• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Practice, practice, practice. Just push yourself to do tilts and pivots and it will become second nature after applying it. Try applying it on cpus before heading to for glory

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
So I just finished, this... this thing. Its a video.

I wanted to share it, but didn't want to make a thread about it.

Looks like it actually fits in pretty good with the current discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOvlTLkh3Q

What it is, Is I have just finished playing through 24 FG matches with Every character, and I just talk about why I did it, and why my experience was.

Please take a moment to check it out.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
I've got a video of me in a local GF this past Saturday. Dunno where else to put it, as it has multiple characters. Opinions on gameplay? I'm... well, you can guess which is me. I can't post links due to not posting frequently, but if anyone would be willing to YouTube "Saturday Scuffles", it's the set betweenSsuperDavio and Toxxicri. Any advice would be immensely appreciated!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've got a video of me in a local GF this past Saturday. Dunno where else to put it, as it has multiple characters. Opinions on gameplay? I'm... well, you can guess which is me. I can't post links due to not posting frequently, but if anyone would be willing to YouTube "Saturday Scuffles", it's the set betweenSsuperDavio and Toxxicri. Any advice would be immensely appreciated!
You'd be better off posting it in each and every character board for the characters you want to be critiqued on, most boards have a designated "critique my video" thread.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
You'd be better off posting it in each and every character board for the characters you want to be critiqued on, most boards have a designated "critique my video" thread.
Yeah, I guess doing that with time stamps would be the most effective way. Thanks!

Heleno

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helenopaiva
3DS FC
4914-4744-1262
I can now beat one lvl9 CPU, or 2x1 against two lvl 8 CPUs.
However, this is not quite useful when it comes to playing against a human player.
I went to my first local tournament and i was kinda wrecked by the other players.
I can go online and play for glory - but it takes dozens of games to find some good player - and then again it takes even more matches to have an acceptable level of lag. Amiibos are not that helpful either - i tried mario and yoshi amiibo, and it was not so tough to beat...
Training mode is ok to get a first grasp on a new char - to try some advanced techniques, to practice some edge defense... but that's quite limited - specially when playing alone.
So - i'm sitting on this position now where the CPU doesn't offer much challenge now, and i can't play decent online matches. i depend upon meetings (that happen every once in a month if i am lucky to be able to attend them!) to improve my skills. I noticed i dodge improperly, and am working on it, spacing and zoning are quite tricky, but i think i am improving...
I want to ask you guys how do you train? there must be something cool i could do to improve my skills!
So the big question is:
HOW DO YOU GUYS TRAIN? what are the good exercises? what could i do to improve technically?
All feedback would be appreciated, and i apologize anticipatedly if my post belongs elsewhere.
Cheers!
--please don't get upset with my pool - it is just a joke. ;-)

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I contribute my skill to for glory. In Wisconsin there isn't a big smash scene and the closest tourneys are 2-3 hours away so I haven't gone to any yet, but whenever I can I play for glory to battle other actual people (not cpus) to actually see different playstyles and how to adapt to them.

The only drawback in for glory is that it is only final destination stages, meaning you won't be used to platforms when you go to tournaments or play with friends on Battlefield or Smashville or something. So to be used to platforms and adapt to real people, play Wii U friends online and play on platform stages or physically go to tournaments. I will always be willing to be a practice partner.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
go on anthers ladder. You can do matchmaking and usually play people dedicated to getting better or are better than you.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Training mode is a cornerstone for fighting games. Perfecting combos and frametraps are essential. You could spend a couple of hours learning necessary combos in a game, go online, and become a good player very quickly. However, Smash isn't about combos, you can't "dummy record" an opponent to do what you want them to do, and your settings are limited.

When you play the Smash 4 Training Mode, what are you looking for? I mainly used it to poke max-ranges for attacks and used it for edge-guarding options. I spent a little time in there to improve, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth looking for.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
For glory is helpful to get aware of your own bad habits and getting better at reading opponents.
But overall, it's just a training ground, results on it often won't show your actual skill.

So I try to combine FG and Training Mode, just to get aware of the actual timings of stuff.

Mega Rayquaza

Smash Rookie
Practicing techniques/combos/what have you until they're basically muscle memory. Helps if you do drills too (50 of something consecutively and messing up means you have to start over).

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I feel like there is always ONE THING about Smash training rooms that prevents it from being a good training room instead of a useful, but don't always count on it type training room.

Melee it was in 1p mode, so you couldn't integrate C-stick into your combos, which you're likely to do in a real setting. Not a deal breaker, but it would definitely help with practicing muscle memory.

Brawl's was...I can't remember.

And now with Stale Moves, you can't reliably practice combos unless they don't include two of the same attack (which let's face it, are a lot less common than consecutive attack combos). I just wish there was a Stale move toggle in Training Mode. Usually if I really want to practice combos I'll go to FD with a second controller plugged in and 99 stocks. But the Hyperbolic Time Chamber-like Training Room is useful for controlling your environment and number of attempts.

Estryark

Smash Rookie
I've been playing more and focusing on using the thumbstick for tilts and smash attack on cstick which helps me for doing pivot smash attacks...it's getting better, I am doing less dash attacks by mistake. Now it's just the smash attack when trying to do tilts but I am confident that it will fix itself with time.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
go on anthers ladder. You can do matchmaking and usually play people dedicated to getting better or are better than you.
I didn't know about anthers ladder until going on smashboards so I can't wait to try it out. Is it easy to get matches with players at your skill level?

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I've been playing more and focusing on using the thumbstick for tilts and smash attack on cstick which helps me for doing pivot smash attacks...it's getting better, I am doing less dash attacks by mistake. Now it's just the smash attack when trying to do tilts but I am confident that it will fix itself with time.
Yeah the c-stick is a huge help with smash attacks, its just easier and you know for sure you're doing the right move, when using the a button to smash you might accidently do a tilt or dash attack

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Hi, I was going to make a thread about "Smash 4 strategies/Playstyle discussion" Where we could talk about aggressive, defensive, passive aggressiveness and aspects about them, and just talk about things you could do to pressure your opponent, or things you can do to zone out your opponent and stuff like that. Like just strategies that would be effective for the play style,Would this be too similar to this thread/not good enough

Last edited:

Heleno

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helenopaiva
3DS FC
4914-4744-1262
I'll look for that anthers ladder. because for glory is somewhat like this:

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just need some quick advice. In a few days I'm about to enter my first tournament. It'll be doubles for smash 4. I've never been to a live tournament so any tips, advice, etiquette from you tourney regulars would help a lot. Thanks!

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
The lack of rage testing makes testing kinda suck. 1v1 against level 8/9 CPUs is the way to go. I practice against the most annoying and intelligent CPU characters. In my experience so far, Link and Megaman are two of them. Marth was great in Brawl as a cpu but in Smash 4 he Up Bs on stage too often and is far too easy to fight. Link and Megaman are predictable, but they are super annoying and they provide a good way to get used to projectile spam.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Hey guys, just need some quick advice. In a few days I'm about to enter my first tournament. It'll be doubles for smash 4. I've never been to a live tournament so any tips, advice, etiquette from you tourney regulars would help a lot. Thanks!
I don't have any tips for ya but good luck regardless! :happysheep:

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Just play and have fun. Treat it like For Glory, and respect your fellow Smasher, and do your best. :)

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
The lack of rage testing makes testing kinda suck. 1v1 against level 8/9 CPUs is the way to go. I practice against the most annoying and intelligent CPU characters. In my experience so far, Link and Megaman are two of them. Marth was great in Brawl as a cpu but in Smash 4 he Up Bs on stage too often and is far too easy to fight. Link and Megaman are predictable, but they are super annoying and they provide a good way to get used to projectile spam.
What do you mean rage testing? Is rage not present in training mode?

