• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

game stop midnite tourney info on site.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
ahh crackers. i just called my gamestop and they said they aren't sure about their location yet since they haven't received their marketing stuff for brawl yet. gotta wait till the 25th now.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
There's only one gamestop in my county that is hosting the tournament,!:) I have a good chance of winning it. Also does anybody know what type of matches and controllers they will use? My gamestop doesn't know.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
Has anyone called GameStop's corporate office's to ask about this yet? You can get the number off their website. They have a customer support line or something. I've called it before.

S0KZ

Smash Cadet
Who's coming to the one in Eden Prairie Center in Minnesota? I'll be there for sure and I will make sure to own some face :)

JakedRooster

Smash Cadet
Hrm...I reserved my brawl at a different gamestop than the one for the tourney...I wonder if I could make it over there in time for the tourney or if it would just be a wasted effort...

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I'll be competing in my area for sure. =)

I just really hope the rules and construction of the tournament is better then what Nintendo did.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Hmmm.... It seems that the tournament is veiled in mystery....

Sorry, wanted to say that for a while.

But seriously, we need to find this stuff out. Is it a melee tournament? If it is, are there any stage bans or other tourney specifics? If it's a melee tourney, I'm screwed. Brawl (mostly) levels the playing field.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Chexr, I assume you'll be at the Roseville, MN (Rosedale Commons) GameStop? I can go to Midway or one of the ones in Woodbury, and hopefully we can all win...the first round, at least.
Yea, I'll probably be at the roseville one with Tunuva, and Aarons got work so those other two places should be all yours.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Interesting. I go to the local Gamestop at least four days a week and I've heard nothing about this. No chatter in school or among employees. No signs or advertisement. Yet our store seems to be on the list.

Very interesting. Definitely scoping this thing out.

greengoldmelo

Smash Rookie
finally a tourney in houston that i can attend...cant wait to go show my skills. i hope i can transfer my skills from melee to brawl..because ive been hearing that u shudnt really play brawl like u play melee.

I guess only time will tell

Window

Smash Rookie
Okay, just called the branch where I reserved Brawl. (Watchung, NJ). The guy I spoke to said that the March 9th tournament would be Melee, and the Brawl tournament would be on March 16th in Springfield, NJ. Is anyone else getting a report like this? Maybe I need to actually go in there with the printed out list to clear this up.

M.K

Level 55
Anyone going to the Gamestop on Walnut Street in Cary, NC next to the Red Robin and Petsmart? That's where I AM!

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
ne1 going to the Lawton OK central mall toruny? if u are prepare to be beat by me... lol but im calling them tommorow hopefully getting good details.. !

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I went again, different workers, and neither of them knew about it either. One guy said that if it were a midnight release tournament, however, it would have to be Melee, since they wouldn't be allowed to let us play the game before we buy it. But, two tries now and none of the workers have heard of it (yes, I checked, that specific Gamestop is on the list of participating locations).

Strag

Smash Cadet
My gamestop actually said it's a brawl tourney.
Same here. I called all three Gamestops in my town.

Gamestop 1:
Having tournament after midnight release, they may use demo or actual game.

Gamestop 2:
Having a Melee tournament a week before (I believe it is separate, but they said something about winner of Melee gets an action figure and top 4-8 move on to Brawl tournament).

Gamestop 3:
They have no idea, but they did allude to the Melee tournament at Gamestop 2.

From what I've gathered, all three Gamestops are having Brawl tournaments.

I haven't asked them yet about the controller setup; tried asking about the formats, but it's too early to know right now...they are in the process.

----There are about 50 people who pre-ordered the game, so if it's after midnight, then I am imagining some quick FFA rounds (Maybe 1v1s in later rounds?) with GC controllers, FFA rounds to be quicker, and GC controllers cause 4 Wii Controllers is pretty dangerous. That's just my opinion.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
GameStop is a pretty small store, how do they have tourneys in there? And are they expecting people to be good at the game the minute its released? Not everyone has a pirated Japanese copy

orintemple

Smash Lord
YES!!!!! My store is doing this. I am SOO excited. I was already bursting from Brawl and now THIS! OMFG!!!

Hopefully I shouldn't have a problem clearing my stores competition. Of course it will get heavy later on.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Just fyi, everyone, gamestop is allowed to let people play Brawl before it's released. They're just not allowed to sell it. There have been many playable demos/games prior to their actual release dates.

I can't imagine this being anything but a Brawl tournament. Besides, if it was melee they'd need to get GC controllers and wire them through the display cases or play with them open... neither of those sound right.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The gamestop near me is having a Melee tournament not a Brawl tournament. The gamestop guy told me so. Im not sure if this applies to all gamestops. But once brawl is released there will be the brawl tournament. So melee first, then brawl.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
Sweet! There is one in Michigan. I can't wait to start playing as olimar. I called and the employee told me it starts around nine till midnight for anyone wondering. I hope there are some skilled players. Even though I'd probably lose I'd learn how to play just a tiny bit better.
What part of MI are u from? I might be going to the GS in southfield plaza.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
What part of MI are u from? I might be going to the GS in southfield plaza.
Im from detroit also. Im going to the one in roseville though. Its the one closest to me. Me and my brother are pretty good so we have double the chance of winning.

MrSplitter

Smash Rookie
Is it just me or does that list have every Gamestop/EBGames in the country listed?
It has all of the ones in my area on the list which strikes me as odd due to the fact that there's an EBGames and a gamestop in the same mall both particapating... Not to mention that SSB isn't that popular around here...
I will be calling Gamestop later today to make sure this isn't some kind of mistake...
I hope it's not because I wanna go!

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
My gamestops doing it and they're located in a mall...i thought that malls didn't do midnight releases/tournaments. Anyways is the midnight release tournament part of the BIG tournament or is it just a debut tournament because it would be really unfair to have to play people that got early practice before the release of the game (through the japanese version or some other way) just to miss your chance at winning the prize because you simply didn't know how to play yet and your opponent did. Of course this won't always be the case because only a few people have the japanese version, and you'd have to be really unlucky to have someone like that at your tournament.

D

Deleted member

My gamestops doing it and they're located in a mall...i thought that malls didn't do midnight releases/tournaments. Anyways is the midnight release tournament part of the BIG tournament or is it just a debut tournament because it would be really unfair to have to play people that got early practice before the release of the game (through the japanese version or some other way) just to miss your chance at winning the prize because you simply didn't know how to play yet and your opponent did. Of course this won't always be the case because only a few people have the japanese version, and you'd have to be really unlucky to have someone like that at your tournament.
Unfortunately not everything in life can be 100% fair and it's just a fact that people need to get over.

And if a GameStop gets enough customers they will be willing to do a midnight launch because it is worth paying the mall for the additional time. My roommate was a GameStop manager at a mall store and they got so much business that they often paid security to be around for the midnight launches.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Items are allowed, right? I doubt they'll be using a competitive ruleset.

Still, I'll be entering. Sound fun. I know I won't win though.

Reckoning A16

Smash Apprentice
Just found out mine is doing it :) So me and two friend's might be participating in the Tourney, but here is my question, how are we suppose to train for the Brawl Tourney if we have never even touched the game once??
I mean you could play Melee until then but everyone who has played Brawl made it clear " This is not Melee 2.0 ", it is an entirely different game.. I would just find it funny if some lucky kid beat competitive players just because everyone has no experience playing Brawl..lol.. then the kid would get stomped in round 2 haha

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately not everything in life can be 100% fair and it's just a fact that people need to get over.

And if a GameStop gets enough customers they will be willing to do a midnight launch because it is worth paying the mall for the additional time. My roommate was a GameStop manager at a mall store and they got so much business that they often paid security to be around for the midnight launches.
Yeah perhaps your right but it won't matter if the midnight release tournament is part of the BIG tornament since everyone will be able to get some practice after the release for the next tournament. Thanks for the mall explanation.

Top Bottom