch Out Uppercutting... Urban Champion Uptowning, Balloon Kid Uplifting, etc.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Lol stopped watching these when he started presenting incomplete evidence as "facts" to back up what he was saying

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The problem with game theory that sometime is tooooooooo exaggerated Over the top.

I saw theory like this in other videos like this one before game theory tackle on.

But I always agreed that every theory including Matpat, Smash Bros. Take place as Imaginary World of a Child or Adult thinkin about its favorite characters Duke it out for battle.

So that why Smash bros. is it OWN Timeline and BADASS crossover.
That Somehow IS FREAKING AMAZING. I hope Smash Bros. always be.

A Imaginary World of a Person.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
>Start making over generalization and point on a kids game and thinking it's secret lore

>get away with it and have shee p"Listen and believe" and make lots of money using over watered downed may-mays and professional cherry picking to make a theory, just like feminism

Well he did something that caught MY attention, get a lot of money anyone can do at a whim, and become the generic YT filler i see all the time.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
This is like seeing Jesus in clouds. It's interesting to think about and if you explain enough others might eventually see it, but we all know it isn't actually there.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
I think someone need to replace Sakurai to make the next smash. The man had spend too much time adding trophies, stages and polishing graphics.

jr22

Smash Apprentice
I saw this the other day, it was a pretty intereasting theory I have to say. Nice work, MatPat

Spazicle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spazicle
It's so stupid whenever people refer to Smash as "Sakurai's baby." As if he created Mario or Smashboards or even the platform fighter genre. Much of what makes Smash great comes from elsewhere, and Sakurai hasn't added a good, original idea to the series since Melee. It's like saying TLotR is Peter Jackson's brainchild.
smash balls, subspace emissary, omega stages, 8 player smash. Yeah, no good ideas since melee. People like you piss me off.

D

Deleted member

Conspiracy theories that are a complete waste of my time? Yum.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
May I remind you that this is just a theory?

inb4 someone screams "A GAME THEORY!!!!"
I know that, I think that in smash there isn't nothing as a story, subspace emissary is the only bit of story and I don't think that is supposed to make sense, but this is my opinion, the video is impressive that guy really searches for all minor details and that's amazing

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's so stupid whenever people refer to Smash as "Sakurai's baby." As if he created Mario or Smashboards or even the platform fighter genre. Much of what makes Smash great comes from elsewhere, and Sakurai hasn't added a good, original idea to the series since Melee. It's like saying TLotR is Peter Jackson's brainchild.
Sakurai was given the ingredients, then he laid the foundation for the game and made it into something unique with an identity of it's own. This series can be considered his brainchild because he took a bunch of gaming properties and made it work in the way he envisioned it.
You don't have to be a developer to know that a game like Smash didn't just happen with Sakurai and Iwata simply standing around. I bet you also think that skyscrapers get built by themselves.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
smash balls, subspace emissary, omega stages, 8 player smash.
SSE was dumb all around.
8-player is an obvious thing (for video games in general) that I've wanted since 64 and have seen numerous others suggest before; Sakurai's not special for doing so, too.
Everyone had already thought of having competitive versions of stages, as well, and the "Omega" interpretation of that idea is absolutely horrid.
Final Smashes are another obvious one, and while Smash Balls are original and potentially good, they yet to be implemented in such a manner.
One should find a different idol than Sakurai. He's has done some fantastic things (Meteos is possibly the best DS game), but he's only human, and Smash is much, much bigger than just him.

Sakurai was given the ingredients, then he laid the foundation for the game and made it into something unique with an identity of it's own.
I'm not saying he did nothing. Knockback growth, the recovery system, DI, even the controls themselves are all absolute genius. The problem I have is with those who treat him as the sole generating force behind the series, its content, and its success. Plenty of others could have taken over for him, and many of them I think would have been better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom