• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

funky crt colors

jaaj

Smash Rookie
my friend gave me an old crt she had lying around today, and i plugged it in at home but it seems there's some issue with the colors on the tv. everything seems darker with a purple shade over it, and it pretty much can't display the color green at all. for reference, i've included some pictures (no camera jank here, colors are as is):

http://imgur.com/a/y1UoO

would practicing on this tv have any negative effects? i personally don't see any issue playing with it, but i wouldn't want to if it'd have adverse affects on learning/playing on other tvs

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I wouldn't tolerate playing on a TV like this, but you might feel differently. Colour is an important factor in visually identifying things, especially fast-moving things as you would often find in Melee.

I'm fairly sure this has happened because your TV has been magnetised. If that's the case then you'll have to degauss it to fix it (though I can't help you with that).

Last edited:

kashmoney

Smash Rookie
Most CRTs either have a button to degauss somewhere physically, or you can degauss them through the menu of the TV. There should be a Menu button somewhere and a degauss option should appear in there somewhere.

Fashion

Smash Rookie
I'm no expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but seeing as you've got a Sony Trinitron, my guess would be that there is an option in the service menu somewhere that can adjust the Red, Green and Blue values of your TV's image. do you have the original remote? if so, you can input the service menu code to adjust geometry and color settings. again, this is something that shouldn't be done too hastily, and you should write down the current settings for the TV in case you happen to mess things up further. but I've rummaged around in the service menu of my Trinitron with a decent amount of success, so there's that.

edit: and like other people have said, it's possible this problem is due to some sort of damage to the TV itself, which would not (most likely) be fixed by adjust things in the service menu, but it might be worth a shot. and finally, a lot of CRT's can be degaussed by power cycling the TV (on for one minute, off for twenty minutes, repeat a couple of times) so you may need to try that as well.

Last edited:

Esther

Smash Rookie
to fix on sonytv there is no degause button. to fix leave tv plugged in, then turn off for 30 minute, after 30 minute it will auto degause. I would do one hour to be safe. turn back on and should be fixed. if not try plug into TV. cord might be broken.

jaaj

Smash Rookie
I'm no expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but seeing as you've got a Sony Trinitron, my guess would be that there is an option in the service menu somewhere that can adjust the Red, Green and Blue values of your TV's image. do you have the original remote? if so, you can input the service menu code to adjust geometry and color settings. again, this is something that shouldn't be done too hastily, and you should write down the current settings for the TV in case you happen to mess things up further. but I've rummaged around in the service menu of my Trinitron with a decent amount of success, so there's that.

edit: and like other people have said, it's possible this problem is due to some sort of damage to the TV itself, which would not (most likely) be fixed by adjust things in the service menu, but it might be worth a shot. and finally, a lot of CRT's can be degaussed by power cycling the TV (on for one minute, off for twenty minutes, repeat a couple of times) so you may need to try that as well.
thank you, i changed the green and red values around and it looks not quite right but a lot better than before lol

Fashion

Smash Rookie
thank you, i changed the green and red values around and it looks not quite right but a lot better than before lol
no problem at all. i'm glad you were able to get the problem at least somewhat resolved.

edit: and if your TV still has the model number listed on the back, you can generally google search a service manual for it. This will have the default settings for all the service menu options listed, which will give you a good place to start from if you want to do a full recalibration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom