• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Footstool "Combo"

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I really didn't want to make a new thread about this, but I didn't want to disturb the (dis)organized discussion going on in other threads. I also have never seen this discussed and I figure that it'd be pretty useful in the future, especially if we could get more and better testers on it as well as more reliable opponents to test on. So here goes:

I was trying to get a jab lock combo with G&W (before Neb pointed out that jab forces the opponent to stand) and I went about it in a similar way that Falco sets up laser locks and Kirby sets up his jab lock: through footstools. I tested on a CPU Wolf and as far as jab locking goes, it failed pretty miserably. But the testing didn't go in vain. I discovered that around 25-30% on Wolf, I could do Utilt > footstool > fast falled aerial. Dair, Bair, and Nair all sort of worked the same in that they had a lot of knock back. At the time, I was trying to see which one linked into jab so I didn't test those any further, but I suspect that they'll have some uses.

The Fair worked a lot better as far as combo-wise. A lot of the times my Fair was too slow and the computer was able to avoid it by rolling. Other times I hit with it, but it landed too soon and had the landing lag. However, on a few occassions, I hit with the very end of the Fair so that I didn't have the landing lag and I hit soon enough to where the computer was unable to roll. This lead nicely into jab which forced the opponent to stand up to where you could follow that up with a couple of things. Dthrow comes to mind. I think Chef worked once. The Fair doesn't even have to be followed with a jab. Any move that comes out quick enough would work, like a Dtilt for example.

Anyway, I'd like to develop this a little more, but I'd also like the rest of the community to try it out as well. Perhaps you'll find a flaw. Or perhaps you'll put it to better use. I think in the end it's just good to know.

Neb

Smash Lord
Cool, I'll test some stuff out tomorrow, technically it is tomorrow, but you get the point.
I knew soft fair kept them in hitstun while they where laid out against the floor, but the lag that came with it made it hard to combo into. Maybe we could work around jab so that having the opponent stand up is key to the combo.
I also tried a pseudo laser lock, but with chef, eggghh, that was a no-go.

I dunno, but good testing.
We'll need a footstool combo with all the others being made.
Thanks for contributing Hawks.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Yeah. I tried it again against a level 9 computer and they were able to air dodge out of the Utilt, though not every time. I don't think a human would be able air dodge every time either, so it'd be good to attempt it considering it's pretty safe. You should be able to footstool them before they are able to attack and there's not enough knock back from Utilt at low percentages to DI out the way. The only real option to avoid it would be to air dodge.

I tried following the foot stool with a Dair that was just off to the side of the opponent so that they were knocked up and diagonally a little. I was able to follow that up with a grab, though sometimes the computer DI'd behind me and I ran the wrong way. And it looked like the computer was in an animation in which it couldn't do anything other than DI (the same animation as the one from Falco's chain grab).

I think after further testing it could come in handy in situational moments at best, but it's worth seeing what we can learn from it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
...because there's already a real, very official name for it

assuming that you're already conceding that you aren't calling it 'toadstool' by mistake (which plenty of people do), then you're just one of those people that has to rename everything, which is just a huge pet peeve of mine :( (hyphen smash! dlx hit cancel! sponge bob square pants reverse cancelled aerial dash!)

Neb

Smash Lord
...because there's already a real, very official name for it

assuming that you're already conceding that you aren't calling it 'toadstool' by mistake (which plenty of people do), then you're just one of those people that has to rename everything, which is just a huge pet peeve of mine :( (hyphen smash! dlx hit cancel! sponge bob square pants reverse cancelled aerial dash!)
Nah, I actually don't have a problem with either name. I use footstool sometimes, and I use toadstool sometimes; just like how people say side-b and forward-special, or Judge, or fair and box. Its not really a big deal in my perspective, just a name for jumping on someones head, lol.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Against my brother I was able to nair -> Dthrow, techchase with u-tilt and footstool to a dair.

I smashed him after the dair, but anyone with regular reactions would have seen that one coming. The rest looked fairly hard to dodge, as hard as techchasing and we do that all the time.

Neb

Smash Lord
Against my brother I was able to nair -> Dthrow, techchase with u-tilt and footstool to a dair.

I smashed him after the dair, but anyone with regular reactions would have seen that one coming. The rest looked fairly hard to dodge, as hard as techchasing and we do that all the time.
Sounds awesome, I would have never thought of techchasing into utilt!
I like it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Sounds awesome, I would have never thought of techchasing into utilt!
I like it.

Yea, he is really, really predictable, I was there before he rolled :urg:

The footstool combos seem to very flashy, but for GAW who can just turn around and 16% Bair the opponent...

chckn

Smash Ace
Yeah, I remember when the game first came out everyone was flipping **** over footstool to dairs but now it just seems like theres so many other better options. Ive never tried it out of an utilt but I will when I get home. And phloat, tech chasing with utilt is too fun lol. People dont expect it usually, and it doesnt have as much knockback as an usmash which allows you to combo out of.

Top Bottom