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Last weekend I qualified for a top 16 tournament out of 4 qualifiers, which is cool, but I was devastated after losing both sets and getting last. Idk why but it hit me hard, I was close to crying, seriously. After that, I went home to play on SmashLadder.com, and lost 5 friendlies in a row and a couple ranked. Ever since then (Sunday) I have been playing terribly. I am losing to players I know i should beat, and I have low confidence and idk how to fix it. I don't feel confident to go to a tournament or play a ranked match on Smash Ladder. PLEASE HELP. I need some hope, I don't know what's going on. Any stories of your experience with a slump, or advice, is helpful

(Mods I know this shouldn't be a thread and Im sorry but I'm desperate for help)

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Sometimes it's good to take a break and come back with a fresh mind. If you don't think that'll help, try to get your mind on something else in the mean time (Watch a show, Play a different game, etc) and then come back to it.

I've had this issue too and it REALLY sucks. Just gotta keep going.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
This is something I've been thinking about as well, that mental game that lasts for several days if not longer.

The best advice I can give is to take a break from pvp. Maybe play with a computer or even some friends, but don't let yourself Become emotionally invested. Remind yourself that this is a game and should be fun, and if youre not having fun, you shouldn't play.

The slump will wear off soon, but until then, take it easy.

What I want to know is how you deal with a slump when you've got a tournament the next day and taking a break isn't an option. I was forced to use completely different characters than I trained with because I suddenly had no mix ups right before my last tournament, and it lead to me losing in a very frustrating way

Last edited:

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
playing online won't help
go to your main's boards
watch videos of players using the techniques youve learned while in the boards
watch videos of the top players who use your character
practice the moves on training mode
fight vs people in real life (online + lag = screwed up learnt techniques) or maybe even cpus (cpus is meh training)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I stopped playing for 2 (from 3DS to Wii U) and came over to a very different game. I started losing to people I would beat very easily before and the same thing that happened to you started happening to me, I started losing to people I had already beaten because my self-confidence was low and I thought I couldn't do anything anymore.

What helped me out was just playing bots, I know, it's not good practice but I didn't do it for practice. I started doing challenges, unlocking customs, etc. Just focused on having fun and not paying much attention to what I was doing. Once I was bored with that I started playing online for fun with the same mindset I had from playing solo and I started destroying everyone, which eventually allowed my self-confidence in my skill to build again. After that I finally started playing seriously again and I feel like I am playing much better after doing all of the above.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Stop playing for a day or two. It really does help. I find it really helps you break bad habits.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Good to hear. I'm just gonna play some Metroid, and other games until Saturday or so
Make sure to do other non game related stuff as well! Read a book or ride a bike. I notice a lot of people in the smash community don't engage in intellectual or enriching activities. Best way to get over a slump is to do something completely different.

anaglyphix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glyph
3DS FC
3669-0309-2018
When I think downloading, I mean putting an opponent in a situation with limited options, seeing what they do, then punishing/reading it when they do it again. However, in a broader sense, downloading can also mean learning an opponents playstyle in general throughout a match or set, and learning how to punish their habits. So what I want to know is, does anyone have any tips for downloading your opponent?

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Make sure to do other non game related stuff as well! Read a book or ride a bike. I notice a lot of people in the smash community don't engage in intellectual or enriching activities. Best way to get over a slump is to do something completely different.
Yeah that's true, I am in strength training at my school so I do get exercise if thats the concern lol, I used to play sports but got out of it.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Yeah that's true, I am in strength training at my school so I do get exercise if thats the concern lol, I used to play sports but got out of it.
haha no, man don't get me wrong. I wasn't implying you needed exercise. I was just suggesting that people need variety in their lives. I just happened to use a few physical activities as examples. Anything will do really, just go explore.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Its literally just watching your opponent throughout the match and taking mental notes in your head about the person. What moves do they use most often, how do they recover from the stage, do they roll a lot, do they grab a lot (most diddys), and whatever else is punishable. This just comes with practice and playing as many other people as you can to see many different playstyles. You're not gonna find that against cpus so go on for glory or at tournaments to practice that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom